Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Giggs Offline OP
throw in
OP Offline
throw in
G
Congratulations to the CESA teams mentioned in the following Greenville News article.

Thursday, June 21 | Upstate South Carolina News, Sports and Information
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CESA teams head for regional tournament

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 2:00 am

By Ed McGranahan
STAFF WRITER
emcgrana@greenvillenews.com

Eight teams affiliated with the Carolina Elite Soccer Academy of Greenville will compete at the U.S. Youth Soccer Region III Championships this month in Oklahoma City, Okla.

The region is comprised of teams from 11 states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas and Tennessee.

Texas is represented by two teams -- designated North and South -- and five of the CESA teams will open against intensely competitive North Texas.

"Any time you draw the North Texan teams, they're usually pretty good," said CESA co-executive director Pearse Tormey. "They've been there, they've won and they know how to win.
Advertisement

"Sometimes our kids get a little bit over-awed, maybe, with just that name."

Tormey said that despite the "tough draw," CESA teams have been competitive with the Texans.

"We've beaten one or two and we've tied one or two over the last couple of years," he said, "so there's no reason that we can't do it again."

Tormey said the club has shown well over the past year in the premier league against teams from Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and North Carolina.

"At first, we were just happy to be in it," he said. "This past year our 16 boys won that league, our 18 girls were second in the league and our 14 boys were second in the league.

"Now some of our teams are finishing in the top four or five consistently, so we're right there."

Preliminary games at the regional are scheduled June 29 through July 2; semifinals are July 3, and the championships are July 4. CESA teams will compete in Under-14 Boys, U15 Boys, U16 Boys, U19 Boys, U14 Girls, U15 Girls, U17 Girls and U18 Girls.

Regional winners U14 through U19 earn berths to the U.S. Youth Soccer National Championships in suburban Dallas, July 24-29.

Compounding the difficulty of the journey for South Carolina teams, Tormey said, is that with high school season in the spring, the club teams haven't been together regularly since December.

"You'd love to have an easier draw the first one or two games to try to get back into that rhythm, to get you into that speed of play," Tormey said. "And you would hope that you get better as the week goes on because you've got to win six games to win the region.

"That's tough for anybody, whether you're from Dallas or Georgia or South Carolina."

Last edited by Giggs; 06/21/07 07:04 PM.
C
bench
bench
C
Great article...CESA just has great directors, coaches, which make the players win the State championships! Good luck to all the CESA teams going to Oaklahoma!!

World Cup
World Cup
I love "Oaklahoma"

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
GLUB, GLUB, GLUB

That is "Oaklahoma" drowning.... 18 days of rain.... my goodness.

H
brace
brace
H
the rain broke long enough to get some fun in.oklahoma city is actually a very nice and clean city.everyone is so friendly it starts to get on your nerves.they all follow the speed limits.they have an area called bricktown that is resturants and bars.the hooters was small."i mean the bar and grill".went to the oklahoma city memorial.if you are ever near it you have to see it.it will amaze you what that fool did with the ryder truck.the museum is great but to see all the chairs at night will choke you up.went to the cowboy hall of fame.it was so big we spent over four hours in it.the best meal i had was there.a 9 dollar buffet that was awsome.
the local amerisuits/marriott lobby turned into the local south carolina bar at night.i really enjoyed giving the columbia dads a hard time about wearing clemson shirts.
did manage a few hours in norman at the OU campus.that sooner stadium is awsome.national championship signs on the press box make you understand where you are standing.

world cup
world cup

I think your Gamecocks will win a national championship on the gridiron before OU wins another!

Nice to see you had a good time and that your girls had a good showing.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
H
brace
brace
H
there was one question left to be answered from oklahoma.that is who goes to the red dot store the most?columbia,greenville,or charleston people.it looked like a close race to me.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
I thought it would have been..."who got to the laundry room quicker?" now that was a race.

Also best steak in town...Cattlemen's cafe...

Best Rib eye I have had in years

H
brace
brace
H
that motel made a ton in the laundry room.dollar a wash and a dollar for the drier.i used a pocket full of quarters.

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
The one we stayed at, misteriously went up to 1.25 from one day to the next....HMMMMMMM..... supply and demand lesson in here somewhere

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard