SC Soccer
http://www.fmupatriots.com/sports/wsoc/2011-12/releases/20120402ytcwai

April 2, 2012
Person steps down as FMU women’s soccer coach

Like Francis Marion Athletics on Facebook!

Athletic Department officials at Francis Marion University have announced that head women's soccer coach Joel Person has decided to step down from his position effective immediately.

Person has led the Patriot program for the past three seasons and recorded a 10-38-4 mark. FMU was 4-13-1 this past season.

FMU director of athletics Murray Hartzler said that the search for Person's successor would begin immediately. "Coach Person felt that this decision was in the best interest of himself and the program. We now look forward to finding a coach that can move our program toward future successes."

The women's soccer program is one of two Francis Marion athletic programs that compete at the NCAA Division I level. The program has an all-time record of 175-117-15.
What Happened? Other than the Record. Kinda seems like a harc situation to win in?
Looks like Murray is shaking things up in the Great Pee Dee,first Kevin now Joel.
Rumor has it.........

......could be a familiar face!

Possible "homecoming" for a former SC college coach???
who?
Former Coastal coach?
FMU is loosing recruits as they sit around. I also heard they might be going back to the Peach Belt, Back to DII?
What could be taking so long?
IMO they do need to go back to D2, women's soccer was the only sport at D1 and played as an independent which was difficult as they could not qualify for ncaa tourney and had to find teams to play outside of a conference which led to tougher teams. They never had great success at D1, so that would be a good move. I would not think transitioning to D2 would hold up getting a coach, as there are tons of head and assistants that are qualified to lead the team. Maybe dragging their feet but they need to get someone in their quick as the season starts in 2 1/2 months with preseason.
Definitely need to return to D2. FMU is NOT a D1 school in any respect. They are a natural at D2 in the Peach Belt. Makes the most sense. If they just recruited from within SC, they could have a very decent side. Need to sell the fact that they're an hour from the beach and can offer quality playing time and that they're a state supported school.

I wonder how much they're willing to pay for a coach. Seems that might be the biggest hurdle for them right now.
I think you need to get your facts straight before posting silly comments on this board. Francis Marion would be an excellent NCAA Division 1 team, low level, say the Big South. Would compete very well in that conference, especially with the facility.

The poor record over the past couple of years has been down to poor recruiting, very tough schedule, and coaching. When Marty Beal was the coach Francis Marion did very well in NCAA Division 1.

Example:

2006 Season 11-5-3 with wins over Charleston Southern, Presby, The citadel, High point, SCSU, Coastal, UNF

2007 Season 10-7-1 with wins over similar teams.

So, Francis Marion can be a NCAA Division 1 team!!
well here's an update:

http://www2.scnow.com/news/pee-dee/2012/may/11/fmu-names-pitt-womens-soccer-coach-ar-3775464/

FMU names Pitt as women's soccer coach

Athletic Department officials at Francis Marion University have announced the hiring of Frank L. Pitt of Dallas, Ga., as the university’s new head coach for women’s soccer.

By: Michael Hawkins | FMU Sports Information Director
Published: May 11, 2012

FLORENCE, S.C. – Athletic Department officials at Francis Marion University have announced the hiring of Frank L. Pitt of Dallas, Ga., as the university’s new head coach for women’s soccer.

Pitt succeeds Joel Person who resigned in early April after three seasons leading the Patriots. FMU, which competes as an NCAA Division I independent, posted a 4-13-1 record last fall.

The announcement ended a nation-wide search that included many quality candidates. FMU director of athletics Murray Hartzler said, “We are very excited that coach Pitt has chosen to accept our position, and we are confident that he will reestablish our program as a highly competitive regional power.”

Pitt comes to Florence after 10 seasons as an assistant coach at Kennesaw State University, the last four as associate head coach.

During his time with the Owls, KSU registered a 135-42-15 record and captured three Atlantic Sun Conference titles and two conference tournament championships. Kennesaw State earned bids to the 2007 and 2009 NCAA Division I tournaments.

He served as director of the KSU Soccer Camps and was a coach within the Georgia ODP system.

Prior to moving to Division I status, the Owls won the 2003 Division II national championship with Pitt on the sidelines.

“I see this as a fantastic opportunity and the chance to accomplish something big,” Pitt said. “The new soccer facility is great and the way the university is moving – this went from being a good job to a great job.

“Having spent 10 years in the Atlanta area, I feel as though I know the southeast region well in terms of recruiting and am familiar with most of the opponents we may face. I feel like I will be able to persuade student-athletes to take advantage of the great opportunity to attend Francis Marion.

“I want to thank (university president) Dr. (Fred) Carter and Murray for having the faith in me to extend this opportunity, and for entrusting the program to my guidance.”

Prior to joining the Kennesaw State staff, he was a teacher and head varsity girls’ coach for four years (1998-2002) at Thompson High School in Alabaster, Ala. He served as an assistant women’s coach at the University of Montevallo during the1997-98 season, while also spending four years each as the head varsity boys’ coach at Hoover (Ala.) High School and Huffman High School.

He also coached several club teams and within the Alabama ODP system.

Pitt earned a B.A. degree in history from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where he was a four-year letterwinner on the soccer team. He later received a Master’s in Education degree from Montevallo. He also played one season of semi-professional soccer for the Birmingham (Ala.) Grasshoppers.

Pitt becomes the fourth head coach in the program’s 17-year history, following Person, Marty Beall, and Hartzler. The Francis Marion women’s soccer program has an all-time record of 175-117-15, including 12 seasons of double-figure wins and an imposing 101-27-7 home record.
© SC Soccer