SC Soccer
The State's All-Area teams are chosen by Midlands coaches. Each coach nominates a team (players from Midlands schools only) and submits them to The State. The players with the most votes are placed on the team. In the event of a tie, season statistics and postseason honors are considered in the tie-breaking process. Members of The State's sports department reserve the right to break ties. The same process is used in choosing players of the year. Next Week: All-Area Girls Soccer.

CLASS 4A
Danny Cates, SR, M, Dutch Fork
Andrew Chavarria, SR, M, Lexington
Mike Czulinski, SR, F, Spring Valley
Jugal Dalal, SR, M, Irmo
Sean Flynn, SR, M, Spring Valley
Zack Houghton, SR, D, Spring Valley
Kyle Hubbard, D, Irmo
Daniel Lynch, SR, D, Irmo
Tanner Osborne, SR, K, Lexington - PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Taylor Varney, JR, F, Irmo
Thomas Wollersheium, JR, F, Spring Valley

CLASS 3A
Eduardo Adam, JR, F, Brookland-Cayce
Greg DeMare, SR, K, Chapin - PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Adam Dillihay, F, Dreher
Chris Muthig, D, SR, A.C. Flora
Byron Quinatoa, JR, M, Dreher
Robby Setzler, SR, M, Brookland-Cayce
David Slaughter, SR, D, Chapin
Brodie Wall, SR, D, Brookland-Cayce
Cameron Wegrzyn, FR, F, A.C. Flora
Tyler Williams, SR, D, Chapin
Jim Wolf, JR, M, Blythewood

CLASS 2A
Kurt Bostelear, F, Batesburg-Leesville
Chaz Dachenhaus, SR, K, Batesburg-Leesville - PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Jonathan Dachenhaus, JR, D, Batesburg-Leesville
Ben Grime, M, Batesburg-Leesville
Logan Grime, F, Batesburg-Leesville
Elliott Jeffcoat, M, Batesburg-Leesville
Jose Miranda, D, Batesburg-Leesville
Michael Oswald, M, Batesburg-Leesville
Wade Savant, SR, F, Gilbert
Jacob Stuckey, D, Gilbert
Matt Yuhas, M, Gilbert

SCISA
Mike Beaudoin, JR, F, Cardinal Newman
Kevin Chang, F, Ben Lippen
Cale Fowble, D, Heathwood Hall
Stiles Harper, M, Hammond
Justin Holliday, D, Hammond
Zach Hrovat, SO, D, Cardinal Newman
Nick O'Rourke, SO, M, Cardinal Newman
Davis Powell, D, Ben Lippen
Ross Power, SR, K, Hammond
Jordan Troyer, SR, F, Hammond - PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Thomas Winstead, JR, M, Cardinal Newman
Interesting that three of the four Players of the Year are goalkeepers.
Anyone know how many schools/soccer programs the midlands encompass?
Quote:

Anyone know how many schools/soccer programs the midlands encompass?

This is including schools in Lexington/Richland Counties.

4A (7)
Dutch Fork, 12-11-1, #10
Irmo, 20-4, #3
Lexington, 15-9, #5
Richland Northeast, 11-8-1
Ridge View, 6-15
Spring Valley, 25-1, #2
White Knoll, 6-11-1

3A (8)
Airport, 5-14-1
Blythewood, 17-6-1, #11
Brookland-Cayce, 19-6-1, #4
Chapin, 22-4, #2
Dreher, 15-8, #8
Eau Claire, 0-12
A.C. Flora, 9-11
Swansea, 0-17

2A (3)
Batesburg-Leesville, 12-7, #5
Gilbert, 14-9
Columbia, 2-9-2

SCISA (4)
Ben Lippen, 8-13, #9
Cardinal Newman, 18-7, #4
Hammond, 16-3, #3
Heathwood Hall, 6-11
Kudos to The State for taking the time to research and identify only 11 players (by position) for each team.

I believe it makes the honor more significant. Tough team to make.
Blythewood was Co-Champions of their region and they only get one player? How does AC Flora get 2 finishing 3rd in their region and having a losing record???
Because it's the individual player voted on, not pro-rated by how the school he played for finished. Therefore, it should represent the better talent.
its kind of like a kick in the face, your post sounds like your saying Blythewood had no talent to have a 17-6-1 season and make it to the third round of play-offs.
This makes my blood boil! Flora scored 3 goals against these AAA teams and allowed 18 (that's an AVG of 0.5-3 per game): Chapin (0-2), BC (0-4), Dreher (1-2, 0-3), and BWood (0-4, 2-3). They don't deserve anyone on the team much less 2 players! BWood should've had at lest 2 guys make the team.
Quote:

its kind of like a kick in the face, your post sounds like your saying Blythewood had no talent to have a 17-6-1 season and make it to the third round of play-offs.

No, no, never intended to slight any school. Just saying that coaches voted on players and schools didn't automatically get slots for the all-area team.
Some newspapers even offer 2nd team all-area listings as a way to get more players celebrated.
Never meant to offend.
Hatem..."kind of edgy ain't we"! In your opinion who is the one additional Blythewood player you think should be included?

Blythewood's numbers weren't exactly stellar against these same teams either: BC(0-6), Dreher(0-3, 2-1) and you didn't even play Chapin. If you look at common opponents between the two teams Blythewood gets the edge offensively but Flora gets the edge defensively: 14 common opponent games Blythewood(60 goals scored 33 goals given up) AC Flora (49 goals scored 25 goals given up). Oh, and Blythewood gave up two of those goals to Eau Claire.

It must be a vast right-wing conspiracy against Blythewood!
soccer16 you make a good point but lets look at the finishing record for both teams and region record. Blythewoods finishing record was 17-6-1, A.C. Flora's was 9-11.Region record for Blythewood was 11-1 only loss to a #8 ranked Dreher team, A.C. Flora's region record was 8-4. If you have forgotten Blythewood is a 3 year progam some of the players had not played together in a game against a top opponent like BC.( not taking anything away from the win for BC)And you trying to take away the 2 goals that Eau Claire scored against us, that team may not have the skills as alot of other teams but i can guarentee you they have more heart than most of them. You are also forgetting a very big win over Daniel second round of play-offs who was at the time #10 and had recently upset a talented Greenville team who was #1 at the time.What did A.C. Flora do in playoffs? oh yea they lost to Wade Hampton 1-0... im not argueing with the choice of having only 1 Blythewood player on the team its the coach's choice.
Bengal #11 - I did not mean to degrade Blythewood with my comments but to defend AC Flora against the comments of others.

AC Flora lost 4 of it's starters in the first 2 weeks of the season. 2 of those players were lost for the season and the other two only returned the last game of the regular season. The comments about forgetting that Blythewood is just a 3 year program really doesn't hold water. This would only give other schools a 1 year advantage as High School is only 4 years. Then take into account the enrollment of the schools. I would think that Blythewood had many more students tryout for varsity soccer than did AC Flora. AC Flora's coach has only been there 2 years. I agree with your comments about Eau Clair, however, they only scored 4 goals all season.

I know that at least two of Blythewoods players play Region III Premier League and many more play club ball. So where is the inexperience. This same inexperience arguement/not playing together can easily be used in support of AC Flora. The 4 losses in region were to Dreher and Blythewood. Yep, Blythewood came in 2nd and AC Flora 3rd. But the last Blythewood game was determined on penalty kicks.

Blythewood should be commended for a fine season. Obviously, their are some of your supporters who disagree with the selection of this team. I am interested to hear what their suggestions are for improving the selection process?

BTW-I hope you enjoy your new class and region! Hopefully, Blythewood and AC Flora will be able to play several more intense contests in the future.
Link to The State/Neighbor's All-Area Boys Team 2008.
No offense taken i agree with you completely, i do disagree with the whole part about Blythewood having more kids come out. We only had just enough players to make a JV and V team no one was told they couldnt play soccer for Blythewood besides the seniors who couldnt play JV and were not good enough for Varsity.
Who were the starters Soccer16?

Flora's two players chosen were deserving. Both excel at what they do.
I'm not sure who you take off, but if you had seen Aaron Mayes for Blythewood play throughout the year you would have to vote him on the team. IMO, if Aaron's not on the team, Blythewood probably doesn't tie the region and make the playoffs.

Not slighting Eau Claire, they played Blythewood with as much heart as any team all year, but if you had been there you would have seen why the two goals were scored.
Agreed Aaron is a very taltented player definatly one of the best on our team. if we didnt have him this year i would predict maybe a 10 win season not making it past the first round of play-offs and us giving up more than 60+ goals all year.

The two goals were scored when our coach took out a player because we were just botting it over the Eau Claire defense he wanted to make us have to pass around them to score so that we actually got something out of it. The funny thing is the 2 goals Eau Claire scored on us were scored on Mr. Jim Wolf the only player on our team to make all area.

cockn'fyr you must attend Blythewood high no?
I just want to show my appretiation to those of you who did take the inititive to make this list of young men who had a great season.
No, just a fan.
Tanner Osborne, Lexington

Greg DeMare, Chapin

Chaz Dachenhaus, Batesburg-Leesville

Jordan Troyer, Hammond
© SC Soccer