SC Soccer
Posted By: SCKicker General observations - 03/24/09 09:28 PM
Coaches,players,soccer lovers and parents, what has been the biggest huddle to jump in your respective SC soccer settings?PS:This is in reference to your experience with the overall south carolina soccer scene. This might sound alittle far fetched but would be great and educative to share some thoughts and ideas.Feel free to share any mixed reactions.
Posted By: borninhockeytown Re: General observations - 03/26/09 01:51 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have one of the biggest huddles, I do not think anyone can actually jump it.
Posted By: Belligerent Re: General observations - 03/26/09 03:59 PM
why would you even want to jump the huddle? play doesn't usually start until players come out of the huddle - you'd just be showing off for the fans...
Posted By: shut^&play Re: General observations - 03/26/09 04:18 PM
Maybe he meant the Huddle House.

The stain of any good Interstate Rest Stop Palace.
Posted By: Coach P Re: General observations - 03/26/09 04:29 PM
I love this thread!
Posted By: KidsLoveSoccer Re: General observations - 03/26/09 09:40 PM
How many of you actually let your players eat at a Huddle House before a game?

And further, if you ate at the Huddle House, would you be able to jump the huddle?
Posted By: Jonathan Re: General observations - 03/27/09 12:42 AM
Waffle House only for my players...we don't settle!
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: General observations - 03/27/09 01:00 AM
IHOP here...soccer is an international sport, after all.
Posted By: Coach Tim Re: General observations - 03/27/09 01:23 AM
The Wando huddle has a large degree of difficulty due to the fact that is moves plus in prep you have to
survive the Mt P. gnat exsanguination.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: General observations - 03/27/09 01:55 AM
It is somewhat difficult to huddle together to minimize skin exposure to the sand gnats as well...
Posted By: adidaskitten86 Re: General observations - 03/27/09 02:08 AM
It's all a part of Wando's ingenious plot to take over the SC soccer world. The huddle mesmerizes you, the gnats weaken you, and then we steal your wallets when you're not looking =D.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: General observations - 03/27/09 02:36 AM
Ok, that's the best, most-needed laugh I've had all day.
Posted By: SCKicker Re: General observations - 03/27/09 03:35 AM
To all those that have contributed to this thread,thanks for your effort and time. As much as we all need to have a sense of humor every now and then, fortunately or unfortunately i was really hoping for us to share some constructive ideas and views about "issues" that have been hard to get over on the soccer scene. However,i do realize that i did mispell the word "hurdle" so will give the benefit of doubt for that. Sometimes the change we so much desire in soccer now actually starts within ourselves and maybe it is about time to channel our various mentalities towards a common goal.Thanks again for all your input.
Posted By: Jonathan Re: General observations - 03/27/09 05:15 AM
Touche...
Posted By: Coach Tim Re: General observations - 03/27/09 05:42 AM
Momentum and effort. There are a ton of things that have to get done and then maintained. Sometimes ya even gotta beg Al Green style.

Set and communicate your vision/goals. The big road block with starting a program is "they" want to see numbers (kids) first. I have always found that using an invitation approach gains many kids to show up.

I guess the big problem most programs face is dollars. To me money can only be gathered in "profit mode". It is a very private sector mentality that I believe gets lost or forgotten when encased in a (forgive the curse word) non profit endeavor.

On a personal level choosing where and when to get involved with your players. I have 8th graders that run warmups, pregame talk and halftime talks. Sure I would love to do the Knute Rockne, but they say exactly what I would say. I just choose to let them develop as leaders sometimes they slip up but so do I.
Posted By: Bear Re: General observations - 03/27/09 12:04 PM
Modified based on some additional information.

Hurdles take many forms and have different levels of difficulty. Some hurdles are individual and some are group related. The ability to get over the hurdles requires the ability to be able to determine the difference and keep that in perspective while trying to work through and over the hurdle. In each case there is normally a set of circumstances that produce the hurdle, and then a set of circumstances/decisions that either allow you to get over the hurdle, or realize that you cannot get over the hurdle.

However, choosing a different path that doesn't require you to go over the hurdle, is a way of reaching a point further down the lane, often times with significantly less effort and drain. This different path is often made easier by circumventing some of the organizational framework that all should either strive to operate in, or strive to change.

So before you can go over the hurdle, you need to be able to recognize the hurdle, analyze the options available for getting over the hurdle, then chart the course and strive to reach it.
Posted By: Bear Re: General observations - 03/27/09 12:19 PM
Quote:

To me money can only be gathered in "profit mode". It is a very private sector mentality that I believe gets lost or forgotten when encased in a (forgive the curse word) non profit endeavor.

Can you please expand on what you perceive to be the biggest difference between these two?

In very general terms a "not for profit" organization is required to have no net profit. Any profit at the end of the year needs to be turned back into the basic "business, or business sector" that generated it. You can get very sophisticated with this and have an annual operating reserve, and even a net operating reserve, (how do you think the SCYSA has a big bank account carried over year to year?) provided that's defined in the non profit status, however these reserves are not to be distributed as profits to members of the organization.

Nowhere in this mode and distinction is it implied or mandated that the organization does not follow standard business practices, including the generation of excess funds to return to the business, which most would call profit.

In general people hear the term non profit organization and somehow think it has to operate differently than other businesses. More importantly, I believe they feel that as a not for profit organization, they somehow have a different level of control of the business, or a different requirement for knowledge of how the business operates.
Posted By: thisissoccerlife Re: General observations - 03/27/09 02:54 PM
This thread is like the old fashion days when you got up on Sunday morning, got a cup coffee and sat down to read the Sunday comic's. Very entertaining!
Posted By: SCKicker Re: General observations - 03/27/09 05:22 PM
Bear and coach Tim,thank you for your intriguing views. Hopefully we can get more insightful contributions like yours.
Posted By: scsoccer Re: General observations - 03/27/09 07:05 PM
Kicker – don’t be a grouch; life is a lot more fun with a sense of humor.

There aren’t that many hurdles. Kids love to play, parents enjoy watching their kids play and coaches enjoy coaching a game they love. South Carolina has some great clubs – that are run really well.
Posted By: LeGrazie Re: General observations - 03/28/09 12:33 AM
1. Fields

2. Organization - getting a group of busy people on the same page at the same time is a huge challenge.

3. Money - club soccer is too expensive. Kids are left out as a result. I know, all clubs offer scholarships, but we all know of players that were scared off by the cost of playing. All of the clubs are non-profit, but one way or another money must change hands to pay for overhead, coaches, equipment, etc. Look at most clubs and there is some form of indirect government subsidy for them, usually in the form of public fields or grants.

A lot of good is done at our soccer clubs. While we sometimes talk of profits and pay, I believe that all of the clubs I've seen are sustained by a passion for the game.

I can't help but wonder if the club soccer system is sustainable in its current form. I'm not advocating mergers as a solution. While mergers may be appropriate in some circumstances, it seems that a merger spawns new clubs within a couple of years.

Club soccer is relatively young in this country, and as soccer grows I wonder if we will eventually move to a different way of developing our young players.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: General observations - 03/28/09 02:19 AM
One hurdle we run into in the soccer scene is that sometimes the people involved really do take themselves a little bit TOO seriously--they forget that even in the midst of the pursuit of excellence, sometimes you need to be able to relax, have some fun, and yes, even laugh. I think a significant number of young players get a little "burnt out" sometimes by constant pressure that isn't always balanced by an element of just plain enjoyment. I think players are at their best when they enjoy what they do and are able to take a moment to laugh--not when it's just a job and a duty.

Not taking a poke at SCKicker with this, please understand...just that scsoccer's comment put me in mind of this, and it's something I've observed in multiple places in both club and high school soccer.
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: General observations - 03/28/09 02:34 AM
Another hurdle is trying to get young people involved in the sport while fighting the perception that soccer has to be an "elite" sport. In this country (unlike many of the parts of the world where soccer is king), people seem to cultivate the idea that soccer is all about top tier recognition or nothing. I've known a number of young athletes who have been reluctant to join the sport, or have dropped out, because they feel they are not "good enough" to play at the level where their efforts are recognized and appreciated--an image that is often perpetuated by a focus on the top levels only with a lack of recognition for what is going on at the grassroots and middle levels. A significant number of young athletes who could both benefit from and contribute to this sport are sometimes turned away by the idea that they have to go to the "right" clubs or the "right" schools starting at the "right" age, or they might as well not bother.
Posted By: SCKicker Re: General observations - 03/28/09 02:49 AM
Quote:

1. Fields

2. Organization - getting a group of busy people on the same page at the same time is a huge challenge.

3. Money - club soccer is too expensive. Kids are left out as a result. I know, all clubs offer scholarships, but we all know of players that were scared off by the cost of playing. All of the clubs are non-profit, but one way or another money must change hands to pay for overhead, coaches, equipment, etc. Look at most clubs and there is some form of indirect government subsidy for them, usually in the form of public fields or grants.

A lot of good is done at our soccer clubs. While we sometimes talk of profits and pay, I believe that all of the clubs I've seen are sustained by a passion for the game.

I can't help but wonder if the club soccer system is sustainable in its current form. I'm not advocating mergers as a solution. While mergers may be appropriate in some circumstances, it seems that a merger spawns new clubs within a couple of years.

Club soccer is relatively young in this country, and as soccer grows I wonder if we will eventually move to a different way of developing our young players.

Wonderful LE.
Posted By: SCKicker Re: General observations - 03/28/09 03:17 AM
Quote:

One hurdle we run into in the soccer scene is that sometimes the people involved really do take themselves a little bit TOO seriously--they forget that even in the midst of the pursuit of excellence, sometimes you need to be able to relax, have some fun, and yes, even laugh. I think a significant number of young players get a little "burnt out" sometimes by constant pressure that isn't always balanced by an element of just plain enjoyment. I think players are at their best when they enjoy what they do and are able to take a moment to laugh--not when it's just a job and a duty.

Not taking a poke at SCKicker with this, please understand...just that scsoccer's comment put me in mind of this, and it's something I've observed in multiple places in both club and high school soccer.

Coach Chass, i truly appreciate your comment on this one. There is just one thing though,parents are paying A TON of money that they could be using for other things,let alone investing in other sports for their kids.Yes there is the fun factor that we definately need to magnify in the soccer system but truthfuly there is more work to be done about how we do it as coaches and what we honestly believe we can make our players benefit out of it all.By this i am referring to say 10yrs way after the players have left the club program.Are we equipping them to deal with that scenario or just training them to skip and hop and smile? Both though are applicable to the ultimate enjoyment of the game but which prepares them better for the aftermath of club soccer or to even break it down "age group" advancement.However as scsoccer commented earlier,if we can combine his thought to constructive and productive methods of training as opposed to the combination of "fun" and training methods simply meant to profit the clubs,then maybe we are onto something. Once again thanks for your input.
Posted By: SCKicker Re: General observations - 03/28/09 03:23 AM
Quote:

Another hurdle is trying to get young people involved in the sport while fighting the perception that soccer has to be an "elite" sport. In this country (unlike many of the parts of the world where soccer is king), people seem to cultivate the idea that soccer is all about top tier recognition or nothing. I've known a number of young athletes who have been reluctant to join the sport, or have dropped out, because they feel they are not "good enough" to play at the level where their efforts are recognized and appreciated--an image that is often perpetuated by a focus on the top levels only with a lack of recognition for what is going on at the grassroots and middle levels. A significant number of young athletes who could both benefit from and contribute to this sport are sometimes turned away by the idea that they have to go to the "right" clubs or the "right" schools starting at the "right" age, or they might as well not bother.

Coach Chass,Wow,great post you just made. A very impressive observation. While we continue with the original post,can someone tackle this for us and possibly share how they think we can overcome this?Good stuff coach chass!
Posted By: Coach Chass Re: General observations - 03/28/09 03:30 AM
I agree...please don't mistake anything I say about fun as advocating a "hop, skip, and who cares" attitude. My belief is that to be at their best, players need to put their best into the sport. So much of the intangible difference on the field is made through heart...loving what you do enough to push beyond the mathematics of what you "should" be able to do. Part of that is being able to truly enjoy the experience--and that means a sense of accomplishment through conscientious effort and results combined with a sense of fun and team camaraderie.

I once worked with a club trainer who told our girls, "There's no room for laughter at soccer practice." At that point, they were struggling, disheartened, and fairly negative about the experience. We made room for some laughter balanced by hard work and dedication, and a couple of years later the same team laughed and fought their way to their state finals.
Posted By: SCKicker Re: General observations - 03/28/09 03:31 AM
Quote:

1. Fields

Returning to Legrazies post,Point #2 is one of the overlooked aspects but yet very influential in twisting the game in youth soccer.It is tough with al lthe responsibilities for some and for others multiple kids doing various sports.Not that much fun to juggle.Not had kids to swing around like alot of parents but sure have chauffered kids playing at different age groups to games e.t.c and it is something else altogether.Are there any parents that have favorably dealt with this before?Don't have to name anyone just the experience and how it got easier for you to deal with.
The point about the money and profits.Am sure we do have some finance proffessionals around or even others who became finance proffessionals after the whole soccer experience ,any views or takes on this topic?
Posted By: SCKicker Re: General observations - 03/28/09 03:38 AM
Quote:

I agree...please don't mistake anything I say about fun as advocating a "hop, skip, and who cares" attitude. My belief is that to be at their best, players need to put their best into the sport. So much of the intangible difference on the field is made through heart...loving what you do enough to push beyond the mathematics of what you "should" be able to do. Part of that is being able to truly enjoy the experience--and that means a sense of accomplishment through conscientious effort and results combined with a sense of fun and team camaraderie.

I once worked with a club trainer who told our girls, "There's no room for laughter at soccer practice." At that point, they were struggling, disheartened, and fairly negative about the experience. We made room for some laughter balanced by hard work and dedication, and a couple of years later the same team laughed and fought their way to their state finals.

Standing right behind you on that point Coach Chass!
Posted By: SCKicker Re: General observations - 03/28/09 05:18 AM
Quote:

Quote:

To me money can only be gathered in "profit mode". It is a very private sector mentality that I believe gets lost or forgotten when encased in a (forgive the curse word) non profit endeavor.

Can you please expand on what you perceive to be the biggest difference between these two?

In very general terms a "not for profit" organization is required to have no net profit. Any profit at the end of the year needs to be turned back into the basic "business, or business sector" that generated it. You can get very sophisticated with this and have an annual operating reserve, and even a net operating reserve, (how do you think the SCYSA has a big bank account carried over year to year?) provided that's defined in the non profit status, however these reserves are not to be distributed as profits to members of the organization.

Nowhere in this mode and distinction is it implied or mandated that the organization does not follow standard business practices, including the generation of excess funds to return to the business, which most would call profit.

In general people hear the term non profit organization and somehow think it has to operate differently than other businesses. More importantly, I believe they feel that as a not for profit organization, they somehow have a different level of control of the business, or a different requirement for knowledge of how the business operates.

Quite educative.Thanks.
Posted By: kidd90 Re: General observations - 03/28/09 10:58 PM
AHS RULES
Posted By: soccerislife SCYSA=CESA - 04/05/09 05:20 PM
More to come on the special announcement
© SC Soccer