SC Soccer
You can also e-mail them to kyle@scsoccer.com. Thanks!
Woodruff 7
Southside 1
Porter Gaud 1
Hilton Head Christian 3
TLH 2
Mauldin 3
Any word on the Spring Valley, Irmo game?
Alright just got word
Spring Valley 2
Irmo 1
5-4 in PK's
Daniel 7
BHP 0
Goals by Adair, Brown (3), Ra. Boyer (2), Ash. Robinson
Shutout by Robinson, Ellis
Posted By: CJ Re: Post scores for Week #1 (March 3-8) here ... - 03/04/08 10:15 AM
Reports of Mauldin's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Click the "Mark as edited button" and nobody knows you misspelled Mauldin and had to go back and change it.
at Westside

Boiling Springs 3
Westside 0

Westside found out what Northwestern and Easley already had this season, teams from Region II are tough even if they aren't Spart, Mauldin, Dorman or Byrnes. Boiling Springs has a region schedule no one could envy, but they should compete well against some higher ranked teams.

Westside scored two own goals (one in the 16th minute and one in 72nd) and Boiling Springs scored on an open net (32nd minute) in a back and forth game. Boiling Springs was aggressive and has some strong young Freshman from I want to say the USA 92 club team. Good luck to them this season!

Shots - BS 12, W 7
Corners - BS 4, W 2
Cards - BS - 1 Yellow
Blue Ridge 1
Travelers Rest (#13 ranked) 0
Varsity Girls
Swansea-6
Wade Hampton(Ham. Cty)-0
Can CJ and mavsupporter give us a little more detail on the Hanna-Mauldin match?

Jack, did you cover SV-Irmo?
Lexington 1
Ridge View 0
Quote:

Jack, did you cover SV-Irmo?

Nope. Had an evening class, but The State was there: http://www.midlandspreps.com/include/prepsSet.asp?r=news&page=4&articleid=1515

PS - Who said they were KEEN on the Mavs?!

Quote:

Can CJ and mavsupporter give us a little more detail on the Hanna-Mauldin match?

The girls game had a 5:30 start time so I missed the first goal by TLH. Mauldin had several opportunities to score in the first half. In the last minutes of the first half Mauldin scored off a header from a set piece just outside the 18. 1-1 at the half. In the second half Mauldin scored from the right wing on a shot over the keeper just below the bar. TLH came back and scored on a shot from the left side over the sliding Mauldin keeper. Mauldin scored again when the Mauldin's forward took the ball from the TLH defender and shot it over the keepers head from the left side. 3-2 at the end of the game. Mauldin had more opportunities to score but the TLH keeper saved most of them. Mauldin has a couple of players out sick and/or injured. Overall a good game to watch.
Shannon Forest- 0
St. Joseph's- 3
Mauldin-TLH sounds like it was a thriller. 5:30 start, I assume no JV game.

I saw Mauldin's second goal in their Friday night Viking cup game against James Island. It was a thing of beauty.

Good luck mavsupporter, you are in the most competitive region in the state.
Thanks Hurst,

We start region play on Friday as Byrnes comes to Mauldin. I noticed Byrnes beat Riverside 2-1 yesterday. This is the first test of region II AAAA.
They beat them last year, too! Geez, Kingsley has their number because Riverside is no joke and neither is their coach!
Nice win, Rollie. You have a good team. Well coached. That result does not surprise me. Good luck the rest of the way.
York 0
Fort Mill 9

Sloppy field after last night's rain; kinda sloppy play early in the season...

Goals by Becca Tooley (3), Sarah Bird, Megan Killmeyer, Kaitlyn Marr (Bird assist), Taylor Parker, Marley McDonough (Sarah Thomas assist), and Sara Borer. Shots were 24-1, corners 6-0.
DF v Chapin at DFHS

DF 3 Chapin 2
Nation Ford 7
South Pointe 0
Thanks, Hank. We learned a lot from our game. We played a team that beat us two years ago on Monday and they didn't get a shot. We looked like North Augusta.

You have a first class team and you are obviously a first class coach. Enjoyed the whole deal.

Rollie
Lexington 3
Summerville 0
Riverside 5 Greenville 1
Westside 1
BHP 2

South Aiken 1
Barnwell 0

Fun match tonight against the Warhouses. Got to meet Mike Allen (Former Summerville JV, Current BHS) and his girls. Great group.

The field seemed plenty wide tonight, but not as long as we're used to. BHS did a great job of compacting the goal, counter attacking in numbers, and keeping the Lady T-Breds on their toes. Nicole Neill took a pass from Anna Loudermilk from the left side just outside the 18. One touch and then a shot for the game's only goal right before halftime. I expect a much higher ranking then #10 after the season is over for teh Warhorses.
Not exactly how we wanted to start the regular season- this was my girls "Carolina/Clemson" game.

Ridge View 3 Blythewood 0.

Saw a lot of good things to build on. Kinda didn't capitalize on the scoring chances we had. Left a long range shooter uncovered a couple of times. Wish there was going to be a "next time" this year.

Good job to the Purple Ponies!
Posted By: CJ Re: Post scores for Week #1 (March 3-8) here ... - 03/06/08 11:47 AM
Sorry to be so late to respond, I was a little under the weather yesterday. Hurst we are playing four matches with our varsity boys and that was one of them..hence the early start.

Only two things I have to add to mav's report. The first is that the last goal was a freakish thing. Our player thought the ball was out of bounds near the midfield line and turned to look at the official and Gracie (sorry I forgot her last name) just swooped in and took the ball straight to the goal and scored beautifully. It happened so fast that we were just stunned.

The second thing is that so many of these girls on both squads play together in club that the effort and speed by both teams were a joy to watch. They went at it hard, yet afterwards there were hugs all around by the players. I enjoyed seeing the sportsmanship.
Spartanburg 0 Byrnes 0

Byrnes wins in PK's 6-5
Northwestern 4
Lancaster 0

Nice way to start off the season. It's a good thing to see a higher level of confidence and understanding from a very young team.
Any score for the Dorman vs Boiling Springs game?
Airport 5
White Knoll 0
Quote:

Any score for the Dorman vs Boiling Springs game?

I believe it was Dorman 4 - BS 0, but don't post that 'till we get other confirmation. I was not there & simply passing on what I have heard.

Can anybody confirm?
Nice job, Cantona. We'll see you in a couple of weeks.
Does anybody know if Clover has played any counting matches yet?
At West Ashley
WA 2
James Island 3
game went to ot and PK's JI wins in PK's 4-3
Mccoy...they have not played a counting match yet.
If the weather forecast holds true, they may not get one tomorrow, either.
From 3/3/08:

Greenville Tech Charter 5
Ware Shoals 3

From 3/5/08:

Greenville Tech Charter 4
Chapman 3

Anybody have any details on the Byrnes vs Spartanburg match?
Spartanburg was in possession the majority of the game. The SHS girls were also very physical to the point of several injuries to Byrnes players who were not able to return to the game. There were what seemed a large number of questionable calls. At one point the ref ejected a Byrnes player for having something around her wrist. He did not allow a substitution for some time and Byrnes was forced to play one man down. It seemed very unusual. One injury was from a high kick that was not called. I heard the Byrnes player was taken to the hospital for stitches etc. Overall the Byrnes offense is not that strong, but the defense can definitely get the job done.
Ben Lippen defeated Augusta Christian

By far the best part of this game came in the middle of the first half when two-year starter Rachel Ford stepped onto the field. Since September, this defender has been waging her campaign against Hodgkin's lymphoma that included chemo and radiation treatments. One of her goals was to play soccer this season. She made that goal tonight - much better than a hat trick . . .
South Aiken 1
#10 Barnwell 0

South Aiken 5
#7 Gilbert 0

I think the two of them will flip flop in rankings soon. Gilbert plays strong in the middle and athletic in the back, but the skill level of Barnwell from 1 to 11 is a good bit stronger. Both teams are quality, however. My heart goes out to Kel and I wish you the best.
3/6/08
The Cage @ Cayce, SC

Varsity
Brookland-Cayce 2-1 Dreher

JV
Brookland-Cayce 1-0 Dreher
Porter Gaud 3
Hanahan 1
Posted By: R Johnson Spring Valley 4 Aiken 0 - 03/07/08 02:47 AM
Spring Valley 4 Aiken 0

About 12 minutes in Jamie Shaw scored on a one on one with the goalkeeper to the near post. Then Spring Valley scored off Shaw cross that was headed home back post. Finally, another cross from the right corner went far post to another player that headed it home. 3-0 first half. 10 minutes into the 2nd half Hannah (maybe) head from about 10 yds out & near post from a corner kick. Spring Valley was physical, dominant, & unrelenting. I wish the best for Steve Lea & the lady vikings.
Posted By: JIMBO Re: Spring Valley 4 Aiken 0 - 03/07/08 02:54 AM
Emerald 5
Broome 0

Morgan Riddle scored 3 goals and Alex Bishop 2 goals.
Daniel 4
Pickens 0

Goals by Brown (Zielinski), Zielinski (Boyer), Bryan, Adair
Shutout by Robinson, Ellis

Special mention should go to the Pickens keeper, K. Murrell. She played a great game, in what I understand is her first year as a keeper.
Greenville 4 @ Travelers Rest 3
A very exciting game in beautiful weather to watch in TR tonight.
Ali Lewis (GHS) scored the first goal after just 23 seconds. Liz Godwin equalized in the 10th minute, but Emilie Tollison put the Red Raiders ahead just one minute later. Liz Godwin completed her hattrick with two more goals in the second half to give the Devildogs the lead until the 80th minute. Allie Waters scored in the last second with a surprising distance shot. Both teams remained scoreless in extra time.
Penalty kicks ended favoring GHS 4-2 after GK Carrie McClenaghan saved two shots and Allie Waters, Olivia Francis, Jacquelyn Muse and Emilie Tollison converted their kicks from the spot. A well deserved win by the Lady Raiders who dominated the second half with a 1-3-4-3 system but were too vulnerable in the back and still not dangerous enough in front of TR's goal. Although their current ranks (14 GHS and 15 TR) seem to be appropriate, both teams demonstrated some entertaining soccer keeping the good crowd on their toes. MVP of the evening: Liz Godwin Thank you for keeping the beautiful game beautiful, ladies, in spite of rather weak referee performances.
North Augusta - 4
Sumter - 0

Classy athletic program. Classy Coach and AD. Very nice.
How long was the drive, Hank?
Wren 3
JL Mann 2

Wren wins 4-3 on pks

Very entertaining game. Wren had 2 off the cross bar and Mann had one hit the upright. These two teams have a very interesting season ahead of them. Good luck to both teams!
Oh, and Wren tied the game on a 25 yard Gmerek shot with less than 2 minutes remaining in regulation.
Posted By: jburton Re: Post scores for Week #1 (March 3-8) here - 03/07/08 01:29 PM
BHP 6
Woodmont 0
Great job Coach Burriss and Lady Hurricanes!!!
Kudos to the Lady Hurricanes and coach Michael Burriss! JL Mann is a very solid squad, and someone, someone (no names will be mentioned) had Wren ranked as high as #8 in the AAAA polls. Time will tell, but this is definitely one of the most talented squads Wren has fielded! TL Hanna vs Wren could be sneaking onto the radar of MUST SEE games, with a possible clash of TOP 10 teams in the works...
Credit given!
Quote:

3/6/08
The Cage @ Cayce, SC

Varsity
Brookland-Cayce 2-1 Dreher

Congratulations to Brookland-Cayce on a nice win. It was a hard-fought, but clean, game. B-C is a solid, well-coached team that I anticipate getting even better as the season progresses. I was impressed with how much progress the B-C sophomores have made in the one year since they were freshmen. One could tell they were playing with more confidence than they were a year ago. Hopefully, Dreher, with lots of freshmen and first-year sophomores, will continue to improve as well.
The atmosphere at the Cage was what I think a competitive high school game atmosphere should be like - enthusiastic, but not hostile! The fans for both teams were great. Good Luck to B-C the rest of the way.
Flav, it took every bit of 2.5 hours. What a nice facility.Pretty good team, also.
Referring back to Rachel Ford's exceptional return to the field for Ben Lippen against Augusta Christian this week...this fine young lady who normally plays defense gave some great minutes in her first game back! She contributed 2 assists on the offensive side of the ball as well as playing stellar defense. The Lady Falcons are glad to have her back. What a testimony to us all! God is very good indeed.
Daniel 1
Hanna 4

Daniel goal by Brown.
Hanna goals by Robinson(3), Craft

Foggy, but field in relatively good condition. Well played game on both sides. Hanna up 2-1 at the half.
Congrats Rachel! Sickness, injury, and near death are things that really hit home when you lay in bed at night with no one to talk to but God. I'm glad she has beaten it and made it back in commanding form. Well done!
Posted By: CJ Re: Post scores for Week #1 (March 3-8) here - 03/08/08 12:28 PM
Good to have met you last night, NP. Three things made me happy last night:

1) Seeing Casey Craft use her speed and skill on the wing to get her first goal of the regular season.

2) Watching Sophomore Mariana Anderson push from the back to assist Caitlin on a goal.

3) The fact that we actually got the game in after all of the rain earlier in the day. The field was a little wet, but held beautifully.

Oh yeah, I guess Caitlin's hat trick didn't hurt
The pleasure was mine CJ. And I guess we should be happy that:
1. We scored the first goal and hung with you guys for most of the game
2. It stopped raining
3. Caitlin is a senior!

Hope Cutter's injury is not too serious.
Posted By: CJ Re: Post scores for Week #1 (March 3-8) here - 03/08/08 01:45 PM
I agree NP, your girls played very well last night. Thanks for asking about Cutter. It's a little early to tell, but it looks like she should be okay.
CJ
Have you ever though about letting Craft camp out up top like Caitlin and use her speed and playing Caitlin in the back. Also will you go to a 4-4-2 when Cutts gets well? That would be nice to see. Thanks and good luck the rest of the season, the girls look good.
Hehehe, CJ, will you change everything that has made Hanna successful and ranked in the top ten? Will you reveal all your tactical plans for the future for all other coaches to see??? Sorry foot, just is funny.

Caitlin is a true target player in a single forward formation. When you look at the fact that she's led the state the last two years in scoring, and second the year before...why would you put her in the back???? That's like putting Rooney or Michael Owen in the back. Craft is not a target player simply by the way she is built. The physical game in the middle doesn't suit her as she has had her share of injuries during the season. She's like a gazelle that roams wild on the flanks. Playing boot ball to Craft would not last long nor be effective against quality teams. With Cutts hurt again, who knows when that will become a factor, but she is a good addition that will help with the losses next year.
3/8/08

VARSITY
Brookland-Cayce 2-1 Aiken
The Cage @ BCHS
Cayce, SC

Halftime: BC 2-1 Aiken.
BC: Randall Dominguez, Kelsey Kaminer.
Weather: 46 Degrees, Cold, Winds 35-40 mph.
Records: BC 3-1-1; A 0-4-1.

North Augusta Varsity Girls - 5

Aquinas(Augusta,GA) - 2
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Post scores for Week #1 (March 3-8) here - 03/08/08 11:34 PM
Irmo 2
Dutch Fork 1

Sympathies to DF Coach Hayne Painter whose mother passed away earlier this morning.

Unfortunate that the Lady Silver Foxes had to play this derby without their leader.
Pictures from the BC - Aiken game
http://www.winkflash.com/photo/photozoom..._soccer&p=1

sweet feet, Robinson can not play any other postion like Craft or like Gmerek from Wren. Gmerek played 3 different postions against us Thu. She was all over the place. Craft is the same kind of player and this will help her @ the next level.
I agree. She's built to run the wing back or outside mid - on either side. A good talent when healthy and mentally on track.
mentally on track GUFFAW
Yesterday at Blythewood….. them 5 us 0. Spring Valley being the them, us, well us being the us of course.

What has me up late is that while Valley won and deserves the win hands down no doubt, 5-0 seems a bit misleading as to the play of the game in my opinion. SV was very professional in their finishing and pounced on every opportunity and I may get blasted for this by some other folks who would disagree, but I think we gifted them a couple of goals. The wind was obviously a factor with them having the advantage for the first half, but we failed to capitalize on a few chances of our own in the 1st after some really pretty ball work and then in the 2nd half we just did not exploit the advantage of the wind at all.

Between the pipes 5-0 them. On the field, still them but closer than the score would suggest. Hopefully this is the wakeup call that myself and the girls needed.

Ahhh…. Now I think I can go to sleep.

Great job to the Viking Girls.

tk
Nice job, G. Tech Charter!
Gmerek was awesome against Mann the other night. Wren was quite impressive as were the Patriots. Two great teams.
Thanks Hank. With Riverside, Eastside, J.L. Mann and Wade Hampton in the region, no one will look at us. Nice win for you over Sumter. Keep up the good play until everyone else realizes about NA what we realize - solid. You'll be top 10 in AAAA in three weeks.
Great game to watch. Both teams are solid.
Tony, save that wake up call for next week please
I tell you what "flavor and easy"? .... you promise to roll over and play dead and we'll try to wait until Friday to knock the sleep out of our eyes!!!!!

Apparently I personally have to be awake this entire weekend anyway so the extra sleep would do me good. We are taking the girls to the beach for a couple of games and I have been warned not to doze off......

tk
From the Rock Hill Girls' Varsity Soccer website:

March 3:
Rock Hill 5, Lewisville 0

March 6:
Rock Hill 4, Indian Land 2

March 7 vs. Nation Ford postponed

The Bearcats visit the Lady Jackets tonight in Fort Mill:)
I noticed on 3/6 Ben Lippen beat Augusta Christian
17-0.

Ouch. I feel a bit bad for those Augusta Christian girls.
Posted By: R Johnson Aiken 4 Evans 3 - 03/11/08 12:02 AM
Aiken went up 2-0 in the first half with little attack from Evans (both goals were off of rebounds). In the second half Aiken dominated the first 15 minutes & scored a long high shot from the left side of 18. Then Evans went to work to score on its first good attack with a high shot to the right corner from just inside 18 from the left. Then they scored a few minutes later on a one on one breakaway down the right side of the field. Aiken scored on a free kick that hit the inside of the crossbar& went straight down & in. From the kickoff Evans took the ball through Aiken's defense & the goalkeeper came out (& what appeared to this unbiased coach as a 50/50 ball) & slid & collided with the Evans attacker. PK awarded & converted with under 2 minutes remaining. Evans did not have any more chances in the final 2.
Posted By: Former Ram Re: Aiken 4 Evans 3 - 03/11/08 01:15 AM
Ron, was this tonight? And you won 4-3? It's posted in week 1 scores, better hurry and move it or Flava Flav will chastise your erroneous posting. Sounds like a nailbiter, though, congrats!
© SC Soccer