SC Soccer
Some of the best matches of the year happened tonight and I was wondering if anyone had recaps of some of them. I mean Benp hasn't posted anything. Surely he went to a game tonight.
Well, I unfortunately attended the Bishop England / Barnwell game tonight and it was one the worst displays of sportsmanship I have witnessed in youth sports.

The Bishops won the game 7-1.

The first half was relatively clean, with a few exceptions. Unfortunately, the starting Barnwell forward challenged the BE Keeper near the end of the half and suffered a broken ankle, I hope he recovers, By the way, it was a clean play. It was 1-0 at the half, BE winning.

In the second half, the game turned ugly. Many cautions were handed out and the BE Goalkeeper was ejected for punching a Barnwell player. Then, with approximately 15 minutes to go, a Barnwell player was fouled and retaliated, the BE player who fouled him took exception to the retaliation and began throwing punches and both teams cleared their respective benches. In the end, two more BE players were ejected and one Barnwell player. Each team should be considered lucky that more players were not ejected.

In the end, 3 BE players were ejected and 1 Barnwell player. The number of cautions handed out for cheap/rough play was to high to count.

This was not the most “Shinning Moment” for high school soccer in our state….
Could BE possibly be suspended by SCHSL for rest of season?
Which BE keeper was involved in the ejection ordeal?
Even though it's a mute point for Barnwell, both teams should be suspended for the rest of the season. I hope SCHSL does something about this. We have already had teams that couldn't play in the playoffs (W. Florence) for fighting and not being allowed to play in the playoffs. I know they were given a warning and then screwed that up but I believe there was no punch thrown in that game were there initial warning was given. I'm sorry if you fight and your team clears the bench for whatever reason, that means they stick together and in this case should end both their seasons together by being disqualified. Just my opinion, so I'm sure there's some haters out there. For those....wanna fight (see the irony).
Im callin Daniel over Riverside
and meeting Dreher in the 3A finals and Daniel winning it all...Upperstate all the way as usual
Emerald Versus Carolina Academy:

Carolina Academy is a very good team. They have alot of good, skillful players and they all work very hard. #17 created problems for many teams this year, and it was evident why tonight.

Emerald won 3-0. It was just a hard fought game. Emerald created chances and finished them. Carolina played with good sportsmanship.
Walhalla vs Batesburg-Leesville
Walhalla 3 B-L 0
Scoreless first half, then Walhalla simply shut them down, scoring 3 goals to win in regulation time.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Recaps of 5/6 games and next round predictions - 05/07/06 11:46 AM
Wando defeated Hilton Head 3-1.
Hilton Head scored first utilizing their speed down the right side and making a late cross that was easily put away. H.H. definitely had the advantage in 1st half with Wando not able to get comfortable. Wando did score off a long direct kick that got behind the goalie who had come out to try and punch it away. It was easily tapped into goal by Eppelsheimer.
2nd half was a controlled by Wando as their defense adjusted to HH speed. Wando was able to use their passing game to tire HH . Wando's 2nd goal came on a VERY long throw in from left side by Drew (?). It was headed in by Burkholder on the right post.
A little deja vu from the Irmo game was Wando's 3rd goal as Wando pressured the HH defense who couldn't clear it cleanly. Anderson got possession and passed forward to Dominick who beat goalie 1v1.
Good turnout by Wando fans. The home field advantage was neutralized.
A couple of yellows were given - mainly for late tackles. Nothing outrageous. HH did receive a red in last couple of minutes as HH player just got frustrated and after fouling a Wando player, must have said something because it was the asst ref on side who threw up his flag and called for the ejection.
quote:
Originally posted by Coastal Soccer Club:
Well, I unfortunately attended the Bishop England / Barnwell game tonight and it was one the worst displays of sportsmanship I have witnessed in youth sports.

The first half was relatively clean, with a few exceptions. Unfortunately, the starting Barnwell forward challenged the BE Keeper near the end of the half and suffered a broken ankle, I hope he recovers, By the way, it was a clean play. It was 1-0 at the half, BE winning.

In the second half, the game turned ugly. Many cautions were handed out and the BE Goalkeeper was ejected for punching a Barnwell player. Then, with approximately 15 minutes to go, a Barnwell player was fouled and retaliated, the BE player who fouled him took exception to the retaliation and began throwing punches and both teams cleared their respective benches. In the end, two more BE players were ejected and one Barnwell player. Each team should be considered lucky that more players were not ejected.

In the end, 3 BE players were ejected and 1 Barnwell player. The number of cautions handed out for cheap/rough play was to high to count.

Maybe the BE players were "HIGH" on life? Nothing? Really?

Ok then maybe they wanted to get ejected because they had a case of the munchies? Anything, anything at all?
I just finished reading the Post and Couriers article "BE soccer blowout marred by ejections". What bothered me the most was the quote attributed to the BE Coach"(Barnwell) was frustrated and their reaction was to verbally and physically assault us"- I am certainly hoping that there was more to this quote and that the P & C left out the part where the coach talked about how these boys will have to accept responsiblity for their actions. I would hate to think that the Coach is trying to decrease the role the players had in this brawl and putting the blame on "someone else"--- These boys have been playing soccer for years and know what they can do and can not do. The only persons to be blamed here are the players themselves. I am sure that the game was physical and intense but that is no excuse for the behavior exhibited by the players on both sides.
I'm taking Riverside over Daniel to play Dreher in the finals. And of course upperstate will win again.
I'm pretty sure the HSL says that if you have 3 straight reds you can't be in the playoffs. This has happened before. (I think it was hilcrest)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Recaps of 5/6 games and next round predictions - 05/07/06 06:18 PM
yea, definately taking riverside over daniel!!! i am saying 2-1!!!
4A:

Upperstate
NW over Mauldin - I really don't think NW will slip up..and Mauldin has had a great run..but NW is a different animal.

Lowerstate
Wando over Spring Valley - I really like SV to win..but traveling to IOP is quite the advantage. Wando has had the harder road also..if they keep their focus..they advance.

3A:

Upperstate
Man.. I mean really.. One team beats Eastside..the other beats Greenville.. how do you choose? Either you flip a coin.. or you go with your favorite..and mine is Daniel. Riverside goes from nearly losing in the first round to TR..to knocking off nationally ranked G-ville. I like Daniel's consistency. GO LIONS!

Lowerstate
Seems like the odds are stacked against BC here. I only see BC advancing if Dreher decides not to show up. And to be honest.. between the two.. I think Dreher has the best shot at beating the upstate rep. So..I'm going with Dreher.
Riverside should be favored on their small field.
I don't think their field is any smaller than Daniel's or even if it is the size won't be much of a difference maker. But Riverside should be favored having homefield advantage.
Whichever team is more in shape will win the match...I ve seen Daniel pull two straight OT games and I know they are conditioned.

Daniel 3-2 over Riverside in my books
That won't matter. Both teams will be able to go 80 minutes. They won't out-condition each other. And Riverside also has won two OT games during the playoffs.
just an interesting fact, there are only 3 teams in the state left in the playoffs that are undefeated at home in the regular season: Spring Valley, Academic Magnet, and Riverside(they lost one game at home in preseason to who)...Daniel ....should be a good one
dreher over bc
daniel over riverside

then dreher wins it all and defeats upstate
dreher all the way its that simple
quote:
Originally posted by Coastal Soccer Club:

MY God. Were you at the game?? Really? You couldn't have been watching, because no way could you really think you saw the keeper (Ricciardone) throw a punch. He was ran into way late, and responded by bumping the kid with his chest. While it was a stupid play, it definitely didn't warrant a red card. I understand that you probably don't like BE, but lets not post a bunch of garbage on a game you clearly weren't watching.

As for the game itself...the turning point where the game went sour was after the Barnwell forward broke his ankle. Again, as it says everywhere else, it was a great, CLEAN, play by Callandra and unfortunate that the kid was hurt. He was their best player and the only one pressuring up top, and some of the kids on Barnwell took exception and kids on both teams started talking trash to eachother.

Now for the fight:
A Barnwell player was tackled cleanly at midfield by a small freshman from BE. He then grabbed the kid and dragged him to the ground. Anyone reading this who says they wouldn't defend himself is a liar. I should add that the kid from Barnwell was atleast 80 pounds bigger and probably 3 or 4 years older, and really had no right to be anywhere near a soccer field to begin with. Just because there was a rush of players to center field does not make it a brawl. There were no other punches thrown, no wrestling, no more than some pushing and shoving in the midst of a fight. IT WAS NOT A BRAWL.
The other BE red card was in the aftermath of a fight for use of profanity...pretty stupid, I know.

As for Coach Khouri's quote, as much as it may bother you, it is completely accurate. I was next to the field most of the game and all you had to do was watch and listen. Sure it wasn't all of Barnwell, but I'd say the majority of the team completely gave up on winning and resorted to getting in as many shots as they could.
If you think it was BE who incited the whole ordeal, think about this:
How many red cards has BE had all season? None? OK.
The referee for the game was hands down the worst I've ever seen. After the game is reviewed, I think there's a good chance Ricciardone's red card can be appealed, and expect to see the same BE team in Lower State (Wednesday night, AT BISHOP ENGLAND). That's about it.
It wouldn't be overturned if it is as you say because taunting is a straight red this year. I would imagine that anyone around would consider bumping another player with your chest would probably be taunting.
ok, I didn't know the rule changed. no red cards overturned, the rest of the statement i stand by.
http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=86048§ion=hisports

This is the link to the article about the BE/Barnwell game.
So, is BE under SCHSL consideration for suspension for rest of season?
Predictions -
4A
Upperstate - NW over Mauldin
Lowerstate - SV over Wando (I thought long and hard on this one and could probably go the other way)
3A
Upperstate - Daniel over Riverside
Lowerstate - Dreher over BC
2A
Upperstate - Emerald over Wallhalla
Lowesrtate - depends on outcome of red card fiasco.
1A
Upperstate - CC over Dixie
Lowerstate - Lincoln over AM
Mk#11,

I was watching the game, and what I saw was unconscionable.

I am not a Bishop England hater, as you have inferred. Both of my boys attended Catholic school and almost went to Bishop England, but the drive was too far.

With respect to the first altercation, the play was most definitely clean, as I stated. It was unfortunate that the Barnwell player broke his foot in the play and I sincerely hope the injury is not career ending and he recovers well.

With regard to the second altercation, the BE keeper took exception to the rough play on behalf of the Barnwell player. As a result, he made the “Wrong Decision” and while holding the ball, extended both arms into the body of the Barnwell player. Albeit the foul can be interpreted differently, the referee made the correct call, 1 Red / 1 Yellow.

As for the melee that ultimately tarnished the game of soccer. Let me say, that I have witnessed this in football, baseball, and hockey. But, I have never witnessed poor sportsmanship to this degree in soccer. Anyone who attempts to belittle the event should reevaluate their interpretation of the “Gentleman’s Game” of soccer. By the way, the foul to which I was referring to occurred minutes prior to the fight. I forget sometimes that some people cannot see beyond a single event and as such, I will try to explain it. The Barnwell player was taking the space and the BE midfielder fouled him to stop his advance. The mannerisms of the Barnwell player after that foul indicated to me that he would retaliate, “Wrong Decision”. In less than a minute, he got his chance and fouled the BE midfielder who was advancing and grabbed his shirt, pulled him down. This is when the BE player made the “Wrong Decision”. Instead of walking away, he decided that it would be better to kick and punch the other player. During the fight, the referees and coaches were so busy trying to break up both teams that many other incidents were missed.

In the end, it was a horrible event for both teams, both schools, and for South Carolina soccer. More importantly, I sincerely hope that the young people in attendance do not believe that this type of behavior is acceptable and I pray that their parents explain this to them and attempt to preserve the game.

Finally, the defining statement behind the South Carolina High School League is;

"An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules..."

If you are attending or have attended Bishop England, then you have the intelligence to realize how far-reaching this statement can be.

Good Luck to both Waccamaw and Bishop England in the Lower State Championship and let's get back to the game....
From the above post >
<Finally, the defining statement behind the South Carolina High School League is;
"An athlete is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules...">
So, therefore, BE should not be eligible to advance the the Lower State Championship, or be crowned?
They can be eligible, if they serve their suspension against Waccamaw or bring up JV players!
Of course they have to serve their suspensions, but should the team even be allowed to continue in the playoff ?
How is the BE case different from the West Florence situation? Number of players involved?Total reds?Prior reds?
State Final:

4A SV vs. NW
3A BC vs. Daniel
2A BE vs. Emerald
1A CC vs. Lincoln
Hasn't been too much posted here about Dreher's 3-0 win over NMB. It may have been Dreher's best all around game of the year. They jumped on NMB and never let up. McClam, Leatherman and Smith dominated the midfield and Thunell shut down NMB's all state forward. Since being 3-3-1 on March 8, Dreher has won 17 straight games.
NMB didn't have John Ross Cramer and their weak schedule that they played throughout the year showed strongly!!!
Oh yeah a sidenote: that Thunell kid is not mobile, techical skills are questionable, and has no speed thats why he's not All-State!!!
Sammy, don't you have another crappy movie to make? Or are you actually brother Shearer in disguise? You have not a clue about soccer.
Sucker you have no clue!!!
4A Semifinals Notes
Spring Valley-Wando Game Notes

Spring Valley (21-5-0)
Goals Scored: 108
Goals Allowed: 8
Strength of Schedule: 1
Offensive Power: 6
Defensive Power: 5

Wando (22-3-2)
Goals Scored: 108
Goals Allowed: 18
Strength of Schedule: 10
Offensive Power: 8
Defensive Power: 4

Series Notes
-This will be the second time these two teams have met this season with Spring Valley winning 3-2 in the Palmetto Cup. The two also played in the Carolina Soccer Classic in Mount Pleasant with Spring Valley finishing 3rd and Wando finishing 5th, but the teams did not play. There are 5 common opponents between the two teams: Summerville, James Island, Riverside, Irmo, and Hilton Head. Spring Valley has a 5-1 record with 10 goals for and 2 against, the only loss against Irmo (0-2). Wando has a 6-1 record against these teams with 18 goals for and 5 against, the only loss against Hilton Head (0-1).

Northwestern-Mauldin Game Notes

Northwestern (24-2-0)
Goals Scored: 177
Goals Allowed: 14
Strength of Schedule: 11
Offensive Power: 1
Defensive Power: 15

Mauldin (16-7-0)
Goals Scored: 60
Goals Allowed: 24
Strength of Schedule: 6
Offensive Power: 22
Defensive Power: 12

Series Notes
-This is the first time these two teams have met all year. It is the 8th ever meeting between these two teams, the first match in 1979. Mauldin won the first two meetings, but Northwestern has won the last six. This will be the third time these teams have met in the playoffs and the third time in three years. The last two years in the playoffs, Northwestern won 2-0 (2005) and 5-2 (2004). There are 4 common opponents between these two teams: Eastside, Dorman, Dreher, and Fort Mill. Northwestern is 3-2 against these opponents with 10 goals for and 6 against, the losses coming against Dreher (1-2) and Fort Mill (0-1). Mauldin is 1-4 against these opponents with 5 goals for and 8 against, the win coming against Fort Mill (3-2).
I'm not knocking Dreher as a team but Bruin should stop trying to bring attention to Dreher and let their actions on the field speak for themselves!!! Stop begging for attention!!!
It is sad, but true, that John Travolta is a better actor than Sammy Jackson.
Re: Dreher-
Their actions done spoke.
I'm surprised the BE administration hasn't pulled the team from the playoffs. This lovely bunch of sweethearts has already had their own internal conflict this season..now there is a public embarassment.

MMmm..yeah.
I doubt the administration will pull the team, but with the number of fights this year and sports violence being a critical issue, SCHSL should do the pulling.
I was being sarcastic.

They'll suspend players on hearsay..but after 3 reds with a match between them and another championship..they won't do a thing I'm sure.

s^&p- ..something like that.
© SC Soccer