SC Soccer
Posted By: Shibumi SCYSA Financials - 04/25/06 03:34 PM
The SCYSA is doing a pretty good job of disclosing their financials (I just wish their board minutes would come out faster). For those (admittedly very few - if any) people who are interested, here's a top-line look at the SCYSA's financials for the last three years:

-

Several observations:

• The organization is incredibly dependent upon registration, ODP, and (to a lesser degree) tournament revenue. Anything that threatens the number of players, the participation in ODP, or SCYSA-registered tournaments must be frightening.
  • Top-line revenue growth was 14% for the last two years while top-line expenses grew at 18%.
  • Sponsorship revenue has declined 56% in the last two years.
  • As I understand it, the marketing and publications expense item should go down drastically due to the switch to electronic media.
  • From 2003-2005, insurance costs rose 130%!
  • Administrative costs rose drastically (39%) as did directors expenses (30%).
  • The SCYSA can continue losing money for years to come with no threat to their solvency. Their cash position on May 31, 2005 was $303,426; down from $328,656 in 2004 and down from $335,515 in 2003.
If anyone has any insight into these numbers, or corrections of the data, please don't hesitate to post.
Posted By: Import Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/25/06 03:58 PM
Good stuff Chico. Overall looks like they are doing decent job.

Why the swings in ODP revenue? Was 2004 just abnormal? That should be an area of development and continued upswing.

Insurance costs def need to be addressed. Usually when you get hit with that big of increase, claims have come into play. If not, should have been a step approach vs. big bang approach.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/25/06 08:28 PM
How can they lose money? How can any organization other than the government spend more than their revenue?

Business can.....provided they have cash reserves or lines of credit. But an organization like SCYSA......I'm going to assume would have very limited cash reserves anyway, let alone after 3 consecutive years in the red. And who would extend a line of credit to a group with no assets?
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/25/06 08:32 PM
It would be interesting to benchmark SCYSA against neighboring states to see if similar trends exist.

Chico....are you up for it? Pick either Georgia or NC.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/25/06 08:54 PM
Just looking at the numbers...

$200k for ODP does not make sense. Unless they get revenue from outside the ODP players. ODP is normally payed for by players and in theory should be 0 differential.

ODP - (-16220)
Registration - 234,029
Tournaments - 31,306
Clinics and Workshops - 6,889

39% of the budget is spent on Admin, director expenses, and insurance. I would have to seriously question the insurance increase. This cannot be associated with players as I understood this was part of the registration.
Posted By: Keeper 192 Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/25/06 10:05 PM
On the topic of expenses and ODP (boys side); I find it incredulous that the ODP program can offer 'scholarships' to needy players yet IF a player goes to the region camp and gets held over with the possibility of making the pool, it is the parents responsibility to pay for the additional expense of getting the player home (especially once they've paid the expense upfront for travel to/from the regional camp, with no credit back from the original bill).
Posted By: Rocket Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 04:09 AM
Chico: "The organization is incredibly dependent upon registration, ODP, and (to a lesser degree) tournament revenue. Anything that threatens the number of players, the participation in ODP, or SCYSA-registered tournaments must be frightening."

By my reading, the organization is not the least bit dependent on ODP. In all 3 years shown, the ODP program ran at a deficit. Of course, what that means to the overall program depends on how some overhead costs are allocated. Still, it looks as if you could kill the ODP program and the SCYSA budget would be better off. Not advocating that, you understand.

It looks as if at the state level, as at most clubs, the elite player is subsidized by the rec player.
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 10:43 AM
Rocket,

I haven't figured this one out yet. My experience tells me that total costs per player aren't a heckuva lot different from an 8 year old just getting started and a premier level 16 year old. But revenues are WAY different. My experience tells me that older kids subsidize younger kids.

Interested in your logic....
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 10:46 AM
to clarify.....i'm not including tournament costs or travel costs. just things like fields, coaching, registration, uniforms, fixed overhead, etc. younger teams have fewer players to amortize certain costs over. pool training will work to an extent....but only so far.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 11:08 AM
>> [Rocket] By my reading, the organization is not the least bit dependent on ODP. In all 3 years shown, the ODP program ran at a deficit. Of course, what that means to the overall program depends on how some overhead costs are allocated.<<

You're right, ODP is positive from a revenue and cash flow perspective but not a profit perspective. Of course, you could say that about everything in the last three years; but your point is absolutely taken with respect to ODP.

>>Still, it looks as if you could kill the ODP program and the SCYSA budget would be better off. Not advocating that, you understand.<<

Unfortunately (or not, depending on your perspective), the USYSA would then find another group to become the SCYSA since that's part of the "cost of doing business."

>>It looks as if at the state level, as at most clubs, the elite player is subsidized by the rec player.<<

Huh? How did you get that from these numbers?
Posted By: Shibumi Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 11:13 AM
>> [Big Daddy] My experience tells me that older kids subsidize younger kids.<<

Here's what my experience tells me. If you're operating in a club with a substantial debt load due to non-municipal fields or if you're operating in a club which is paying non-trivial field expenses to a municipality, then if you allocate that debt/expense on a per-player basis then select tends to subsidize recreation.

If your fields are "free" (i.e., your neighbors and you pay for them in property tax), then it depends entirely upon the fee structure of the club.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 11:15 AM
>> [futbol(soccer)] This cannot be associated with players as I understood this was part of the registration.<<

I'm pretty sure that this is the total insurance bill, the majority of which is the catastrophic health insurance for children. Most of the registration costs are USYSA per-player dues (as per my, admittedly limited, understanding).
Posted By: Shibumi Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 11:17 AM
>> [Big Daddy] Chico....are you up for it? Pick either Georgia or NC.<<

I'll take a cursory look, but I don't think it's promising. The SCYSA has done what I think is a better than normal job of divulging financials beyond that normally found on a Form 990.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 11:18 AM
>> [Big Daddy] How can they lose money? How can any organization other than the government spend more than their revenue?<<

They have relatively large cash reserves. Their cash position on May 31, 2005 was $303,426; down from $328,656 in 2004 and down from $335,515 in 2003.
Posted By: Bmiddy88 Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 01:35 PM
what has happend to their sponsorship
Posted By: Big Daddy Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 02:30 PM
Dadgum, Chico...you are da man. Questions for you:

1. Where the heck would SCYSA have gotten so much cash from?

2. Its one thing to pull 1 or 2K per year out to balance the budget, but $30K? About 4% of total spending is variance?

3. Admin spending of almost 20% ($130K) seems pretty rich.

4. Nearly $ .25 of every $1 spent is either deficit spending or administration related?
Posted By: Belligerent Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 05:07 PM
Soccer For Fun,

Great point! The entire purpose of SC ODP is for players to make Region Pool and/or higher. You pay your fees, your child is held over, then they tell you, "Oh, sorry....yes, you're child has done a great job - exactly what we wanted him/her to do - but you're gonna have to figure out some other way to get him/her home. Thanks for all the hard work!"

If they are held over, why can't they ride back with an older group? Haven't run into it (yet), but you just never know.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 05:19 PM
As an FYI...my kid was held over for the region pool last year and rode back with an older group...but that was probably the exception.
Posted By: OnTheField Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/26/06 11:36 PM
If you look at the schedule all of the older teams are coming back on the same day. Do you expect them to send the bus back to get them. I could see them paying for a bus ticket back but would you want your child to ride on the bus by themselves. Maybe they could pay our gas to go get them and our time off of work.

They don't help the State teams get to Region playoffs. Seems like they could help.
Posted By: Chapindad Re: SCYSA Financials - 04/27/06 01:28 AM
The effects of 9/11 hurt a lot of insurance companies and scared the rest. I was the president of a condo association at the time of 9/11 and our insurance went from $35,000 a year to $90,000 without filing a single claim. Insurance is what it is and is usually shopped by an agent working for you to find the best price....
© SC Soccer