SC Soccer
Posted By: mccarthy_coach Great Officiating - 03/16/11 04:19 PM
Just wanted to compliment the officiating crew at our game last night. Colin Kent and Jeremy Cowan did a fantastic job of managing the game. One thing I really liked is that if there was a controversial tackle or foul they both handled it well, and warned the player, and then warned the coach that the player had received their one warning. Most of the time unfortunately you see the official whip out a card at the first moment they can because they are drooling over it. I feel the other officials can take note of this and give the coach a "heads up" that they have warned the player, this gives the coach a chance to decide to sub that player to let him cool down a bit, or decide to let him keep playing; instead of just carding a player for ONE tackle. Great job you two, just wanted to give a thanks to those two for the best job I have seen done by a two man system ever.
Posted By: Soccerdog6 Re: Great Officiating - 03/16/11 04:55 PM
What game? Where? Who are these guys?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Great Officiating - 03/16/11 05:06 PM
I hope this thread is 10 pages long by the end of the season.
Posted By: Import Re: Great Officiating - 03/16/11 05:13 PM
From what I have seen my last 4-5 games, this is the exception and not the rule. Hopefully this will be the type of crews we see at the FM Invitational this weekend!
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/16/11 05:49 PM
Great OP
Posted By: momofboywholovessoccer Re: Great Officiating - 03/16/11 05:58 PM
And they did a good job with a two-man system. We had three last night and they let the game completely get away from them.
Posted By: Cesc_Fabregas Re: Great Officiating - 03/17/11 12:43 AM
can we know what game it was?
Posted By: GHS Eagles Re: Great Officiating - 03/17/11 01:13 AM
Colin was a very good collegiate midfielder and knows the game well. Very rare that good officiating and hs soccer are in the same sentence.
Posted By: mccarthy_coach Re: Great Officiating - 03/17/11 02:43 PM
It was Dreher vs. Midland Valley earlier in the week. Colin was a great player at Lander I played with him there.
Posted By: SpacemanSpiff Re: Great Officiating - 03/18/11 03:18 PM
Quote:

It was Dreher vs. Midland Valley earlier in the week. Colin was a great player at Lander I played with him there.

Great, a DII Lander love-fest!
Posted By: the voice of reason Re: Great Officiating - 03/18/11 03:26 PM
As a proud Lander Senator alum, I'll get in on this Lander love-fest! However, they will always be the Senators to me... none of this "Bearcat" nonsense.

Anyway, great job last night from Howard Ash III in the middle of our game versus Hanahan. His ARs did a good job too.
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/18/11 03:32 PM
Ok...2 pages long. We're getting there Hurst
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Great Officiating - 03/18/11 03:51 PM
I'm watching......
Posted By: Dender Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 03:16 AM
The two officials that did the Riverside vs Norcross game I thought did a fantastic job! By far the best I have had this year.
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 03:18 AM
Surely there was more than one match that had officiating worthy of being noted in this most benevolent thread. What's wrong with you people? POST!
Posted By: That Guy Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 11:21 AM
So what do you have to say about the crew that ejected you?
Posted By: DirtyMone Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 11:53 AM
The two man crew that did the Walhalla @ St. Joe's JV make-up match were very good. They let the kids play, but kept everything under control. Wish I knew their names.
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 12:10 PM
Quote:

I removed myself because I got tired of arguing with the great officiating.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 01:20 PM
The 3-man crew that did Wando-Beaufort on Friday was gawdawful. Ref barely left the center circle. only one of the ARs had a clue.
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 01:56 PM
Quote:

The 3-man crew that did Wando-Beaufort on Friday was gawdawful. Ref barely left the center circle. only one of the ARs had a clue.

Sorry...but this thread is for GOOD officiating. Please take the complaints to the complaint department

Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 01:56 PM
Hey Hurst...Page 3!!!!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 02:00 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I removed myself because I got tired of arguing with the great officiating.

This is my favorite one so far, done in good taste. BE NICE!
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 03:20 PM
My response would be, while it's nice to recognize a job well-done, or even passably done, "passable" SHOULD be the minimum expectation level for ADULT/PAID officials. To me, recognizing a job well-done is kind of like giving a trophy to everyone who participates in the local rec league.
It's SUPPOSED to be well-done.
But if it makes folks happy, have at it.
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 03:29 PM
Quote:

My response would be, while it's nice to recognize a job well-done, or even passably done, "passable" SHOULD be the minimum expectation level for ADULT/PAID officials. To me, recognizing a job well-done is kind of like giving a trophy to everyone who participates in the local rec league.

I reckon titles don't mean much as well as context. So easy to criticize, but difficult to offer praise and compliments. I'm guilty of the criticizing part, but many people come here to talk smack about 14 year old kids and guys that are getting paid peanuts to put in an ENORMOUS amount of hours in order to coach, and many of these programs are not gifted with challenge or region III players or even classic players.

So YES...it does make me happy when I see a thread like this.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 03:31 PM
The question, Backscreen, is what is your level of expectation, and, is it reasonable?

How often do you send your steak back at Ruth's Chris?
How often do you send your burger back at McDonald's?
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 03:31 PM
Quote:

GREAT IDEA! Let's take away state championships and all-region honors. In fact, coach of the year should be removed as well. Instead, we can just hand out a capri-sun and little debbie cake at the end of practice. Aren't these players and coaches suppose to do a good job?

Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 04:07 PM
Two different things, and a lousy analogy.

1) Excellence SHOULD be recognized with all-region, COY-type honors. Mediocrity (or worse) SHOULD NOT (and is not) recognized.

2) Adult officials are not competing with each other to win or lose; they are attempting to reach an objective standard of officiating. Comparing their job with coaches' and (especially) players' is a reach.

3) A player/coach can do a great job and lose! Happens all the time. Officials who do a lousy job can affect outcomes.
Sadly, THAT happens all-too-often in ALL high school sports in SC.

4) When a player doesn't meet expectations, he may see less playing time. A coach? May be replaced. High school soccer officials? Where's the accountability? Everyone -- especially the players -- knows who the bad ones are. But I'll bet, the guy I saw in Beaufort last week will be in North Charleston next week, and Moncks Corner the week after. I'll know exactly where to find him, too. Firmly planted in the center circle, 50 yards from the call he misses.
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 04:18 PM
Quote:

Two different things, and a lousy analogy.

1) Excellence SHOULD be recognized with all-region, COY-type honors. Mediocrity (or worse) SHOULD NOT (and is not) recognized.

2) Adult officials are not competing with each other to win or lose; they are attempting to reach an objective standard of officiating. Comparing their job with coaches' and (especially) players' is a reach.

3) A player/coach can do a great job and lose! Happens all the time. Officials who do a lousy job can affect outcomes.

4) When a player doesn't meet expectations, he may see less playing time. A coach? May be replaced. High school soccer officials? Where's the accountability? Everyone -- especially the players -- knows who the bad ones are. But I'll bet, the guy I saw in Beaufort last week will be in North Charleston next week, and Moncks Corner the week after. I'll know exactly where to find him, too. Firmly planted in the center circle, 50 yards from the call he misses.

Hyperbole can be a great asset...or a lousy liability.
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 04:44 PM
Or just plain true.

I'll ask again ... where's the accountability?
Posted By: The Chief Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 04:46 PM
Quote:

An official can do a great job and still impact the outcome of a game too, and it happens in all sports all the time. Every Ref will make "bad" calls in just about every game, they can not see everything all the time. A fan in the stands can see a lot a ref on the pitch can not; grabbing from behind, pushing in a crowd, ect. The ref has to call the game he sees not what the fans sees, and IMHO that is often a big part of the "Boy did our ref stink" gripe.

Too often people are critical of the refs but have never done the job. Like most everything in life it is easier to stand back and make "the right call" when your not under pressure.

Maybe the purpose of this thread would be better served if we recognized the good refs and what they did that made them stand out!
Hard part for many is that they forget that when a ref does a good job he tends to disappear when you look back at the game, becasue he/she set the tone/limits for the game with the calls and the players understood and it was their play you remember.
Posted By: Notsofastfriend Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 05:18 PM
4...4 pages...ah ah

(done in best Count impersonation from Sesame Street)
Posted By: Backscreen17 Re: Great Officiating - 03/21/11 05:21 PM
Well, let's do it right then.

You guys know the refs. Name 10 statewide you'd want working a road game your team must win. Let's give them the credit!
© SC Soccer