SC Soccer
Posted By: Allstar16 best freshman 07 - 04/07/07 10:01 PM
Who are the top freshman players of 2007?
Posted By: alexander Re: best freshman 07 - 04/07/07 10:54 PM
Irmo has some freshman starting and contributing for them. Both Billy Padula (back) and Zach Acree (mid) have started the entire season with Zach scoring goals in big games such as DF and Chapin. Oliver Nobles also plays a good number of minutes for Irmo. Personally though I think Zach is the best of the group and would be my vote for one of the top freshman in the state.
Posted By: BL KEEPER Re: best freshman 07 - 04/07/07 11:05 PM
White Knoll has a freshman that I believe recently moved to S.C. from N.Y. His name is Jonathan Salinas(spelling?) and he plays in the midfield. He has great ball control and cuts the ball very well.
Posted By: Columbia21Champion Re: best freshman 07 - 04/07/07 11:57 PM
antoine parris from sv
Posted By: randomguycoach Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 12:59 AM
Maybe cuz drogbablues21 is antoine Parris from Sv
Posted By: Platini 10 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 01:58 AM
Alex Martinez (Northwestern), Joey Demare (Chapin), and Antiono Paris (S.V.)

All great players with great future ahead of them.
Posted By: FormerBCSoccerDad Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 02:02 AM
coladad9, you sure write alot about Joey DeMare. Are you his dad?
Posted By: Platini 10 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 02:06 AM
Nope, he's just one of many players I think are talented. And after all these times I still have yet to figure out how the last name is spelt?

I am an old fan of Airport if you want to know.
Posted By: Columbia21Champion Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 02:11 AM
actually im not antoine i played with him on club for numerous years at necsa and thats how you spell joey's name and zach akery? (sp) is pretty good
Posted By: Allstar16 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 02:12 AM
i played against joey. hes a good player. but not the best. alex martinez is far better than him.
Posted By: Columbia21Champion Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 02:15 AM
ive never seen alex play but what ive seen from his bro and all the hype on him im sure hes better

are there any good scisa freshman? or freshman goalkeepers?
Posted By: Allstar16 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 02:16 AM
i hear pinewood has good freshman players. umm. not sure about goalkeepers
Posted By: randomguycoach Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 03:01 AM
i would have to agree with Alex Martinez being the best freshman but definitely not Joey Demare.
Posted By: Bear Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 02:41 PM
There is quite a distinction between being "good" and being the best freshman in the state. Pinewood has some good freshman, but, I don't think they are in the same class as Alex Martinez, Jason Chapman (Dorman), or Joey DeMare. My opinion, right now, Antoine Harris isn't in that group either, but has the potential, and clear possibility, to grow into it.
Posted By: podolski20 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 03:01 PM
alex martinez is definitely the best freshman. At the palmetto cup he showed his skills and had some great assists. I really think that he is at least as good as enzo.
Posted By: Import Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 03:01 PM
Parris from SV is a pretty solid all-around player. Contributes in many ways.
Posted By: Allstar16 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 03:05 PM
yeah alex martinez is the best and joey demare and jason chapman are not on the same level as him but close. but antoine harris, the pinewood freshman i forgot their names, and zach akery are all good players and have potienal. all these players are pretty solid.
Posted By: Clark W. Griswold Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 05:40 PM
These are all good players...but to say Joey Demore is not in the same level as Alex Martinez is just ridiculous..Those 2 are by far the best players for freshmen. comparable to his If i would have to chose Alex or Joey to be on my team it would be Joey. But these 2 players are very exciting to watch and look forward to seeing where they can help take their teams in May. They are both also on the Regional pool.
Posted By: Allstar16 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 05:57 PM
ey chill out. haha. its just an opinon. i just think alex is a better than joey. not by much. but just all around better.
Posted By: randomguycoach Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 07:01 PM
i also agree with that....Alex Martinez is clearly better
Posted By: alexander Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 11:12 PM
I believe Alex Martinez has shown that right now he is the best freshman in the state but I think Zach Acree is better than Joey. Just last Thursday they played against each other in the Irmo vs Chapin game. Both scored but anyone watching would most likely tell you that Zach was the best player on the field regardless of team or age.
Posted By: Soccer16 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 11:46 PM
How has Joey done this year? I have not kept up with chapin.
Posted By: Clark W. Griswold Re: best freshman 07 - 04/08/07 11:59 PM
I didn't get to catch this match (Irmo v.s. Chapin) But i heard from some Coaches that Joey stood out and the game was very intense. I also heard that Joey and Zach did both score. But i have kept up with Chapin some what, and Joey has been doing very well for them. Chapin is not the most skilled team but he makes a huge difference help Chapin do so well this year and i think he has at least over 20 goals. I still feel as though Joey is an all around better player than Alex, don't know too much about Zach from what i hear Zach can't stand with Alex and Joey.
Posted By: welshwizard Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 12:27 AM
goldengrillz you cannot just go by heresay, you have to have some solid facts to prove your point, and anyways I would say both Zach and Joey are both on the same level and should grow into really good players if they can keep their heads straight. It will be interesting to see them develop over the next few years.
Posted By: Clark W. Griswold Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 12:42 AM
I used to be a coach and i watch the games and look at stats. Zach is not up to his level..Joey is a Region pool player and Zach is a Club level player. Don't get me wrong he is a solid player. I also like to see them develop over the next few years. I'm just putting my word out there, that Joey has alot for a Freshmen. Thats why i think he is the top player.
Posted By: alexander Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 01:37 AM
Well for anyone in attendence of the Irmo vs Chapin game, Joey was not on Zach's level, Zach carried Irmo and was by far the best player on the field. Not sure which coaches you talked to either because from where I was Joey was a non factor for most of the match, his goal was a gift in which Irmo did not step as a unit and he got a ball unmarked on the six. What good player isn't going to finish that? I will say though that Joey was really playing a lone forward and Irmo has a pretty experienced group of backs making it difficult for a single forward to be dominating in any game.
Posted By: Clark W. Griswold Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 01:46 AM
Sounds like it would be difficult for him...I did not say he dominated i said he stood out. You can't really dominate being a lone forward. But, Zach has alot of players on that team that make him look good. I wasnt at the game but i did not hear much about zach other than he had a scramble goal. Joey has over 20 goals...He's above alot of kids levels not just Freshman's. The only thing i would give Zach is he is a very hardworking player and he is decently fast, ive only seen him play 3 times.
Posted By: alexander Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 02:00 AM
The play he scored on was a ball played over the top to him after he made a run out of the middle of the field he then took a touch into the box and slid the ball past Haze, wasn't much of a scramble goal to me. Joey was the most dangerous player for Chapin though even though Chapin's attack was pretty limited.
Posted By: Clark W. Griswold Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 03:27 AM
Heres my top

1. Joey demore
2. Alex Martinez
3. antoine ???
4. Zach Akeree??

Joey and Alex have to be at the top...They both are on the regional pool.

Joey and Alex are alike in many ways i just feel as though when i used to coach and i were to pick between the 2 i would pick Joey, he's a more influential player.

End of discussion.
Posted By: Columbia21Champion Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 12:50 PM
1. alex
2. zach
3. antoine
4. joey
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 05:29 PM
1. Alex Martinez, quality person and player.
Posted By: bigfoot13 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/09/07 11:46 PM
Earl Miller Hilton Head HS. Put him anywhere and he will make a difference!!!
Posted By: bestofthebest Re: best freshman 07 - 04/10/07 12:09 AM
well i dont know who the kid from hilton head but from playing them this year no one on that team stood out. And about making a difference anywhere, we outscored them and they were unable to score when we only had 10 players for almost all the second half
Posted By: Julius Caesar II Re: best freshman 07 - 04/10/07 05:39 PM
1. Joey Demare- Chapin
2. Alex Martinez- NW
3. Antoine Parris- SV
4. Taylor Lewis- BC
5. Robbie Benson- NW
6. Greg Stone- BC
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/10/07 09:30 PM
Robbie Benson is not a freshman. He may be the best sophmore in the state.
Posted By: sideline24 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/10/07 10:28 PM
sebastian velasquez is the best sophmore(player) in the state
Posted By: Columbia21Champion Re: best freshman 07 - 04/10/07 10:32 PM
if those players from bc are brookland cayce players that is definately wrong
Posted By: Bear Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 03:09 AM
Mike,

As hard a time as these people are having with the freshmen, you now move into the sophomores? Robbie is probably in the top 10, but definitely not the top sophomore. Enzo is a sophomore, right? The sophomore class in general is loaded.
Posted By: Julius Caesar II Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 12:47 PM
Best Players by Class:

Freshman: Alex Martinez, NW
Sophomore: Preston Myers, Lincoln
Junior: Danny Cates, DF
Senior: Seth Kulasekera, Daniel
Posted By: alexander Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 03:25 PM
My Best Players by Class:

Freshman: Zach Acree, Irmo
Sophmore: Enzo Martinez, NW
Senior: Seth Kulasekera
Posted By: Clark W. Griswold Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 03:48 PM
Freshman: Joey Demore, Chapin
Sophmore: Enzo Martinez, NW
Senior: Vance Benson, NW
Posted By: shut^&play Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 05:12 PM
Quote:

Best Players by Class:

Sophomore: Preston Myers, Lincoln

You are out of your mind!
Posted By: Columbia21Champion Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 06:05 PM
definately hes out of his mind

lincoln is definately not a great team plus the best sophmore is on the best 4a team

enzo
Posted By: Tek1ab Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 06:48 PM
Golden could you please support your choice between Demare and Acree....?? After last week's game I am going with Acree.
Posted By: Julius Caesar II Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 07:20 PM
Trust me, everyone is already all over Enzo. I'm thinkin outside the box. Of course he is the best Freakin Sophomore because he is the Best Freakin player in the State.
Posted By: Lincoln Coach Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 08:26 PM
Sorry to toot my own horn, but I would like to give some input. Concerning Lincoln's players please refer to post here . As for seniors, Terrence Deas a senior for Lincoln scored 5 on Pinewood and scored 2 against Myrtle Beach with an assist on the game winner (by Myers) in the last 40 seconds. I have not seen as much soccer as some of the veterans here, but these two are by far the best forwards I have seen (this is Terrence's first year playing with a high school team). As for defenders, senior Darwin Deas is the best defender I have seen and has kept Lincoln in games despite being surrounded by players who have never played before.
Posted By: Tek1ab Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 09:43 PM
I thought this was a best freshman thread?
Posted By: BubbleWubble Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 09:57 PM
if were talkin about freshmen/ sophomores, lets not forget justin watson from socastee. that kids got a foot, good field awareness, and lets not forget hes possible the fastest kid ive seen play in a LONG time
Posted By: Platini 10 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 09:57 PM
Oh I might as well give my two sense on this...

Freshman: Joey Demare or Alex Martinez
Soph: Enzo, shouldn't be much of a debate about that one.
Junior: Danny Cates
Senior: Vance Benson
Posted By: Clark W. Griswold Re: best freshman 07 - 04/11/07 11:25 PM
There was not a choice between Demore and Acree.. Acree was not even in the choices.. I chose between Joey, Alex, and Antoine Harris. Joey and Alex are pretty even. But i put Joey as best Freshman. There was no debate over Joey and Zach. Joey is at a much higher level and has much higher qualities as a player and person than Acree. No need to debate over the two. I say once again that Alex and Demore are they best Freshman and they have played at higher levels than Zach and the rest of the other Freshman that are up for debate.

1. Joey - Freshman Chapin
2. Enzo - Sophmore NW
3. Cates - Junior DF
4. Vance - Senior NW
Posted By: sidenet Re: best freshman 07 - 04/12/07 03:29 AM
coladad9, I must agree with your selection! I do have one question that maybe someone could bring to light . Doesn't Cates play foward on his club team and defender on his HS team,ODP team, etc? What is the deal here,wonder why his club coach plays him at foward since I think he has played defense(top level I may add)for so many years. This kid is a natural defender, surely his club coach knows this. What position will he play in college?
Posted By: SC SOCCER10 Re: best freshman 07 - 04/12/07 02:35 PM
Bear, youre correct but I thought Enzo was a given. I would have to say Enzo, Cates, Valasquez, Myers, and Benson may be the best Sophs in the state.
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: best freshman 07 - 04/12/07 02:42 PM
Mike,

Cates is a Junior.
Posted By: Bear Re: best freshman 07 - 04/12/07 03:19 PM
Mike,

Just a difference of opinion, and don't necessarily disagree with your thinking. In addition to the difference of opinion, there is the difference of formations and tactics that the group is developing and playing in. I just can't in my mind boil it down to 5, and need about 10 or so. Kind of why I put the sophomore list out there. Lots of very good players in that class.

Enzo, Valasquez, and Meyers, all forwards. Kind of hard to leave Savage out of that group. Each of them have their strengths in comparison to each other. The 4 of them on the same team would make it both very dynamic and challenging for the coach.

Benson is your only pick of non forwards, and is a mid fielder for club, playing defense in HS. In my opinion, by positioning in the Palmetto Cup, he wasn't shown in his best light, and wasn't necessarily alone in that regard. Moving into the mid field, Lundy and Sweet deserve mention in the group, with Lundy being the only one playing in the same position in HS as club. Like the forwards, each has their relative strengths when compared to each other.

I just think that class is too deep and strong to boil it down to a point that total consensus could be reached.
Posted By: Charles Re: best freshman 07 - 04/14/07 03:54 AM
the best freshman is zach acree or alex martinez, i have played against zach and joey demare i would much rather mark joey than zach, joey does a lot of unnessary play with the ball and does NOT work on defence at all
Posted By: Clark W. Griswold Re: best freshman 07 - 04/14/07 06:23 PM
I've watched Zach. And I've watched Joey. I feel as though that Joey would Definitely be more of a target to mark in a game. He has all the attributes that a forward needs to have. The only thing I've seen from Zach is speed and good work rate. I think Joey can also play as a Winger so the "unnecessary stuff" with the ball that you speak of will work with the space out-wide. I've talked to so many people after watching games that Joey would be marked in and excel in and i ask the player that marked him if it was a tough task to handle and the usual reply would be of course, he's a top notch player. Joey and Alex are the top two players.
© SC Soccer