SC Soccer
Posted By: Coach Cady 2015 Scoring - 04/07/15 12:35 AM
Will there be an effort to collect player scoring data this year? Last year's data appeared to stop as the website crashed.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/07/15 11:53 AM
Yes. We will collect data now and post on April 13. Click on this link to record your statistics.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7MMXGCK
Posted By: Coach Cady Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/14/15 04:25 PM
Kevin, Did you get enough response to make a table?
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/14/15 04:34 PM
Not many, but here is what's been turned in:

Girls
Kasey Parker Dreher SCHSL 3A Junior
74 35 4 4/7 Kasey hit the 100 goal mark for her career
Allie Young Governor's School for Science and Math SCHSL 1A Senior
60 28 4 Through participation in 8 games.
Kirstey Ellinger Dreher SCHSL 3A Senior
29 9 11
Naomi Mattheusen Dreher SCHSL 3A Freshman
27 11 5
Melinda Ingwersen Dreher SCHSL 3A Freshman
25 12 1
Sam Shaw Dreher SCHSL 3A Freshman
23 5 13
Boys
Jake Fuller Mauldin SCHSL 4A Senior
25 10 5 Committed to PC
Andrew Mohr Pendleton SCHSL 2A Sophomore
23 10 3
Jack Lesesne Beaufort SCHSL 3A Junior
22 9 4
TJ Williams Pendleton SCHSL 2A Sophomore
21 6 5
Andrew Mohr Pendleton SCHSL 2A Sophomore
21 9 3
Jack Gambla Beaufort SCHSL 3A Sophomore
20 9 2
Goalkeepers
Brooks Wilson Beaufort SCHSL 3A Junior 6 3 16 1.1
Posted By: Soccer 3 Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/15/15 07:53 PM
When/how often should stats be entered and/or updated?
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/16/15 02:03 PM
Every week from here until end of season.

SCSoccer.com will compile individual statistics weekly for the 2015 spring prep soccer season beginning April 13 and ending May 25.
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/17/15 03:04 PM
You may now input individual statistics on the main page of SCSoccer.com at this link.

Please do not nominate players that do not have the minimum 20 points accumulated or GKs with a GAA above 1.25.
Posted By: Coach Cady Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/18/15 07:34 PM
Kevin, Has there ever been consideration for using minutes played when computing scoring, like how it is used for goalkeeping stats? With some schools playing 20 to 25 games during the season and others playing 16 or less, it seems it would give a better indication.
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/18/15 07:40 PM
No. All teams are granted the opportunity to play 16 regular season matches and two tournaments or 18 games and one tourney. If they fail to take advantage of those competitions then so be it.

Strength of schedule plays a large part in weighing the "relevance" of the scoring records (i.e., a goal scored for Governor's School vs. St. Joseph's means a lot more than four goals scored against a lesser side).
Posted By: Coach Cady Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/18/15 10:02 PM
Kyle, my first thought in your response is - I wonder why that logic doesn't apply to goalkeepers? The logic appears to penalize the player that plays at a school that, for whatever reason, cannot play many games. It's not the players fault! With respect to the "relevance" of the scoring statistics, I thought that was why you were including school classification. When a knowledgeable person looks at the stats they should be able to draw the conclusion based on..."look where they play", "look at how many games it took for them to do that", etc. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Greenville Red Raider 15 Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/19/15 01:11 AM
My biggest gripe over the years with stats has been the fact that stats can say whatever you want them to say.

Take a GK from Irmo HS that has a 0.50 GAA and another from Greenville HS that has a 1.10 GAA. They've played different competition in different regions/classifications. It's a tough comparison.

Then you throw in the Podunk High teams that play NO ONE and they have some gaudy stats (both offensively and defensively), but get drubbe 10-0 in the first round of their playoffs.

It's fine for kids to get recognized, but stats are just that -- STATS.
Posted By: Greenville Red Raider 15 Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/19/15 01:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Coach Cady
Kyle, my first thought in your response is - I wonder why that logic doesn't apply to goalkeepers? The logic appears to penalize the player that plays at a school that, for whatever reason, cannot play many games. It's not the players fault! With respect to the "relevance" of the scoring statistics, I thought that was why you were including school classification. When a knowledgeable person looks at the stats they should be able to draw the conclusion based on..."look where they play", "look at how many games it took for them to do that", etc. Just my 2 cents.

My first response to such a statement is who does Governor's School play? No Hartsville, nor any of the Florence schools. Seems a tough sell as far as credibility Mr. Cady.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/19/15 02:51 AM
Stats are more than just stays. They help in telling what a team has/doesn't have. If a kid can score against low tier competition but is shutout every game against mid level & up competition, then that tells me that maybe he's not as good when faced against a decent or strong defense. If a keeper is averaging .21 GAA but allowed 9 goals in 3 games against the Wandos of the world, that also tells me something. Plus these stats on this level are mostly for the kids & the programs. Some programs who don't have the luxury of being in the "top tier" of HS soccer programs can give some shine to players that may get overlooked because they play for a "low tier" school.

I enjoy keeping stats for our boys program because the players can keep up with it during the season. If any have aspirations of playing in the next level, then there's numbers to backup the videos. Can they be misleading? Of course, but last I checked HS soccer wasn't ran on analytics. It's not like we're doing a true score rating or some Sloan conference data grabbing. It's just giving the kids shine.
Posted By: Coach Cady Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/19/15 03:59 AM
Folks, this thread had a question/recommendation to make the scoring part of the stats more in line with the goalkeeper stats. If its right to have Goals Against Average why not have Points Scored Average?

Eaglesfutbol, that's more or less how I look at it. I was just recommending adding another level of comparison to the equation. I can't do anything about the number of games we play, but because it seems other coaches can then our player's talent should have an asterisk next to it. Likewise, I can't do anything about the level of competition we face, but because it seems other coaches can then our player's talent should have an asterisk next to it.
With respect to GRR15, you are right we are limited in who we play - but you are probably referring more to the GSSM boys team, because the girls team has played Hartsville twice, and no we haven't played a Florence team but it is not because we don't want to, it's because there is no room in THEIR schedule for us. But this thread wasn't about how good or bad the GSSM programs are. I'll debate the fairness of the SC High School Soccer community all night long - but let's do it in a different thread.
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/19/15 04:14 AM
Coach Cady I actually like your idea, but I like analytics. That's something I hadn't thought of doing & am going to try that formula w/ my teams & see what that tells me. Doubt it'll get any traction because some teams have a hard enough time keeping goals much less minutes played by players
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/19/15 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Coach Cady

Dick, if GSSM keeps track of minutes played by field players then by all means include those in your statistics report. However, I don't know of many teams that keep that stat.
Posted By: Coach Cady Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/19/15 12:50 PM
Kyle, we do keep track of minutes played - but only to aid me in trying to give the players a fair shake in playing time. Minutes for the scoring stats is probably too fine a detail. Next you'd have to qualify the minutes by what position they were playing. It works for goalkeepers because it's only one position. My thoughts were just to use number of games. It certainly isn't perfect, it just seemed to address the fact that some teams only play 15 or 16 games while others play 24 or 25. Another way to look at it would be two players on the same team - same opponents. Player A scores 2 goals a game, player B scores 3. Player B only plays in 10 games due to an injury - 60 points. Player A plays in 20 games - 80 points. From a soccer player point of view, which is the better scorer?
Posted By: upstatesoccermom Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/20/15 01:21 PM
[quote=Then you throw in the Podunk High teams that play NO ONE and they have some gaudy stats (both offensively and defensively), but get drubbe 10-0 in the first round of their playoffs. [/quote]

Podunk High? What an insulting post. There are plenty of teams in Greenville & Columbia that play NO ONE either.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/20/15 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: upstatesoccermom
Quote:
Then you throw in the Podunk High teams that play NO ONE and they have some gaudy stats (both offensively and defensively), but get drubbe 10-0 in the first round of their playoffs.

Podunk High? What an insulting post. There are plenty of teams in Greenville & Columbia that play NO ONE either.

Really? Out of everything posted, you pick up on the Podunk High... You must be bored. I feel your pain.
Posted By: upstatesoccermom Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/20/15 02:32 PM
It was hard to miss smile
Posted By: MT4ME Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/20/15 02:40 PM
It looks to me that just a few coaches reported the stats for their team. So, in reality, it's hard to know who is scoring what, no matter the competition they face.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/20/15 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: MT4ME
It looks to me that just a few coaches reported the stats for their team. So, in reality, it's hard to know who is scoring what, no matter the competition they face.

I agree with this. There are teams that attempt to keep stats, but a majority of schools probably do not keep up with them and if they do, it is very simple. (How many goals scored and by who)
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: 2015 Scoring - 04/20/15 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: eMnAvA
Originally Posted By: MT4ME

I agree with this. There are teams that attempt to keep stats, but a majority of schools probably do not keep up with them and if they do, it is very simple. (How many goals scored and by who)

I think that's what many schools do. The only reason why I can keep up w/ minutes & some of the other stats I do w/ Beaufort JV & V is because the app I use to do the stats makes it so easy to do so. Otherwise I don't think I'd keep up w/ minutes played, shots, steals, TOs, etc
Posted By: Kevin Heise Re: 2015 Scoring - 05/18/15 06:38 PM
SCSoccer.com Statistics have been updated as of 5.18.15 at 2:30 p.m. Please continue to submit stats through May 25th.

http://www.scsoccer.com/home/872542.html
Posted By: the voice of reason Re: 2015 Scoring - 05/18/15 06:42 PM
What is the minimum number of points a player needs to have to be on the list? How about max GAA for GKers?
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: 2015 Scoring - 05/18/15 07:28 PM
20 Points (i.e, 8G, 4A)
1.25 GAA (Goals x 80 / Minutes Played)
© SC Soccer