Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
B
Hurst66:
Nice to hear from you. I've beem here and there and everywhere!! That's probably the best goal Gary Neville will ever score for England!!

WhoDaresWins
S
bench
bench
S

Two Points: My teenager would like to referee more on off days but is often not assigned. Also, based on the recert. calendar will have a hard time getting 2007 license since the dates occur during State Cup and school holiday weekends. Last year we drove two hours to get the recertification.

coach
coach
Sports,
If he is not assigned he should contact his Assignor on a frequent basis. The re-cert clinics are offered throughout the year -http://www.scref.org/Referees/Calendar.htm

Last edited by 2004striker; 10/25/06 08:13 PM.
Goal
Goal
My daughter had the same problem. Got certified and had to buy an officials uniform, whistle, etc. and didn't even get assigned enough to make her investment back.

Victory Starts Here!
coach
coach
Here is a list of all the state assignors. E-mail or call them. http://www.scref.org/Referees/Assignors.htm

S
bench
bench
S
Yes, we are registered under www.arbiter.net and have even responded to calls for refs. After buying a quality red ref shirt this season, we are back in the hole. Why should we have to contact the assignor frequently if we're on the list?

goal kick
goal kick
I was at the Mt Pleasant Showcase this weekend and started at least two top flight U18 games with only two referees and one with a club line who also was the field marshall.

Where are the referees? gone to do other things especially the young referees that start early. They are now dating or dong other activities that involve friends or they have other jobs where they do not get verbal abuse from the customers.

As for talking to parents, coaches and players. A good referee will talk to players throughout the match. And they should do this. Often by talking they can keep the match under control without the use of cards.

As for parents I know a referee the almost always introduces himself to the parents and tells them that everyone at the game is there for the players on the field. That they should positively support their team. He gives his name and lets them know that it is not moron idiot or any other name they have call referees in the past. He also tells them to call him by name but no matter what they yell he has never changed a call because of a parent yelling. He thanks them for coming and lets them know that he will work hard to give the players a well refereed game.

I think by doing this it sets the tone of the game.

Not sure that I really answered the question but I try to get out myself and do as much as possible but I do like to watch my childern play.

Hey, it's not rocket surgery!
coach
coach
sports,
I believe in the direct approach. The assignors already know a lot of the refs and what they can and cannot do. I would be very direct in an e-mail or phone call that your daughter has taken the step to become certified and you expect her to now receive assignments so she can become experienced. Younger refs are desparately needed cause a lot of the refs are getting old.

S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Is there a site where all referrees are listed. Per state?

Last edited by soccersmylife; 10/27/06 01:43 PM.
S
coach
coach
S
Okay...so in reading all of this, a reasonable person (or even me!) comes to the following thoughts:

We have a referee issue. Reasons:

1) There aren't enough referees in total.
2) There aren't enough referees available when games are played.
3) Assignors aren't doing their job.

Several questions:

a) Anything I'm missing?

b) To get more referees and referees available, don't you just pay more (e.g., supply and demand)? If you can't get a referee for a game, or you need an "emergency" referee, can't you handle that in your pay structure?

c) Doesn't this whole "assignor" thing scream out for a simple web-based application or is it more complicated than that?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard