Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
We can debate all day what is best for SSC..They had a vote last year about this time and the membership decided to go at it alone with no help from one of the most successful clubs in the state..It seems to me that SSC wants to keep it local if you will...There's nothing wrong with that as long as you keep expectations realistic. There will be development there but what's going to keep players there that want more than local ball?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Just reading in from the outside, Ape...and factoring in some experience with similar circumstances...but it sounds like the real problem is that the 10% of pushy, controlling parents are the ONLY voices that are being heard. CharSoccer and some others have brought up concerns that lead me to believe that not all parents who wish to have input are like-minded; there has also been a group that supports putting team and development over individual concerns. What often happens, though, is that the people who expect the professionals to do their job do exactly what they feel they should be doing--letting the system operate without their direct interference--while the others are constantly bending the ear of management.

I would love to see SSC as a successful club that serves players in our area with good opportunities that are needed, and I hate to hear anyone talking about bailing out or spiraling collapse. SSC may not be the "all things for all people" club, rec through premier, but I think it can fill a very important role in enriching the soccer experience of young people in our area; I know there is a lot of pride and tradition there, and maybe that's what's needed to revitalize.

Just a thought...at a turning point...could the stakeholders in the club--not the 10%, but the majority--come together to communicate with management clear expectations of what they want the club to accomplish? Not micromanaging. Not choosing coaches. Not picking who gets on what team and who plays at what level. Just a simple, straightforward, "If we are to continue investing in this club as stakeholders, these are our priorities as to what we want the club to accomplish. We expect you as professionals to have the expertise and drive to make this happen in the way you think is best."

I think the only way to get these ideas across to management is to let them know that the vocal few are NOT necessarily representative of the opinions of the majority...sometimes people make decisions based on the influences knocking on their door, not from independently observing the big picture.

Just a thought...maybe it's been tried...but you're never really beaten until you quit trying and give up.

I've got good news and bad news...
C
Coach
Coach
C
CHT...true statement. Maybe if SSC is to be run like a business, the first thing to do is to choose a target demographic that will be the focus of its services--the demographic that will most likely serve the larger demand and bring the most into the club, because it takes resources to provide resources--then make decisions accordingly to best serve the wants and needs of that group. As the club grows in that capacity and acquires more resources, it can expand its offerings as the capabilities of the club grow with its success.

C
bench
OP Offline
bench
C
I agree you need the club to run like a bussenss but now the club has decided to cater to the few not the mass. Many parnts and players are looking to leave SSC. Lets say the flood gates many be opening. I think my self, like others, are sick of the I'll scrach your back if you scrach mine that SSC has taken on. They had a 3year agreement with CESA and in April were relist by CESA. Maybe CESA did nothing, but all we saw was Eddie who at times decide not to tlak to Board Members or parnts and made one bad choice after another. He thorough the Coaches under the bus and tried to blame them for his misstakes. SSC has decide that a small rich few should make decion and that money not talent or effort should mean everything. They need a soccer person. Is there a way to right that kind of ship?

C
Coach
Coach
C
CS...do you think the money of the few can keep the club going if the masses become disillusioned? Maybe it's time to put all the cards on the table...it's easy to lean toward the "conditional" money when you can assume the silent majority are a given, not a resource that can be lost. Maybe it's not all money...I have no idea...but it seems it will take everyone leaning in the same direction to right a tilting ship, and I'd like to believe it's a ship worth righting.

C
bench
OP Offline
bench
C
I too think it's worth righting but last year we were told give us this year to fix things and 3 to 5 years to be on top. Nothing got better. Now we are being told again 3 to 5 years by someone less competent. My kids don't have 3 to 5 years for them to fix problems every year. The kids aren't having fun. Why not say all Academy, Classic and Challenge players move to a different club and let’s start over with Rec and Micro. At lest be honest to the parents for a change. Hire a Rec. person at lest. You can fix it all with 2 part timers. Micro and Rec. kids are unhappy. I hate to say SSC need hit rock bottom or droned before they can right this ship. The board doesn’t want to hear from the masses. The proof is: Who is running for the board this year? How can you run for a board spot? It's the best keep secrete at SSC.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Anyone can apply to serve on the board..Most clubs have to coax members to join..If the board members are all on the same page then it will take a few seasons to out the old and bring it the new..but what will be their agenda? Their kids..Doing what is best for a club and what is in the best interest of my child could be two different things..
When the new DOC took over last year he could of set a new theme at SSC by taking on not just a boys team but a girls team also..That would of sent a message of change for SSC..That did not happen..I hope the best for SSC but until players are put first I don't see much change.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Board meeting next week on the 29th..Maybe CS and those parents that are leaving might want to lay it out on the table for the board members..If I was leaving I would get it off my chest..Correction..Even if I was'nt leaving I would get it off my chest

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 04/26/09 10:11 PM.
brace
brace
Just to weigh in on the concept of in club soccer that the parents are the customers. . .IF a customer is paying for expertise, and then tells that expert what to do, then that is a waste of $$$. When we go to our medical doctors, we are paying them to be experts. . .if we ignore or change what they prescribe and we do not get well or get worse. . .we have failed in our role of customer. In cases of EXPERTISE, "the customer is always right" does not apply. . .The role of consumer is monolithic. . .

"Living well's the best revenge." r.e.m.
S
bench
bench
S
Eddie was a mistake but the SSC has moved on and hired an advocate for the girls in Gail Osbourne. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with her Pinewood association. And please ChasSoccer - your comment about PPS's average program is way off base. PPS has a great program. The boys have won four state championships in a row. The girl's team will likely have their first state title this year and are ranked 5th in the state (public or private). I just wish Summerville, Fort and Ashley Ridge were more involved.
You should consider the free hard work and time that it takes to run an underfunded program. I know there are a few that are bitter and not objective right now but try to walk (or work) in the SSC's shoes.
Your idea that the board parents look after their own interest has a positive result. Lets assume you are right that one parent was upset about their kid's PT. The parent creats a stir and talks to the other parents about how bad you are as a coach to try to get you fired. My argument would be that if you were a good coach the parents would dismiss the parent and the team goes on - however, if everyone agreed that the coach was in over his or her head, the parents might complain as a group and the coach would be replaced. The end result is that the club would have a better coach for the paying customer's money.
Club is different than High School of course and the same rules don't apply. The HS coach usually has a passion for the game, doesn't have a kid on the team and has the expertise to make the right descions. As your kids get older the best kids will play in HS and Club. By the way, I'm not on the board, I'm just defending them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard