Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
World Cup
World Cup
It feels a little better (not much ) if you divide them into upper, mid, and lower state regions. Outside of the Charleston area, high quality AAAA teams are hard to find (not nonexistant, just harder to find!). Columbia and it's surrounding areas, plus Aiken, Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, and Fort Mill all happen to reside in the middle to upwards parts of the state. Outside of Florence and Charleston, there aren't too many soccer AAAA schools. Lowerstate coaches help select the list every bit as much as the upperstate coaches so it's not as we Yankees are conspiring. Like Kyle said, it's all on the coaches...and I've been as guilty as the next guy in the past. Sometimes it just takes a little experience. Some guys get thrust into the job b/c they can't find anyone else to do it. Happened at Hanna not too long ago. We'll get to the level of football soon enough.

I know AAA has Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head area to help balance the representation.

J
goal kick
goal kick
J
Last night at the Hilton Head - Myrtle Beach game, the HH AD asked me what the proceedure was for naming the All-State team. When I explained it to him, he said that is not the way it is done in basketball. Unfortunately, Region 7 AAA did not have anyone representing the region. The nominated person is no longer coaching at Bluffton High and I tried to pass that information along.

However, it still falls to the coach to nominate a player as the rules state. Hopefully, next year the Hilton Head coaches will nominate some well deserving players who will be coming back.

B
bench
bench
B
Isn't it the responsibility of the HHHS AD to know the rules of all the sports, not just basketball?

S
kick off
kick off
S
Lowerstate ranked teams. Beside Wando and Summerville. Where girls nominated from the other ranked schools and not selected? Or where they just not nominated by their schools? If they just weren't nominated by their schools then that's just a shame.

Goal
Goal
I know that this is the girls forum, but FWIW, I'd like to weigh in on this all-state debate (boys and girls) as well. I take issue with the following all-state selections:

4A Boys
Dorman should only have Autenzio; IMO Acosta and Valencia as sophomores better be every bit as good as Enzo Martinez or Sebastian Velasquez as those are quality and deserving underclassmen all-state picks; Sean Flynn's unfortunate legal troubles go against what was stated above; Who is Hellberger?; Two from Irmo???; Three from Dutch Fork; Only 8 seniors on the team.

3A Boys
Adam Crysel, a junior from Wilson; no Byron Quintoa from Dreher?; nobody from Myrtle Beach?

2A Boys
7 Bishop England players - I know they're good, but 7!!! Nobody from Batesburg-Leesville? How about the GK? Were they not nominated? What coaches picked this team?

1A Boys
No Terence Deas??? How can you make the NC/SC all-star game and not be 1A!!!! all-state?; wth? A sophomore from Blackville-Hilda??? A junior from Indian Land??? A junior from Bamberg-Ehrhardt??? All picked ahead of Deas? Are you kidding me?

4A Girls
Looks like these coaches got it right although I agree with Chico on the following girls:

* Olivia Urig, Wando: Probably the most notable player left off of the list due to her team's strength and the fact that only one Wando player made the list; played for the team ending up being the state finalist which had only a single player make the all-state list. Urig is a tough, physical midfielder who is clearly one of the better players in the state and in my opinion deserved to be on the list.

* Ashleigh Sheets, Fort Mill: Clearly the leading offensive player for a strong Fort Mill team, Sheets started almost all of the offense and was a strong contributor to the defense from her midfield position. Sheets is clearly one of the better players in the state and in my opinion deserved to be on the list.

* Erica Deahl, Lexington: The keeper who led a Lexington defense that was stingy with goals all year. On a defense that at times can show its youth and can have lapses, Deahl reminded me of the reason that you pay airline pilots a lot of money -- while 99% of the time the job of the airline pilot is boring, you pay for those several minutes were the pilot rescues you from absolute calamity. Deahl did an outstanding job this year and in my opinion deserved to be on the

3A Girls
Shame on the Hilton Head coach for not nominating his girls as I'm sure that they have 2-3 that were previously mentioned in the other threads that would be all-state caliber. By beating Airport and B-C, you certainly think that they have the quality players. Also only one from Myrtle Beach seemed odd.

2A/1A Girls
Surprised to see two all-state freshmen! I hope they're the real deal or this is a gross overestimation of ability. Almost unfair to tab a young lady as "that good" and have her have to live up to it for the next three years. Two from Gilbert??? Maybe one for their good season, but not two!

I know it's not an easy process, but you really wonder how much homework the coaches do prior to picking the teams. The idea is to get the best players and after reviewing the lists, I think they're are some coaches pushing their own agendas.

Victory Starts Here!
L
goal kick
goal kick
L
I just want to make a point about one of your comments (even though this discussion about boys has no place on the girls forum).

Byron Quintoa is undoubtedly a great player. He is made much more visible by playing on a very successful team. Adam Crysel is also a great player, but no one on this board has heard of him because he plays for a good, but not great, team. Adam also does not get the visibility through the club system, because he chooses to play locally. However, playing in a weak division does not make him a weak player. He was the region player of the year, which means at least 6 coaches thought he was a good candidate for All State. Honestly, I have no idea how he stacks up to Quintoa, and it's unlikely that we'll ever see them on the same pitch together. Obviously, the coaches who have seen Adam play have been impressed.

There are over 750 players at each level. Picking 18 of them as "the best" is always going to result in some controversy. However, it seems that most of the controversy surrounds players from the best teams that were not picked.

Very few of the 50 teams in any given level are represented on the All State list. I'm sure that many teams have a player that can be considered a candidate for this list. There is very likely a star player on many teams that haven't won a game, and these players will never have a fair chance to make All State. I'm just happy that the selection committee is looking beyond the powerhouse teams. I don't think that this is indicative of "some coaches pushing their own agendas." In fact, I think that this indicates that the selection committee has indeed "done their homework" and investigated alternatives to the traditional powerhouse teams.

How boring it would be if the whole soccer community unanimously agreed with these subjective decisions...

Last edited by lurker; 05/10/07 05:56 AM.
P
bench
bench
P
Absolutely ridiculous that there are only two lower state players in 4A! Who are the coaches representing the lower state on the all-state committee? Emily Luna and the younger Kellum sister from Dutch Fork, Molly Wittig and Kitty Tryon from Spring Valley, and Cheryl Jennings from Ridge View should all be on the 4A All-state team. I don't know the character of the DF players. I know the other three girls are tops in their classes and they are role models in their schools. I can't believe Molly didn't make roster for all-state and the Clash. She is one of the top defensive mids in the state. She signed to play with Alabama. How many other seniors on those rosters are going to play D1?

World Cup
World Cup
Selection committee's are only aware of the information provided/submitted by the coach.

S
kick off
kick off
S
4A Girls
Looks like these coaches got it right although I agree with Chico on the following girls:

Only if those were the only girls nominated.

K
kick off
kick off
K
I've heard that James Island also did not turn in nominations - the deadline was missed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard