SC Soccer
Moved this to a new thread to focus on what 2004striker wants to talk about.

[2004striker] OK, OK, enough of this CESA Lovefest!! I too applaud the merger and acknowledge your accomplishments in one year, and Mark, as you may have surmised from all of my rants about a Cola merger, I only am pleading for the same in Cola. It is what Cola needs to keep up with you fine folks at CESA. And in the long run a merger here would make SC a stronger, more vibrant soccer state on the regional and national scene. But, for the sake of my personal sanity, can we move on past this Lovefest?
We in the midlands now need to hear from the respective area club officials -CRSA/CSC/LSC/NECSA- who have the power or position to discuss, review and consider a merger. But, my hopes have been dashed like Prancer too many times before with sounds of silence about the merger issue. The afore-mentioned midlands clubs clearly know what the future holds for them. As I have asked too many times before, do you want to field average, convenient teams that may, on occasional odd years, merely challenge for state championships or do you want to field consistent yearly teams that win those championships and go on to regional challenges? Midlands clubs, there is an open goal for a shot, but do you even make an attempt?
You and I have discussed the idea of a Columbia-area merger on this message board as have others for a very long time. The reasoning had nothing to do with a single upstate club; instead it had to do with the fact that no one in the midstate was offering a full range of services for youth soccer players -- in particular, highly ambitious and talented players.

There are sure to be people who disagree that this is needed -- and quite a few of them have also posted on this message board saying that what the midstate, in particular the Columbia area, now has is fine.

Look -- when my daughter fell in love with soccer and wanted to train instead of sleeping and eating -- I agitated for a while at my daughter's midstate soccer club to take it from a "volunteer" club [USSF lingo] to a "professional" club with higher aspirations. Most people either didn't care or actively didn't want it. I looked around the Columbia area; couldn't find anything that I thought was as serious as she wanted to be. But it wasn't rocket science -- when she was 12 years old (she's 14 now) she began pestering me about taking her to the upstate.

I know that there are teams in the midlands that are wonderful; but the problem is finding a club that is wonderful. You're right; that's not going to happen without a merger. But I don't believe that most parents want a merger. And I don't see any leadership out there, with the exception of Crosby at CSC, who have expressed an interest. While I disagree with his perspective, I have to respect Heise on this board who has prefaced most discussions of this type with something along the lines [I'm paraphrasing] that he's 90% focused on HS soccer in any case. Were that everyone was so honest with respect to intent.

So I think that your choices are to get with CSC and give them your own personal time and energy to build a midlands-dominant soccer club or to use your personal time and energy to get with an upstate-dominant soccer club and help them provide broader and deeper services for all SC players. I chose the latter...and honestly, I chose it before it became a bit more obvious (e.g., before any mergers). But I fully respect anyone who chooses another path.

2004striker, the reason that I think some people attack you about this merger thing is that they see it as "barking at the moon" -- the moon doesn't care. I care -- you care -- but most people don't. I don't like it, but I completely understand that for casual soccer players, what the Columbia area has now meets their most of their needs.

One last note -- and I'm trying to state fact here, not engage in a lovefest. But those CESA teams -- a lot of them have a lot of players from 20 miles, 30 miles, and up to 100 miles away. At one point there was a girl flying in each weekend from California to play on a team. For most of the season, CESA offered two practices a week for Columbia players IN COLUMBIA and the people training were incredibly highly qualified in every sense of the word. Last time I said this on the message board a lot of people told me that this wouldn't produce high-quality teams. I disagree. But regardless, there's yet another option for highly ambitious players in the midlands that aren't lucky enough to find that one really serious team in their gender and age bracket that is five minutes from their home.
With this past weekends disappointing results for Cola, I'm still not sure enough happened for there to be a hue and cry for merger among the 4 clubs.CSC has already expressed an interest in merging , so nothing changes there. Lexington and Congaree seem to be more aligned for feeder programs to the high school teams, so nothing changes there.As for NECSA, I can't speak for them , but I imagine they feel pretty good about this past weekend.The Ambush certainly did nothing to embarass themselves and the younger team made the finals and Premier league and seem to be not that far off from CESA at this point. So, I might be wrong, but I don't see any great clamor happening at NECSA for a merger.So what now for Cola.? Maybe another year like this one might turn some heads, but I don't know at this point what the answer is.
Why is a merger needed? If the "best teams" in the Midlands selected the "best players" in the Columbia area we wouldn't be having this discussion. It's time for the top players in the older age groups from NECSA, LSC, CRSA, and CSC to tryout at CSC since it has the best infrastructure (facilities, coaches, organization). Period!

But, it's also important for the coaches and directors at CSC to know what kind of talent is trying out and to select the best players. Not whose parent is going to make the best team manager. Not who might be the player that can show up every weekend for tournaments. Not whose high school coach I have to work with in the spring. Not who has the potential in two years to be at this level.

The coach(es) of these teams need to be held somewhat accountable for their results this weekend. Quite simply, you're not going to beat the CESA or MPSC teams with a lesser pool of players and that it what I witnessed with the NECSA and CSC teams competing this weekend.
Always Right

Why does CSC automatically get the best players? You said that the best players in each age group should all tryout for the same team. Did you not see results from this past weekend? We will start at the top, the CSC 18s were the best team in Columbia and have been pulling players from a few areas, ie Northeast, Downtown, Sumter, etc. But that team is now done. At the u17 age group, CSC has been the best in the area for a few years now. They got one, maybe two players from NECSA and another from Congaree and did not even make it as far as last year. NECSA with a weaker team went to the semis and lost in overtime to a better CSC in the 3rd place game. Right now, you can not say that one is better than the other because CSC has lost its Premier League spot. At the u16 level, only CSC fields a team, but has at least 3 players coming from the northeast side of town. They also lost in the semis. At the u15 level, CESA thumped CSC 4-1, while NECSA lost to CESA in overtime and were minutes from PKs. If we take it one more step, only NECSA fields a u14 team. So technically, from your earlier statement, the best players in the Columbia area should be on the following teams--u15 NECSA, u16 NECSA, u17 CSC, u18 CSC/NECSA. at next years 18 level, you could essentially make a case for either team. Mainly because of coaching. Tripp Miller has an excellent track record for producing quality teams and the u17 team is just another notch. In my view, this would have the best players trying out for the best teams, as you stated.

I am not on here trying to promote one club over another. I believe CSC might be a step above everyone when talking about infrastructure. CSC does have great facilities. However, the organization you point out as a strong point is actually not as strong as you believe in my opinion. Eddie is terribly unorganized at times. Everything looks good on paper, but does not flow like one would expect. However, the biggest problem with CSC right now is that it is still viewed as an extension of Irmo HS and the surrounding high schools.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/15/04 05:38 AM
Good Point. Or Points. Where did Crosby coach before CSC? Lower where would you send your kids?
L4A I agree with your statement. My comments stemmed from the things currently in place at CSC. I still feel like NECSA needs to put forth their best effort by seeing their players tryout at CSC if the Columbia area wants a "true super team". I've seen some of those "quality" teams produced by NECSA and none have ever taken it all the way. I'm not saying that the current DOC of CSC is fit for that position, seems a little out of league, especially with some of the personnel moves. But, maybe with some guidance from peers or more experienced coaches that can develop as well.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/14/04 07:50 PM
Well two things here for me. First CSC DID NOT have the best talent in COLA. They had a good portion of it but some kids on that team are WAY WAY over their heads. SECOND Those Irmo kids are so pampered in HS that when they habe to have discipline they "bug" out. I can see fault with the DOC but at the same time some of those kids at that age are just hell to deal with.

With that being said can anyone answer my earlier question?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/14/04 11:09 PM
Sheare, Coach Crosby got his first head coaching job on my u-11 soccer team, that was about 8 years ago.
Shearer, my semi-lucid friend,:
I have to agree for the very first time ever, with just 1 thing you said; that CSC U17 did not have all the best talent in Cola area. NECSA has maybe 3,4 who would helped that team tremendously; especially with some goal scoring. So why are you opposed to a merger to get all these guys together? There were also, only 4 Irmo boys on the team, so it definitely is not a feeder for Irmo High. A merger would put the best together. Thats what it will take to compete with CESA from this point on. But, its all about commitment.
Does the issue now become can the midlands area clubs keep their top level players from leaving to play for CESA? You would think that the top players at u16 or u17 age and up would want to give CESA a good look.
If guys/gals in U-16 and up want to play premier then most of the choices are with CESA or MPSC. In looking at the following results from state cup you can try CESA or MPSC for 11 of the 12 premier slots, with only one in Cola. area (assuming all of these agree to play premier and I am not aware of the current U14 teams that will be playing U15 premier next season. I am sure some of those teams are CESA as well.):

Age Winner Runner-up
U15 Girls
CESA 89 Premier 1 MPSC U15G White 0
U16 Girls
CESA 88 Premier 2 MPSC U16G White 0
U17 Girls
CESA 87 Premier 3 CESA 87 Challenge 0
U18 Girls
CESA 86 Premier 2 CUSC Fusion 0

U15 Boys
CESA 89 Premier 2 NECSA Blast 2
U16 Boys
CESA 88 Premier 2 MPSC U16 White 1
U17 Boys
CESA 87 Premier 2 MPSC U17 White 0
U18 Boys
CESA 86 Premier 2 CSC Burn 86 Navy 1-OT

With all the talent at CESA, MPSC may be an option for some high level players in Cola., especially at U17 and U18 levels. (Is it about 90 min. drive to both MPSC & CESA?) Also, will MPSC offer Cola. area training similar to what CESA did last year?
A question for my soccer guru friend, Mark, - How many and what age player(s) did practice in Cola. area this past season and play on a CESA team??
To try to answer the question from above: the only soccer guru in my family is my daughter. What she tells me is primarily about the girls side -- so I'm pretty much a dufus when it comes to answering this well. She's worked for one spring and one fall with first GFC and then CESA in Columbia. I remember her telling me last spring that there were several 16-18 year old boys practicing, one of whom was a player that I've read about on this board [note: I'm pretty sensitive on this message board about names unless it's complimenting someone about play in a game]. This fall (CESA), I know that there were girls from at least the Charleston, Florence, and the Columbia area that did some training in the Columbia area and played on teams from U16G to U18G.

On my daughter's U16G team, of the 16 girls on roster, 25% of the girls were from 90+ miles away. That doesn't tell the full story, however, in that there were girls from surrounding areas ss well that traveled 30-45 minutes one-way to get to practice. The players and parents were serious about both training and games [which is what my daughter wanted].
Shearer

Back to your earlier questions. Eddie has only worked with CSC, I believe. He also was an assistant at Irmo HS and helped for a year or two with ODP. Nothing out of the ordinary for a qaulity club coach in the state. He was only the second DOC in the history of the club (if i have been told correctly by people involved with the club). Dick Hiller was the first DOC and held the position for a short period before he had to resign for personal reasons. So Eddie truly had no formal training and help before he was given control of such a large club. I believe he is doing an ok job, but makes claims and promises openly. Needs to sit back and let things develop then when things dont go CSC's way (ie. this past weekend), he will not look as bad.

I do not have children so I cannot answer your question about which club my child would play on. It really depends on which club at the best team in the midlands area. But, as TW Sharpe stated, I would not be opposed to traveling further up the road to CESA to play on one of their premier teams. The biggest problem with CSC is the attitudes of the players as you pointed out in an earlier post.

One question about the merger everyone talks about. Why does CSC automatically become the club in charge and NECSA players would have to travel to CSC to train. First of all, if a merger of this size happens, 2 facilities are going to be needed. CESA trains at both MESA and Wenwood Complexes. So, some training would inevitably have to take place in the northeast part of town and possibly even downtown if Congaree was involved. Why would Tripp merge and force all of his players to drive to CSC, when he now has more premier teams than CSC? Someone please give me a legitimate answer to that question and not the normal response that we always get, CSC has better infrastructure. The complex does not make a club. Its nice, but it can be done without a top notch facility as Tripp and the others at NECSA have shown.
Mark Campbell,

I respect your opinion and views on this board, but really think you have flipped your lid when you quote that, "At one point there was a girl flying in each weekend from California to play on a team."

Are you serious? Is she? Are her parents?

That's simply ludicrous in my opinion!

Being dedicated is one thing, but being addicted is another. Her parents could have paid a semester's tuition to a state school with five round-trip flights!

I highly doubt that the player or team will develop that much on these training sessions. Unless money is of no option and a care-free attitude persists this is a simple waste!

For so long I've watched my children grow up in a predominantly socio-economic decent level, but now only wonder if their Mother and I have cheated them of the particulars of real life. I hope not, but this kind of social separation is not what I want in club soccer!
Lower,
I am a big proponent of a merger in midlands as you may have gathered from my crazy rants in this forum. I do not believe that NECSA players should just up and leave and go to CSC to practice, etc. I believe in a full merger with LSC/CRSA/CSC & NECSA. CSC would not be the 'club in charge'; it would be one large club, of course. I agree with your assessment of Tripp as a quality coach and there are many others at NECSA who would contribute in a large quality talent pool of coaches with a merger. And Tripp can win and compete with average and above average players. I would love to see him with another quality team, like the Storm or Galaxy years ago. A mixture of the right CSC & NECSA players may produce such a team. But I still harp and pine and 'bark' for a merger because thats the way to compete every year for state championships in all age groups and genders with that 'big, bad club up north!'
OK, but if that's the direction Columbia goes, then who is going to assemble "all of the egos" to meet on this and make it happen! Who would you include?
There is no way that egos can be addressed. The clubs gotta, wanta, havit. CSC is the only one that indicated a desire to work together with the rest....but nothing came of it last year. CRSA wants to feed players into its area school, which is OK, but will not challenge CESA anytime soon; NECSA wants to win, unless too much winning infringes on the social atmosphere of the club. And I have not a clue as to what LSC wants. They have a great facility there and nice fields, but obviously don't want quality soccer played on them. So....no merger is gonna happen with those mind sets. I have decided, therefore, to start a new club to compete with CESA- it will have no egos, no name or flashy uniforms, no soccer moms,no obnoxious dads, no ODP players allowed, no parents at tryouts or practices cause they ain't gonna be nice and pretty, and no whining about playing time cause we gotta win championships. These are just a few initial regulations of the new club. I gotta work on the name, fees, fields, organization, and a few other things. But I will let you know when I get it all together.
2004striker - that's called a pipedream! Sorry to rain on your parade, but that won't happen.

I agree on many of your points and think that Charleston and Columbia would both strengthen their cause with mergers, but only under the right circumstances led by true soccer leaders.
talon,
'Hey, that may be a good name for the club *MEPSA* - 'The Midlands Elite Pipedream Soccer Academy'
One thing that you all need to consider when there is so much talk about mergers is money. Like it or not, the money is what makes things run. Sure, people will volunteer their time, but classic coaches get paid and DOC's can make a good bit of money. As with any merger, a combination of two clubs can result in some coaches losing their job or a DOC that gets the short end of the stick. DOC's can make a decent salary, and if you combine two decent size clubs, what do you do with the coaching staffs? Also, lets not forget that there are egos involved. Take 1 DOC and add another DOC and then who gets control? For now, the CESA merger between the DOC's work because Tormey is in charge of the Rec program, and Hyslop is in charge of the Classic program. We'll see if that will work in the long run. You would need a situation similar to that in order to get two solid clubs to merge. We all can talk about what is best from a competitive standpoint, but let's not forget that there is money involved.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 03:44 PM
When Has CSC said we will give up being CSC and we will do whats best for soccer? NEVER It is always Come to CSC we can make it the best. Yes they are willing to work together BUT at the same time it is self serving!!!! COME ON I I don't agree w/ Talon it is not a pipedream but if you think it wil happen that easily your hitting the pipe!!!!(crack get it)
Oh, poor Shearer.............
First you are into too much brown ale and now its crack?? Since you are always 'cracking' on my rants for a merger, what do you think needs to be done to help midlands soccer improve....and don't say that it is OK the way it is cause it ain't.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/17/04 05:44 AM
No it is not ok but what you fail to realize is that the attitude toward "classic" soccer is second to HS soccer in the Columbia. Now with that being siad can Columbia compete IF all the players were in one spot.....OF COURSE. Do I have an answer for this OF COURSE NOT. There are so many details in this idea.

What I meant above is that if you ask kids in Columbia .....The majority would say they would rather win a HS State Championship that an SCYSA title. The emphasis is more on the HS game in our area. That won't change any time soon.

Now you are going to battle me with the kids can't get better w/o a good club atmosphere. Right and wrong. Look you can have the CASL's ATL Fire Dallas Texans etc and that's great and all and more power to them but the bottom line is this kids get better by playing the game PERIOD. Yes they get better by playing at a higher level but that doesn't mean that we must have ONE club in Cola. Has it worked for CESA....So far YES. But it will not work in Cola.

Our best bet is to take the top 5/6 from each HS in Cola let them play at CSC/NECSA and hope they can challenge for a title. That would serve everybody. How do you decide ....I don't know. I know at NECSA Tripp would be the canidate for the top team and has a great track record for winning and MANAGING the top talent. Now CSC has the best facilities but I think this year proved that some of the CSC coaches have yet to master the MANAGING aspect of that level of soccer. Not a knock but it takes time to get to that level.

On a side note IF Bert is on at CSC like their website claims he WAS A MASTER OF THE ELITE Teams!!! Those Patriot teams he had were outstanding!!!!Now I don't know if he can coach that age group anymore w/ NCAA rules etc but that is who I would tab as the next ELITE team coach in Cola. Just my thoughts

Enjoy the one and only BROWN ALE!@!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 06:07 PM
2004 Striker it will happen just give it a couple of years. Maybe not soon enough for your family?
Columbians can't stand for Greenville to stay ahead on anything for longer than that and vica versa.

2 threads going on one topic sounds pretty important.
Shearer, You are indeed a drunken fool, but at least you drink the best brown ale in the world-'Newcastle'. I cannot concur with your delusional thought that HS soccer is more important to the kids in Cola. College coaches don't go to high school games and the real serious soccer kid wants to play in college at some level. You never have the all better players on your HS team and a really competitive club and club team can make you a great high school player. Consider Tomek and his play at Concorde Fire. Consider Troy Lesesne and his play at Congaree & NECSA. Consider Spenser Lewis at St. Giles and CSC. Many high schools are composed of rec players and classic players and others from other various sports, just playing between football or basketball. And your solution is to "take top 5/6 players from each school team and have them play together at CSC/NECSA??? Now, how do you propose to 'take them'? It is still a crime, I think, to kidnap kids and take them to another location. And is Tripp or Eddie gonna ask the top 5/6 kids politely to come with our team? The kids will only choose what their parents will allow them to choose. With a merged club the choice is made for them. That is when you truly will field the best teams.
So.......this is my final plea to the Cola. area soccer DOCs, club boards, parents, kids and friends of the 'beautiful game': let us please give it serious consideration. You cannot imagine the benefits to our soccer kids and those to come if we can here, today, begin serious discussions of a merger in Cola. Some of the benefits are these: 1)A central club would provide more of a sense of community in Cola. 2) More resources (fields/facilities) for all soccer kids to utilize 3)A collective pool of the best coaches in the whole area and eventually the state 4) A large club that can reach out to some kids who need an affordable sport in their lives (and it can be made affordable with sponsors, benefactors, etc.) 5) With some 20 fields within a relatively small radius a new club could offer large tournaments on par with the Atlanta Cup. Showcase and final games can be played at Memorial or Stone stadiums. 6)This would also be a boon to the Cola. economy and maybe open up avenues for grants or other city assistance with tournaments. 7) Develop elite teams alongside fun rec teams that foster the game of soccer and put Columbia on the regional and national soccer map. 8)Keep CESA from ever sweeping all the state championships again! 9) A merger would allow me to get off this addictive forum that has taken over my daily life. Thanx a lot, Kyle! and 10) Most importantly, a merger would allow us proud parents to call one club our collective home. It can be done-it takes hard work as all things in life do- and one day I can sit on the sidelines as a grandpa and say that it sure is grand!
i think Shearer nailed the whole idea when he said that high school soccer is more important that club soccer in the eyes of alot of players in the Columbia area. First of all, we have one club, Congaree, that solely concentrates its efforts at being a feeder program for B-C and the surrounding downtown schools. i am not saying this is a bad thing, but this does not exist in Greenville or Charleston. Secondly, I have heard numerous CSC kids say they can not wait for high school season and that they play club only to stay playing soccer. NECSA does not allow, or strongly discourages, their 13s and 14s from playing JV soccer. However, that is exactly the opposite at CSC. LSC seems to be the same as Congaree, a feeder program for the Lexington area schools. The decent Lexington players eventually make their way over to another club, whether that is NECSA or CSC. Just look at the coaching staffs of CSC adn you notice that nearly all are affliated with a high school in the area. Now take a look at clubs in other parts of the state. Only a handful of coaches at CESA coach high school soccer. And really none of the high level coaches there coach high school.

I truly believe that the 2 biggest reasons preventing a merger is kids attitudes toward club and high school and also presence of high school in certain clubs. I know Tripp despises most high school soccer, so why would he consider a merger with a club who is still extremely active in high school soccer? (ie Dick, Christian, Savitz, Frederick, etc. etc.)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 07:26 PM
OK I am DONE w/ you 2004 you can rant and rave forever for all I care.

Do me a favor and the nexttime you are around HS aged kids just ask them. Ask David Simpson ask Kyle Hughes ask Zach Prince ask any body that is worth a salt and they would rather win HS than SCYSA. Come on I'm then on drinking.....well better off thatn your crack pipe

Peace out!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 07:36 PM
One benefiet CESA recieved was going to county council with a single voice to ask for money. Probably won't get what we asked for but will get some. Smaller clubs I dont see it happening.
Striker is right you will need to keep the fields
both clubs have.

High School is'nt better just cheaper, I mean less expensive, than club.
I know of at least one coach who coaches club just to build up his high school program. Not just a Columbia thing.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 07:49 PM
NO NO NO I didn't say BETTER I said that the kids value a HS Championship more than an SCYSA Championship IN COLUMBIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that HS is bettter than club or anyhting like that. I SAID The kids value HS more in the COLA area!!!!!!! Read before you post.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 08:03 PM
Shearer,
I think you are right about high school in Cola. ASk anybody about soccer in Cola. and the first thing mention is Irmo and Savitz. ASk anybody in Greenville and it is CESA.Why is this. Is it because the kids in Cola. have not had any success in club and so naturally hang their hats on the level they have had success, which is high school. Or maybe the high school coaches in Cola. do a better job with their programs.

The flip side of that though is that the only two schools in Cola. to have championsip success has been Irmo and Chapin.What about all the other high school players.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 08:10 PM
I stand corrected. Valued more and Better are 2 differnt things. I did'nt to too good in vocabulary on my SAT's.
Dexter are you talking about boys soccer? If not, how about the championship that Dreher won two years ago in girls soccer? I know in the recent past that AC Flora and B-C played for girls titles. Cardinal Newman is also very good and has won several private school championships.

As for the other boys programs besides Irmo (remember that most of the 4A teams around have to go through the Yellow Jackets for a title), I believe Ridge View and Dutch Fork played for the State Championship in AAAA recently and Spring Valley is always good. True, Chapin won a AA championship, but they've always been good at that level and B-C and Dreher have been in the state title game several times the past 5-6 years in AAA. Lots of good high school teams in the Midlands.

As for club soccer, CESA is (and should be) dominant right now. They have 2,500 kids playing that used to be sectioned up just like it is in the Columbia area. Congratulations! However, if you weren't a member of one of those championship teams, then you're just another player in a big club. Does bigger make better? It surely appears so! But, can someone break down how many of those players came from the following clubs: GFC; SGUSC; UGSA; DSA; and GSSC? That's what would be interesting to see! What players were added to the core of each team because of the consolidation?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 09:48 PM
Cola Fan,
I'm not sure what your points are.
I was referring to boys soccer but the same holds true for girls. The point being some success in high school, very little in club. To the best of my knowledge, Columbia has produced 3 club championship for girls and boys in the past 4 years. Re read the post- I was asking about an earlier post about Cola. caring more about high school than club.

Thanks for enlightening me on second place teams-that was great.

Also thanks for the congratulations- although I have no idea what you are congratulating me on.
Dexter,

Three State Cups have been won by Columbia area clubs in the last 4 years on the girl's side alone. Two for Lexington and one for CSC. That's just the ones that I know about personally.

Not to mention, the CESA U18G had at least two Columbia area girls that were key contributors, the CESA U17G had at least one from the Columbia area, and the CESA U16G had three. Again these are just the ones that I am familiar with. So, club soccer is important to at least some people in the Columbia area!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 10:57 PM
Observations from prior posts and from Mid-State Club's websites:

1. Comparing SCYSA Challenge Cup Fall '03 to Fall '04, did not St Giles and GFC combine to win or be a finalist in six of the eight U15 to U18 age group titles between them in Fall '03 and by merging, they managed to pick up 2 more Premier League births by going 8 for 8 this year? In other words, the merger allowed the 6 former GFC and St Giles teams to maintain their titles in those age groups and it strengthened the GFC and St. Giles teams in the two other ages groups so as to allow them to with those to age groups this year as well. Those teams did not magically attain some recent level of tournament success just because two youth soccer clubs merged. All CESA teams that won this past weekend are quality teams formed from two former quality clubs who have over the past 6 to 8 years put player development and Club development well ahead of high school soccer. And while CESA did go 8 for 8 and "hats off to them" they had at least four golden goal overtime wins on Staurday and Sunday, didn't they?

2. If anyone knows, please tell me how many current CESA Premier Level team coaches are also the head coach high school soccer team in the Upstate. Could this be one of the major reasons why those two Clubs were able to do such a great job in pulling off their merger?

3. Recently, I examined the websites of Congaree, CSC, NECSA and Lexington. What is clearly evident is that:

A. Congaree is indeed a feeder program for Brookland-Cayce High School and a few Dreher players. Just go look at their Board Member composition and look at their rosters. I believe all are shown to be teachers or administrators or boosters from BC. Some may not like that heavy a school affiliation within a club but at least those parents are stepping up to the plate and are volunteering their time for kids. The fact that so many BC kids and a far lesser amount of Dreher kids choose to play for Congaree teams is not surprising since the Club's leading coaches are Kevin and Todd Wilkerson (ex Dreher coach and current St. Joe's Elementary School teacher/admin.) Indeed, even at a young age it seems that Congaree is interested in allowing kids from one school play together in their U9 and U10 Sandlapper League teams. For instatnce, just go take a look at the U9 and U10 rosters on Congaree's website and see how many go to the same schools. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. If that is the philosophy that a youth soccer club wants to go in it is their choice. They are exposing many kids to the game who might not want to otherwise play club if they cannot play with their classmates.

B. CSC is heavily laidened with School District 5 coaches who also happen to have very successful high school programs from within the same District. Inherent within that coaching structure, as it would be in any Club which is so heavily laidened with high school coaches, is a natural fear from parents that Johnny will be favored over Joey because Johnny plays at school x where the club coach coaches. Add to that, the fear that if you are not a student in District 5 and you are thinking about trying out, you go into tryouts with the fear that the Club coach will take a player from one of the other District 5 teams whose coach coaches in the Club over you. Again, no one in their right mind can argue that Irmo, Chapin and Dutch Fork don't have solid high school programs led by incredibly talented coaches. They clearly do. But the question is whether each gifted player and that player's parents in the Columbia area would ever want to be in a Club that is so heavily alligned with high school coaches. Clearly, some do.....those in District 5 and at CSC. Clearly, some don't.....those at CRSA, NECSA and LEXINGTON.

C. As many have elluded to, at NECSA, Tripp and his staff have long taken the position....and gotten both slammed by many and applauded by many....that if you are going to play U13 or U14 in the Spring for a NECSA Classic team, you may not play jv high school soccer. Time constraints on the student, physical demands on the students' bodies and the level of play being engaged in at the jv level are such that in his judgment, it is better for the players' overall well-being to be focused and train and play on just one team - with a Club coach who is not alligned with any particluar high school. Again, that is not a wrong approach either. But because there are so many high school coaches coaching Club in the Midlands area, Tripp always gets blasted for taking a hard line when he tries to keep the better players from picking up bad habits from jv coaches who are not, for the most part, as knowledgable as him and his NECSA Club coaches. Again, not wrong....but not well received by the Midlands High School coaching community in general, and definately not well recieved by the Richland Two and Cardinal Newman coaches either. But at least everyone, including his players, know where Tripp stands on Club player development and commitment.

D. At Lexington, they have a wonderful new facility and excellent leadership at the top of the Club(s) in Rick Cunningham. There appears to have been much divison amongs the girls in the county and the boys in the county at the Classic level. One of their websites says that the Lex Girls Soccer Association and the Lexington Classic Soccer Association are merging...so that will definitely help. But from year to year, their Classic coaching ranks have not been consistantly deep for some reason. Their participation numbers show they are a very successful Club and they have done extremely well in the Recreational and Classic Cup Divisions, but they have not experienced a sustained level of success in any one age group in the Challenge division over the last few years as has CSC and NECSA in certain age groups. That does not mean they aren't successful as a Club. They are just not as successful as of late in Challenge Cup play as the active "posters" to this site seem to always want to focus on every chance they get!

4. And so how does a Club define "Success"?

A. If it is by this year's Challenge Cup Wins and losses, then CESA wins hands down.

B. If it is by having top high school coaches in your Club program, then CSC wins hands down.

C. If it is developing a feeder system for your own high school program and keeping classmates together on teams, Congaree wins hands down.

D. If it consistantly focusing on Club soccer and training your players for Club level play to the exclusion of high school soccer coaches and their influence, NECSA wins hands down.

E. If it is facilities and strong Classic Cup level play, Lexington wins hands down.

5. I congratulate all persons in the Midlands who dedicate their time to offer up soccer opportunities to the youth of our community. Success is measured in different ways by different people with different objectives. If you are helping children learn valuable lessons in life through sports and you are doing it in a positive way, then no one coach or club is a looser. With maturity and responsibility come that realization.

Each parent will, in the end analysis, do what he or she feels is best for his or her child's level of soccer development and corresponding desire to develop.

Each Club will, continue to serve its membership, do what it deems is best for its membership and measure success as it deems fit. If that means one or none or all merge with another I for one say "so be it".

In my opinion, winning is not everything but teaching a child how to work through adversity with the goal of winning is....and that makes the win and the lessons learned through the beautiful game that much more valuable!

And thus ends our reading from the third chapter of the book of EuroFan!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Yours in Soccer,

EuroFan [Wink]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 11:02 PM
Ahhhh, Deahler, I wished I had read your post before posting my last! You remind me that Lexington Girls did take Challenge Cup titles in recent years which makes my point even stronger that Lexington has done great things on the Challenge level as well as the Classic Level. I can't believe I forgot that one! Take care.
EuroFan [Wink]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/16/04 11:32 PM
Sorry deahler. Once again my sexist bigotry is exposed.
quote:
Originally posted by EuroFan:
In my opinion, winning is not everything but teaching a child how to work through adversity with the goal of winning is....and that makes the win and the lessons learned through the beautiful game that much more valuable!

That was definitely worth the read! I applaud you for your research and output. You and "Mark Campbell" must "work" at the same place!

I have a daughter with a chronic illness, and my wife and I always tell her that when it is said and done all you will have is your character. Your character will be created, molded and refined by what you overcome - not what you achieve (or don't achieve).

Now, if I could just practice what I preach. Winning sure is a lot of fun!!!!!!!
Whether CESA is turning out a superior product to that produced by GFC and St. Giles separately will only, I think, be determined this summer at Regionals. In the meantime I congratulate them on a clean sweep last weekend. 8 out of 8 is, well, 8 out of 8. Lots of red from where I was standing...

lpaf
Euro Fan: I'm sure you know this, but just to be clear -- with the merger (I think it was last spring) of Lexington's non-recreational soccer clubs there are now three Lexington soccer clubs: LCGSA (girls-only recreation), LRSC (girls and boys recreation) and LCSC (boys and girls competitive).

All three clubs should be commended on getting together to host the SCYSA recreational, classic, and challenge tournaments. I know it meant a lot to many businesses in the area from the comments I got.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/17/04 01:44 PM
Success is usually measured by meeting whatever mission statement you have set for yourself.

So, Lexington's mission is to have great facilities while CSC's is populating the high schools with coaches?
Dex,
I wish Lex. mission was to strive for above average soccer to be played on those facilities. I dont know how that CSC mission comment has any validity to the discussion, but it is definitely not correct. CSC mission is to win state and regional championships and not populate high schools with coaches. You must have had some of Shearer's brown ale egg nog! The CSC coaches come from the Irmo/Chapin/Dutch Fork areas because thats sorta where they live and breathe. But the coaches defintely don't pick all their own players-for instance the U17 premier boys team this past year was composed of players from the following schools - Chapin (1), Irmo(4), Dutch Fork(1), Mid-Carolina(1), Brookland-Cayce(2), AC Flora(2),South Aiken (1), Wilson Hall(1), Dreher(2). Last season they had a player from Myrtle Beach.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/17/04 02:17 PM
Why is everyone attempting to over-analyze the merger and results of CESA? Undoubtedly a rhetorical quesiton, but the point is, whether the purpose of this type of analysis were to evaluate one's own personal situation or perhaps if a respective club were trying to determine where they stand, don't you think there is certainly a more appropriate place for this to be discussed and a better "cast" with which it is being discussed? Right. Therefore, in my mind, most of the posters who are "thinking out loud" regarding this topic seem to be either trying to minimize the successes achieved by CESA, rationlize the decisions made by CESA, disregard the idea of playing for a club such as CESA, justify the purpose/mission of other clubs or to design a master plan for all other clubs to follow.

Although I am not affiliated with CESA in any way, if I were to pursue a relationship with them for whatever reason, the decision to do so (or not to do so)wouldn't be hashed out on this message board. Furthermore, I really don't think Eddie (well, maybe Eddie), Tripp, Rick, Clark, etc. are taking notes from this thread either.

One last point, I think one of the posters made light of the feat achieved by CESA this fall referencing the results from St. Giles and GFC from last year. I would caution anyone who believes that previous successes equate to future successes. As a coach, it always bothers me for parents (who make up the majority of the posters on this board)to try and align their coaching ability and knowledge of the game to that of a coach. A majority of the coaches at CESA are professional trainers/coaches and are clearly above any tactical or technical concept that most parents could even conceive, much less teach.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/17/04 02:41 PM
I am not above having the brown ale, but I happen to be fairly lucid right now. I was being facetious. I agree with you- I was referencing Euro fan. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/17/04 02:42 PM
BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Dex come on by for another brownee eggnog????

"I Wish" there it is.
Well.......coach,
I don't think there is an over-analysis of the CESA merger. It is just fun to talk about and what the possibilities may be in the midlands. This is called a soccer forum for the purpose to share, discuss, rant, listen, observe thoughts and ideas about high school and club soccer. Nothing much is ever accomplished here except the sharing of ideas and some fun at times. If the DOCs dont read this dribble then its OK. They won't consider a merger until CESA has swept all state championships again for the 9th or 10th year in a
row.
Ok Dex,
I have never been the sharpest knife in the drawer! I miscombopulated your comments. Sorry.
[Preface: “coach”, please understand that everything posted here is meant to be respectful and intended to solicit more precise information concerning not just what you find erroneous and/or distasteful, but what you proffer should be done instead.]

>> [coach] Why is everyone attempting to over-analyze the merger and results of CESA? Undoubtedly a rhetorical quesiton, but the point is, whether the purpose of this type of analysis were to evaluate one's own personal situation or perhaps if a respective club were trying to determine where they stand, don't you think there is certainly a more appropriate place for this to be discussed and a better "cast" with which it is being discussed? Right.<<

No, I can’t think of a more appropriate place, at least not at a first-level of analysis. However, obviously you do think that there are more appropriate places. Could you precisely outline just what those places and methods are? Many of the people on this thread are discussing inter-club issues and issues that they see as relevant to meeting the needs and desires expressed by their children; just what environment do you see as superior for that discussion?

>> Therefore, in my mind, most of the posters who are "thinking out loud" regarding this topic seem to be either trying to minimize the successes achieved by CESA, rationlize the decisions made by CESA, disregard the idea of playing for a club such as CESA, justify the purpose/mission of other clubs or to design a master plan for all other clubs to follow.<<

I probably agree with you here; I find some of the messages to be outlandish. However, I learn from many of them. This no doubt implies that I am ignorant, to which I would not argue.

It’s clear you find the topics rather distasteful [which of course begs the question as to why you’re wasting your time reading them; but that is clearly rhetorical] and do not believe that a great deal of thought goes into most postings. I understand your message.

I’ll be clear regarding why I post to this message board, and why I find doing so to have continuing value. Slightly less than two years ago I began trying to understand the soccer environment in the midstate. I found that I could meet and talk to parents, coaches, board members, and the like all day long and not ever get enough information to make viable decisions concerning what my child was asking. Each one had their agenda [as they no doubt should] – and there wasn’t enough time in the day to physically meet with each so that I could weigh those agendas against each other.

By spending a few weeks on this message board asking questions and posing opinions that others could refute, I was able to greatly accelerate my learning of what was really going on in terms of soccer in the state. Was there glib misinformation given? Of course, but each and every time someone tried to sell a bill of goods someone else refuted it – and it’s pretty clear when reading the posts who has a well-considered, thoughtful opinion and who is out there pursuing grudges and the like. This, and a truly wonderful coach who stood up against personal and club interests and who guided my child and her parents, were the key factors enabling us to help me help her make a decision.

Roughly a year ago my child made a decision to switch soccer clubs [it was the first and so far only time]. So now that this decision has been made to I continue to participate on this board? There are two reasons. First, I still learn reading this message board. That may mark me as completely ignorant and beneath your level of understanding; however, I at least have a feeble ambition to learn more. Secondly, I still find the obfuscation with respect to soccer clubs to be amazing and would like to ease any other parent’s way through this if possible.

>>Although I am not affiliated with CESA in any way, if I were to pursue a relationship with them for whatever reason, the decision to do so (or not to do so)wouldn't be hashed out on this message board.<<

Far be it from me to critique your analytical method, but it might be interesting to those of us less knowledgeable to understand what would be your precise method for making decisions in this situation.

>>Furthermore, I really don't think Eddie (well, maybe Eddie), Tripp, Rick, Clark, etc. are taking notes from this thread either.<<

I can tell you that when I began pursuing this that I was amazed at the readership and the level of attention to these discussions. I receive several e-mail’s and telephone calls each week concerning this stuff – and it’s difficult to watch my daughter play soccer with all of the conversations on sidelines with people who want to talk about it. And I can promise you it’s not just parents; but other volunteers, coaches, and at times even players.

>>One last point, I think one of the posters made light of the feat achieved by CESA this fall referencing the results from St. Giles and GFC from last year. I would caution anyone who believes that previous successes equate to future successes. As a coach, it always bothers me for parents (who make up the majority of the posters on this board)to try and align their coaching ability and knowledge of the game to that of a coach.<<

I must be confused. I went back and read the messages posted to date on this and related threads, and I haven’t seen anything posted in which parents are trying to state technical or tactical advice to coaches [or players] regarding soccer. In fact, I’ve found this and surrounding threads refreshingly clear of the backbiting and name calling with regard to on-the-field strategy and tactics that are unfortunately still too much a part of debate concerning athletics.

What I do see is a debate concerning, for want of a better word, club strategy and the best thing to do in terms of club strategy for soccer players in the midstate area. Certainly it’s arguable whether a merger of two or more clubs would provide better services or whether everyone would be better off going to club X or whether everything is fine and dandy the way it is now.

>>A majority of the coaches at CESA are professional trainers/coaches and are clearly above any tactical or technical concept that most parents could even conceive, much less teach.<<

I agree with your assessment that professional coaches are by their nature professional, and thus are expected to have more knowledge concerning soccer than parents. I probably disagree that most parents lack the ability to “conceive” tactical or technical concepts in soccer; but I do believe that almost all soccer coaches know much more about soccer than almost all soccer parents.

However, I think if you take a look back at the basis of discussion, you’ll find that a debate regarding soccer tactics and techniques is not the intent. Instead, you have a group comprised mostly of parents trying to understand how thirteen and a half soccer clubs can all say that they’re the best soccer club in South Carolina, and all say that they provide the best service regardless of the player, can all be right. This isn’t meant to disrespect these clubs or the people in these clubs; simply to try to articulate the challenge that many parents face in finding a club that meets the unique needs of their child and their family.

LPAF said something in an earlier message about a “superior product”. I don’t think that way. I don’t think of clubs as producing product. I think of clubs as providing services. Now, does this mean winning isn’t important? No, because particularly at higher levels of soccer the more you win the more services you can provide. But the focus has to be providing services to individual players first, and everything else second.

There is an honest desire by some players and parents in the midlands for there to be one or more clubs that provide higher level services to players [e.g., regional and national competition]. This doesn’t mean that the parents are stupid or don’t understand soccer; it simply means that there are people who don’t want to travel an hour and a half for soccer and want it provided closer to home. Are they the minority? No doubt. What should they do? At some point agitation for change against entities that aren’t changing [or aren’t changing fast enough] has to be met with acceptance – either play where you are or go to where the services are you desire. I think that time is now; but that’s just my ignorant, non-soccer-coaching opinion.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/17/04 04:10 PM
Mark Campbell, the intent of my post was to try and defend the sometimes complicated, advanced decision-making that, in my mind, club personnel are qualified to deal with. I used CESA as the example, because it seems that they are the most popular club right now to analyze/discuss. While it may be fun for posters to discuss this, at times the intentions and comments have strayed towards a more critical tongue. I like to read the message board really for two reasons. First, I want to try and monitor the threads to make sure that my players are not offending any other player/program. Secondly, the board can be informative. At times, I do read these threads and find some very interesting discussions.

I also tried to state my opinion, which I thought was fair game, that if I were to make a decision, it would be done outside of a forum. The only people necessary for that type of decision are the ones who sincerely care for that player. As far as obtaining important info. from other people on the board, that is obviously a benefit from the board, but was different (hopefully) from my point. Furthermore, the "places" were reference to the club personnel discussing their situations in the company of their board/coaching staff and not a public forum, where best interests vary.
Coach: I understand; thank you -- a very different perspetive from the one I was taking and obviously very valid -- I apologize for the misunderstanding -- thank you for posting these.
There's probably not a soccer dad out there who feels more strongly than I do that the individual player's growth/development is and should be the ultimate goal of every club regardless of its size or level. Many aspects of this growth are measurable (ask Anson Dorance), but many are not: strength of character, perseverance, self reliance, self confidence... To the extent that a club trains an individual in the art of soccer the clubs are part of a service industry -- a lot like a college or university. The inclusion of the work "academy" in CESA's name manifests their recognition of this.

But in addiition to training individuals, clubs also form teams, and teams, to me, seem to me to be a product at least as much as they are the recipient of services. They consist of carefully chosen parts (players) with certain abilities that give them a particular style. Like a car or a wheelbarrow you can measure things about them -- goals scored, goals given up, percent of passes on target, wins, losses. Like many products teams have parts that can be interchanged, and they have an expected lifespan.

The second letter in CESA's name suggests that the club has an emphasis on upper level soccer, and as an elite organization it is not unreasonable to look at the performance of its premiere teams as a surrogate marker of the quality and efficacy of its methods. 8 of 8 victories at State Cup is very impressive. If one or more of these teams can win the southeastern region this summer then the model set by the GFC-St.Giles merger will have proven itself on a regional basis.

lpaf
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/17/04 09:18 PM
Lap, I agree with you for the most part. But, in my opinion, the humanity aspect of the parts (players) is what separates the players from parts and therefore service as opposed to product. I also agree that CESA is in a different league in that their mission is to provide a comprehensive program, while focusing on effectively meeting the needs and desires of all levels of player development. Sure, there will be some hiccups along the way. But, comparatively speaking, they offer the best opportunities (my opinion - for what it is worth). What I do disagree about though is that many people are waiting until regionals to make a final analysis/assessment regarding their success. I believe that if you do that, then, again, you create a very narrow-minded view of measuring success. The nature of athletics/competition ultimately leads to only one "winner." While there may only be 1 champion with 18 players on the roster, there are far more players than that who receive the benefits of a club such as CESA. As you stated above, there are many intangibles that are difficult to measure with regards to a player. There are also many successes that are not exposed on the teams who may not win the championship. Many, many players will receive scholarships, opportunities to play college soccer, invites to national team training camps, etc. as well as the other important things such as qualities of being successful citizens.
When will the CESA Lovefest end??
Coach --

I am not sure that you and I have anything to disagree about here. I don't know anything about the rec organization of CESA but can only presume that care is given to develop the younger or average players. The thrust of this thread has been what the midlands might do to stay competitive with CESA and it was prompted by last week's strong showing of the CESA teams at state cup. My earlier brief post about regionals is just a way of saying that if CESA has truly moved up a level in the play of its most elite teams (as suggested by an 8 for 8 state cup run) we should see a reflection of this in how well they play against the major metropolitan clubs of Atlanta and Dallas. I would never narrowly judge CESA's overall success as a megaclub based on their regional success anymore than I would be critical of a MPSC, CUSC or CSC's overall program based on their failure to win a single match this year at state cup. There is an element of self-fulfilling prophesy at work here but that's another story.

In the end, the character building experience of soccer is what I think matters most. Many, many widely different club structures provide this.

Good talking to you, Coach. Have a great weekend.

lpaf
OK, lpaf has spoken and blessed this thread with his wisdom, and the Lovefest can now officially end. Let us get back to the original topic of this thread - merger in the midlands.
i kinda skipped alot of this and then posted in the other topic. But what I said was that my cousin played in North Carolina for a local team for state play then merged with some other teams for nationals. Would it be possible for these clubs to merge simply their best players rather than joining all together? If so would they even consider playing with each other?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/20/04 04:33 PM
striker - surely CSC is at least talking to some of the other clubs after what happened at the Challenge Cup?
Even if they can't say so publicly.
The **** merger annoucement did'nt happen until they had been talking privately for a while.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/21/04 03:09 AM
I personally think it's too late for the Coumbia area to play catch up with the older age groups. The word is out that CESA is the place to be. However, it would be wise for the younger age groups to start consolidating and build something that can compete and win in a few years.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/21/04 03:33 AM
To all the Mid-State & Coatal Regions.I have been reading through all the messages on this topic and I can understand that you are frustrated.I think also,for Districts to be more competetive a merger must happen within Clubs around.It will be sooner then later in my Opinion.For what its worth,CESA has 2000+ players who are fielding 3 sometimes 4 teams in each age Bracket to compete in Classic/Challenge League play.Look at the Final Results of State Cup Play.There was not 1 blow out.2 games went into O.T I think that's Brilliant! CESA had at least 80+ players trying out for every age group.In the younger ages they had 100+ easily at try-outs so definatly numbers count.Last Year ST Giles/GFC won 8/9 Champs in u15-u18.This year,Congrats to them,they won all 8,by combining those teams together.Should they have won? SURE!! It doesn't matter if CESA was formed in 6 months or 6 weeks..with the quality of players the Coaches had to work with,it just a matter of time for them to get them together as a team and play a system the players can all relate too.So,this I can't believe we won 8 State Titles so soon B.S. is just that..B.S
Hopefully,Coaches are talking about merging to be more competitive in the future for all S.C Soccer.
>> [man city fc supporter] Last Year ST Giles/GFC won 8/9 Champs in u15-u18<<

[2003, U15-U18] SGU or GFC teams were state champions 5 times [of 8 possible] or 62.5% of the time. SGU or GFC were finalists in 9 [of 16 possible] or 56% of the time.
A modest theory. Perhaps reasons for merging, or not merging, any club or clubs have less to do with who won what when, and more to do with the services that these clubs provide all of its members [example only: how many training sessions have been and are being offered by clubs in the Columbia area since the state challenge cup -- and how many are being offered by clubs in other SC areas?]
THATS IT!!!!!!!!!
I can't take any more of this Lovefest with CESA!!!
I will now unleash the Red Neck League on CESA and destroy it!!!!!!
NO MORE CESA!!
2004striker: I actually was trying hard ***NOT*** to say nice things about **** but instead do as you requested and bring the discussion back to the thread topic. The first post was simply a factual response to an earlier post; the second post is a theory that may or may not be valid.

A modest question: if Columbia-area parents of highly ambitious players who want to play on more competitive teams but don't want the player to commute more than a few miles, then why don't those parents get together and ask an existing club to provide the services they want? And precisely what are those services that they do want?
Solution to all this "talk." Ya'll come on down to MPSC. This is a numbers thing. You have to have the talent available to put together a kick-butt team(s) that can compete with the best in the nation. We have been to Regionals and I can tell you, we need more talent than is available in just the Lowcountry, at least at the 1989 level. Sure, a team may be pretty good in the state, such as ****89 Premier but how do they compete in the Premier league. Not too good. This is not meant to talk poorly of them but it is the truth. If you really want to compete on the national level - it will take combining ALL clubs in SC or putting together the best on one team.
I have seen all the talent from each of the three areas of SC in the Challenge league and on ****89. No one team or area in SC can compete at the national level. If anyone thinks they can, you are only fooling yourself.
If the goal is to compete at that level, it is going to take more than combining Chas area or COLA area clubs. Just the truth!
Soccerdog6: Have you folks decided whether you're going to compete in Premier League next season -- or will you compete in the Challenge League and focus on tournaments again?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/21/04 09:25 PM
soccerdog6 - are you talking about the cesa 89 premier girls? they improved in the premier league this year as compared to last year. if you look at their games, they were very competitive with some teams ( from georgia/ nc ), going 0-0 or losing by 1 goal. i think you have to remind yourself that the cesa team is a new team, and the teams they played against have been together longer.... do you expect rome to be built in a day? [Smile]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/21/04 09:40 PM
soccerdog6- First of all, SC has competed at the regional/national level with a few teams in the past. 4 or 5 yrs ago the GFC Black girls won regionals and advanced to nationals. I think they didn't win a game at nationals but were competitive (one goal loss) in each game. I think most of the girls on that team were from the upstate. A GFC boys team won Sun bowl at least once (maybe twice) which is a great accomplishment. This team had primarily upstate players, but had several from midstate as well. I am much more familiar with the Aiken Fire team 3-4 yrs ago that was national runner-up (1-0 loss in champ game) after winning regionals. That same team won Va Beach, runner-up at CASL shootout, won group at Sunbowl ,lost qtrs to Albertson, NY (who won region 1 at U16 and U17, so a pretty good team) The U15 national runner-up team was comprised of kids from Aiken and Augusta GA (15 miles away), with one kid from Irmo. The following year they were regional runner-up (losing 1-0 in finals) after finishing third in R3Pl. The U16 team had kids from Atlanta (1), Augusta(6) and one from Columbia and the rest Aiken. At U17, the team finished 2nd in R3PL at 7-1-1 with kids from Atlanta (2), Athens (1), Augusta (4), Lexington (1), Charleston (1) and the rest Aiken. At U18 this year the team struggled for players with 2 off to college, 3 opting not to play due to HS football, 2 ACL tears, 2 moving to other teams. At times they had only 10 players at R3Pl games, struggled all season and lost to CSC 2-0 in semis at state cup. Only 3 boys from the U15 national runner-up team played in that last game. Having that as a background the team trained TOGETHER two nights a week at U15. At u16 and U17 training was twice a week, but one was on Friday night to accomodate the "out of town" kids. The other midweek practice had only the local kids (13-15 players depending on the year). Not as easy to train with only one session per week. At U18 they trained twice a week, but with injuries, HS football players (2) and out of towners, 9 players at practice was the high for the year. Having a state-wide team may sound great, but it is a real committment and challenge for the players, parents and coach to make it successful. If the CESA teams (or any team) get too high of a % of kids from outside the area, quality team practice may be jeopardized and successful results at the regional/national level harder to find.
I couldn't agree more!! I just put forth the only viable plan to CONSISTENTLY compete at the regional and national level. Of course it will not happen. Even teams in the past that have drawn from other parts of the state (NECSA, SURF) could not really compete at that level.
As previously stated, it is a matter of numbers. When Sterling Elite and Chicago FC have literally hundreds of girls trying out for a team, and willing to pay in the neighborhood of $10,000 per year for club and coaching fees, little SC cannot compete with the talent. Of course the occasional team will come along and win at regionals but not consistently. The old CGSA Fusion competed very well at regionals in the past but we seem to be looking for a club to consistently compete.
MPSC has at least three girls coming from Hilton Head to practice and play. This is over two hours each way. TOUGH!! My son drove 1-1/2 hours to practice two to three times per week. Thank God he is now in college!
The point I am trying to make is SC does not have the numbers, even with regional clubs, to compete with the big dogs. I have been honored to watch my daughter compete with these folks at WAGS and Southern Regionals. Please believe me, we have a long row to hoe. It can be done but how many girls are committed to practicing FIVE nights a week and traveling every weekend to either play games or attend tournaments.
It may be best for our clubs and teams to simply play within themselves with available talent.

SM1121 - don't take it personally! There is no reason to defend your beliefs, I give you guys all the credit in the world.

Mark - we have not had a formal meeting to discuss it but I believe we will be playing Premier. Hopefully we will be able to bring in a couple of players to help us out.
Ya'll have a great holiday. I'm off for 12 days!
[Preface: Soccerdog6, hope you have a great holiday. Several points you raised deserve a general response. 2004striker: You don't want to read this; I'm going to be complimentary to CESA; sorry.]

>> [Soccerdog6] It can be done but how many girls are committed to practicing FIVE nights a week and traveling every weekend to either play games or attend tournaments.<<

In SC, from what I've seen, probably no more than 20-25 per age group -- and that may be high. A relatively small number. That number seems concentrated in the upstate where more kids practice more time and more parents support more travel/tournaments/etc. than anywhere else in SC.

>>It may be best for our clubs and teams to simply play within themselves with available talent.<<

This is an important point. For most kids playing soccer, the current local clubs are fine. The problem is a relatively small number of parents trying to get their soccer-serious [some say soccer-obsessed] kids the training, with other serious kids [and parents willing to support them], that they want.

1-2 years ago I cared a lot if midlands soccer clubs merged. I don't any longer. A merger isn't going to help the highly ambitious kids ages 14+; many of the best in the midlands area are commuting to Greenville [and Charlotte, and I'm sure other places]. I don't see a merger reversing this; I see it accelerating. And that's probably good; the truth is that SC can probably only support a single group of really serious kids at a given age group if there are ambitions of regional or national competitiveness.

A year ago I cared a lot of lowcountry soccer clubs merged. I don't any longer. The CUSC Fusion are great; but beyond that the landscape seems almost as fractured as Columbia with questionable commitment [I ***do not*** know this first hand -- MPSC has done some wonderful things in their younger age groups -- I'm simply noting what parents have said on this board]. Soccerdog6: you may not have been trying to insult the CESA 89 Premier team by citing their deficiencies in premier league play, but as soccermom1121 noted, there are some seriously mitigating circumstances involving the fact that they've existed for a single season [note: my daughter doesn't play on this team, so this isn't personal]. But MPSC in this age group didn't even try -- as you noted this summer, it was too expensive and would impact social lives too much. No problem at all with that -- but in response to "...ya'll come down to MPSC..." why in the world would a serious player travel 2-3 times a week 90 miles to join a group you described in that manner?

In the last week and a half since the state challenge tournament, my daughter's biggest issue has been which of the conflicting three training sessions per night she'll attend for various teams/groups of players [note: this isn't a joke -- she's mad that there isn't more coordination among the different teams so she can attend more than one practice -- a problem that I hope will be addressed in coming seasons]. There are a lot of very serious folks at CESA.
MC - I described my daughter's team in that manner, as I stated then, that we as a team believed them to be too young to be playing Premier. That is the reason we "didn't even try." They were simply not realistically ready for it. I also stated that there is a lot more to life than soccer at that age. Thus, we chose the tournament route.
If you think my statement on CESA 89P could have even been close to "insulting" then you are reading something that I don't. Simple as that.
I am not about to get into an e-mail argument over this subject. If you wish to play "political analyst" and read more into a comment than was acually there or put a spin on it, that is your right. Really, it does not matter.
I am personally done with this subject as I have made my point. I think it is great that there are others out there that disagree with it. Hopefully, a few agree.
Soccerdog6: I apologize if I misunderstood what you said in any posting you made. I'll try one more time as well to increase the clarity of the discussion. Again, I'm not trying to "argue" or be a "political analyst" -- I'm sorry if I came across that way earlier -- I'm simply trying to shine a bright light on something that might be a bit dark. Here are portions of two posts you made regarding Premier League play and your team.

quote:

[9/2/2004] Playing in the Premier League, to us, is no special thing, at least this year. Instead, we are focusing on playing in the G'boro, CASL and WAGS tournaments. We found at Regionals that we are not that far behind the best of the rest. It was a learning experience that is being used to currently improve our team.

quote:

[9/6/2004] It was about expense, primarily and travel. As it is now, traveling to five tournaments is a very expensive proposition. In the premier league this would have them traveling basically every weekend with at least one night stay-over. I mean, this is not a pro or college team and they are still young with budding social lives and homework. If we pull off the state cup this Fall, we may very well go into the PL and cut back on the tournaments somewhat.

My point was only that if you want parents to travel 90+ miles several times a week to come to MPSC and play, the level of "seriousness" may need to go up a notch. I'm speaking only of myself here -- someone who had a kid who considered MPSC at one point and thinks a lot of many of the kids and teams there. Heck, I got on this summer and spoke about the impressive things MPSC did in the girls challenge cup this spring.

To your point, "The point I am trying to make is SC does not have the numbers, even with regional clubs, to compete with the big dogs." I understand that this could be a new belief based on events since the September postings. You could absolutely be right. Clubs from larger metropolitan areas certainly dominate the Soccer America Top #20. However, CASL, Edmond (the 2004 U15 national runner-ups), and other clubs from relatively small [sub-1M population MSA's] metropolitan areas may disagree. I just haven't spoken to many from the upstate who are willing to simply give up and concede superiority, particularly in the future, at this point.

P.S. If this is an inappropriate venue for this discussion, I apologize -- I tried private messaging but it wasn't enabled.
ARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

The topic is about merger in Cola. area, which turns into a CESA Lovefest, and now we have dueling barbs hurled by CESA and MPSC proponents against each other????
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/22/04 11:50 PM
Mark,
The point of available training sessions right now is a bit misleading isn't it?
Only reason to train right now is for those state champ teams who might need to get to keep their touch for Regonals.
MPSC teams playing in Christmas tournaments are stll practicing.
Kids that are best at rec should have good rec teams to play on. Kids that are challenge classic should have good challenge coaches and good challenge leagues to compete in. Extraordinary kids that want the most out of what they can bring out in themselves need extraordinary clubs, coaches and training schedules. Great redneck players need Camels rolled up in the sleeve of their underarmour and two fisted tobacco chewing/cussing country coaches to inspire them to their redneck best. A perfect club structure will bring all of these things to all of these kids and more.

lpaf

Shaker wisdom. " 'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free. 'Tis a gift to come down where you ought to be. "
Just as a little heads up, I live in the north now, specifically Wisconsin, and I have actually been a ref for some Chicago FC teams, and I was not overly impressed. They were good, but did not live up to what I thought they were going to be by the way that everyone talks them up. I wouldn't say that they are that much better than most of the premier SC teams, if they are even better at all. Their coaches are generally rude, and don't have a lot of respect for the refs or other coaches. I had a coach argue with me about a call, and when I told him the discussion was finished, tell me that I didn't know who he was, and how influentual he could be. How much more arrogant can you be? I would much rather ref or play against any team in SC than those teams.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/23/04 09:32 PM
FEAR - What drives some people and deprives other people..... You can say that of people reading threads (never posting just reading due to the unleashing that can take place) and of parents chasing the merger of tomorrow (don't wont to be left behind). This is my first "POST"! I have been reading for about two(2) years! This is meant for discussion and not attacks! It will be direct and only my opinion - not gospel!!! The last few weeks has encouraged me to voice a few thoughts today! I have been trying to get a sense of this "grass is greener on the other side" thing. The direction the last few post(s) are going has lead me to the following: Many people in CESA and many outside of CESA are "OD'ing" on pure CESA propaganda! Propaganda is meant to methodically promote a cause (CESA) and/or disrupt/injury another (other SCYSA Clubs). 1) CESA is understaffed and over worked. Additional players were brought in from out of area to support a few teams. Other than that - Challenge teams were merged Classic teams removed or kept together and recreation teams forced to play in house. Trainers over teamed and having to pick and being told which team to train. 2) Trainers, NOT coaches, - have too many teams and can not focus on growing/training all of their assigned children! Many can not complete pre-season evaluations will not do post-season evaluations for many players. The "committed to no more than three(3) teams and will equally train" idea did not work as planned. A great deal of scrimmaging between teams and some teams not even having a trainer to show up during the week. 3) CESA pulling ALL U14 and below recreational players out of Greenville County Recreation League(GCRD) and forcing them to play in-house. The in-house league has a four(4) goal scoring rule for all teams. So a team can not beat another by more than four goals. CESA ended up, reluctantly, placing the U16 and U18 teams in GCRD after they did not have enough in their in-house league. How many recreation titles did CESA take home? How many articles and accolades were written and posted about the recreation side? 4) Trainers training higher level teams and volunteer coaches helping lower level teams. 5) CESA proposing to give their MeSA Soccer Complex to GCRD for them to take over (either in a lease or sale w/Greenville residents flipping the bill by using tax payer money to finance - (This deal is still in the works) - also looking at using Accommodation Tax for purchase). This is all being done in late political arm twisting before a County Council member lost her seat. 6)CESA focus on "elite" players pooled together to win a trophy and enhance a resume'. 7) Recruiting out of area players i.e. all over SC,NC,GA & TN just to chase the elusive win. Some just showing up for games. Where is the"I" in Team? 8) Focus on Regional and National play that is pushed by staffed employees. 9) Trainers in a resume' feeding frenzy of who gets to train what team and who gets to travel with what team. 10) CESA focus on elite players. 11)Discarding potential good players due to the commitment of time to develop them into future players (this is done by cutting or not providing a team and looking outside of local area for players).

I could go on and on and so could many others. CESA is a business not a youth soccer club. People need to stop trying to cloak them in youth development, but in elite player development! CESA is not about merging youth soccer players! CESA is about merging the "ELITE" player and parent w/desire and wallet to play at the National level. Those players and parents need a place. Many talk of the merger as if it is best for ALL players. Many talk of how youth players love to look up to players in their club who are treated better with trainers, better quality uniforms, warm ups, bags, travel, money, attention, publicity and vaunt. CESA is a merger of people to financially support and fund the showcasing of few! The roster of three to five players will not work. Mega clubs need other youth players/parents to buy into the team idea in order to pool the money to finance the few. I do not just mean the player either - I am talking of the trainer ego. Resume building! Just review the web site and article published! Just review the past post that got this thread started. It is about "PLAYER" & "TRAINER" not team and community development, team/club loyalty, friendships, work ethic, teamwork and sticking with a team when times are tough or players are injured. It's about what team can I try out for next season and wonder who the trainer will be. It's about the quick fix to my childs potential soccer career. It is NBA, NFL MLS! Call it what it is! A business! But do not, call it a youth soccer club. Even CESA, Carolina Elite Soccer Academy, does not profess that concept! Their name dictates their focus and drive for elite development!

Regional and National soccer exposure is a grand goal to have. CESA has this goal! CESA is Elite! It is in their name! They should not be ashamed of their goal or drive for the elite! They should be ashamed of letting people think they are very interested in the development and training of all youth soccer players at every level of play. But - I do not think they have ever said they want to be all to all. I think it has been other parents drunk off the water believing those tales. South Carolina will only obtain Nat'l & Regional recognition through the merging of "ONE STATE CLUB"! Yes! I said it! This club will be the merger of elite players training together off to themselves with the elite trainers! Keep in mind their world is different! Both player,trainer and parent thinks differently! They need their own facilities away from the common soccer player! At that time, those players will compete against the other elite players(the pecking order will still exist)! In time past - SCYSA and parents called this ODP! Parents, Players & trainers are now calling this CESA! CESA can have satellite training facilities in Columbia & on the Coast! The merger will provide the facilities to train these players and boundaries and colors are no longer a factor! The members have been programmed and adapted to Team A and Team B. Problem: It takes money, power, control and some stupidity on members to buy into this takeover.

One might ask - how do we do this! Do tell! The money comes from the dumb down recreation league, player and parent who's programs are nothing. These programs must fall in order for the club to go in house. The club must go in house to make more money. Yes! It is sold off the concept of better training and game focus. We can then control the entire player pool. We all remember how we got lured to the trough of soccer propaganda! Has it been that long for us! I remember as I played and drank from it. I go back to mid 1970 when I started! It was still pure! The last 10 years has brought the big money into the program! The machine is at work and the parent does the following: My son or daughter is 11 or 12 and "only" has a few more years to play! If I do not get them (Individual) onto that team(full of individuals) to be showcased I am doomed. The level of play is so low and bad. I need to step up and reach deeper in my pocket to provide for them. The seed has been planted that the level of play is bad and your child is wasting their time. Keep in mind the adults are typically saying this not the child(keep in mind a few children might see & say the above). Then the coveted day arrives when you look up from your chair on the sideline and the trainer and crystal ball come walking in your direction. You perk up and start to look to your side. Is it me they are walking toward? Yes! It appears so. You tell your self "I have been waiting on this day"! I - I mean we are in the inner circle! You can not wait to tell your child and coworkers what has happened! You now get to practice over there - over with the elite! The roster must grow to collect great fees! After a while, the parent and player realize they are still not in the inner circle(there are higher levels of play) - they must work harder and pay more to provide. They just are not satisfied - they are not "IN". Then the next call comes and the invitation extended, but it does have a cost! Time, money, commitment, travel, leaving the family & siblings, stay away from home, leaving other sports behind, and school work and friends will find a place! Another roster is filled in the elite circle of contestants. The people below have been called up and the positions are filled. The roster is smaller this time.. You are told the level of play is so high many just do not make it! Your proud, but later find you still are not "IN".......... By now many of you are asking where the heck is the circle and who are these people and players. Some used to call it tournament/travel teams! Some used to call it ODP! Some used to call it Classic Soccer! Some call it Challenge Soccer! Some call it Premier League! OH! Is it Super Y? It must be the National or Regional team! Is it CESA?

As long as parents are willing to finance a dream and the trainer/club can sleep at night, the elite circle will be the Golden Carrot of Soccer Life! It is OK to have a goal for your child. It is better to support your child(s) goal(s). Do not force mergers down the throat of 90% to 95% of the soccer population. That majority enjoys South Carolina soccer with the occasional travel tournament in or out of state. Leave the Club concept alone. The pride of a local club with local players winning and competing against the giants is great. Let the majority play competitive soccer and compete against other clubs. Last time I checked with the children, they still enjoyed club rivalries. They enjoy playing teams with different uniforms! They enjoy playing for their high school! They like knowing who is on their team. These players are growing tired of adults telling them what level of play is bad and a waste of time. They are starting to figure out it is about the pay check or the ego! They are cluing in to the fact it is not about the player. A club can always find a player to replace another player.

CESA is running a business for the elite. Let CESA continue and all will continue to be a feud with the elite! CESA is just a piece of the puzzle. A BIG STATE run merger is the ONLY way many think SC can compete Nationally and Regionally. Tomorrow will bring a new look, a new name, a higher fee, a new trainer and a larger geographic player pool. The days of players guest on out of state teams are coming to a close. Many parents are sacrificing the child to join the out of state team and show up for games. Premier teams have players from all over on the roster and some still have guest positions available to win certain tournaments. Man the water is cloudy!

Sad part of the above: Conforming and giving up to the 5% of TRUE elite player pool is destroying the development and joy youth soccer brings to children. Children have enough labels at school and in life. Do not make them feel inferior to play soccer below the elite level. Has it ever occurred to the elitist that the commoner does not have to look up to them as Gods, but as fools! Just read the condescending elitist talk in the quotes from the paper and on the wed site. Sooner or later these clubs will be held accountable or sued for non performance. Families are sacrificing big money (thousands) and family relationships to get that final call from the University. CESA's two prong approach to state monopoly is working: 1) Take any elite player willing to travel and pay and CESA will eventually win. 2) Need tournament money and one big club to finance the elite player. Remember that the entire SC player pool is smaller than many clubs in other states. The question that should be asked is: Why are elite Premier teams composed of regional players allowed to compete in SCYSA Cups? Do not give me the OH that is the only way to get to Nationals and Regional. Please! If a all South Carolina team composed of players in the clubs area, cannot compete Regionally/Nationally then that club needs to train and develop their respective players better. Not going to the ends of the earth to find a live, willing and paying body to show up to a game. How can people read the CESA accolades and say - Man that Greenville, SC team is playing great soccer. It needs to read WOW! That South Carolina Club has put together a great regional team. No wonder they beat the other small teams. The small teams need to be honored to hold the CESA teams to the close games. Do you realize the amount of money and geographic area some of those teams had to go to to just beat the smaller teams. I would congratulate the small clubs for competing. CESA should have KILLED every team with what they have tried to put together. Why stop with Premier teams. Let clubs recruit players from around the globe in Challenge, Classic and Recreation and take each one to regional play. What a concept! I mean fair for one is fair for all! Right! Let's let Division I schools play Division III schools in the NCAA Championships! I congratulate the Clubs who competed with great pride in the Cup! Keep your head up as you are a winner. No wonder CESA was so complementary of the other Clubs. CESA knew what the other small teams did not. CESA should have been embarrassed by not running away with the score. By first half, CESA should have been playing possession soccer and scoring after 15 to 20 passes. Yes! They complement the others! They quietly thank God they pulled through a few of the games. The other players and parents just do not realize the Goliath they were up against. Hold your head high and parents hug your players neck! Players say thank you to your parents for not giving up on your area team. Tell your club thank you for not giving up and continuing to train players to combat these giants. Hold your head high when you play against players who refuse to commit their talent to your local club instead to journey to a far away land to feast from the table of the elite. Remember that you did not give up on your area. Your competitive heart and desire will keep the blood pumping in your areas local youth soccer player. Good training and a well coached team playing for a cause will eventually beat a group of individuals playing for oneself!!!!!!!!!

I am flinching in anticipation for the blows to come. Do not worry for long - USL Super Y - League is the NEW and growing focus for the elite play. Signing off.
Man!!! What an awesome post. I don't agree with a word of it , but man that was awesome.I felt like I was reading The Communist Manifesto. Power TO The People.
A an U10 boys coach for CESA I wouldn't agree with the being forced to play in-house statement. We had 24 for teams in our age group, mostly from the club with a few from Anderson and Bob Jones. I loved the fact that we knew we were playing every game at MESA. If you truly go back to the 70's, assuming it was in Greenville, you must remember how awful it was to play at Northside one week, Washington Heights the next, somewhere out near Moonville the week after that, and finally up near T.R. I don't miss that at all. Does the Rec. program have flaws? Maybe. Playing in-house it not one of them.
Seethepitch -- AMEN!!! Your words ring true and certainly raise the warning flag in regards to the inherent danger of youth club soccer in SC. I have never read a more accurate depiction of this growing crisis. You are to be commended for coming forth and stating this viewpoint. Hopefully some will see that 95% is greater than 5% and that's who we need to cater to, not the elite. If CESA wants that role, so be it, but it's not for the majority!
Whether you agree with all, some, or none of Seethepitch's post, it was very impressive. This is what this forum is all about.
Seethepitch

While I am not anyway remotely affliated with CESA, I believe you are fairly off base in your assessment. GFC and Giles as separate entities used the same basic formula as CESA uses now. Actually, according to some of the "trainers" I have talked to, their work load has gone down. Sure, the whole training system does require a coach to make difficult decisions when it comes to which team I go with to which games. However, as many of the top coaches in the state will tell you, all of your coaching should be done well before you step on the field on Saturday morning. Its not the ideal situation at all times, but it allows quality trainers such as Hyslop, Pearse, Parkinson, Shelley, etc to train as many teams as possible. Thus, that means more players get coaching from these individuals.

"CESA should have KILLED every team with what they have tried to put together."

How can you possibly say that CESA should have killed every team that they played? The rest of the state is not that bad. Do you think that CESA is the only one recruiting and getting the premier players? Because that is absolutely not the case. CSC gets players from Northeast Columbia, Downtown, Mt. Pleasant, Sumter, Fort Mill, etc. Mt Pleasant and Summerville tend to pull from not only the Charleston area, but also regularly from Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Columbia, and other areas in the low country. Now, is their pull as strong as CESA's? absolutely not. However, long before the merger, GFC and St. Giles were pulling players from Columbia, Charleston, Rock Hill, etc. CESA did not magically start getting these great players. They have been there for some time.

" Why are elite Premier teams composed of regional players allowed to compete in SCYSA Cups? Do not give me the OH that is the only way to get to Nationals and Regional. Please! If a all South Carolina team composed of players in the clubs area, cannot compete Regionally/Nationally then that club needs to train and develop their respective players better. Not going to the ends of the earth to find a live, willing and paying body to show up to a game."

First of all, you stated in a previously that South Carolina's population is sometimes smaller than some of the Region III cities we must compete against, i.e. Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, etc. So why can a team go and get the best players possible?
CESA is not the only one's willing to take players from all over. As stated above, the larger clubs in the state tend to draw players from other areas. The Aiken Fire for the last few years have been compromised of numerous players from Georgia, some even from Atlanta. There is a little known club named Northside Soccer Club in the Fort Mill/Rock Hill area, that continually gets players from Charlotte because those players are disgruntled with their local clubs. Do you think this club turns those players down? Absolutely not.

To be honest, you sound like a very disgruntled parent. But you are entitled to your own opinion as I am mine.
I am sure that Pitch's comments will spur many discussions and points of view. However, in the point where Lowerstate talks about coaching before the game, that is simply not reality. The coach on the field does make a difference in most cases. To say that all the coaching is done in practice and the results come in the game does not work with most coaches, at least at this level. Some of the best coaches at CESA are the most vocal ones. Tormey, Hyslop, Minihan, and especially Shelley are very vocal and are not just sitting there during a game. One of the major complaints this year from parents and players is that a coach will have three teams, and is absent from games a good bit. By doing this you are saying that the coaching style is the same throughout the club and that the coaches are all on the same level. Nothing could be further from the truth. CESA, like many clubs has different level of coaches as well as different style of coaches. Take a yelling coach like Osorio or Shelley (both who are very good coaches) off a team for a game, and you can easily get a different game result with a more quieter coach.
Cornerflag

My fault for including the statement that "all" of your coaching should be done before the match. I know for a fact that it does not happen. However, it should have said that most of your coaching should be done before the match. I am certain that you can ask any of those guys at CESA and they will agree with that statement. I agree that it will affect a team to a degree if the coach is not there. There are numerous results from this past season that can attest to that fact. However, can one honestly argue that a team is getting slighted if Osario is not there and Shelley or Hyslop or any of the other numerous trainers are? I dont think so. I think everyone at NECSA would love to have a Tripp Miller on their sidelines, but Tripp is only one person and can only cover so much. I witnessed on numerous occassions that some of the trainers went with the challenge teams and left the premier teams with another trainer. So the argument that CESA cares only for the "elite" player does not hold water with me. As stated previously, the system has its flaws as does any, but obviously it seems to work and more than just the elite player is getting quality training. That was my point.

To be honest, the best system would be to have one coach focus all of his attention to one team. However, last time I checked, Greenville, nor the state for that matter, had 30 or 40 quality coaches in order to achieve this system. You have to work with what is available. The members of CESA should be thrilled to have the number of quality coaches that they possess.

Pitch was trying to say that the training system was a negative for CESA. That just is not true in my opinion. That was the point I was looking to drive home. I just did not state it too well
Cornerflag -- You pointed out that you personally value the "yelling" coaches at CESA.

Some of the best coaches at CESA are the most vocal ones. Tormey, Hyslop, Minihan, and especially Shelley are very vocal and are not just sitting there during a game. ... Take a yelling coach like Osorio or Shelley (both who are very good coaches) off a team for a game, and you can easily get a different game result with a more quieter coach.

I thought the trend in youth soccer was to "be quiet" and let the kids learn from their mistakes, not call play-by-play from the sidelines. I remember reading an article on here last year that said a club/league up North had instituted a "silent day" for their games so no parents or coaches could yell/talk during the game.

What's best -- a yeller or a quiet coach?
LS4A -- However, last time I checked, Greenville, nor the state for that matter, had 30 or 40 quality coaches in order to achieve this system.

Can you list for us the top ten trainers at CESA? How about across the state? Who would you include that could draw the best kids from across the state? Maybe this is where the "ultra-clubs" should focus -- on getting the best coaches together to train kids from all over the state and create a truly elite experience for ALL kids, not just the top 5%. Again, I thought this was the purpose of ODP, but since that is a wayward, money-hoarding organization, we'll leave it to the clubs.
Talon: your last question is probably a topic for discussion at some other time. However, despite what the trend is, there are still some coaches that are very vocal. Maybe the word yelling has negative connotations, but the coaches that I mentioned don't sit completely silent on the sidelines. I have found that at the younger ages, making vocal corrections during a game is not a bad thing, despite what the trend is. As the players get older and more disciplined, you usually see less of it.

Lowerstate: Point understood.
[Preface: My last post on this thread, and, I sincerely hope, my last post on any thread with a title referencing midlands soccer mergers.]

>>[swimmer1] The point of available training sessions right now is a bit misleading isn't it?
Only reason to train right now is for those state champ teams who might need to get to keep their touch for Regonals. MPSC teams playing in Christmas tournaments are stll practicing.<<

I honestly wasn't trying to be misleading, and apologize if I was. Here are some of the reasons players can be training now: [1] holiday team tournaments, [2] spring team seasons [e.g., scrimmaging colleges, tournaments, etc.], [3] ad hoc leagues/tournaments [e.g., indoor leagues, small-sided tournaments, etc.], [4] individual training for high school play, [5] individual training for regional play, [6] team training for regional play, [7] individual for ODP, [8] and so on.

The only point I was trying to make was that the club and parents in that club in which my daughter participates now offers training for multiples of these purposes, so my daughter is happy. I stated it only because the subject raised was commuting to clubs, and I thought it might help if people saw the kinds of services that people who commute to clubs appreciate.

If I were part of a midlands club considering a merger, I would first look at the services I could provide players rather than looking at ways to force players to leave their current team and play on a new one so I could win something.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/28/04 08:06 PM
1) Power should be given to the parents and players; 2) The "rest of the State" did GREAT! My point exactly. Look at how well they did do. Yes! GFC/SGU has pulled players for years. 2004 CESA taunts this once secret and proudly informs the community that other players travel to play with us why not you; 3) SC play should be SC Play! Regional & National play should be just that; 4) Disgruntled "NO" just getting people to discuss the changes. If we continue the SC Cup Play will be made up of only the mega merger teams made up of regional players. If the youth elite needs a way to get to Reg'l. & Nat'l play find another place to compete. Do not change the current system to meet their demands. Develop another divisional group (just like SCYSA did with Challenge Cup - Classic Cup & American Cup call it Premier Cup or they can play in the Super Y); 5)Coaches are coaches and trainers are trainers is the NEW Pitch. Parents are buying into the need for training more than coaching. We will have to wait to see how this player/coach disconnect affects the growth and development of the younger players! The older U15 and above S.C. teams did not develop under this new training model; 6) There are many quality coaches and trainers in South Carolina. PROBLEM - These people MUST fit the Clubs model in order to coach/train. Many very good people are not allowed to carry on because they do not fit (successful team later split and given new trainer and team struggles or coach can only carry a team to a certain age group before he/she identified as not knowing enough about soccer and team taken). Example: A number of years ago clubs turned away from quality coaches training players to a different model of college players training at practice and youth player making decisions in the game. This way trainer can say I train them and they just did not get it in the game - Not my fault - Must be the coach during the game - player just needs to train more! This model also eliminates player/coach role and allows players/parents to be more comfortable moving players around when the club sees a need for a change. Last time I looked soccer was still a TEAM system and TEAM tactic game - not a bunch of trained individuals putting something together in a game; 7) ODP did have the purpose to expose players to the regional & national side. PROBLEM - big money or lack of big money got in the way and ODP quickly has become a negative training option. Plus, a club can go over state boundaries and recruit players for a more successful team. Some Clubs do not support SC ODP! Many think the exposure can be found in other venues with a broader based roster. Once again - One must find the real reason why propaganda(N. 1. information or ideas methodically spread to promote or injure a cause, etc. 2. the deliberate spreading of such information or ideas.) is given - is it money, power, control, resume', win/loss record, ego or is player development? That brings to debate the question of "IS MY CLUB TRAINING THE WHOLE PERSON"? or "SHOULD A CLUB TRAIN THE WHOLE PERSON?" There is sooo much more to talk about!
Very good debate and discussion evolving from the merger topic! Keep it up as more talk needs to be taken back to the proverbial board rooms before more mergers hastily develop!
Seethepitch

a few comments on your last post, mainly item #4

A team can choose to play either Challenge or Classic State Cup at the beginning of the season. Believe me, teams outside of CESA have other goals besides winning a state championship. A state championship is the ultimate goal of every team in the Challenge Cup. However, most teams and clubs know where they fit and have other goals also. Just making the Championship game means tremendous to most clubs as it locks up a Region III Premier spot. Some clubs and teams look to get their teams to the Semis as that would be a huge accomplishment. Just being able to put semi-finalist down on tournament applications can mean alot to some teams and clubs. This allows them to get into tournaments that might be closed to them without being a semi-finalist. So there is no need for another division, because if a team chooses not to take on the "Elite" clubs, then they can play in the Classic Cup. However, there are some players at clubs other than CESA that would consider themselves elite players and want maximum exposure so their teams will choose to play challenge. SCYSA is giving everyone a choice.

You continually bring up Super Y. Do you know anything about Super Y? It is played during the summer. How do you propose the elite teams play in only Super Y? That means they take the whole fall off. I dont think that flies. Plus, like ODP, Super Y has tremendous logistical problems. THere is a reason why SC has only one club that actively participates in Super Y, Aiken is affliated with some clubs from Georgia. GFC, in affliation with the Greenville Lions, participated one or two years but decided to scrap its participation. You might ask Why?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Midlands Soccer [Moved from Thread with **** in Name] - 12/29/04 12:22 AM
Lowerstate4A - I agree with most of your comments. Super Y is a growing alternative for competitive players. Yes! It has it's downside, but is a alternative. Yes! It can conflict with High School and summer, but for many players they already train & play year around. Many do not play High School Ball to train on a better team. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. The mega merger would allow more participation at this level.
Yes! I am aware of the Challenge & Classic level! I will assume that many of you have participated long enough to know that the Challenge League is relatively young in South Carolina (I think it was official in 2002 or 2003 can't remember). With the increase in higher level play there will need to be discussion on how to group these teams to best fit their goals. SCYSA & Clubs discussed this two or three years ago and defined who could advance to these Cups. I think last year 03 was first year the Classic and American Cup was a OPEN CUP! Many can review the PMSL & SCSCL sites and see the number of teams in each group. The new premier teams did very well against other challenge teams and due to the lack of participation some age groups had to combine with older age groups just to form a group. SC has a new and growing problem in how to properly provide for each level of player(it is a good problem to have, just need to work together). A club merger is not the only solution and could create more player pool short falls. I disagree that SCYSA is giving everyone a choice - I believe they are doing the best they can with the feedback they receive, but more round table discussions need to take place to help clubs solve growing player pool problems. Proper player & team placement will continue to help develop players while not discouraging other players..
Super Y was fun to watch here in Charleston with the Battery, but needs to be more supported by all of S.C., not just Charleston.
seethepitch - I like your posts but could you put some paragragh breaks in the long posts. It is hard to absorb a long post if it smashed altogether.

Lowerstate4A - Actually Super Y is looking to go year round in the next year or two. I thought it was suppose to happen in 2005.

I would love to see the competition in Soccer programs such as SCYSA vs Super Y, it is the American way of life. Competition will only make things better for the parents and players.
© SC Soccer