Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
coach
coach
S
>>[Steve] So, Coach P, would it be a fair assessment to say that SCYSA is or is NOT serving the best interest of your team and it's player? Is SCYSA looking to serve or be served? Are the SCYSA representatives really meeting the needs/demands of the state's youth by being as inclusive as possible? ...offering multiple ways to promote player development, retention and promotion? Or do their personal prejudices cloud the actual goal(s)/mission of the association?<<

I know that I can at times be critical of the SCYSA so let me take a different point of view on this. I believe that the SCYSA's mission, to promote, develop, and administer youth soccer, is taken seriously by the SCYSA BOD. I believe that the question might be what is the priority order of the terms "promote", "develop", and "administer" -- and in what context do these occur?

First, the context. The SCYSA is not in the business of promoting, developing, and administering youth soccer outside of the bounds of the SCYSA/USYSA framework itself. And it's hard to fault them for that. After all, if they're trying to promote, develop, and administer youth soccer in the AYSO, YMCA, USCS, or millions of other leagues then they're going to do an awfully poor job of it since they don't have the resources [in the form of fees] to do that. So the SCYSA operates within the SCYSA/USYSA framework. Makes sense to me.

Secondly, the prioritization of the mission. After watching the SCYSA for a few years, it appears to me that they are first and foremost focused on administering youth soccer. I perceive that the promotion and development of youth soccer is seen as a club responsibility rather than an SCYSA responsibility. Please note that by this I mean the "primary responsibility" -- I think that the SCYSA does some things to promote and develop youth soccer, it just doesn't have their highest priority like administration seems to have in their minds. And again, this focus on administration is within their own SCYSA/USYSA framework.

Thus, it's hard to fault the SCYSA for any personal prejudices clouding their mission -- I think that they just see their mission to be more focused on administration within their SCYSA/USYSA membership. Specifically, in this case, it seems as if you/we want a truly open South Carolina tournament, then you/we need to create one. The SCYSA isn't standing in the way -- they just aren't doing anything to make it happen.

>>Also, I agree with striker04...Columbia makes too much sense? Why doesn't the SCYSA look to collaborate with USC potentially to host the state cup. I'm not actually talking about the mens or women's program, but with the University. They've just constructed 2 or 3 brand new soccer fields on campus, plus the other ones available for student and athlete use? Again, this is hypothetical... and may not even be possible?<<

As an ex-student and ex-employee of USC, here's what confuses me -- when you say "collaborate with USC" what exactly do you mean? Sorenson? He's a great guy and all, but he's got what he perceives as much bigger fish to fry. The athletic department? They care a bit more than Sorenson [I can hear the growing chant -- football, football, football...], but it's going to be awfully hard to get on their radar let alone do a deal with them. Smith/Berson? I know you rejected them, but this is the first place where people actually care at USC -- and these folks would probably rather do a top-flight regional event than anything state-related since the majority of their players are from premier programs [and in fact are from out of state.]

And I'm not sure why you'd want to collaborate with USC. I would think that Lexington County's Gibson fields have many more fields, resources, parking, etc. than USC. The same goes with Manchester Meadows or a number of other areas. USC is relatively "soccer resource poor" when compared to many or even most of the major municipalities and/or counties.

If you/we decide to create an open tournament, then I'd think that I'd rather build an alliance with a few major clubs in the state together with one or more of the major soccer complexes.

Now -- that's just my point of view -- and I could really be missing something here -- so if I am I hope someone will explain it to me. I have one question. Let's say you/we create an open tournament. Who is coming? Is it recreation and classic only [I don't know of any challenge or premier teams that aren't affiliated with the SCYSA/USYSA]? If so, do you perceive that recreation teams are going to travel an hour and a half [I'm assuming it's held in Columbia] to go to this tournament? In other words, do you really perceive that there is a pent-up demand for this?

Because basically what I perceive you're doing is calling out an alternative to the American and Classic Cup structure of the SCYSA; one which is open to everyone in the state regardless of affiliation. I think your idea has some real promise; I'm just trying to understand what you [and others] perceive the demand for it to be.

S
kick off
kick off
S
Chico,
Great points and information. I've followed your post(s) for quite some time and you have a tremendous amount of insight and information for one to process. It's great discussion and really allow for thought and reflection.
I know that I can at times be critical of the SCYSA so let me take a different point of view on this. I believe that the SCYSA's mission, to promote, develop, and administer youth soccer, is taken seriously by the SCYSA BOD. I believe that the question might be what is the priority order of the terms "promote", "develop", and "administer" -- and in what context do these occur?
and again I guess that ultimately my question. As I've viewed you posts regarding the decline in SCYSA numbers, their many laws and bylaws restrict Clubs develop, etc...yet, there inlies the confusion...where is their proirity?
Again as you state above that their mission is to allow the Club(s) to promote player development, yet in recent postings (and noted board minutes) from you and others...the case is just the opposite? I understand your explaination of the "framework" and appreciate the insight, but if their administration is their highest priority...why is the approach/thoughts/actions so narrow when their "Mission" is so global?

Again, above, great questions regarding the USC stuff. I just offered a potential solution due to the "red-tape" regarding "alliances v partnerships" etc... just sounded like more of a hassle than a neutral site. As far as contacts go...it would certainly behoove SCYSA to include Berson and Smith. That is a great point, actually, and should be step one, really. Again, the question(s) posed were alternative(s) to clubs, possibly. Now as far as volunteers go...man, how many kids at USC need community service hours through class, projects, etc... I'm sure if SCYSA had a contact in the Physical Ed. Dept...there would be plenty of student's willing to sign up? Maybe? Maybe not?
FInally, "who's coming" ....really in my perception regarding this post would be classic-challenge/premier level teams using state cup as a spring board for regionals and nationals. As far as rec/american/tide whatever cups goe...it really should be a "regional" (upper,middle,lower) run tournament. You're right...I'm not going to drive my rec level player from Goose Creek to Columbia and I'm gathering not many others would. Plus, other than revenue...I agree with you question regarding demand...is it really there and needed?

S
bench
bench
S
Now that it is October, do we have any news yet about the whereabouts State Cup may be other than "Coastal District"?

R
kick off
kick off
R
Summerville Soccer Club

N
corner kick
corner kick
N
Summerville and James Island is what I understand.

P
corner kick
corner kick
P
Has state cup ever been held at two different venues before?

C
throw in
throw in
C
From the SCYSA web page, "The fall 2005 State Cups were played November 19-20 and December 3-4. The classic and American cup competitions were held in Greenville at the Pittman, Wenwood and MESA soccer complexes and the Challenge Cup held at the MESA complex."

So having both SSC and JIYSC as a location/venue, is not something new. Chances are, the challenge cup which has a certain fixed game requirement will be at only 1, like it was last year.

G
throw in
throw in
G
perhaps similar to last spring. challenge cup was at CESA fields and other stuff was at Easley.

hat-trick
hat-trick
From the SCYSA website:

SCYSA Fall 2006 State Cups
Fall 2006 American Cup (recreation)U15 - U19 and the Fall 2006 Presidents Medal Cup (classic) U15 - U18 will be held in the coastal district at the James Island and Summerville Soccer Complexes November 10,11,12, 2006. The American Cup will be played at the James Island Complex and the Presidents Medal Cup will be played at both the James Island and Summerville Complex. Applications will be available on Wednesday October 11.

The Fall 2006 Challenge Cup will be held at the Summerville Complex December 9 - 10, 2006.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard