Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
bench
bench
E
Players in all sports talk trash you expect that. You do not expect a person in the press box to lean out of it and yell racial slurs and other abusive language.

corner kick
corner kick
BTW
Is calling a group of people "Bigots" a racial slur?

Achmed must ask the "deep" questions.

"Silence, I kill you!" - Achmed the Dead Terrorist
brace
brace
I used to play when people didn't trash talk either in games, in school very often, or at home. I admit it was a long time ago.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
S
throw in
throw in
S
Children are like Parrot,s they repeat what they hear.At home at school on the soccer field.If you hear bad words enough you will think it,s ok to use them.

sancho
N
bench
bench
N
Two seasons ago, my foreign exchange student played soccer for his local high school. We had the unfortunate experience of playing against Easley at Easley. Somehow, Easley's team and fans were aware that there was an exchange student and his country of origin (Germany). My exchange SON, was called "Nazi" by fans and players alike. The Hispanics were also called many deragatory remarks, and there were those select adults (one faculty member included) that found this type of heckling quite hilarious.
I'm proud to say that our team kept it together, as they are quite used to the slurs and language that gets tossed their way (and I'm sure they aren't always angels themselves). I moved to sit with the students being so rude, and let them know quietly that the exchange student belonged to me, and if they didn't stop, I would let whatever school official was in attendance know. All things said, not much was done at the game concerning the behavior of the students. I later wrote an email to Easley's school principal and outlined the situation to her. She assured me this was an isolated incident and she would handle it.
It saddens me to see that this still happens, and continues at Easley despite one parent's complaints.

H
goal
goal
H
Quote:

BTW
Is calling a group of people "Bigots" a racial slur?

No.

brace
brace
neen- sad

Last edited by Retired, Old, and Happy; 04/18/08 03:30 PM.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
M
corner kick
corner kick
M
When I was younger and played basketball (at a high level) trash talking was rampant but I never did it...didn't want to give the opponent any more motivation and I usually got in the last word with my play. I always loved shutting up the trash talker with my play.

My son went to a HS basketball camp this summer (as a 6th grader) and the counselors were teaching trash talking and getting on the players who weren't doing it. The head coach (a respect5ed one I'm sure) said he wasn't aware of what was going on.

W
goal kick
goal kick
W
heckling is part of all sports probably even in curling and fencing. ugliness has no place in sports yet it caused france to lose the world cup to the ugly italians. would anyone in italy give back the cup because their player was obviously talkling below the line? as our society becomes more polarized and we forget that we are a melting pot it will only get worse. when we stop admiring our neighbors who endured amazing hardships to get to this country and refer to them as illegals and..., we have lost our focus as a nation. at the same time, if players on the field allow their play to be effected by trash talking from players or fans, it will only get worse. players need to be deaf and dumb while on the field and let their feet do their talking. as denzel washington said in remember the titans to his defense, "shut them up" with your play. the way to stop this ugliness is to never allow it to make u react like zidane did. a soft answer turns away wrath. talk with your feet and smile in the face of adversity and make them pay for their words with your play. as some one else said in another setting, never let them c u sweat. before games we alwyas talk about talking with our feet, for as we all have been taught, actions speak louder than words, so talk with your actions and leave the foolish talk to the fools on the pitch and in the stands. nuff said

Goal
Goal
This is mainly a question but what can be done about parents who verbally abuse an opposing team's player? I was present during the Gilbert at Barnwell game tonight and it was a very intense game. Officiating was questionable many times but the game was fun to watch. After the game, a Gilbert fan yelled out a certain player's number and said, "You SUCK!!!" Gilbert's keeper did very well but also tried to instigate something with another Barnwell player. Is there anything that can keep these kids and fans from being able to do this freely without consequence?

Last edited by SK197; 04/19/08 02:34 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard