SC Soccer
Posted By: Soccer16 State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/07/09 12:28 PM
Does the State Newspaper plan on naming all area teams for soccer? I believe just about every all area team has been named except soccer and the season has been over for what 2 months now! I guess the cuts to this newspaper are worse than other papers because the State would be the last to name their team. In today's paper another wonderful article about a football hopeful with fatherhood weighing on his mind! Between these types of articles and Michael Jackson there is just no room in the paper anymore!
Let's not forget 2 weeks of all you ever wanted to know and more on the LUV GOV!!!!

Plus,The State has had so many cuts they are probably down to a precious few writers and even in the sports section a soccer All Area Team won't sell newspapers like the latest drug scandal involving Nascar's Jeremy Methhead.
Posted By: Coach P Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/07/09 02:55 PM
They list one All-Area team each Thursday in the Neighbors section. It takes a while to get around to them all when they only do one per week.
Posted By: Soccer16 Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/07/09 06:56 PM
Are you talking about all region or all area? Last year the State Newspaper had only one all area team for each class. Take a look at how they have announced Tennis, Track, Baseball, Golf..............
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/09/09 09:19 AM
Boys Class 4A
PLAYER OF THE YEAR - Zach Acree, Irmo

Boys Class 3A
PLAYER OF THE YEAR - Taylor Lewis, Brookland-Cayce

Boys Class 2A
PLAYER OF THE YEAR - Eliese Cedillo, Gilbert

Boys SCISA
PLAYER OF THE YEAR - Nick O'Rourke, Cardinal Newman
Posted By: Coach P Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/09/09 12:20 PM
Quote:

Are you talking about all region or all area? Last year the State Newspaper had only one all area team for each class. Take a look at how they have announced Tennis, Track, Baseball, Golf..............

All area. One sport each week in the neighbors section. This week it is boys' soccer. So it takes quite a few weeks to get around to them all.
Posted By: The Hammer Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/09/09 12:26 PM
How did White Knoll not have a boy named to the team?
The boy from whieknoll should have been on the team.

And for the 3A all area player of the year? Seriously? That kid couldnt even make a State ODP team.. wonder how he is in the state newspaper for all area team! Politics, politics, politics!

Shocks me that the 2 best players in all area for 3A arent the one that is player of the year. (Byron - going to P.C. and Joey going to College of Charleston!) Byron was his team and is such unique player. Joey is by far the best player in 3A and in state besides Miguel Acree Martinez's and Lundy all pretty equal. He had like 35 goals this year?? Byron was a senior as well... he should have gotten that award.
In 4A White Knoll's Jonathan Salinas - got robbed

What was up with 2A? Gilbert - Batesburg - Batesburg - Gilbert. Are there no other 2A schools in the area with soccer programs?

In 3A Taylor Lewis very deserving for all area team - but player of the year? maybe next season but this season - not hardly

Joey is a great player but what an attitude

Byron made a not so good team scary to play and in my book was most deserving
One thing I think I've learned over the past few years of watching area high school soccer and post season MVP/POY awards... it's not always enough to be the best player - you have to have a few other factors working in your favor as well.
I agree... Joey has an attitude but atleast he keeps his nose out of trouble. The best players usually have attitudes..When he goes to College of Charleston he will learn to not to have such a temper. Is it CofC or clemson? I heard the other week he was Clemson...? Byron i felt was most deserving as well. he is a senior give him some credit for the work he did. I mean Taylor Lewis? Who is that?

Demare, Acree, and Martinez will be competing for the S.C. Gatorade player of the year next year. Possibly Antoine if he can get something going with his weak SV team. Fair enough to say S.C. Has got some major talent!!
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/09/09 08:17 PM
Rollingpurple funny guy. Ask who Taylor Lewis is, but then state he not make ODP. RP must know TL for many years because TL not try out for ODP for many years. Achmed think being selected SC United FC may just be more prestigious than ODP.

Achmed see JD and BQ play couple times this year. While good, Achmed see nothing that would put them above TL. However Achmed have seen many things that TL done to earn him his spot. His twinkle toes never ceases to amaze.

All Area is for the best over all players and being a senior should not even come into play. If did, that be politics.

Also, TL not have attitude that need be fixed. Great kid with GPA that knocks 4.0 off the chart. Maybe things like this come into play in these decisions, as they should.

Mark Achmed’s word; we will hear much about TL and BC next spring.
It's called sarcacism smallsodaman..Didnt everyone who tried out for the Academy team make it? There is no team there is just a pool of players.. i think maybe they cut like 4 kids?? Haha.. Bottom line is politics are involved with him getting this award. Taylor Lewis sounds like a great kid off the field...But this is on the field.. if you watch premier league or any professional players, they compete, they have tempers.. Not such a bad thing to be competitive. It's called the will to win and succeed. Example. Wayne Rooney. Watching players like Alex Martinez and Joey demare play only show people how the game should be played. You cant be "Nice" on the field. I watched both of those players play, similar attitude..and they continually gain success and both have BRIGHT futures ahead.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/09/09 11:16 PM
Rollingpurple talk in circle, make Achmed dizzy. Say CofC will fix Joey temper, but then says you can’t be “Nice” on field. So, does it need to be fixed or not?

Being an A$$ on field not make one a good player. It just makes one an A$$. Big difference between be competitive and taking cheap (and dangerous) shots. If you can’t play with the big boys….cheat.

RP right about one thing. TL great kid off the field. Also great kid on the field, both attitude and skill wise. Future bright even if he hangs up cleats.

Very easy to throw out “politics” as an excuse when you don’t get your way. So back it up. What politics are involved here?
Were there politics involved last year when Greg DeMare got it????
Posted By: squanc Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/09/09 11:26 PM
congrats to all the players on these teams. my old coach use to say "soccer is all about opinions" so the state paper had their opinion. why dont we just congradulate whoever made the team and be done with it. i feel bad for saying this but is it just me or was the photographer like hey zack why dont you pose like fabio and look like a little swedish milk maid for me?
CofC will help his attitude in maturity but otherwise what is wrong with his attitude? He's a competitve player.. Both martinez and him.

Never really payed attention to 3A before so i dont recall Greg Demare getting it. But if he did get it then he was probally rightfully deserving because he was the reason why chapin beat Northwestern last year. We killed them the whole game but then he stopped all of our shots. We were missing Alex that game too though.

All im saying is, Lewis was not the best in 3A all area. but good for him for the achievement. Also...people talk about martinez and demares attitude a lot of the time because they are jealous of there high achievements.

Congrats to these players..
Posted By: Moo Point Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/10/09 03:37 AM
The picture of Acree looks like the bad guy Vigo in Ghostbusters II!
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/10/09 10:06 AM
Quote:

.. wonder how he is in the state newspaper for all area team! Politics, politics, politics!

Quote:

i dont recall Greg Demare getting it. But if he did get it then he was probally rightfully deserving

Last year "deserving", this year "Politics".
It must be that darn Obama's fault :-)

Congrats to All!
Funny joke small soda man...
Posted By: Soccer16 Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/10/09 03:38 PM
DeMare 23 matches 28 G 12 A - 2.96 Points per game
Lewis 26 matches 30 G 7 A - 2.58 PPG
Wegrzyn 20 matches 18 G 17 A - 2.65 PPG
Quinatoa 20 matches 16 G 7 A - 1.95 PPG
Verano - Unavailable

Who knows what the criteria is that The State Newspaper uses. Finding stats is not that difficult but with all of their cuts it is to be expected. All of the players are deserving and exceptional soccer players. IMO - stats are not the best way to evaluate players as defenders would have no chance. I listed stats so that embellishment could not strengthen discussions here.
Posted By: Cola Fan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/10/09 04:49 PM
I see these teams more than any other since Memorial Stadium sits practically in my backyard. I've been watching Dreher and their regular opponents for years.

MASSEY RATING (Record vs. "Like Teams")
#17 Chapin (4-0)
#36 Airport (3-3-1)
#38 Brookland-Cayce (4-2)
#42 A.C. Flora (0-3-1)
#62 Dreher (1-4)

SCORES
Airport 2-0 BC
Airport 4-3 Dreher
Airport 4-2 Dreher
BC 3-1 Airport
BC 2-1 Airport
BC 1-0 Dreher
BC 1-0 ACF
Chapin 2-1 Airport
Chapin 4-1 Dreher
Chapin 5-2 ACF
Chapin 3-0 ACF
Dreher 2-1 BC
ACF 2-2 Airport

DID NOT PLAY
BC vs. Chapin (was scheduled I think) & Dreher vs. ACF (don't know why this rivalry game was not played)

SYNOPSIS
Who cares? They are all good players. DeMare has a terrible attitude but is a darned good player. He might be the least liked teammate I've ever seen. Lewis seemed to be all that his team had offensively. Wegrzyn racks up against weaker sides but never seems to do anything vs. good competition. Quinatoa is outstanding but seemed disinterested at times due to the poor quality around him this year. Verano shows glimpses of brilliance but then goes into a shell for long periods of time.

I believe only Quinatoa was a senior so it should be interesting again next spring with the returning talent for these teams.
I mean i see how Demare can get a temper sometimes but that's enthusiasm and the desire for the game. Whats so wrong with his attitude?
Posted By: doh_man Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/10/09 06:18 PM
I'm at a grocery store and some kids is screaming a yelling because he wants some candy.
That's ok, he just showing enthusiasm.

D'OH!
? haha i mean who really cares? He is sick.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/11/09 01:38 PM
Sick is a midfielder getting all those goals
If you are a bc fan didn't we beat u in a tournament like 10-0 up in Manchester medows? Haha Taylor lewis didn't do much against the mighty Trojans! Where has he even clubbed his whole youth career...? Demare plays midfield by the way so I guess that is sick to score that many goals against such a quality schedule.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/11/09 08:34 PM
Rollingpurple need to get life. Achmed notice all replies are within minutes of the post he reply to. Does your momma know you hang out on scsoccer.com all day?

Achmed figure poor Rollingpurple must have put all eggs in the ol soccer basket and that didn’t work out, so you probable have nothing going for you now but memories. And now only way you can feel important is to try a belittle someone else, who is not allowed to fight back.

Please notice Achmed would never says anything condescending about actual player, only about general behavior. Achmed bigger than that.

And what is with all the “haha” remarks. Is Rollingpurple little girl?

Yes, SSM big BC fan. But SSM also Trojan fan, so haha!
Actually Manchester Medows (sic) was more of scrimmage than game. Having to going back two and half years proves Achmed’s point, RP has no life.

Achmed could try to explain reasons why ODP and traveling Clubs don’t appeal so much to the more academically gifted kids, but it would be way over RP’s head.

Achmed has beat this camel enough, so in closing Achmed would like to say again, Joey is good player, however believes the Lewis kid rightfully deserves player of the year (and doesn’t deserved to be belittled by no one).
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/12/09 04:50 AM
RP, not to jump in, but...if the award is to recognize performance and achievement in 3A high school soccer...exactly how should a player's club experience factor into the decision? Either a player performed well on the high school field or he didn't; in recognizing that, club is irrelevant.

Also, if a player can do exceptionally well in the high school venue WITHOUT the added advantage of high-level club training, that would seem to speak even more highly of his individual ability to master the game.

I can't judge the young man from firsthand experience--just making a statement of general reason.
Posted By: Young Jeezy Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/12/09 04:34 PM
RP SADNH!
Well done to all these players. Great season boys!

Achmed, I wouldn't call the game at Manchester Meadows more of a scrimmage. That was a good game to impress some of the colleges in attendance. And I doubt BC took that game more as a scrimmage. That would be a disrespect to BC as well as Northwestern. But that was a long time ago so this doesn't really matter I guess!
Quote:

It's called sarcacism smallsodaman..Didnt everyone who tried out for the Academy team make it? There is no team there is just a pool of players.. i think maybe they cut like 4 kids?? Haha..

My understanding is alot more than 4 kids were cut for the Academy team. With the talent on the U18 for Taylor to make the team shows he must be pretty good. I have heard however that several kids did opt to go directly to the Developmental Player roster that actually were offered spots on the Full Time roster. Guess I could see this on the U16 side but not the U 18 side. The U16's still have a year to decide if the Academy is really for them - so the Developmental Player option may be a good one for them. As far as not making ODP - do you know if Taylor even tried out? With the Academy becoming what it is now ODP will no longer be the measuring stick it once was.
Your right I think academy will be the new odp... And more of a measuring stick. I wish I could play for the academy but my playing days are over for club that is. Odp used to be the main thing to be measured on but now that academy is here that will make soccer in the u.s.a better I believe.... Congrats to lewis... I'm just ready to watch my boy alex tear it up in academy along with joey dennis and antoine. That's going to be un real.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/13/09 12:57 AM
OK, who are you and what have you done with rollingpurple?
Posted By: soccertennis Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/13/09 01:10 AM
I think the SC academy is the best players in the state,the team was chosen by four different workouts, so every kid had a fair chance to make the team or pool. Plus you had many different coaches who did the evaluations much different than ODP which mainly has one coach who picks the team. I think the way the academy does the try-out takes some of the politics out of the selection process and gives every player a fair shot.
I'm still here man.... I just dont feel like arguing about the lewis kid anymore. I had my thought on it so did u... Over with. Congrats to him! Soccer tennis-- that was a great post. The academy really is a great way of evaluating players and developing them.

Smallsodaman- what do u think about alex Martinez joey demare antoine partis tyler lewis Zach acre all playing together on one team?
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 07/13/09 11:43 AM
Quote:

Smallsodaman- what do u think about alex Martinez joey demare antoine partis tyler lewis Zach acre all playing together on one team?

That about what Northwestern had this last year.
Posted By: SmallSodaMan Re: State Newspaper All Area Team ????? - 08/20/09 04:17 PM
Lewis kid verbally commits to College of Charleston.

http://www.scsoccer.com/forum/showflat.p...true#Post125807

Quote:

Mark Achmed’s word; we will hear much about TL and BC next spring.

© SC Soccer