SC Soccer
Posted By: futbol G Best players in SC - 12/05/05 02:16 AM
Who do you think are the top 3 players in the state for U-15, U-16, and U-17?

i only have an opinion for the U-15 age group.
(no particular order)

1. Sebastian Velasquez Cesa '90 Premier
2. Enzo Martinez DSC '90 Green
3. Preston Meyers Bridge '90 Gold
Posted By: benp Re: Best players in SC - 12/05/05 02:51 AM
lol, its funny how you started this topic simply so you could put a cesa player over enzo...lol
Posted By: benp Re: Best players in SC - 12/05/05 02:54 AM
u16

1 Sean Flynn Necsa Premier (big, physical, fast, good ball skills, hard shot...and dirty! lol)
Posted By: Greenville Red Raider 15 Re: Best players in SC - 12/05/05 03:00 AM
my boy cbass would take enzo anyday
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/05/05 03:08 AM
first of all who says "lol"

second of all its funny how i say (in no particular order)

if it would make you feel better i re-post it with enzo first.

jezzy- is that you jesse? with the orange and white kappas?
Posted By: soccersmylife Re: Best players in SC - 12/05/05 11:45 PM
And without the rest of the team, these players would not be. Maybe you should have said who are the best forwards in the state.

Who is the best midfielder or defensive player in your opinion??
Posted By: benp Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 01:16 AM
I don't know of anyone who says "lol." But yes, please repost your list with order and put enzo above the cesa player.
as far as defenders, and midfielders, i couldn't comment on anything younger than u18.
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 01:17 AM
good idea, but you gotta admit these player are the best players in the state. they can play mid and forward. defenders alot of times get overlooked, and it shouldnt be that way but it happens.
Posted By: GVLSoccerDad Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 03:24 AM
I would agree with Sean Flynn from NECSA...he is one heck of a player and he seems to be a pretty good kid as well...he makes those around him that much better as well.
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 03:30 AM
For benp:

in my opinion the top 3 mid/forwards in SC are:
(in no particular order)
1. Enzo Martinez- DSC '90 green
2. Preston Meyers- Bridge '90 gold
3. Sebastian Velasquez- Cesa '90 premier

HAPPY?

-gotta save the best for last.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 12:23 PM
Zach Prince, Jamal Geathers, Danny Cates, Jugal Dalal, Andrew Autenzio, Seth Kulasekera (sp?), Kira Campbell, et al...in no particular order.

There are many in different age groups and both sexes.... You will need to refine the selection process. I personally do not think you can compare across age groups without understanding the competition within the age group.

For example U15 boys you can pretty much say there are 3 teams, U16 boys on the other hand there are 6 strong teams, thus a player that stands out in U16 may be more deserving than one at U15. By the way I have no qualms with your picks all 3 are deserving of praise.
Posted By: The Hammer Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 02:45 PM
I think that alot has to do with the fact that it's easier for a player to look good in club surrounded by lots of good players, whereas their high school team they may only have 1-2 top caliber players and must elevate the players around them.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 03:40 PM
I have seen several players that were good HS players who struggled mightily when faced with top notch players at every position on the other team. There is a reason that college coaches scout the top clubs and not HS. Its hard to tell who can play at a high level when the competition is weak. If a kid stands out in a top club, then he is almost always a great HS player. The opposite is not true in many situations.I agree that a good HS player on a weak team will be a better player when surrounded by quality, but it will be more difficult to stand out.

This is just my opinion. Have a nice day..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 04:32 PM
Thats not what he said. He said was some kids look better b/c of the talent around them, not against them.

Also it seems to be a harder task of making average players(typical hs) look good rather than the talent on a "recruited" club team.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 04:52 PM
I was replying to the question posed by kickman. Why isn't the list of HS and club top players the same.

Tyler, I believe you are approaching this from the standpoint of the average player. I was looking more at the top players.

You might be a better player in club because you are surrounded by good players, but you better be REALLy good to stand out in that enviroment.

For example, you take most any 2A player that stands out in HS and put him on any age appropriate final 4 team from club and he would have a much more difficult time being seen as a standout on the club team. Remember, this thread is about the top players not average players.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 12/07/05 05:24 AM
Any kid at BE can play on any club team. The reeves kid from pendleton was on GFC. If anything those guys look better on the "elite" team than in HS.
Posted By: benp Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 08:22 PM
Zack Prince u18-Irmo
Jamal Geathers GA u19-SA
Jugal Dalal u16 Irmo
Sean Flynn u16 SV
Enzo Martinez u15 Northwestern (right?)
Danny Cates u17 (u16 elligible) Dutch Fork

and I'm not sure about Kira Campbell, Andrew, sebastian (never heard of him), or preston. But all of the ones listed play at 4a schools, and all but maybe Enzo (never seen him play high school) are standouts on their teams.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 08:59 PM
Kira Campbell - Lexington (U16) Girls
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Best players in SC - 12/06/05 09:00 PM
Andrew Autenzio is U16 I believe Dorman
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 12/07/05 11:40 AM
ALL 4A
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/08/05 02:55 AM
one more player that deserves honorable mention is COREY WHITE. Cesa '90 Premier. does the dirty work for the team in the back. great skill. Doesnt get noticed since he plays Defense but the team wouldnt be the same. i would say hes more of a "most valuable player" instead of "most outstanding player" in that case it would be Sebastian. you my boy C Money
Posted By: benp Re: Best players in SC - 12/08/05 05:02 AM
Where do sebastian and corey play? (in order to continue our research of whether all the nominated top players play 4a soccer)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 12/08/05 01:19 PM
Futbol G,
was Corey White injured this weekend i don't remember seeing him.
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/08/05 11:25 PM
Sebastian plays for Greenville High School and Corey plays for Eastside High School (defending state champs) They both obviously play for Cesa '90 Premier.
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/08/05 11:26 PM
yeah that seemed to be the case. i only saw him on the bench so i asume that would be the case because hes a starter.
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/09/05 02:47 AM
benp: they both play 3a. Consider this 2005 3a state champs Eastside high school (Corey Whites team) beat Northwestern High in the 2005 season. They also beat Dorman and various other 4a teams.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: Best players in SC - 12/10/05 12:22 AM
I could be missing something here...but after checking with a CESA U15B Premier parent...

I thought that the four defensive starters, for both the challenge cup and the year, for the CESA U15B Premier team are Brian Symmes and Sam Mattern [central defenders] and Matt Henderson and Manning Rushton [outside backs].

Nothing negative implied about anyone...and I don't have any sons or male relatives that play soccer...
Posted By: Talon Re: Best players in SC - 12/10/05 02:38 AM
"What does this all mean Basil?"
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 12/12/05 12:52 AM
That is what I thouight too Chico but I did not want to sound like I was calling futbol g a liar.
Posted By: CESA 09 Re: Best players in SC - 12/13/05 08:36 PM
When talking avout the best players in the U-15 age group who must include defenders Sam Mattern (CESA 90 Premier) and Robbie Benson (DSC Green).
Posted By: Cola Fan Re: Best players in SC - 12/14/05 01:14 AM
What a coincidence! Robbie Benson used to live next door to me when he lived in Columbia.

-
Posted By: BDad11 Re: Best players in SC - 12/14/05 01:20 AM
You're not James Holderman ...are you?.....
Posted By: Cola Fan Re: Best players in SC - 12/14/05 10:11 PM
[Big Grin] No. I am not James Holderman. But, when I moved to Columbia 25 years ago I lived about three streets over from the former USC president.
Posted By: BDad11 Re: Best players in SC - 12/14/05 10:38 PM
I think Jim and robbie both are "a little light in the loafers" , if you know what I mean. [Razz]
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/15/05 12:47 AM
CESA 09: i think you are either sam mattern or sams parents haha bc sam is #9 and cesa 09 your kinda giving it away. no one else would include sam in the top players in the state. maybe Robbie Benson but he got moved to center mid this season (at least in state cup). Sams a very solid player no doubt but dont give me this best in state stuff.
Posted By: CESA 09 Re: Best players in SC - 12/15/05 02:45 AM
I am definatly not Sams parents or Sam himself. You may need to think before jumping to conclusions like that. The reason I include Sam Mattern in that list is because in the State Cup Finals he won every ball that came into the Premier teams box and some on the offensive end too. He is also a leader on that team and on the State Champion team. By the way, what team do you play for?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 12/15/05 12:34 PM
cesa 09
Big sis sticking for llittle bro. Was he the leader on last years state champoin team?
Posted By: futbol G Re: Best players in SC - 12/16/05 04:23 AM
i disagree, Matt Henderson #5 and Corey White #8 are two very skilled defenders that anchor the 90 premier teams defence. Corey was very influential last year he started and played every second, with the coaching change he got screwed over. And this year matt rose to the scene in the defence and deserves more credit than sam. Sams cool tho no doubt. (unless sam is cesa 09)
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: Best players in SC - 12/16/05 02:01 PM
I suugest that the title of this thread be changed to best players in CESA 90 or U15 boys...
Posted By: CornerFlag Re: Best players in SC - 12/16/05 03:22 PM
Seems like I remember a kid down in South Aiken who was very good. Name began with a J. Can't seem to place it... J.. Jam... Was it Jamal Something? With all the U15 studs around I seem to have forgotten it....
Posted By: Keeper 192 Re: Best players in SC - 12/16/05 07:22 PM
futbol..This Thread should be titled "CESA: Self-licking Ice Cream Cone!"
Posted By: Platini 10 Re: Best players in SC - 01/12/06 03:17 PM
On the boys side of things:

U14- Joey Demare
U15- Enzo
u16- don't know much about this age group
u17- don't know
u18- don't know
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 01/12/06 04:03 PM
u18 Jamal, Andrew Evans Zach Prince
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 01/14/06 10:23 PM
U-16 Danny Cates, Andrew Autenzio, and Eian Rose
U-17 Seth Kulasakera, Blair Rushing (sp), and that Terance guy for Bridge
Posted By: mbsocfan Re: Best players in SC - 01/15/06 05:22 AM
That "Terance guy" is Terance Deas from McClellanville...He grew up playing soccer with Jamal.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 01/16/06 02:04 AM
Oh, well just because someone grew up playing with someone doesn't mean that they are good because of that, not that it can't help. But it seems like you are trying to take credit away from the guy, he's good because he is a gifted player, not because he played with someone.

But Jamal is really nasty
Posted By: mbsocfan Re: Best players in SC - 01/16/06 06:59 AM
I'm sorry...you misunderstood...I meant they had the same awesome training as young players, starting at U10 with Ted Rosengarten and then OSSOC...but combined with their individual talents and personalities, love of the game and support from friends and family they both have excelled...Jamal going to Aiken, and Terrence to Bridge. I don't in any way attribute Terrence's success to Jamal...but I guess we can all agree that training better players together in a strong soccer environment, makes everyone step up! I'm sure they challenged each other. There are many other players from that same group that are doing very well that just don't draw attention(yet!)...did you notice how well Lincoln High School's soccer team did last year? One last note...Preston Myers!!!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best players in SC - 01/16/06 09:48 PM
No, I did not notice how good they did, and yes Preston is a very talented player
© SC Soccer