SC Soccer
Posted By: CJ Easley Tournament - 04/19/07 02:31 PM
This tournament is going to be a challenge for my young team! We get Daniel in the morning and undefeated Woodruff in the afternoon. We are really looking forward to playing Daniel again and hopefully resolving that tie back at the beginning of the season.

Does anyone know anything about Woodruff?
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Easley Tournament - 04/19/07 02:56 PM
My wife is the Woodruff coach. . .does that count as anything?

First year for the program. Undefeated. Solid group of players.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Easley Tournament - 04/19/07 03:42 PM
P&Y, more information would be appreciated. Would you please provide us with the necessary tactical details that will lead to her utter and complete demise on the soccer field? We will give you an autographed Radio hat.
Posted By: CJ Re: Easley Tournament - 04/19/07 03:53 PM
Can't pass that deal up!
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Easley Tournament - 04/19/07 04:34 PM
I fear I spilled too much already—:)

Great and caring coach—wonderful young ladies—beyond that—not much more I can offer—:)

[For tactical advice—just score more often than WHS—that should do it]
Posted By: CJ Re: Easley Tournament - 04/19/07 05:01 PM
Are you going to be at the game? Please come speak to us if you are. Oh, and I will try my best to implement your tactical advice.
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Easley Tournament - 04/19/07 05:08 PM
I'll be at the Friday night match for WHS (I think there is one. . .), but will be on the bicycle Saturday—Must train train train—But will be hoping your use of my tactics fails. . .
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: Easley Tournament - 04/21/07 01:26 AM
Daniel 1
Woodruff 2

Exciting, well played match. Goal for Daniel was a PK by A. Robinson. Both goals for Woodruff were from #3 (sorry I did not get her name... P&Y?)
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Easley Tournament - 04/21/07 02:05 AM
Woodruff is mostly 8th and 7th graders—this tournament seems to be packed with stronger and older players—so tonight was a good result—

Megan Moss, a skilled young finisher with speed, scored the two goals for WHS—
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Easley Tournament - 04/21/07 01:33 PM
Hanna fields two freshmen and a whoooooole lot of little runts from McCants Middle School.
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: Easley Tournament - 04/21/07 04:30 PM
And those "little runts" play some darn good soccer! You have a lot to look forward to W&E.

Daniel 1
Hanna 3

Daniel goal by M. Owen
Hanna goals go K. Hand, S. Miller, and "I will have to let OE fill in the name for the first goal 'cause I missed that one".
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Easley Tournament - 04/21/07 07:12 PM
Word is WHS girls JV went undefeated in the tournament!

Only goal allowed was a Friday night PK—Won this afternoon over TL Hanna JV 1-0

Congrats, WHS!!!
Posted By: CJ Re: Easley Tournament - 04/21/07 08:15 PM
"Word" is correct. Woodruff beat us 1-0. P&Y, Fran does a great job with those girls and they played great. I especially enjoyed watching that tiny #1 flying around the field. That whole team plays with a lot of heart and works for the full 60 minutes. I thought we played fair in the first half and picked it up a lot in the second half. I had to switch to a 4-4-2 to spread the field a bit and get another offensive player. We were able to put more pressure on, but we just couldn't get one past the goalie who had a wonderful game. Congrats to Woodruff on a great showing in the tournament.

I also want to thank Jonathan for running a great tournament and getting all games off on time. The fields were great and all the teams had plenty of support there. My only regret is the only thing I took back from it was a sunburn!
Posted By: CJ Re: Easley Tournament - 04/21/07 08:16 PM
Neverplayed-
The first goal in the Hanna/Daniel game was a PK scored by Katie Bryan.
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Easley Tournament - 04/21/07 08:44 PM
Thanks—They are a very passionate and dedicated bunch who work hard—Wonderful to be around them!

Some real talent for the future also. . .
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Easley Tournament - 04/22/07 02:17 AM
Got to meet the wife as well...briefly. I know there was controversy about the Daniel vs. Woodruff game as the winning goal was allegedly an offisides (when are they not?). Only one official was there for whatever reasons and was unable to see the defensive lines...reportedly.

Good stuff to Woodruff, as I witnessed a very physical and determined team. Didn't fuss or bite at eat other, but encouraged and cheered on no matter the circumstances.
Posted By: cat's cradle Re: Easley Tournament - 04/22/07 02:26 AM
No controversy—who said that?

The second Woodruff goal was scored when a ball was played over the top of the defense and the WHS forwards were all on the defensive side of mid-field—thus impossible to be off sides. Nothing was said at the time. . .
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Easley Tournament - 04/22/07 02:36 AM
I heard that the WHS forwards were actually at their own 18. By sheer will power they were able to overcome the unsuspecting Daniel defense. I repeat...sheer will power.
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: Easley Tournament - 04/22/07 03:20 AM
It was actually Woodruff's first goal last night. #3 was in an offside position by about a step when the ball was passed to her. With only one ref, who was standing at about midfield, it was impossible for him to call. No controversy, just the way it goes with only one ref.
Woodruff played great all weekend. Congratulations.
Posted By: Player-coach-ref. Re: Easley Tournament - 04/23/07 12:15 PM
Does anyone have the complete scores from the Easley JV Tournament? Thanks.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Easley Tournament - 04/23/07 04:18 PM
Hanna:
12-0 win vs Westside
3-1 win vs Daniel
0-1 loss vs Woodruff
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: Easley Tournament - 04/23/07 04:31 PM
Daniel:
1-2 loss v. Woodruff
1-3 loss v. Hanna
6-0 win v. Westside
Posted By: AgentOrange Re: Easley Tournament - 04/23/07 10:20 PM
Congrats to the JV Lady Wolverines on their Tourney title. You have worked hard this year and it is really starting to show.
Posted By: Player-coach-ref. Re: Easley Tournament - 04/23/07 10:49 PM
Thanks for the scores. But, I am confused..... Wasn't there two brackets? What type of format was used in the tournament?
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: Easley Tournament - 04/23/07 11:27 PM
There were two brackets, with Wren, Pendleton, Seneca, and Easley in the other. Wren won this bracket, but I don't know all the scores or how the overall winner was determined.
Posted By: Gamec Re: Easley Tournament - 04/25/07 02:54 PM
Wren:
4-0 vs Seneca
8-0 vs Pendleton
5-0 vs Easley
Wren undefeated
Posted By: CJ Re: Easley Tournament - 04/26/07 09:54 AM
I don't know how the brackets were filled, but wouldn't it have been fun to have had Wren in the bracket with us, Daniel, and Woodruff? That would have been very strong and a test for all.
Posted By: Gamec Re: Easley Tournament - 04/26/07 11:56 AM
A request was made to the Daniel coach about switching opponents before your game against them, brackets are set is what was stated by Daniel, however this is hearsay.
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Easley Tournament - 04/26/07 01:28 PM
Wren was approached about switching, but obviously it did not come to fruition.
Posted By: Coach Roseberry Re: Easley Tournament - 04/26/07 01:51 PM
I had also heard that Wren was approached about switching. I think Westside would have fared better against Pendleton, Easley, and Seneca. Wren, in its own right, would have enjoyed the rivalry of Hanna, Daniel, and chance to face a strong Woodruff squad.

This "misplacing" of teams will probably be noted and changed next year into more of an A Bracket (Stronger teams) and B Bracket (weaker). In the end, this was a great idea for the end of the season and could prove to be an even larger and more exciting event next year.

I have one question for NeverPlayed in regards to the Daniel-Westside JV score. I have heard 3-0, 4-0, 5-0, and now 6-0, four different scores from four different sources, ridiculous. Can anyone confirm the "actual" score? My jv coach's account differs from that on this message board and I wonder about being mislead...

Thanks!
Posted By: Player-coach-ref. Re: Easley Tournament - 04/26/07 02:16 PM
The Tournament in Easley was a great tournament. Thanks to those individuals who were involved in making it happen. Hopefully next year it will be bigger, etc.

This format is very confisuing. You have two brackets with undefeated team atop of each. One team came in with a record of (from what I gather) 10-0 and the other 9-1-1.
Both went through the tournament undefeated. Would it not make sense to have had a playoff for the Championship?

The way it stands there is no way for one team to claim the championship over the other. Rightfully, both teams are Champions. It would have been a great game to watch ... Woodruff/Wren.

Congrats to all the teams that participated. Work hard, learn and prepare for next year. Always enjoyable to watch them all play.
Posted By: NeverPlayed Re: Easley Tournament - 04/26/07 03:05 PM
Ryan, I was not able to attend the Daniel-Westside game, but the 6-0 score was given to me by the parent of two of the players, a usually reliable source. To make matters even more confusing, the Daniel JV website lists the final score as 5-1. At this point, I would trust your coach's version over all others since he was there. And congratulations to the girls on last night's win!
Posted By: Coach Roseberry Re: Easley Tournament - 04/26/07 03:53 PM
Thanks, I guess confusion reigns!
Posted By: Coach Young Re: Easley Tournament - 04/26/07 04:21 PM
I say compare strength of schedule...Woodruff wins!
© SC Soccer