SC Soccer
Posted By: dcut5 Friday's Scores - 03/27/04 01:21 AM
West Ashley 3 Wando 1, any comments
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Friday's Scores - 03/27/04 02:25 AM
3-Peat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/27/04 02:50 AM
I predicted 3 peat early on.
I managed to see the game. Very even game. Bolt and Jordan are a very dangerous duo.
Future star is sophomore Wando goalie who had
several courageous stops on break aways.
Don't know that even if Wando had been healthy that it would have made a difference.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/27/04 05:37 AM
Beaufort 1

Colleton County 2

Great Job Cougars!

Next will be Summerville!
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday's Scores - 03/27/04 12:36 PM
I didn't realize Wando was less than 100% last night. Were they missing someone or did someone play injured?

If the scores posted are correct there were two upsets in 4A last night, Dorman over Spartanburg and Irmo over Dutch Fork. Both games decided by a one goal differential. Summaries of the games would be welcomed.

The West Ashley v Wando game was exciting to watch. Wando proved more aggressive in the first 20 minutes of the game, dominating in the midfield and playing much of this time in front of the WA goal. This was punctuated by 3 or 4 hard West Ashley break aways which were beautifully defended by the Wando goalie. Lexus Brothers scored the first WA goal from about 25yards out on a long rainbow off the goalie's upstretched hand. Wando answered with 4 minutes left in the half with a hard low shot from Naramore that was deflected sightly by the charging WA goalie (Alicia Brothers). 1 - 1 at the half. Two minutes into the second half WA forward Julie Bolt penetrated in close quarters past defenders deep into the right side of the Wando box and scored with a shot that struck the left post and deflected in. Danielle Jordan scored the final goal on a crossing shot from Bolt with about 15 minutes left. With a 3 - 1 lead, Jordan then moved back to sweeper.

Wando's passing and midfield control were very good. West Ashley's defense improved and became more dogged as the game progressed. WA's speed up top was a major factor in the game.

lpaf
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/27/04 01:38 PM
West ashley was able to answer a pressing question last night. Who is the best side in the state? The team stepped up and played together. The midfield was the only place on the field Wando had any time. Bolt and Jordan played amazingly as always. The back line also got the job done as expected. No other team in the state has the talent or the friendship of the field west ashley does. The fact that one the rare days there is no practice, the team goes to a movie because they just want to be together says something. What an experience for the players. Not only are they the best soccer team in the state, they get to play with their best friends.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/27/04 01:59 PM
West Ashley wasn't at 100% either. Jordan was feeling tight, Livingston's ankle was bothering her, Alecia's quad wasn't perfect. Bolt's ankle still isn't back to 100 percent. If Wando needs to make excuses, let them blame it on their health. Just know that both teams were pretty beaten up before the game. I can tell you now, when west ashley goes to Wando to play, and win, Wando will have no excuses.

ladiesyeahladies
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/27/04 04:17 PM
lpaf,

Yes, there was an upset in Region 5-4A yesterday, with the currently unranked (not for long?) Irmo Yellow Jackets defeating the previously 3rd ranked (not for long!) Dutch Fork Silver Foxes 3-2 (PK) at Dutch Fork. As a parent and fan of DF, I can say that it was one of the most disappointing losses I've seen. DF controlled the ball and the field for the first 25 minutes, culminating in a 1-0 lead off of a goal from the left side by Katie Bower, that just got passed the Irmo keeper into the left corner of the net. Something about that goal energized the Irmo team, because they began to play with an intensity that was lacking earlier in the game. They managed to tie the game just prior to the half on a loose ball in front of the goal. Once again, DF took the lead early in the 2nd half on a beautiful arching goal by Millie Green from about 25 yards. Not to be outdone, Irmo answered a short time later with their own long arching goal beyond the outstretched hands of the leaping DF keeper. The rest of the game was a series of blown opportunities by both squads. Neither team had any real momentum in the 2 5 minute OTs.

While I'm not one to blame the outcome of a game on officials, the 2 calling this game were terrible. There were injuries on both sides, with almost no foul calls. That led to more unneccessary pushing and shoving from both teams, with no whistles. Several blantant offsides calls were missed, not to mention half a dozen hand balls.

I don't really know what happened to the DF squad, or what energized the Irmo team, but the outcome speaks for itself. Hopefully, the Silver Foxes will learn from this loss and refocus for the remainder of the season. If not, its going to be another short lived appearance in the playoffs.

Anyway, congrats to the Irmo squad. They played a great game and didn't give up to a team that had beaten them twice last year and once already this year in the Viking Cup. The next game between these 2 will be for the Region Championship. No one else appears ready or able to contend at this time.
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday's Scores - 03/28/04 02:33 AM
Anybody see the Dorman - Spartanburg game? Comments?

lpaf
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/28/04 06:39 AM
Airport played Sumter Friday night. Airport won 6-0. It was great!
Posted By: run97 Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 01:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dcut5:
West Ashley 3 Wando 1, any comments

All i have to say is congratulations on the win to WA. They deserved it. I believed that WA had the advantage coming into that match because they had a more difficult schedule. I am very impressed by the way they continue to rise to the challenge just as they have always done.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 01:36 PM
Thank goodness it was a beautiful week end and I didn't spend my days or nights in front of the computer. Great day to be out on the boat.

I also am trying to live up to my pledge of not getting into excessive smack talk (isn't that what it called by the younger generation nowadays?)

Anyway, please refer to my 1st post. I stick by my year long prediction that West Ashley will win State title. I also said that I doubt if Wando had been 100% that it would have mattered.

While walking around Patriots Point Sunday afternoon I saw 3 Wando starters getting rehab at the Rehab Centers of Charleston RV. I asked if they had gotten hurt Friday night and they told me they hadn't practiced last week due to injuries and the PT didn't want them to play this coming week.
Again, one part of being a championship team is being able to play with all your components. Witness WA's loss to Spartenburg in Viking Cup.
Posted By: Flying Soccer Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 01:48 PM
To FoxFan: I heard that the Irmo Dutch Fork game was a really good game except for the Referees. While I was not there, just knowing who the referees were I can only imagine how bad it was!!!

The one area that you mentioned about the referees that really makes my skin crawl everytiime I hear it is about "hand balls". First there is no such foul as "hand ball" it is handeling. the second thing is that it must be intentional. Every time a ball hits an arm is not reason to blow the whistle, no matter where it takes place. If the ball hits the arm in a normal playing position or a protective posture it is not a foul. We have several parents on our HS team who count them for the referees.

Most parents do not know the laws of the game. They just yell at the referee because of what they think is a foul. Soccer is a contact combative sport. So I have a suggestion for them go to the USSF website and learn the rules or try asktheref.com and learn the laws of the game.
Posted By: deahler Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 03:57 PM
Hey, CSC Girls Rock, how did the girls do up in Richmond this past weekend?

By the way, count me in those who "just yell at the referee"! It's usually not really because I think there was a foul. I'm just a competitive person blowing off steam - and, embarassing my daughter. Oh well, part of growing up - maybe someday I'll get there...
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 04:07 PM
To paraphrase Heraclitus, you can never play the same team twice. A speedy recovery to all injured soccer players wherever and whomever they may be.

lpaf
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 04:25 PM
You defintely read a higher level of books than Grisham and Patterson. Who the heck is this Hercules guy?
Posted By: dhunter Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 04:26 PM
Very good account by Laplageauxfolles of WA v Wando game. Wando was nice to watch but WA front had instinct and reflex of a predator. Their breakaways were mostly successful because of their lightning response.

Also on the topic of referees and fans yelling at them. It was peculiar to me how both sides were yelling at them for any reason -- until both sides had scored a goal and they sat back and enjoyed the game, for the most part. I'm attributing this to nervous tension, once their teams scored they relaxed.

It was great to see how the girls teams from both schools have great support. The crowd thinned out considerably before the boys match.
Posted By: deahler Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 04:54 PM
..."nervous tension", I like that one. I'm going to use it next game ;-)
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 07:13 PM
S1 --

Heraclitus was a 6th - 5th century BC greek philosopher. The quote most associated with his name was (more or less) "you can never step in the same river twice" and refered to the concept that although thing appear the same, they are really in constant change at some level. Seemed like a pretty good analogy for the differences in soccer teams over time.

lpaf
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday's Scores - 03/29/04 10:39 PM
S1 --

Just out of curiosity, you did expect to get a little flack when you finished your first post in this thread: "Don't know that even if Wando had been healthy that it would have made a difference" didn't you? Who was playing injured?

lpaf
Posted By: Flying Soccer Re: Friday's Scores - 03/30/04 11:37 AM
deahler: thanks for the intrest in the CSC U15 Force Navy team. They had a very valuable learning experience in Richmond at the Jefferson Cup. The final results were not what we were wanting but the play by the girls was very good. They went 0-1-2 for the weekend. With some inspired play by the keeper in the first game they shut out the best team in their bracket then lost a hard fought contest with about an hour rest to the host Striker team on a wonderful goal late in the second half.

All in all it was a good weekend for them considering they all played 4 high level games and traveled several hundred miles on little sleep in less than 72 hours. Heather Frederick is doing a wonderful job getting them to this level and leading them to the next.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/30/04 01:44 PM
Lpaf,
I do not know how much more gracious I could have been in my congratulations to West Ashley who will defend their title as I have been saying for 10 months now. I did say that I didn't think it would make a difference didn't I?
Go Wildcats!!(Also Lady Trojans are sneaky good and might upset West Ashley for Lower State champions).

As tempting as it is to to validate my comments re injuries, I do not think Wando would appreciate me giving their opponents any scouting reports as to who is not at 100%. It might even be a HIPAA violation to discuss someone's medical status without their consent.

My old eyes could easily see the visible bandages (wraps and tapes) from the stands as well as some noticeable limitations in some players' movements.

I have also been enlightened by the Greeks and will try to live by their teachings! But something about that guy's name bothers me.
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday's Scores - 03/30/04 03:40 PM
S1 --

I never doubted your social graces, only wondered if you had anticipated engendering any smack talk with the aforementioned terminal phrase. You still didn't quite answer which may be an answer in itself. I don't think you can be found guilty of violating HIPPA regulations based on casual observation as a non treating observer. My eyes must be worse than yours (or maybe you sat closer to the field) as I didn't notice an inordinate number of bandages on the Wando girls. Are we talking slings and casts here? Anyway, injuries happen and the best teams work through them. This is a long season with plenty of time (and the games that count) still in the future. I agree wholeheartedly that JI is really good this year. And this is a tough week for them between Wando tonight and WA on Friday.

lpaf

ps: Anything in particular bother you about Heraclitus' name, or just a gestalt uneasiness? It was probably spelled in Greek letters originally, I'd bet. Maybe that looked better.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/30/04 04:10 PM
Al right, all right - I give up!!!
Yes, I presumed that the odds were in favor of someone would take umbrage at my comments (though I hoped they wouldn't). I was naive to hope that I could post an explanation .
I agree with everything else in your last post.
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday's Scores - 03/30/04 04:22 PM
I've always liked calculated comments, myself. Will you be at the game tonight? I've decided to give up the WA game (Goose Creek, I think) in favor of a trip to Mount Pleasant.

lpaf
Posted By: laplageauxfolles Re: Friday's Scores - 03/30/04 04:26 PM
ps: If Coach Buchman needs some help rolling the girls to the field in their wheel chairs I might be able to...

NO. TACKY. TACKY. TACKY...

Sorry.

lpaf
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Friday's Scores - 03/31/04 05:01 AM
Can't make it tonight. Testing out a new restaurant with some guests. Let me know how it goes.
© SC Soccer