Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Rather than attempt to highlight about 48 matches that look to be matches of interest this week, I chose rather to take a shot at some of the biggest surprises of 2009 in girls soccer. I'm sure I'll miss about a dozen, and at least half of the ones I do list will contact incorrect factual data, but I'll try.

Note: nothing on this list should highlight a team that hasn't lived up to expectations, or highlight a team in a negative sense.

Surprises of 2009

1.) The lack of posts/hype concerning a very strong Fort Mill squad.

2.) The emergence of Rock Hill as a play-off contender in Region IV.

3.) Hillcrest's improvement, and ability to play with anyone in Region II, and be ranked in the state for over half of the season (and counting).

4.) The rain out of the majority of matches in the Viking Cup Easley Greenwave Cup.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
How about the emergence of Pinewood Prep into a power in the state this season?

They have risen to 5th in the all-classes ranking. They won the Brookland Cayce tournament without allowing a goal and their only loss was to Airport in that rain-shortened game in the Airport Tournament.

The influx of a few of the Wando kids over the last couple of seasons has turned Pinewood into a power and there is no reason to believe that it won't continue as kids on the Bridge team and other Charleston area clubs learn about Pinewood from their current club teammates. This could very well lead to more talent at Pinewood in the very near future.

World Cup
World Cup
I think 5th is too high, but you are right - there is no denying their emergence as a power. They'd hang in any classification of the public schools.

Brace
Brace
Looks like RH and Lancaster will come down to the tie-breaker (whatever) that is for the final Region 3 spot. Rock Hill still fighting hard even thought lost one of the better defenders at beginning of yr with broken ankle and another key player mid-season. Does anyone know the Region 3 tie breaker?

Fort Mill has a very solid team and continually test themselves against top NC squads. Lacking that pure scorer but seem to be getting it from a variety of solid players. And agree, don't seem to get press or attention they deserve.

Still think Clover could be a sleeper before all said and done.

Overall, impressed by all the dog fights going on in the regions. Very competitive. Playoffs should be very interesting and enjoyable.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

I think 5th is too high, but you are right - there is no denying their emergence as a power. They'd hang in any classification of the public schools.

I also think 5th is too high. I think closer to 10th is probably more realistic. I have seen both teams multiple times and I think a healthy Hilton Head High team is better than Pinewood.

corner kick
corner kick
Fort Mill Lady Jackets Stealth Soccer...flying under the radar

Doin' it the hard way...
corner kick
corner kick
Psst...Import...You're in region 4 now

Doin' it the hard way...
F
goal
OP Offline
goal
F
Fort Mill, Clover, and Nation Ford have ALL flown stealth this year.

Clover tied Eastside and beat Byrnes recently. They will be a tough opponent come playoff time.

Nation Ford, I don't even think they've had a post that focused on them in 2009, and their losses to top teams have been close. Another tough team to face if you are Blythewood, Spring Valley, or Ridge View.

The match-ups from top to bottom between Regions III and IV in AAAA look much tighter than the top to bottom match-ups between Region I and II.

L
bench
bench
L
How about White Knoll? They had 1 regular season win in the last 2 years and look to make the playoffs this season coming out of one of the toughest regions in the state. I think that's a pretty amazing turn around.

goal kick
goal kick
Is there any news about Abby's injury that was reported in the game against Prep?

Relax...breathe,then bust it!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard