SC Soccer
Posted By: boyerphil Stoppage Time - 04/30/15 01:18 PM
Question: Without a major injury where a player is having to receive treatment on the field occurring, what is the largest amount of stoppage time that you've seen given? Last night in our home match against Seneca, I had a ref give TEN minutes of stoppage time due to "fouls, throw-ins, and that one injury the GK got (which took 2 minutes to get him off the field and that is probably being generous)". This same referee gave 8 minutes of stoppage time last season in our away game against Walhalla, and there was not even an extended stoppage for injury in that one. In both cases, we have been leading with the other team chasing the game. There are multiple other reasons (dating back years with both our girls and guys programs) that I think there is some bias that this particular ref has against Daniel High, but I wanted to get some perspective and see if that high of stoppage time occurred elsewhere?
Posted By: Anthony Pelton Re: Stoppage Time - 04/30/15 03:40 PM
Must say it seems excessive in both cases. Almost must say the majority of our officiating has been good this year. When I was in the Lowcountry, we were allowed to black ball one name from officiating list if we felt conditions such as you mention existed. Both of my A.D's encouraged me to do this if deemed necessary.
Posted By: PaulSchleifer Re: Stoppage Time - 04/30/15 04:02 PM
Wish I could post video!
Posted By: SharksFutbol Re: Stoppage Time - 04/30/15 04:07 PM
We've had maybe one game this season where there was excessive stoppage time added for no reason. The longest time added in one of our games was last week & it was 6 minutes extra due to a player being down for that amount of time
Posted By: Warrior Re: Stoppage Time - 04/30/15 05:27 PM
There is not supposed to be stoppage time in a high school soccer contest. Time stops only on:

Goal, Penalty kick, yellow and red cards, and at discretion of referee (to assess possible injury, time wasting, etc.)
Posted By: JonPurdue Re: Stoppage Time - 04/30/15 07:14 PM
I have asked several referees their interpretation of this and I can tell you that it has been inconsistent at best as to when they stop their watch or not. It has been very inconsistent to say the least.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: Stoppage Time - 05/01/15 03:51 AM
Was told by a few referees the rules from the HSL state that a Varsity game will last 80 minutes or 2 - 40 minute halves. "Extra Time" or any other wording isn't allowed. The only time we can truly add time is when injuries have occurred that have cause massive delays.

So from the way I took it was, clock time is almost Exactly like college. Which besides injuries, runs by the scoreboard and ends exactly on time.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: Stoppage Time - 05/01/15 11:26 AM
Wait...the ref actually said he gave added time due to throw-ins??
Posted By: James Gray Re: Stoppage Time - 05/01/15 12:34 PM
You guys should move to where the scoreboard clock is the game clock. Then there is never any question how much time is left. I still don't understand why the scoreboard isn't the official time.
Posted By: boyerphil Re: Stoppage Time - 05/01/15 01:40 PM
From what everyone is saying, it sounds like what I already knew, but wanted to be confirmed. And yes, he really did say he added time due to throw ins. We've already told our school to request we not have this particular ref again for playoffs, hopefully our request is heard.
Posted By: arrgy Re: Stoppage Time - 05/03/15 01:20 AM
The only time I can see for adding time for balls in touch is if you do not have ball runners.

The worst I ever experienced was an assistant referee in a game that was already 8-0 with the losing team down to 10 men and the losing coaching begging me to get the center official to end the game. He added 6 minutes, when I asked him why, he said "I don't want to cheat the kids."

A lot of referees at the high school level sadly, have no common sense.
Posted By: PaulSchleifer Re: Stoppage Time - 05/04/15 02:26 AM
Wish we had 3 referees in our games. All the games this year have featured the 2-man system, which just does not work very well.
Posted By: 202677 Re: Stoppage Time - 05/04/15 11:02 AM
There should be a push by the coaches to insist on the three-man system. I can assure you as a referee, that we prefer this system as well.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: Stoppage Time - 05/04/15 02:53 PM
Why push when half or more schools wouldn't be able to afford it? Yes it would be very beneficial for a 3 man system but the money would make some programs be shut down.
Posted By: hattrick Re: Stoppage Time - 05/04/15 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: eMnAvA
Why push when half or more schools wouldn't be able to afford it? Yes it would be very beneficial for a 3 man system but the money would make some programs be shut down.

How much could it cost? I make around $50-$75 per game as AR (with my mileage). If you have 8-10 home games, that's only $750 max per team, not enough to keep them from doing it in mine eyes.
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: Stoppage Time - 05/04/15 06:02 PM
$750 May not seem like much to you but to some schools it means a lot. Some programs barely have enough to cover driver costs and mandatory home games.
Posted By: 202677 Re: Stoppage Time - 05/04/15 06:31 PM
Compared to football, you'd almost get a full season of a third-official for one home game of expenses in football. I've done both for a long time.

Regular Season

Class
1 - Field $86
2 - Field $74
3 - Field $63

Minimum - five home games for football x seven officials ($441 per game or $2,205 for all home games)
Posted By: NewberryGrad12 Re: Stoppage Time - 05/05/15 12:33 PM
I played an extra 5 minutes in the first half of a game and an extra 10 minutes in the 2nd half of a game because 1 ref did not have a watch and the other ref thought his partner without a watch was keeping time O.o
Posted By: Coach J Re: Stoppage Time - 05/05/15 01:33 PM
I use 2 man for JV and then have a 3rd come in for varsity games, saves me over 600-800 a year,(6-8 home games) for my JV tournament I only use 3 man in the 2 finals( I have 12 games total) and it saves me over 600, payment for mileage is an added cost for all refs, some ref travel a great distance to work your game. The minimum for mileage is 9.00 All this adds up and soccer doesnt get the cash flow like Football, add on paying for gate workers, ticket sales, etc cost a lot to host a home game. I have to pay and AVG of $300 per home game. That 3rd ref for JV adds up!
Posted By: MGoBlue100 Re: Stoppage Time - 05/06/15 02:39 AM
In the Wren at Chapin game tonight, Wren player injured in the defensive half. Referee finally blows the whistle after Chapin has moved the ball into their offensive zone. How does he put the ball back into play? Chapin free kick from about 22 yds, which of course they score on. Am I missing something? Has ANYONE ever seen this? It didn't cost Wren the game by any means, but it was a big momentum shift at the time.
Posted By: Warrior Re: Stoppage Time - 05/06/15 10:21 AM
I believe that is the rule this year. We've had several instances where we had a girl get injured and the other team in possession and had the whistle blow and upon resuming the opposing team (in possession) got the ball back. I guess it's to keep from having to use a drop ball?
Posted By: MGoBlue100 Re: Stoppage Time - 05/06/15 11:35 AM
I'm all on board with them getting the ball back, they in fact had possession. I was a little surprised at a free kick from 24 yards out. What ever happened to playing the ball back to the keeper and starting possession?
Posted By: eMnAvA Re: Stoppage Time - 05/06/15 11:38 AM
I feel like we could just attach this thread to last year's about Official Quality. We all have bad stories but sadly there aren't enough refs to push the bad ones out. I know of 4 that I never want to have but if I got rid of them I'd be paying near $275-$300 for 2 refs because of travel. You just hope their poor officiating doesn't hurt the game too much.

Also word of warning to everyone, if you say, "Can we please have some consistency?" to a Ref, You'll get a Yellow. Just fyi. smile
Posted By: Nuke 'em if you got 'em Re: Stoppage Time - 05/06/15 12:29 PM
There are a lot of if's here in this post.It started with stoppage time and is now into the restart of play for an injury. Maybe the referee did not see the injured player until Chapin moved the ball into its attacking third. The referees procedure was correct. Team in possession at stoppage, Indirect free kick. Or if the referee thought it was a head injury, maybe that is why he blew the whistle when he did. I was not there. Referees are to side on caution when it comes to player safety. IT IS A MUST. And talking about sportsman ship about playing the ball back.....well Chapin had the ball and referees, in HS, at a free kick, can not tell them to play the ball back. Maybe the referee blew the whistle too early. Think about it. Chapin had the ball attacking, and a chapin player was down. As a referee i would let play continue until 1 of 2 things happen. Player down becomes involved in play or the ball leaves the field over the goal line or the touchline. My 2 cents.
Posted By: MGoBlue100 Re: Stoppage Time - 05/06/15 02:42 PM
Well, if that's the rule, then that's the rule. In hindsight, would have preferred he let play continue to a "normal" stoppage. He created a scoring chance when there really wasn't one when he blew the whistle. It is what it is...
Posted By: boyerphil Re: Stoppage Time - 05/06/15 03:48 PM
I had the same happen last night. Ref stopped play for an injured player while Camden was in possession (but the player had his back to our goal at about half field). They took care of the guy then Camden got a FK a bit in front of half. I figured the ref would have just had my player play the ball back to GK and restart that way. So it does seem that is a new rule.

I will say that at least for us, overall quality of reffing has been good this year. There have been 2 games all season where I thought poor reffing really affected the game, and in a season of 18 games, I don't know if I can complain about that. Last night having 3 guys for playoffs was great, and the game was controlled well.
Posted By: MGoBlue100 Re: Stoppage Time - 05/06/15 06:04 PM
...and I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think the officiating has been the best I have seen in several years, a few incidents notwithstanding.
© SC Soccer