SC Soccer
Posted By: Big Daddy USSF Academy - 09/22/07 12:31 PM
This is a very active topic in NC.......seems few are interested in SC. Is Bridge it for SC? Has anyone heard about either CESA or Columbia United applying for next year?

CESA is the logical choice.....but I would think CUFC with its central location and ties to USC might be an interesting choice.

And USSF showed in its Charlotte selections that its not necessarily interested in rewarding for past performance.
Posted By: beachfan Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 01:00 PM
Here is an article from Sunday's paper in Charleston http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/sep/30/local_soccer_league_joining_prestigious_17676/.
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 01:41 PM
going to california to play games! does this make sense or is this just another money sucking program that the family budget is funding? at least you can one up the jones on where your kid plays! what's broken with the r3pl that we need another layer of leauge play? is the r3pl not developing top talent any more?
Posted By: Talon Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 02:15 PM
Although I am interested in the funding for such a venture, I am impressed with the caliber of players on the rosters.

The U16 roster is loaded with top players! Wow! This will be interesting to see what develops! Kudos to Bridge for sponsoring this opportunity.

U16 Academy Roster

Matthew Bailey, Summerville; Bobby Belair, Socastee; Nash Brace, Beaufort; Randall Eads, Fort Dorchester; Brandon Ferro, Pinewood Prep; Ryan Green, Hanahan; David Hurtado, Frederica Academy, St. Simons Island, Ga.; Keith Jackson, Wando; Matt Mitchell, St. James; Alex Moore, Fort Dorchester; Malcolm Reed, Pinewood Prep; Trey Riedmayer, Pinewood Prep; Dan Riley, South Aiken; Nico Rittmeyer, Savannah; Sergio Rojas, Hilton Head; Austin Savage, Stratford; Brendan Shumberger, Wando; Gregory Todd, Hanahan; Justin Watson, Socastee; Justin White, Stratford.

U18 Academy Roster

Christian Acevedo, Brunswick, Ga.; Will Bouch, Porter-Gaud; Daniel Bowers, Summerville; Brandon Chambers, West Ashley; Charles Cooper, Wando; York Dilday, Summerville; Chris Dixon, Myrtle Beach; Ray Ferro, Summerville; Michael Flato, Wando; Alex Filo, Pinewood Prep; Rudy Hellberger, Fort Dorchester; Luke Hogan, Wando; Austin Hubbard, Myrtle Beach; Ricardo Hurtado, Frederica Academy, St. Simons Island, Ga.; Brady Johnson, Erskine College; Matt Kennedy, Summerville; Justin Keys, Fort Dorchester; Ronnie Murray, Summerville; Paul O'Dea, Myrtle Beach; Robbie Owens, West Ashley; Hunter Wilson, Bishop England.
Posted By: Soccer16 Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 03:13 PM
What type of ODP experience is represented in these rosters? I am just curious as to what effect the academy program will have on the ODP numbers for those age groups.
Posted By: The Fan Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 03:23 PM
The academy doesn't pick the "top dog" of the clubs in the state. They look at the results from the cup and make a determination based on those.
Posted By: sid42 Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 07:01 PM
I believe US Soccer is looking beyond the regional premier league for coordinated player development. See US Nats results from WC 2006 & 2007 for some background to the bottom line mentality of US Soccer.
Posted By: beachfan Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 07:35 PM
As impressive as these rosters may be, it is by no means the best that SC has to offer. There is none of the talent from Greeville, Rock Hill, Lexington, Columbia represented on these teams. Would the teams be stonger if the USSF had looked at Columbia as the place to put the Academy? At least they would have had a better chance to draw players for the entire state. If the idea is to attract the top players into the Academys, then this does not appear to achieve that goal.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 08:28 PM
lcd,

I don't have a dog in the fight, and I don't have a favorite among Bridge, Columbia United or CESA (though I will say CESA certainly has the history)......but what you say regarding the center of the state certainly makes sense.
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 08:55 PM
No club other than Bridge applied. I'm not sure what the criteria were for selection. I do find it interesting that the USSF seems to have doubled the pool of players for each "age-group" from what I understood it originally to have been. It went from being U-16 and U-18 to kids born in either 91 or 92 (for U-16),etc.
Posted By: Bear Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 09:27 PM
Quote:

What type of ODP experience is represented in these rosters? I am just curious as to what effect the academy program will have on the ODP numbers for those age groups.

Having been involved with the boys 91 ODP for a while, here's what I know.

Of the current state team (of course all will have to tryout again) that earned the ability to play in the ODP National Championship in January, there are 2 team members and I think 2 alternates in the U16 list. I believe that there are other players listed that may be 92 or younger players.

Additionally, within that roster group there are 5 others that over the course of the last few years have been on the 91 ODP state team, but were not this past year.

As for the U18 group, there are a couple of players that I recognize as being on the older state teams and others that have been on that team, but I don't know that age group that well.

This year there doesn't appear to be an overly large impact to the numbers between this academy group and the ODP group.
Posted By: Bear Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 09:31 PM
HappyDaddy,

I don't think they have doubled the pool. Basically, any player that is U16 or below, defined to be 1991 or later birthdates can play with the U16 group. For the U18 group I believe that it's any player born 1989 or later can be in that group.

This age group is different because it's based on calendar year, but if a player in either system is eligible for U16 play, then they would also be age eligible for U18 play.
Posted By: Soccer16 Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 09:36 PM
Does the academy program make it easier for an ODP player to become a region pool player? I would think it does as some top talent will not be attending region camp this year. Then it appears that attaining a region pool level is not as great of an accomplishment as in past years. All players who are not participating in the academy should make a concerted effort to participate in ODP this year in hopes of garnering a coveted region spot! Even if it is watered down.
Posted By: Bear Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 10:00 PM
I don't know that it will be any easier this first year or not, but there are dynamics which could make it so.

I only saw 1 club from Texas, and there normally are several players from Texas in the pool. At quick count there were only about 13 or 14 clubs from Region III that have an academy program. Many of those clubs don't "normally" produce Region Pool players. So there are still a large number of players that have the potential to be in the ODP program, across the Region.

It may get to the point where it is easier to make the pool, but I don't think it will be this year, and I don't see that changing until more clubs come in, that aren't currently in the academy program.

Another way to look at it, if it doesn't have a big impact to SC, why would it have a big impact to the entire Region?
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: USSF Academy - 10/01/07 11:49 PM
I may be wrong but I think defining the U-16's as anyone born in 1991 or 1992 doubles the pool from what it would have been if it was simply U-16 (as that is normally defined). No biggy either way, just thought it was interesting.
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 10/02/07 06:30 PM
Bear, I think you are correct that there are 92's and younger on the U16 academy team for Bridge FA. I do not think Bridge had enough 1991's to form the U16 academy team without them due to the fact that some of the original 90 Gold team members chose not to participate in the Academy. I think they are now playing for Mount Pleasant.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: USSF Academy - 10/02/07 07:20 PM
I believe 3 went to Discoveries... one was Lundy junior who is nursing a knee injury, another is Khoury and i cannot remember the 3rd... But I believe they also have some Ga players in the roster.
Posted By: Bear Re: USSF Academy - 10/02/07 09:26 PM
Futbol,

The 3 players that went to DSC were on the 90 Gold, Lundy and Khoury from the start, and Twohig (from GA) was added over this past summer. I've seen Twohig in an AFC, Cobb and now DSC uniform over the years. All of these players are 1990 age ODP players, I think. I'm not sure about Twohig.

OTF,

Yes there are two former 90 Gold 1991 ODP age players that are in Mt Pleasant now. One of which is a 1991 State ODP team player. The other has been a 1991 State ODP player in the past.

Of the roster listed, I know of at least one 1992 ODP State Team player, and 1 1993 ODP National Team player. As far as physical maturity, there can be some big gaps between 13 or 14 year olds and 16/17 year olds.

With the 1 national team player, it's good to see player development being put ahead. Even though he's already played in 7 matches in the SCSCL, apparently, unless there's a loop hole in the rules, he's going to forgoe the rest of the SCSCL season to participate with the academy.
Posted By: sid42 Re: USSF Academy - 10/03/07 11:57 AM
I believe within the program there are players labeled "developmental" vs rostered. These Dev players can only participate in a limited number of the academy games while being allowed to play in all other affiliate events/leagues. Thus providing some (albeit little)flexibility for the general club population.
Posted By: Bear Re: USSF Academy - 10/03/07 02:32 PM
Interesting point.

Kind of mixing terminology here, but a developmental player is essentially a player within the club that is a guest player for the academy team at a limited number of matches?

How many of the players listed in the newspaper article are developmental players?

There are several names for the U16 group that I did not recognize.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: USSF Academy - 10/03/07 08:08 PM
Bear,
There are a few players that play on the 18 squad that are developmental players..That is the 17 age group playing up due to having two or three 18s on the squad...I believe the magic number is seven academy games
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 10/05/07 11:58 AM
Good luck to all the boys leaving today to compete in California:) Can't wait to hear how they stand up to the other teams:)
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 10/06/07 12:06 AM
Richmond Kickers (U16 & U18) both get the opportunity to play the USA National team on Monday. Talk about perks.....
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 10/08/07 08:03 PM
U-16's won a game and lost a game. U-18's lose and tie. Mighty long way to travel to play Atlanta and Florida.
Posted By: Chantman Re: USSF Academy - 10/11/07 04:09 PM
From the few parents I have spoken with, they have all had positive remarks regarding this trip.
Posted By: Giggs Re: USSF Academy - 10/11/07 05:59 PM
Did they say how much those couple of games ended up costing? Just curious if they got any help funding the trip.
Posted By: Chantman Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 01:38 PM
From the Bridge FA website,

BFA Academy Teams Experience First Class Showcase
Home Opener vs Richmond Kickers this Saturday
Bridge FA returned home from California having played in the US Developmental Academy Fall Showcase at the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA. Bridge FA’s U16 team won 8-0 against AFC Lightning highlighted by Austin Savage’s 4 goal game in its season opener Saturday October 6th. Bridge FA’s U16 team lost the next day to Clearwater Chargers 3-1 in an evenly played match.
Bridge FA’s U18 team lost its opener 3-1 to AFC Lightning and tied its second game 4-4 against Clearwater Chargers. Both teams showed well and enjoyed a scenic trip with visits to the UCLA campus, Beverly Hills, Malibu all while staying in Manhattan Beach, CA. Pictures to come shortly on trip highlights. Click here for more details on showcase event.. http://www.ussoccer.com/common/stContent.jsp_168-DevAcadFallShow07.html

Come out and support the teams this weekend as they host the Richmond Kickers in their home debut at First Baptist field in the back of the James Island Annex fields off Ft. Johnson Road. To keep up with all of the BFA Academy action click on the USSDA Development Academy pages.
Posted By: Paradox Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 02:13 PM
The cost of the trip (for the players) to the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles, CA. was about the same (or less) than a weekend of soccer in Atlanta or Raleigh. Most, if not all of the Academy players have been to both of those cites numerous times. California offered a new venue. Check out the USSF Academy website for the sites and sounds of an exciting weekend. Memories that all of the young men, that were fortunate enough to go, will carry with them for the next fifty plus years. $ PRICELESS $
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 02:46 PM
Paradox.... as you seem to have first hand knowledge, please explain how plane plus hotel costs can be less than or equal to a weekend in Raleigh or Atlanta?

Not negating the priceless point...

also based on the 8-0 shellacking and some of the other games it points out the obvious... not all the best players are playing in the academy.
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 02:48 PM

Paradox - who paid the airfare tab to CA? did the ussf pay for or provide any travel/hotel/food?
Posted By: Paradox Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 04:17 PM
Of Course “not all of the best players are playing Academy”. Nor are all the best playing premiere or ODP, for many different reasons. I reread my post to be sure and I didn’t see any reference concerning who the best were playing for? Also, I said cost (for the player). There were sponsors that helped out with some expenses, I do not know who. Bottom line, the trip was reasonably priced, a great experience and very much enjoyed. Sorry to upset you with that statement – not really.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 06:00 PM
I see your moniker was well selected....Paradox

Noone is upset...I just wanted to know how you can say it was cheaper, in theory if the same support existed for the trip to Raleigh/ Atlanta then it would not be cheaper.

Therefore, as you state - out of pocket for the player there is no difference. For the club on the other hand the need for sponsorship is increased. Thus there must be a "special" program that applies only to the academy player as the per player cost to the club is greater.

In the end I am happy to see Bridge perform, wish them luck in the season and still think if you are fielding a team in the "ACADEMY" you should not be losing 8-0 or in the case of Bridge winning 8-0. It is after all USSF's intention to increase competition....
Posted By: Chantman Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 07:44 PM
I think a lot of people need to remember this is the first year of this new academy. I'm hoping many of the bumps in the road will smooth out and this academy will improve each year. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the impression from some posters that they would be happy to see this academy fail. Only time will tell.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 08:50 PM
If you mean me....not fail... just disagree with the age groups... should be u14 and u16 IMO. But I have said that before.
Posted By: Shibumi Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 10:05 PM
Paradox: I for one like the Academy in theory and hope that it succeeds so as to put more pressure on what seems to me to be a moribund and at best misguided USYSA structure.

And I'm all for a club having a special program, or special sponsors, for part of their programs. CESA has had and advertised a women's fund for years now; there's no reason that a club and/or teams within the club shouldn't go after sponsorship money for special programs.

But you do yourself a disservice making vague claims that a trip to California costs less than a trip to a neighboring state and when asked about it waving your hands. You should be telling people exactly what you're doing -- so that we can get more people to jump on the bandwagon.
Posted By: soccerislife Re: USSF Academy - 10/12/07 11:41 PM
The principle of the Academy is the best program available for the players that want to player soccer at a higher level. Quality practices over just playing games.
Soccer has become a money making business, but the basic principle should still be about player development. The more good practices you have the better you should become; players growth would be exponential based on there talent level. I agree that the kids play too much meaningless games, and to some players the games are not as important as they should be. It’s taken for granted.
The Bridge was formed for that player wanting more than just playing games on weekends. By joining this league the Bridge has once again demonstrated they have a vision for elite player development. The Bridge took a calculated risk and I hope they get the return they deserve.
If you keep doing the same thing don’t expect a different result. People in South Carolina have been cultivated to accept second best. This attitude must change before we can achieve greatness in the state.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: USSF Academy - 10/13/07 01:48 PM
soccerislife... I agree as well the concept is good step forward, even if I disagree with some of the claims. To your point of developmenet I will reply with Hurst's signature line
"Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid."

If you practice and never play you will eliminate the player.
Posted By: Bear Re: USSF Academy - 10/13/07 02:02 PM
Quote:

If you keep doing the same thing don’t expect a different result.

I am in total agreement with this portion. I'm sure you could go back and see where I've essentially said the same thing.

So you and I essentially use the same words, but for a different message.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: USSF Academy - 10/13/07 10:12 PM
16s won today...scored five goals..gave up 2 or 3
Good job!!
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 10/14/07 11:54 AM
I thought a high scoring game (5-2) was not a good match up between teams. A well matched game between two teams would have lower scores. Your thoughts?
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: USSF Academy - 10/14/07 12:48 PM
totally agree...low scoring games show well balanced teams from the offensive side of the ball to the defensive side..I prefer a 1-0 result with one team taking advantage of another teams mistake..any score on the 18s match?
Posted By: soccerislife Re: USSF Academy - 10/14/07 01:05 PM
Futbol,

Look at all the professional leagues, developmental players are always practicing and learning their trade. The academy system also mandates this concept of practice and games.
The younger players at Barcelona, Manu are not playing two games every weekend. They practice four to five time per week and play one meaningful game one the weekend. They take that chance with both hands; play with passion, commitment and have fun impressing.
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 10/14/07 01:11 PM
U-18s tied at 3-3. I was not there, but heard it was very very heated, to say the least.
Posted By: Soccer16 Re: USSF Academy - 10/14/07 09:37 PM
I support Bridge's decision to grab a so called niche in the club soccer ranks. I think the program can be a succes but I would be concerned placing my son in this type of program's first year.

I am curious as to how the Academy clubs will handle any NCAA regulations? What I mean by that is some people sated there were special funds available for these elite playes through sponsors. When does the contribution of sponsors become excessive and then causes eligibilty issues for the players?

I am not ttying to pick on Bridge as this applies to all of the development clubs and can even be taken further as it relates to club soccer as a whole. I am sure someone out there knows the NCAA regulations and how they can be interpretated on this issue.
Posted By: Manchester Re: USSF Academy - 10/15/07 02:24 AM
Things may appear to some to be very much up in the air for the Elite player with the introduction of the Academy program. I expect to see some very lopsided scores within USYSA Region play as well as the Academy as Clubs have moved players and teams for any number of reasons. Could be good, could be bad. Time will tell.
Posted By: Manchester Re: USSF Academy - 10/15/07 03:44 AM
Soccer 16,

Nike and Adidas funds have flowed into AAU basketball for years. In my view, one should assume that since they may be driving a similar strategy within youth soccer that all of the same issues regarding eligibility have already been raised and addressed.

Given the resources both companies have at their disposal to impact a market, it shouldn't take too long to see how it all shakes out. Competition is always good for the the consumer and in this case it will probably be good for the player. As an example, I've noticed a slight increase in how USYSA has stepped up their marketing of the ODP program in the face of competiton for replacement players pulled away from ODP by the Academy.

Personally, I think we'll end up with an Adidas vs Nike model benefiting Elite players. Which model will college coaches support? Interestingly, the boys of two notable SC D1 coaches both remained in the Premier League this season.

Change is often good. One just has to look for the opportunities to capitalize on them.
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 10/15/07 12:16 PM

Quote:

Nike and Adidas funds have flowed into AAU basketball for years.

Given the resources both companies have at their disposal to impact a market, it shouldn't take too long to see how it all shakes out.

Manchester,

I tend to disagree on this one. Their funds do seem to be flowing for other sports and it may flow one day with youth soccer. Nike and Adidas do not donate funds because they are nice folks and like to help athletes.

They donate the funds for name recognition / advertising and ultimate EXPECT a return on their investments. There is more support on a national level, but IMO, we are not there yet in "elite" youth soccer.
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: USSF Academy - 10/15/07 12:55 PM
Good point redcard. I didn't think that Nike and Adidas were financially supporting the Academy program at the same financial level that they invest in AAU youth basketball.
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: USSF Academy - 10/15/07 01:23 PM
I agree Redcard... I browsed through Bridge's website - http://www.bridgefa.com/ussocceracademy/index_E.html
and did not find any sponsorship reference. I would have thought that a sponsor would be prominently displayed, unless Lloyd's soccer shop has been doing some brisk business lately.

I think any business that steps up to help these teams should be recognized, it is not a cheap program (as some have you think).

While I am at it, congratulations to Nestor for being selected to the US U14 national development team ( http://www.bridgefa.com/home/195763.html ).

This Lexington County native has impressed from a young age.
Posted By: Manchester Re: USSF Academy - 10/15/07 02:22 PM
If you look deep enough into the decision USSF made to create the Academy program you will likely find Nike influence as they are the sponsor of the National Team. On the other side of the coin Adidas has their ESP program.

Given the fact that Academy players aren't allowed to play anywhere other than in the Academy and for their High School, I for one seriuosly doubt Adidas will quitely give up on having access to some of the top players in the country. How will they handle it? The two companies will influence clubs within the Premier League and the Academy in an effort to build programs designed to attract top talent their way.

Make no mistake, both of these companies are involved in what appears to be a new divide of Elite soccer in the US.

I don't think we'll see local retailers involved from a branding standpoint. What you'll see is a fight for control of access to players through clubs participating in specific leagues. Ultimately, the winner will be the players as companies compete for their business.

Reference this link for the Adidas program:
http://www.adidas-esp.com/Home/Index.asp
Posted By: Soccer16 Re: USSF Academy - 10/15/07 09:30 PM
Congratulations to Nestor!

So how do Nike and addidas pump money into AAU programs? How do they get around NCAA rules and/or what are the rules that govern this type of donation/support/funding?
Posted By: Manchester Re: USSF Academy - 10/15/07 10:44 PM
16, I'm just passing on what I've read about Nike and Adidas and their involvement in AAU and can't elaborate further. Maybe someone else will pick up this thread and let us know what the specific rules are governing financial influence of players outside of school systems. I wouldn't be surprised to find that different rules apply to privately funded (club) competition vs high school and/or collegiate competition.
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 10/16/07 12:52 AM
One would think Bridge FA should qualify to be one of the "Nike Premier Club" affiliates. I don't think they pump alot of cash into the club, but it would certainly help with discounts towards the purchasing of their soccer related products. Nike seems to be a litle more proactive in youth soccer than Adidas.

Anyone know what the qualifications or acceptance criteria is?
Posted By: Giggs Re: USSF Academy - 10/16/07 12:56 AM
"The principle of the Academy is the best program available for the players that want to player soccer at a higher level. Quality practices over just playing games."

Interesting quote. There are plenty of A licensed coaches in this state that have 3 high quality practices for their premier teams. What more is the Bridge offering their players? As to meaningless games.... I think that these games are extremely important to player development and also keeping the interest of the players. These meaningless games include league game and tournaments. I am just curious as to what the coaches at Bridge will be offering over and above what is available in the rest of the State ie DSC, CESA,CUFC et al.

My general impression of the Bridge decision to join is that they were looking for a way to separate themselves from the rest and attract players that they have so far been unable to attract. Not a bad plan if it works, but they should probably concentrate on being the best in the state before they branch out. Just an opinion
Posted By: soccerislife Re: USSF Academy - 10/16/07 02:53 PM
Giggs,

What does being the best in the state have to do with the Bridge offering a program that they believe would be the best thing for the kids in its program? If other kids from other clubs think its a worthwhile program they would join.
Some clubs decided to take the wait and see approach whilst other clubs saw this program as the future of elite soccer in the country.

The premier league is a very competitive league, and have good coaches also.

I made my statement by assessing the framework of the academy league to the other top leagues in the world. The academy mirrors those leagues that have produced great results for the young talents in the program. Looking at the frame work and the backing behind the academy league leads me to conclude it would be a success in the future.

If the Bridge consider itself to be an elite club I think they have made a good decision to join this league. Looking at the Bridge Website they have a lot of players selected for the SC ODP team and have players that were held over for the region team in the past and; they also have had two players on the national team pole. The club is taking care of its players.
Posted By: Giggs Re: USSF Academy - 10/17/07 01:06 AM
My prior remarks were not meant to demean the BFC, only to ask what they were getting in return for the extra expense re: training. I think it is great if it benefits the club. Only the club,parents,and players can assess the value. I guess I was asking what you are getting in return. Is the training any better than you were receiving before?
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 10/19/07 09:17 PM
It was my understanding that BFA was going to use monies from their tournaments to help with costs for the two teams participating in the Academy. I just went on the web page and noticed they have canceled their Thanksgiving Tournament. What a shame. I guess Paradox won't be happy now. I sure hope they have found a sponsor to help with $$$$.
Posted By: Paradox Re: USSF Academy - 10/20/07 02:35 PM
The Academy is new. No one can say exactly what is going to happen in the future with this league. A lot of people have predictions. In the past there have been many “firsts”, some firsts produced outstanding benefits, other firsts ended there. Change is going to happen in everything in life. Either you make changes or changes make you. I had my doubts concerning the Academy program and I thought going to California was crazy.
I’m not on any board, not a coach, not in any “inner circle”, in fact my few suggestions are (I guess heard), but not implemented. My thoughts are based on my family’s view, not from the club view, as selfish as that sounds. The club made the decision to be apart of the Academy, not a sole asked me what I thought.
It’s my belief that California was a one time trip, I think sponsor (s) provided the air fare only. It was “all that” and next year if we are allowed to go again, my family will go with or without a sponsor. The rest of the schedule seems manageable to me.
The Academy league will continue. I think new clubs will be added and maybe some clubs will be dropped (my opinion), again I don’t know what happens behind the scenes. I have been told my other club members that are involved in the decision making that there is a wait and see attitude concerning the Academy. That position is very understandable.
The Academy is different – some major, some minor ways. The opportunity to play teams that you would not otherwise get to play because they were not in the same league. Weekly reports from U.S. Soccer out of Chicago that gives a rundown of every game played. Also, I must say very well written. The National Anthem is played before every game; something that I thought should have been done in other leagues. Sometimes, simple things mean a lot.
Time is our best friend or can be our worse emety. Only time will tell us what happens with the Academy. For me and mine, we are enjoying what the Academy is offering. I believe that down the road – if you want to play the most competitive soccer – it will be in the Academy.
The most important thing for us all to keep in mind is that for our youth and for the beautiful game - just play somewhere – GAME ON !!!!!!!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: USSF Academy - 10/20/07 10:51 PM
Does the academy play by international FIFA rules? Limit three substitutions, no re-entry?

If the purpose is to give these kids a similar experience to what other international professional clubs provide, perhaps they should consider this.
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 10/21/07 12:15 AM
From USSDA Regulations

A. Laws of the Game
1. General: Unless otherwise provided in these Regulations, all Academy Games shall be
played in accordance with the Laws of the Game in force at the time of the competition and as laid down
by the International Football Association Board. In the case of any discrepancy in the interpretation of the
Laws of the Game, the English version shall be authoritative.
2. Game Length: All Academy Games will be two 45 minute halves.
3. Substitutions: All Academy Games will have a maximum of seven (7)
substitutions per game with no re-entry.
B. Disciplinary Matters: Disciplinary incidents are dealt
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: USSF Academy - 10/21/07 12:19 AM
Well.....at least there's no re-entry.

Thanks redcard.
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 10/21/07 10:57 AM
How did the teams do yesterday? Where can you find a schedule?
Posted By: socitome Re: USSF Academy - 10/22/07 06:37 PM
U16's won big. How about Justin Watson #23? Those that have seen him play how far do you think he can go?
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 10/23/07 01:33 AM
On the Field.....heres the Academy Schedule Link

http://www.t7sports.com:8080/2005/b101621.htm
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 10/23/07 02:19 PM
Thank you..........Do you know what the score was for Saturday's game?
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: USSF Academy - 10/23/07 02:36 PM
where are the Texas/Dallas teams?
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: USSF Academy - 10/23/07 06:01 PM
putitadifferentway... they did not join
Posted By: letmeputittooyouthisway Re: USSF Academy - 10/23/07 06:50 PM
thanks, futbol. it will be interesting to see who signs up in y2. since i'm assumming that the power clubs took a wait & see stance before jumping in.
Posted By: soccer19 Re: USSF Academy - 10/24/07 01:48 AM
http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_3178496.html

highlights 10/14

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_3440643.html

highlights 10/21
Posted By: Sock Monkey Re: USSF Academy - 10/29/07 01:28 AM
Where can you get the academy game results? I have been to the US Club website seems to take forever for them to post scores.
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 10/29/07 08:22 PM
Thought this was interesting... I looked up the club teams who made it to 2007 US Youth National Championships last year, U-15 to U-17 boys (Yes, I was bored) Anyway, 2/3's of all teams who made it are now playing Academy and 2/3's of the crowned National Champs are also in the Academy.

I only searched the ages who would now be playing U-16 & U-18.

The other 1/3 happened to be from Texas & Arizona, which may not make alot of sense for them since they have plenty of talent right in their back yard.
Posted By: justwanttoplay Re: USSF Academy - 11/29/07 08:45 PM
Redcard

Do you have a son playing for the Bridge Academy? If so, can you tell me how it has been on this Academy as far as money goes. When the team travels, do the parents also travel or does Bridge rent a bus or something?

Has any players been contacted by Coaches interested in them? Are they being seen by other academy staff?
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 12/01/07 01:55 AM
Justwant,

Yes I do, and the price seems to be about the same as it has always been. So far they haven't rented buses but they do carpool and share rooms (very much like in ODP) Several parents do still travel and help out with rides.

I can tell you there have been college coaches at just about every Academy game so far and yes, several players have been contacted by these coaches. (In all fairness, there may be just as many college coaches at other league games at this age, I don't know)

Also I am pretty sure each game is video taped for the Academy use. Somebody else may can enlighten us on who reviews the DVD's of each game, sorry I can't help you on this one.
Posted By: Sock Monkey Re: USSF Academy - 12/03/07 12:18 AM
Bridge verses CASL academy, scores anyone?
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 12/05/07 03:23 PM
"CASL United U-15/16 opened their Development Academy campaign with a 4-1 win on the road in Charleston, S.C., where they took on Bridge FA in Atlantic Conference action."

This was taken off the USSF Academy web site. Has Bridge been playing the weaker teams in the Academy and now they will be meeting their hardest teams?

323510 SA JAN 5 4:00 PM GREENSBORO SOCCER CLUB BRYAN PARK STADIUM #1
323518 SU JAN 6 1:00 PM CASL DURHAM BULLS SOCCER STAD
323526 SA JAN 12 1:00 PM NORTH MECK FIRST BAPTIST FIELD
323542 SA JAN 19 12 NOON SOUTH CHARLOTTE SA DAVIE PARK
323550 SU JAN 20 12 NOON NORTH MECK DAVIDSON
323554 SA JAN 26 1:00 PM GREENSBORO SOCCER CLUB FIRST BAPTIST FIELD
323576 SA FEB 2 12 NOON CARMEL UNITED SOCCER CLUB FIRST BAPTIST FIELD
323642 SU FEB 10 11:00 AM MICHIGAN WOLVES FIRST BAPTIST FIELD
323669 SA FEB 23 12 NOON EMPIRE UNITED FIRST BAPTIST FIELD
324107 SA MAY 31 2:00 PM SOUTH CHARLOTTE SA FIRST BAPTIST FIELD
324131 SA JUN 7 87:99 PM CREW
324185 SU JUN 8 87:99 PM OHIO ELITE SOCCER ACADEMY
324247 SA JUN 14 87:99 PM INTERNATIONALS
324360 SU JUN 15 87:99 PM CASA
324477 SU JUN 22 11:00 AM VARDAR FIRST BAPTIST FIELD
Posted By: Sock Monkey Re: USSF Academy - 12/05/07 07:38 PM
On the Field

Where did you get the scores from, I cant find them on US Soccer websites. How did the older boys do?
Posted By: On the Field Re: USSF Academy - 12/05/07 09:04 PM
http://www.ussoccer.com/teams/acad/index.jsp.html It is on the front page click on the more...

I copied and pasted the schedule from the schedule page.
Posted By: Sock Monkey Re: USSF Academy - 12/05/07 10:29 PM
Thank you
Posted By: redcard Re: USSF Academy - 12/06/07 12:48 PM
Sock Monkey,

You can get all scores & news sent directly to your mobile phone if that would be easier for you.

http://www.eyouthsportsusa.com/cgi-win/esked2.exe?pS101621
Posted By: Sock Monkey Re: USSF Academy - 12/06/07 06:42 PM
Thank you red card, that is cool.
Posted By: Lowcountry Soccer Re: USSF Academy - 12/10/07 08:08 PM
Now that the SCYSA U15-18 cups are finished, Bridge FA is looking for a few players to complete their U16 & U18 Academy pools. The U16's are 91-92 players and U18's are 89-90 players.
Interested parties should contact Clark Brisson at 843-270-0596 or email him at [Email]clarkbrisson@netzero.net.[/Email]
Posted By: futbol(soccer) Re: USSF Academy - 12/10/07 08:31 PM
Please note that if you qualified for regionals you are still tied to USYSA
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: USSF Academy - 12/10/07 09:17 PM
Why doesn't Bridge fill the spots with its own players?
Posted By: Bonz Re: USSF Academy - 12/11/07 01:25 PM
Ultimately though, it's important to keep in mind that this isn't a competition between clubs. The sole purpose of their existence is to create an environment where our kids can play soccer, improve as they can, and have fun.
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: USSF Academy - 12/11/07 04:13 PM
Clever, but no dice. My question isn't inconsistent with my other statement. In fact, attempting to lure players from one club to another is antithetical to the best interests of youth soccer.

If Bridge couldn't fill up its Academy teams with players from within Bridge, why did it join?
Posted By: Shibumi Re: USSF Academy - 12/13/07 11:38 AM
I thought it was both clever and perhaps more importantly a valid point of view. Quite often those that espouse the best interests of youth soccer are taking a position that really means "best interests of me and my kid."

Someone makes a post on a message board concerning openings at another club for another program. You equate that to "attempting to lure players from one club to another" and state that such an attempt is "antiethical to the best interests of youth soccer."

I understand how you could resent this if a player from your kids' team does this and later decides to join Bridge -- you don't want to lose the kid to another club. In other words, I understand how this is potentially "antiethical to you personally." But I do not understand how this is "antiethical to the best interests of youth soccer" -- could you please make your case?
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: USSF Academy - 12/13/07 12:44 PM
I think what H-Daddy is trying to point out is that if this was practiced and perpetuated throughout SCYS(A), you would have no stability, no loyalty....and potentially mass chaos, as teams scramble to finalize their rosters.

Sort of akin to.........a market economy!
Posted By: Shibumi Re: USSF Academy - 12/13/07 01:19 PM
Much like our economy, there's a balance between regulatory and market forces. There are sufficient regulatory forces in place (roster freezes, penalizing kids for transferring, etc.) to ensure those that are wary of allowing complete freedom of choice for kids that "mass chaos" will not occur.

Pray tell -- how does Bridge offering slots on its Academy teams after the state championships have occurred in the manner in which they did (i.e., a message board) threaten to erupt into "mass chaos?"

By the way -- as a modest suggestion -- perhaps the way to ensure loyalty to a club or a team is for the club or team to earn it through offering increasingly superior services rather than regulate it and forbid choice.
Posted By: coldhardtruth Re: USSF Academy - 12/13/07 01:30 PM
Help me understand the loyalty thing..you complete your fall season with the club you are loyal to and then you are offered a chance to continue soccer thru an academy program with another club..I only see this as a win-win
Posted By: HappyDaddy Re: USSF Academy - 12/13/07 02:19 PM
The generic, "anyone interested please call" message is not, of itself, improper. My issue is with recruiting in general. I would prefer it be against the rules, period. There is no mystery about where the clubs are in this state. The big ones all have websites. If my son wants to talk to CESA or Bridge FA, he can contact them. I think the clubs should leave each other's players alone. Why should a club contact a player and try to get him/her to change teams? Is that beneficial to the overall health of the clubs in SC? I don't think it is.

More specifically, why did Bridge join the Academy if it didn't intend to fill its teams with Bridge players? There are more than enough 91/92's playing at Bridge to fill the U-16 roster. Why is it necessary (or appropriate) to broadcast a call for players? Was the purpose of joining the Academy to field the strongest possible team wearing the Bridge colors, regardless of where the players come from, or was it to give Bridge players the benefit of what the Academy program is supposed to offer?
Posted By: Shibumi Re: USSF Academy - 12/13/07 10:56 PM
>>Why should a club contact a player and try to get him/her to change teams? Is that beneficial to the overall health of the clubs in SC? I don't think it is.<<

Okay...the argument is no longer one of harm to youth soccer in the state but instead is that active recruiting isn't beneficial. I guess I'd agree; I see it as neither a positive or negative but simply a zero-sum game between various teams and clubs at the overall youth soccer level. At the individual level, it seems to me that the player contacted has two choices: say "go away" or say "sure!" The player contacting saying "go away" doesn't change anything; the player contacted that says "sure!" is doing something of her or his free will that she or he wants to do. Who is being harmed?

>>More specifically, why did Bridge join the Academy if it didn't intend to fill its teams with Bridge players? There are more than enough 91/92's playing at Bridge to fill the U-16 roster. Why is it necessary (or appropriate) to broadcast a call for players? Was the purpose of joining the Academy to field the strongest possible team wearing the Bridge colors, regardless of where the players come from, or was it to give Bridge players the benefit of what the Academy program is supposed to offer?<<

What about this: Bridge wants to field the strongest possible team wearing Bridge colors so that Bridge can help its best soccer players get better by playing with the best.

What I wonder about in both of these topics is why you feel that Bridge offering players the chance to play more youth soccer or another club contacting a player they'd like to play on their team hurts that player? If it's not the player who will play and/or be contacted that you're worried about, who precisely do you see being hurt?
Posted By: LeGrazie Re: USSF Academy - 12/15/07 02:59 AM
What's the big deal? If a club is looking for players, I think its good to know. If you're happy where you are, you will stay put. I want as much information about playing opportunities as I can get.
© SC Soccer