SC Soccer
Posted By: Kyle Heise Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/04/06 05:13 PM
1) In Germany live
2) Home
3) Local restaurant/bar/pub/taquieria
4) At a friend's house
5) Other

Please reply and explain.
Everyone but the first. Almost went to Germany if it wasn't for a delay in my friends passport.

2- Some 9am matches will be seen from the comfort of my bed

3- After watching the above matches I plan on watching the next part of the day's matches at my local British Pub.

4- Gonna watch a little WC action on a 60inch plasma tv at a friends house who happened to play for the US National Team.

5- Probably have to Podcast a few matches while I go to practice and listen to them on my IPod.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/04/06 05:40 PM
i will not move from my couch for a month!
Posted By: The Hammer Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/04/06 07:13 PM
where are the folks in Chucktown watching the games?
Posted By: goals66 Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/04/06 07:42 PM
2) home- 72 inch lcd
4) friends- viewing parties
First few matches will be from somewhere in Maine.. and somewhere in Maryland..

..a last minute roadtrip took precident over World Cup viewing comfort.. but i'll definitely be watching!
Posted By: Coach D Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/05/06 12:31 PM
HOME, Don't call during any game!
Does anyone know of PRIME spots in the Upstate, Midstate, and Lowerstate—such as eating/drinking establishments—who are advert'ing the showing of matches? Thought this might be a good forum to get the word out.

I have seen a sign at the Coronas on the east side of Spartanburg stating they will be showing matches.
Posted By: Bazza Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/05/06 06:33 PM
I will be watching all games on TV at home until the semi's. If England are in a semi I will be over there to watch. If they lose I will come home gutted. If they win I will stay on for the final.
I can't see that happening though and my credit card will be very grateful if it doesn't happen either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Reggaeboy Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/05/06 10:00 PM
Rotating homes with fellow coaches and at "work" for a few games.
In Heidleberg (sp) for Italy v. US match 25. I have tickets for the fan camp but not the stadium. I will be in Austria, two hour train trip to Nuremberg, for Ghana v. US. Still not tickets from the lottery. Anyone have tickets not going?
Posted By: maj17neb Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/07/06 09:10 AM
1) Depends on what country I'm in at the time. Most will either be in the Irish pubs here in Downtown Metz, France. I'll be in Berlin on the 16-19 of June. Might be in München on the 24 and 25th during the start of the 2nd round.
2) All other games will be probably be here on campus (Metz, France). Or the lounge in the dorms.

All the games are at 17:00 and later for me.
Check out the FSC Pub Guide for places to enjoy the World Cup, but also check out the players' wives and girlfriends! Who gets the most votes?
http://msn.foxsports.com/story/802702
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5655244?GT1=8297
--------------------------------------------------
A famous coach named Bill Shankly once said the following when asked if football is more important than life and death: "Listen, it's more important than that."
Comfort of my living room wearing out my recorder each and every day. My only detraction is the upcoming wedding on the 17th. Lord I hope I am marrying an understanding woman.
Posted By: Bazza Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/08/06 04:16 AM
Judt for your info, the world divorce rate spikes in the month after each World Cup tournament. That is a documented fact. Hope your wedding goes well.!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Bazza Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/08/06 04:31 AM
2004striker:
My top 3 are as follows:
1. Victoria Beckham
2. Trezeguets girlfriend
3. Owen's girlfriend.
Bazza,
Do you need my reading glasses?
Top 3 gotta be -
Sylie Van der Vaart
Cheryl Tweedy
Tim Weise's girlfriend
Cobi Jones' girlfriend
I don't know if anyone has seen this garbage.

Do not read unless you are prepared to be angered.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/columnists/14741693.htm

Here is the article:

Maybe non-fans do know soccer
If the government really is serious about identifying illegal immigrants, it soon will be provided a unique opportunity to record their whereabouts.

All the Department of Homeland Security has to do is monitor the city-by-city television ratings of this month's World Cup soccer tournament. Agents should be dispatched to any area in which the ratings reflect an unnaturally high level of interest. That likely signals a concentrated pocket of illegals.

No one who actually is from here cares about the most over-hyped, mind-numbingly boring event in the world. Nevertheless, ABC and ESPN will combine to broadcast all 64 games live and in high definition starting on Friday. High definition means that over the course of a 90-minute contest, both scoring chances can be viewed with crystal clarity.

There's no word yet on whether any of the games will be presented "commercial free." The networks usually make a big deal out of doing that. It's their way of telling us how important the World Cup is. Remember, there were no commercial interruptions when man first walked on the moon.

It makes sense, too. After 20-minute stretches of televised World Cup nothingness, an action-packed commercial definitely would seem intrusive.

Thirty years after soccer was supposed to be the next thing here, ESPN and ABC will attempt to "educate" as well as entertain American viewers during the World Cup, according to an article in Sunday's paper. The arrogance is astounding. The networks still are subscribing to the tired old chestnut that Americans aren't interested in soccer because we don't understand it.

All that tactical beauty is somehow slipping past us. We aren't smart enough to understand the nuances involved in the most popular game in the world.

In fact, just the opposite is true. We don't like soccer because we do understand it. And it's awful.

It's time to quit apologizing and tell the truth. When it comes to soccer, we're right, and the rest of the world is wrong. If they want to dance in the streets of Cameroon or Belgium over this stuff, fine. But the sport does not suit American taste, and we should stop feeling guilty about it.

Look, Americans are an industrious people. We use our hands. We catch footballs. We throw baseballs. We hit golf balls and tennis balls by gripping a piece of equipment. It is unnatural for us to put our hands behind our backs and try to "pass" a soccer ball to a teammate by bouncing it off our heads. We aren't circus seals, and no one is going to toss us a fish if we do it right.

It also offends our sense of fair play to watch a lone referee try to police an area the size of Rhode Island and then get blamed for the outcome by whichever team loses. And regardless of how passionate we are about our sports teams, we draw the line at pipe bombs.

Many spectators in soccer-crazed countries warm up for a big match by hitting their neighbor in the head with a brick. And as soon as little Nigel or Fiona is old enough, mum and dad take them out back and practice squishing them against a chain link fence.

No matter which country wins, rest assured that thousands will die in worldwide rioting. I'm going to pick up the satellite feed of The Hooligan Network, direct from Europe. They show split screen: the soccer game on one half, fans clubbing each other on the other.

Yes, America may be the only country that doesn't go goofy for soccer. We also are the only remaining super power. Don't you see a connection there?

In fairness, soccer is a great activity for little kids. It allows them to run around outside before their motor skills are fully developed and they can move onto something else. It's not bad at the high school level, either, because individual abilities vary greatly at that age, and weird play often occurs as a result.

Beyond that, it's unbearable. As the World Cup rolls around again, I refuse to apologize for saying I'd rather have a colonoscopy than watch a minute of it. Soccer is the rest of the world's problem. Let's not even fake it anymore.

Who cares if the French or Chinese think we are uncivilized? What's the big deal if opponents from the Middle East shake hands after a match? Their countries will be at each other's throats again the next day, anyway.

Perhaps ABC and ESPN will garner decent ratings when the tournament begins. For at least one government agency, the demographics of that audience could prove very interesting."

Tom Powers can be reached

at tpowers@pioneerpress.com.
Posted By: Bazza Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/07/06 06:05 PM
What a moron. I hope his doctor uses barbed wire at his next colonoscopy!
Posted By: Hurst66 Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/07/06 06:36 PM
I'll be heading up to Blaine, MN next month for the Schwan's USA Cup. Hope this guy is in the phone book, I may have to drop by for a visit.

Idiot!
Posted By: Bazza Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/07/06 06:59 PM
2004striker
I need glasses and you need a calculator. Your top 3 has 4 people in it!!
Yeah, the first thing was to teach stroker how to count...but then, what a freaking idiot!!!! I really want to punch that jerk in the mouth! Who is this jerk to classify all Americans that way? Those are certainly not my sentiments. Just becuase he is a knuckle dragging bufoon does not make him a writer nor a critic. How dare anybody publish that crap. The rest of the world see's junk like that and judges all Americans by it. Something needs to be done....and I have a spare week!
I've already emailed the jerk and I suggest you all do the same for the sake of the "beautiful game"!
Chuckie,
Remember you are just a bad actor. You cant hurt a flea.
Bazza,
So......maybe I couldn't keep it at just 3!
well maybe not a flea, but since this guy is lower on the food chain I can take him!
I think the best thing to do with this guy is to ignore him. Ignoring ignorant people will cause their ignorance to have little affect.
I just dont want him to breed and keep infecting the world with stupid people.
Posted By: Coach D Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/08/06 12:19 PM
It should be easy for this guy to remove his head from his rectum as he is so very narrow minded.
OK guys, this guy is not worth any more of our individual thought processes or time.
Back to more important World Cup issues-
Your top 3 or 4?
This was in our very own The State newspaper???? No way!!! But the very fact that The State has a link to the World Cup, is clear evidence that soccer in America is becoming more relevant each year. But anyway, check out the interactive stuff:
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate//sports/special_packages/world_cup/
Posted By: Kyle Heise Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/09/06 12:49 PM
Wild Hare Sports Cafe
The Vista - Columbia, SC
Saw about five minutes of Germany/Costa Rica from outside "Three Lobsters" in the Russia Wharf area of Boston.
Posted By: benp Re: Where are you watching the World Cup? - 06/10/06 04:00 AM
Goals66 70 tv. Now we just need to get him ESPN in HD...and everyone will want to come.
© SC Soccer