SC Soccer
http://216.27.84.134/findhighschoolsc09/
Porter Gaud 1 Beaufort Acadamy 2
We could not get going coming off of spring break well done to BA and good luck the rest of the season.
at Westside

Westside 2
Easley 0
Barnwell 7
Edisto 0
Daniel 6
BHP 2

BHP is much improved over previous seasons.

On behalf of the entire Daniel soccer community, our thoughts and prayers are with BHP player Krystle Pravia and her family and we hope for a speedy recovery from her injury.
At West Ashley:

WA 5-0 Berkeley

(4 from the field, 1 PK)

Fixed the back post problem, now just gotta work on those breakaways.
Greenville 8
Pendleton 0

Goals: Ali Lewis (4), Katherine Whisenhunt, Heather Brown, Allie Waters, Marlee Hunt
Assists: Jacqueline Muse (2), Amanda Barlow, Lewis, Whisenhunt

GK Mallary Taylor earned her shutout by saving two PK's.
Christ Church 2
Blue Ridge 1

Great goalkeeping from Blue Ridge's keeper. Must have made close to 40 saves. Excellent job!
Shannon Forest 1
Spartanburg Day 0
3/24 @ Ben Lippen
Ben Lippen-0
Cardinal Neman-2

This was the score at the half and it held true. Excellently played game across the board and two evenly matched teams. Probably the best officiating I've seen all year, too. Seriously. They did an excellent job of letting the girls play while maintaining control of the game. CN has a great team this year. They hustled to the ball and played as a team. Our girls fought hard but just couldn't get the ball in the right place at the right time. Second goal by CN came on what appeared to be a penalty...the BLS keeper seemed to have possession and had it knocked out of her hands. Could have gone either way there. Regardless, CN earned the victory tonight.
DF 1 White Knoll 0
Airport - 0
S. Aiken - 2

0-0 @ halftime
Clover 2
Nation Ford 0
Quote:

DF 1 White Knoll 0

DF lost their keeper early in the 2nd half. Early diagnosis is a torn ACL in her right knee. This comes after rehabbing a torn ACL in her left knee that occurred last HS season.
Barnwell 3
Swansea 1

3-0 at half

Great game played on both sides. Two good teams that left nothing on the field. Hats off to Swansea for a great hard fought contest.
Daniel 1
Walhalla 1

Walhalla wins in sudden death PKs.
Blythewood-2
Rock Hill- 1
Hard Headed, much closer game than expected?
The news on Krystle Pravia is that she's home and recovering, though she has a concussion. Hope that it's not too severe; we'll keep Krystle in our prayers.
And we understand that someone is ordering her some headgear--which ought to be required for 6 months for players who have suffered concussions.
Riverside 2 Eastside 1 (winning goal scored in 2nd OT)

not posted from last week 3/18 ... Woodruff 2 Eastside 4
@ Berkeley:

Summerville 3-0 Berkeley

2-0 at half.
any one know the Dreher / BC score?
Quote:

Hard Headed, much closer game than expected?

Very good game. Blythewood scored on a corner with about 7 mins left in the first half. Rock Hill tied it up on a free kick in the second.Blythewood scored again after a ball that bounced around in front of the goal was put in. Wish i could tell you the time of the last two but the guy running the clock fell asleep with 33:30 to go and that is where the clock stayed until the ref blew the whistle.
Sounds like a well played game the Rock Hill ladies should have alot to build on for thier next region games.
Fort Mill 7
Gaffney 1

FM goals: Hayley Hatherly, Bailey Brafford, Becca Tooley, Jessie Tooley, Taylor Parker, Hali Singleton, Abbie McDonald.
FM assists: Sarah Bird, Whitney Becker, Sarah Wilson, Madison Paff.
Quote:

Quote:

DF 1 White Knoll 0

DF lost their keeper early in the 2nd half. Early diagnosis is a torn ACL in her right knee. This comes after rehabbing a torn ACL in her left knee that occurred last HS season.

Scott W--absolutely hate to hear that about Katie--tough luck does not even begin to describe this injury on top of her previous injury. Here's to hoping the "early diagnosis" is in error and she will be back in the net for the Foxes--terrible situation for her and DF if she is not able to go.

What a rash of knee injuries early in this season--I know it has been discussed on here before but the numbers this year are scary for those of us with young ladies playing this game.
Pinewood Prep - 5
Academic Magnet - 0

2-0 at half. Hard fought game in the mid-field. Both keepers played great games with big saves.
TL Hanna 5
Greenwood 0

Goal (assist)
Tucker (Bryan)
Wilson (Miller)
Wilson (Tucker)
Cutts (Craft)
Bowles (unassisted)
Ridge View - 8
Lancaster- 0

Scoring:
Ridge View
Devon Mellichamp
Caroline McCloskey (Kat McCloskey)
Caroline McCloskey (Devon Mellichamp)
Ashley Tanner
Kayla Paschal (Ashley Tanner)
Lacey Humphries (Ashley Tanner)
Caroline McCloskey
Kayla Paschal
according to the scoreboard:

N Augusta 2:1 Irmo

details, anyone?...Peabody?
Quote:

Airport - 0
S. Aiken - 2

0-0 @ halftime

First half was a pretty even game with both teams having some good opportunities. 2nd half was dominated by South Aiken. Congrats to Dale and South Aiken.
Quote:

according to the scoreboard:

N Augusta 2:1 Irmo

details, anyone?...Peabody?

Scoring:
27': NA - Morales (Gillespie)
58': I - Warder (Dherckers)
80': NA - Morales (Unassisted)

According to the referee keeping the time, there were 48 seconds left when NA scored the game winner. Irmo took 19 shots, 14 of them on frame. Just could not find the net except for the one goal.
Aiken 5
Richland Northeast 1
Byrnes vs Hillcrest? Anyone?

And congrats to coach Deer and North Augusta. Quality, hard fought win, when they KNEW they had to have one!
from the Greenville News

Byrnes 2
Hillcrest 1
Northwestern 0
York 1
BC 1-1 D end of regulation (Pk's 4-2)

BC scored in early first half (9th minute I think) when the keeper dropped the ball in keeper box, BC put it in the back of the net.

Dreher scored second half, nice shot by McKay Sharpe.

Big German player for BC got red-carded near end of 2nd OT; didn't seem to take it too well, laid on the ground for a few seconds pounding on the turf, little tantrum. Rumor has it she cursed the ref, in German...I don't know.
West Florence 3 Sumter 0
Was 0-0 at halftime, a goal by Jessica Lintz (sweeper)broke open the scoring. Alexandria Jackson followed with 2 goals.
Quote:

from the Greenville News

Byrnes 2
Hillcrest 1

Word has it that Hillcrest carried a lot of the play and have a new player (a freshman) that is VERY good. Would ramsdad care to elaborate?
Hillcrest 1
Byrnes 2

Good hard fought game. Hillcrest controlled the majority of the game but couldn't find the back of the net. Byrnes speed on two break aways proved to be the difference.
Cj
Hillcrest does have a excellent freshman, Stephanie Devita, her presents makes the team much much better than it has been the last few years. Stephanie is a very talented player.She has great speed, good ball skills and can finish. She understands the game and can control the middle of the field, Her play at midfield has allowed Hillcrest to move Savannah Younts from midfield to center back. This is Savannah's natural position so this helps make Hillcrest's defense much better this season. Our problem as always is a lack of depth, but we do have enough quality players this year to at least put a pretty good team on the field.
hey steve, whats up with the home field?
when will hillcrest get to play home again?
Quote:

BC 1-1 D end of regulation (Pk's 4-2)

BC scored in early first half (9th minute I think) when the keeper dropped the ball in keeper box, BC put it in the back of the net.

Dreher scored second half, nice shot by McKay Sharpe.

Big German player for BC got red-carded near end of 2nd OT; didn't seem to take it too well, laid on the ground for a few seconds pounding on the turf, little tantrum. Rumor has it she cursed the ref, in German...I don't know.

Not that I condone her action, but it was such a bad call it about got a "ScheXXe" out of me too!
Coaches please excuse this interruption but is there a way to teach a girl to overcome the fear of heading the ball? It may probably be just mine, but we may only head the ball 7-10 times a game...maybe! With 50 opportunities. We're playing ok right now but I think posession % would be a bit more if we could have all the girls overcome this fear. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. (I'm speaking of 7-9th graders). Thanks!
Personally, I have them stand with their arms by their sides and bounce a ball off their heads progressively harder until they realize it doesn't hurt and quit flinching away.
Head/Catch is always a fun game to play. I have no idea how well it would work for truly fixing the in-game problem, but it might get them used to heading in a fun sort of way. Maybe make it a pre or post practice game.

Mauldin vs Spartanburg game canceled for tonight.
Head-Catch is so much fun.....until somebody gets popped in the nose!
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye...
Porter Gaud 6 Charleston Christian 0

Pleasure to coach against Mr Tom Riley, he has a young team but never gave up. Coach Riley a class act, good luck to him and his squad as he builds that program.

Next Porter Gaud vs Northwoods
Charleston Christian @ Lowcountry Day School
3/25 @ Wando
Wando 5 - Waccamaw 0

Goals by Chloe Urig, Brook Lisson and Nora Bishop
Rock Hill- 6
Indian Land- 0
Wade Hampton (G) @ Greenville is cancelled for today. Will be rescheduled.
Quote:

Christ Church 2
Blue Ridge 1

Great goalkeeping from Blue Ridge's keeper. Must have made close to 40 saves. Excellent job!

She is a great goalkeeper. Heard that shots were 36 to 10 for Christ Church. Caitlin has 20 saves per our stats. Also heard that the last goal hit the crossbar and came out and was cleared and the ref called it a goal with 3 minutes left! Great game as I hear, and both of the young ladies for Christ Church were identified in practice as the kids who would score. They are good.

I apologize for missing the game but Marissa's surgery was the priority. Sounds like a great game, with good competition, and fun.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Actually Blue Ridge shot 2 times. Only once on goal.
Quote:

Actually Blue Ridge shot 2 times. Only once on goal.

Full stats?
There seem to be a couple strange calls in the Blue Ridge/CC Game. The Blue Ridge goal came from a bizarre series of play. It started with a pk. CC girls lined up maybe 7 yards from the kicker. They blocked the kick. The ref gives a yellow card to the CC girl saying she didn't give 10 yards, although the kicker never asked and the ref never said anything, no warning or instruction. The other ref across the field said it wasn't b/c of not giving 10 yards but she jumped up and forward when the ball was kicked, although he wasn't the one who gave the card. The CC coach then got a yellow card for challenging the call. Then I think instead of Blue ridge rekicking I think it was a throw in. Shouldn't it have been a rekick? The ball gets bobbled around and gets kicked in. One of the CC player says "thats incredible she (blue ridge player) was so offside". The ref then gives the CC player a yellow card. There was also a foul? or hindrance of play? or injury? called in the box against blue ridge in which the ref called it an indirect so the whole blue ridge team just lined up across their goal. What foul is indirect in the box? Wouldn't they have to take it outside the box? A blue ridge player was lying down stretched out hurt in front of the goal, although I don't remember if she went off the field after the play. There was no whistle that indicated that the girl was fouled so what is suppose to happen. She is blocking the goal and neither team seems to know what to do since they really couldn't kick the ball since it was right next to her body otherwise they would kick her. After about what seemed like a minute the ref blows his whistle to stop the play. Is that why it was an indirect inside the box?

There were strange/missed calls on both sides. Both teams seemed to do a lot of standing around - maybe they were confused about the calls. I can't say it was a very well played game by either side except Blue Ridge's keeper. She did make some good saves. Everybody else seemed a little tired, including the refs. I think having only two refs instead of three makes it very difficult. That with am over zealous fan base yelling about every call or missed call.
Quote:

There seem to be a couple strange calls in the Blue Ridge/CC Game. The Blue Ridge goal came from a bizarre series of play. It started with a pk. CC girls lined up maybe 7 yards from the kicker. They blocked the kick. The ref gives a yellow card to the CC girl saying she didn't give 10 yards, although the kicker never asked and the ref never said anything, no warning or instruction. The other ref across the field said it wasn't b/c of not giving 10 yards but she jumped up and forward when the ball was kicked, although he wasn't the one who gave the card. The CC coach then got a yellow card for challenging the call. Then I think instead of Blue ridge rekicking I think it was a throw in. Shouldn't it have been a rekick? The ball gets bobbled around and gets kicked in. One of the CC player says "thats incredible she (blue ridge player) was so offside". The ref then gives the CC player a yellow card. There was also a foul? or hindrance of play? or injury? called in the box against blue ridge in which the ref called it an indirect so the whole blue ridge team just lined up across their goal. What foul is indirect in the box? Wouldn't they have to take it outside the box? A blue ridge player was lying down stretched out hurt in front of the goal, although I don't remember if she went off the field after the play. There was no whistle that indicated that the girl was fouled so what is suppose to happen. She is blocking the goal and neither team seems to know what to do since they really couldn't kick the ball since it was right next to her body otherwise they would kick her. After about what seemed like a minute the ref blows his whistle to stop the play. Is that why it was an indirect inside the box?

There were strange/missed calls on both sides. Both teams seemed to do a lot of standing around - maybe they were confused about the calls. I can't say it was a very well played game by either side except Blue Ridge's keeper. She did make some good saves. Everybody else seemed a little tired, including the refs. I think having only two refs instead of three makes it very difficult. That with am over zealous fan base yelling about every call or missed call.

What you described as a PK with players lined up 7 yards away must have been a direct or indirect free kick since all players except the kicker and GK would have to be outside the penalty area on a PK.

Failing to allow 10 yards on a free kick is cautionable misconduct for which a yellow card may be issued. The kicker does not have to request the 10 yards. The defenders are required to give it. No warning is required of the referee. These are the rules, however in reality, a request by the kicker or warning by the referee usually happens. But it is not required.

A dangerous play foul should be called when a player has her body on the ground over or near the ball so that other players cannot play it without endangering her. Dangerous play is an indirect kick foul. An indirect kick is taken from the spot of the infraction unless it occurs inside the goal area (6 yd box). In that case the ball is spotted at the nearest point on the 6 yd line for the indirect kick. If the ball is spotted less than 10 yds from the goal line, the defenders must line up on the goal line or somewhere else that is 10 yds from the ball.
Coach P,
Thanks for the clarification, so why wouldn't Blue ridge get to rekick the "free kick".
Quote:

Coach P,
Thanks for the clarification, so why wouldn't Blue ridge get to rekick the "free kick".

Of course I wasn't there and do not know exactly what call the referee was making, but the kick should be retaken if the call was failure to allow 10 yards (encroachment).
West Oak at Daniel for tonight postponed until 4/28.
Westside at Greenwood postponed until 5/6.

Full stats?

I'm not sure what you're asking.
Quote:

Quote:

Christ Church 2
Blue Ridge 1

She is a great goalkeeper. Heard that shots were 36 to 10 for Christ Church. Caitlin has 20 saves per our stats. Also heard that the last goal hit the crossbar and came out and was cleared and the ref called it a goal with 3 minutes left! Great game as I hear, and both of the young ladies for Christ Church were identified in practice as the kids who would score. They are good.

I apologize for missing the game but Marissa's surgery was the priority. Sounds like a great game, with good competition, and fun.

Good luck the rest of the season.

I know the ref was in position to see the ball on the last goal, but I couldn't begin to tell you if it indeed crossed the entirety of the line.
I hope Marissa is doing well. Please send her my best wishes.
Pinewood Prep 3
Hilton Head Christian 2

Nail bitter! Hilton Head Christian lead through out much of the game with Pinewood getting their second equalizer with 10 mins left in the game. The final Pinewood goal came with about 2 mins left in the second overtime period. It was a great matchup of the two remaining unbeaten SCISA AAA teams (both were 7-0 going into tonights game)
TL Hanna vs Wren has been rescheduled for Monday 3-30-09
Friday, 3/27/09
Northwestern @ Fort Mill has been postponed.
New Date TDA
3/27/09
Lexington vs Irmo girls varsity game will be played tonight at 6:00 PM instead of the originally scheduled 7:00.

The JV match has been cancelled.
Irmo 2
Lexington 0
Quote:

Irmo 2
Lexington 0

At Lexington

Scoring:
39': I-Dherckers (Cox)
52': I-Warder (Werdunn)
How did Summerville/Parkview turn out?
Quote:

Anyone at that game? The game is not listed on the Scoreboard.
Quote:

Quote:

Anyone at that game? The game is not listed on the Scoreboard.

Let's just say Wando better have a solution to their weak defensive back. Parkview will capitalize on it.
I heard it was 6-0 Parkview..Was not at the game..Called around til I got a score. No details..Wando/Parkview should be a barn burner..
3/28 @ Wando
Wando 2, Parkview 0.

Parkview's record coming into today's game was 12-0. They are FAST and excellent ball handlers.

SOLID goals by Brook Lisson and Nora Bishop. The offense moved the ball well today.

Hard earned shut out by goalie, Amelia Henderson. Every close call came from that weak side and she paid for it with her body. Amelia is a sophomore that has definately stepped up.
Congrats go out to Wando. Anytime a SC team beats a Georgia team it's a good thing. Parkview was not only undefeated this season, but also went undefeated last year.
A blue ridge player was lying down stretched out hurt in front of the goal, although I don't remember if she went off the field after the play. There was no whistle that indicated that the girl was fouled so what is suppose to happen. She is blocking the goal and neither team seems to know what to do since they really couldn't kick the ball since it was right next to her body otherwise they would kick her. After about what seemed like a minute the ref blows his whistle to stop the play.

NOW, THE REST OF THE STORY: The girl who was lying on the ground with the ball at her head was kicked in the mouth by a CC player kicking at the ball, and THEN the girl on the ground was called for "playing the ball" and CC was given a direct kick from 7 yards away from the goal. GO FIGURE.

And for the player who was called on the direct kick, the CC kid was warned and told to back up and she didn't. After the ball was kicked, she was carded correctly.
I believe the call is "dangerous play" and it's an indirect kick. A direct kick foul inside the box would be a PK.
Quote:

I believe the call is "dangerous play" and it's an indirect kick. A direct kick foul inside the box would be a PK.

It was awarded as a direct kick regardless of the rules in the book. The BR kids were forced to stand on the goal line. Unbelievable call. The cleat marks are still on the young ladies cheek.

We have instructed our players to not play the ball with their teeth in the future while laying on the ground.
That makes no sense at all...any foul that would result in a direct kick inside the penalty box is a PK. Kicking from inside the penalty box as you described should only done on a foul resulting in an INdirect kick.
Quote:

Quote:

It was awarded as a direct kick regardless of the rules in the book. The BR kids were forced to stand on the goal line. Unbelievable call. The cleat marks are still on the young ladies cheek.

We have instructed our players to not play the ball with their teeth in the future while laying on the ground.

For a free kick spotted less than 10 yards from the goal line (always indirect) the defenders are allowed to stand on the goal line even though it is less than the required 10 yards.

Did the "direct kick" enter the goal without being touched a second time? What made you think a "direct kick" was awarded?

Just for clarification, a goal can be scored directly from a direct kick without anyone touching it after the initial kicker. An indirect kick must be touched a second time before it goes in the goal for the goal to count. If an indirect kick goes directly in the goal without being touched a second time, a goal kick is awarded to the defending team. If the ball deflects off of an attacker or defender, it has been touched a second time and, therefore, a goal would be awarded if it enteres the goal.

Also, for clarification, an indirect kick is signaled by the referee by raising her/his hand and arm straight up in a vertical manner, like a school child raising their hand to be recognized.
Since I was a referee before I coached, I have always trained my players to line up on the goal line as soon as possible if a free kick against us is spotted within the penalty area. They need to get there fast because there is no rule against an attacker taking a quick touch and her teammate shooting it in the goal. I also train them to rush the ball as soon as it is touched the first time.

On the other hand, I train my attackers to put the ball down quickly, one touch it and another shoot as quickly as possible if a free kick for us is spotted in the opposing team's penalty area. You do not have to wait for the defense to get set. If the referee wants you to wait, he will stop you.
Quote:

That makes no sense at all...any foul that would result in a direct kick inside the penalty box is a PK. Kicking from inside the penalty box as you described should only done on a foul resulting in an INdirect kick.

I know the rules and agree with you. The BR kids were in shock due to the "playing the ball with your face while on the ground." The CC "shooter" was told it was a direct kick and she could score. Then the BR team was allowed to quickly line up.

You surely aren't going to tell me, that even though the rules are in writing, and after 36 years of soccer, fairly understandable, that none of you have ever seen a strange, wierd, and even incorrect call or procedure after a card or ruling? Is it possible that a human in charge of things could just do something incorrect? If you are a coach, your answer is abviously that you have seen it a million times. If you are a ref, your answer is that this could never happen.

I had a simliar call made against my team years ago...I think it was at a Bamberg field. Before the kick was taken, while I was asking for clarification, my assistant brought out the rule book turned to the page of the rule. The referee put his hand up to us and said, "I don't care what the rule is in the book. This is my game and the penalty is what I say it is."

That's been about ten years ago and I haven't heard the like since...but there it was.
And by the way, I think that in any situation, regardless of rules and interpretations, the primary, immediate concern of any official should have been for the safety of the player on the ground.
Regarding Strange calls...

We once had a player completely wiped out by an opposing defender- no play on the ball, our girl made a move and went to get around her and she was just decked. This happened right in front of our bench and I was flabbergasted to say the least that nothing was called. When I appealed to the ref for an explanation he told me "I know the girl and she did not mean to do it!"

Later on an "inadvertent hand ball" when I uttered the same thing in response to the call on our girl all I got was a stern look and a reprimand to be quiet on the bench.

Oh well.....

tk
Funny moment from last season...

I'm not normally one to be vocal towards officials, whether I agree with a call or not, but I had called out once or twice during a game--one issue in particular that involved a girl on the ground similar to ROH's experience. Later in the game, he made a call against one of our players close to the bench. It was a righteous call, so I shushed the "awww"s from the bench and said, "Good call, Ref."

He turned and said, "Oh, so you decided to agree with me this time, huh?"

I said, "Well, you decided to get it right this time...thought it was only fair."

Believe it or not, we had a good laugh about it after the game and parted on good terms.
OK. I am quite tired of the "assumptions" being thrown around. I have video of the entire CC/BR game. Anyone that wants to see it and critique the refs can let me know. As for what actually happened, I will let the video speak for itself. The one thing I do agree with is that the refs blew quite a few calls. And since I was 10 feet away on the carded free kick offense I can assure you the CC kid was NOT warned and told to back up. In fact the ref told me that BR did not ask for 10 yards and did not have to, which is correct. Hence the reason I was carded. And the kick inside the box was given as an indirect kick, which is why the ref's hand was up prior to the kick.
youtube it
the entire game? wow, you must have a lot of free time.
Have you seen his post count? Of course he has a lot of free time.
Good point. Ok. After I get my 2 year old son ready for bed, read him a bed time story and make him dribble his mini ball 14 times around the coffee table, IF I'm not too tired, I'll see if I can figure out youtube. Oh wait, I forgot I am boycotting stuff like youtube, facebook and myspace. But I will sell copies of the game to anyone for $9.99 and I will even autograph them.
How much for the highlight reel with just the entertaining calls? I'll bet someone could do a great fundraiser selling a compilation of bloopers.
I prefer referee bloopers myself. I could let the highlight reel sell for hmmm...$100. Just kidding.
I watched it myself tonight...the entire game. Some of the things being said are ABSOLUTELY not true. And it's quite obvious when watching the tape.
I've just been skimming, but I haven't read anything here more than curiosity/venting/speculating/clarifying/back-seat officiating that's pretty common on the discussion boards...don't think I've noticed anyone under real personal attack...what happened, happened, everyone sees it through slightly different eyes, and people often voice their perceptions.

Me, I was on the other end of the state, so I can't confirm or deny anything except the fact that "all's I know is what I reads in the funny-papers."
All I can say is that the video tells the story.
Quote:

Good point. Ok. After I get my 2 year old son ready for bed, read him a bed time story and make him dribble his mini ball 14 times around the coffee table, IF I'm not too tired, I'll see if I can figure out youtube. Oh wait, I forgot I am boycotting stuff like youtube, facebook and myspace. But I will sell copies of the game to anyone for $9.99 and I will even autograph them.

Can I get one? Ha! Ha! I would like to watch the game. You are trustworthy, and I take you word for what you said. My kids said they heard the ref tell the kicker it was direct, but they are teenagers after all.

I trust you.
© SC Soccer