SC Soccer
Posted By: Luna-Chicks 98G Region III Presidents Cup - 06/09/09 04:54 PM
Good luck to all of the South Carolina Clubs....

http://carolinaelitesc.demosphere.com/Schedules/

Go
JIYSC 95 Girls!

Clinton
JIYSC 98 Luna-Chicks
Posted By: Andy Grist Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/09/09 08:18 PM
Thanks Clinton.

Good luck everyone.

Go MPSC 93 Girls!
Posted By: Kevin Roberts Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/12/09 03:34 PM
tought first day for sc teams so far JI95G fell 2-0 to the texas wave girls we will definately try to get some points on the board next game. Good luck to the other SC teams with late games.
Posted By: MPSC#1 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/12/09 03:42 PM
Still got MPSC91...hopefully they will win their first game.
MPSC93 lost 5-2 in their first game.
Posted By: onthefence Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/12/09 04:16 PM
MPSC 93 Lost 5-2 to a very strong team from Georgia. Tennessee next....
Posted By: Chantman Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/12/09 07:23 PM
MPSC 96 Elite Boys lost this morning 2-0.
Posted By: MPSC#1 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/13/09 11:37 AM
MPSC 93G lost their second game 3-0.
MPSC 91G lost their first in a hard fought game 1-0
MPSC 96B second game 1-1
Posted By: BEACHMAN Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/13/09 01:20 PM
Coast FA 92 Red 1-1 draw in first match and lost 0-4 in second.
Posted By: onthefence Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/13/09 01:46 PM
Summerville U15 Boys lost both games 2-1
CESA U15 Boys lost both games 2-0 and 3-0
Posted By: onthefence Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/13/09 01:47 PM
What reasons for SC getting a poor showing?
Posted By: loganf13 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/13/09 05:07 PM
probably because other states have there u15s playing in the spring together and our u15s are stuck playing jv soccer or sitting the bench on varsity. then they are playing with majority poor players or getting no time on the ball.
Posted By: Andy Grist Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 12:30 AM
I think that contributed. Speed of play was a lot faster.
Posted By: loganf13 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 02:09 AM
i talked to a few guys off of the u15s and they said the goals they conceded were rather scrappy. does anyone know how the lowcountry teams did today?
Posted By: southeastsc Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 02:34 AM
Quote:

i talked to a few guys off of the u15s and they said the goals they conceded were rather scrappy. does anyone know how the lowcountry teams did today?

Unfortunately, not very well. None of the teams won any of their games with only three teams having one tie a piece:

MPSC 96 Boys Elite: Lost 2 games, Tied 1 game
James Island 95 Girls: Lost 3 games
MPSC 93 Girls White: Lost 3 games
Coast 92 Red Girls: Lost 2 games, Tied 1 game
MPSC 91 Maroon Girls: Lost 2 games, Tied 1 game

Better luck next year!
Posted By: loganf13 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 04:48 AM
what about ssc?
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 12:06 PM
SSC lost all three matches
Posted By: soccerislife Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 12:20 PM
I think that the state soccer association and the high school league needs to revisit the timing of its league. The SC teams are surely at a disadvantage after not playing together for months. When the kids are in high school season their school coaches doesn't want them part taking in anythings else.

So do we want a good showing at every level, then a compromise is needed. Who needs who? Can we get a win win solution? I don't it, but it's worth asking the question...
Posted By: headsup Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 12:28 PM
Again i think this is a perfect example that the lowcountry
needs to come together and form competitive teams in order to be able to compete at any level outside of SC.There are several clubs that are trying to do this....it's amazing people still don't get it.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 12:44 PM
More kids to choose from would be a plus but it does not mean more wins..The participation numbers have always been lower in SC compared to surrounding states.They have more kids to choose from.That means more size,strength and speed to choose from also.
Posted By: loganf13 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 01:16 PM
there really isnt much more you can do about the timing of high school soccer. to get these kids to carry on playing spring club soccer instead of jv has to be a choice. maybe the attraction of not having to pay for jv is why. maybe clubs should be doing the same as the acadamy teams for u12s ect. and have the players commit the whole year until they come of age where spring club isnt offered. the way i see it the kids who can still play u15 soccer are usually freshman and they will be getting a whole season which is highly competitive instead of playing in a poor jv league. then the sophmores will all be playing jv and being developed into their respected high schools "system" and the jv league will be stronger. this would all contribute to the quality of varsity soccer.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 01:44 PM
Why are some folks out there shifting the blame on high school JV soccer?

If your daughter is U-15 (93's) she is most likely, at least, a freshman in high school. If she is a competitive club player (playing on a state championship club team that is representing SC in the Region III Presidents Cup), shouldn't she be on her high school varsity team? With teams like Wando, West Ashley, Bishop England, etc. down in the Low Country, how does this hurt her preparation for playing in this R3 event in June?
Posted By: Kevin Roberts Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 02:29 PM
From the U13girls side I dont think any of the teams were way out of our league at all the games were one or 2 goal differences and with the exception of the tennesee team we played in game 3 the other games were due to some serious misfortune it was a good experience for everyone and the girls will just have to build on it for next time.

With regards to the overall performance of the sc teams definately raises the question of what can we do differently It may very well be that we need to create regional state wide training/preparation programs for all teams travelling to a regional tournament about 6 weeks prior to the tournament assisting the teams with getting in enough games among other things and maybe this kind of effort could help us get a step closer to better results through a joint state/club effort by all just some food for thought.

Personally I dont think that school ball hinders the teams getting ready for the tournament.
Posted By: loganf13 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 04:50 PM
i understand if the player is starting for their varsity team its the players who i think get nothing out of jv soccer or sittin on varsity when they could be competing for state and regional titles with their club team. its all about development at this age and playing against poor teams or sitting on the bench doesnt get you that.
Posted By: loganf13 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 04:51 PM
even though sc teams didnt do as well as we expect we should still be proud of them. its a great experience for them and it shows them first hand what they need to work on. congrats to all teams who competed this weekend!
Posted By: WormBurner Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 10:53 PM
Quote:

If your daughter is U-15 (93's) she is most likely, at least, a freshman in high school. If she is a competitive club player (playing on a state championship club team that is representing SC in the Region III Presidents Cup), shouldn't she be on her high school varsity team? With teams like Wando, West Ashley, Bishop England, etc. down in the Low Country, how does this hurt her preparation for playing in this R3 event in June?

MPSC 91 Maroon is a very good classic level team. None of those girls played varsity at Wando. Maybe 1 or 2 play varsity for BE.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/14/09 11:17 PM

Thank you WormBurner.

Mount Pleasant 91 Maroon is a very good classic level team. The Presidents Cup is a second-tier tournament. Doesn't mean the teams that we are sending into the tournament are bad teams, it just shows that the DEPTH of South Carolina club soccer isn't on par with the other states in the region.

Why? Perhaps because we have a smaller population. We don't have the numbers. Their second-tier teams are stronger than our second-tier teams. They have more to choose from.

Again, MPSC 91 Maroon is a very good classic level team, just like RC Cola is a very good soft drink. Just because RC will never catch Coke doesn't mean RC isn't a refreshing beverage (and some prefer it over Coke & Pepsi).
Posted By: Clark Griswold Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/15/09 11:58 AM
I think it could be argued that while the President's Cup is a second-tier tournament, the teams competing are actually third-tier or even lower. Without going through the whole scysa website, I noticed that at the u13B level, CESA had 3 of the 8 teams playing in the spring challenge cup (95 Premier and Challenge,96 Premier). I could be wrong but from this it would seem to me that there are 2 other teams in it's true age group and a younger team from the same club that are better than the CESA u13B Classic team (which I am guessing was competing for a spot at the President's Cup). Are the other clubs this way?
Posted By: beachfan Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/15/09 01:18 PM
Quote:

Hurst - The 91 MPSC team took 15 players with them to Region III. 3 played varsity at BE; 2 played varsity at West Ashley; 1 played varsity at Academic Magnet; 1 played varsity at Pinewood Prep; and 8 attended Wando, but did not play high school soccer. Most of these Wando players were part of the JV team 2 seasons ago that went undefeated, but as juniors did not play because the varsity team is full of challenge and premier level players (several 9th & 10th graders).

This team was very competitive in all their matches. They lost 1-0 to a good S.Texas team in a match that was very evenly played. The game was 0-0 with 10 minutes left in the game. They lost 2-0 to Oklahoma. The game was 1-0 until the last 3 minutes. They won there final game 1-0 over Florida in a game that MPSC 91 outplayed their opponent. The team easily could have been 2-1.

Considering half the team had not played a competitive match in over 5 months, this team represented themselves and the state quite well.

Our club and high school seasons are what they are and I do not see them changing. However, it is an advantage to come to Regionals straight from the State Cups as opposed to reassembling a team after 6 months of not playing together.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/15/09 01:34 PM
beachfan,

Thanks for the roster breakdown on the MPSC 91 Girls.

Having played that Wando JV girls team in the Irmo Tournament two (or three) seasons ago, I remember them very well. Even though they are no longer playing for Wando, I think it is tremendous that these girls have decided to stay together and continue to play competitive club soccer. Congratulations on the results and I hope the girls all had a great time.
Posted By: beachfan Re: Region III Presidents Cup - 06/15/09 01:55 PM
Quote:

beachfan,

Thanks for the roster breakdown on the MPSC 91 Girls.

Having played that Wando JV girls team in the Irmo Tournament two (or three) seasons ago, I remember them very well. Even though they are no longer playing for Wando, I think it is tremendous that these girls have decided to stay together and continue to play competitive club soccer. Congratulations on the results and I hope the girls all had a great time.

It was a great weekend and the girls had a blast. It was an experience that they walked away from feeling great about and one they will remember for a long time.

Also, I must give a plug to CESA for a first class run event. They did the state proud. The amount of work and the number of volunteers that it took to run this event was amazing. The expanded MESA complex is very nice and I overheard parents and coaches from other states remark that they were blown away with how nice it was.

Finally, I want to give high marks to the folks from SCYSA that were present at the games. They get a lot of flack on this board, but were visible and supportive during the weekend. After the final game Steve Ballentine walked over to the bench to congratulate the team on the victory and took a team picture. It meant a lot to the girls and coach (this parent as well).
© SC Soccer