Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
W
throw in
throw in
W
Quote:

...but that football team is terrible!

Right...but those soccer girls on the powderpuff team, dominate!!!

World Cup
World Cup
I believe it!

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
Being new to this site, reading alot of posts and being a Charleston outsider brings a unique perspective that. All DOCs have some distrust to them because any agreement or merger has to involve taking care of their personal financial interest/job security first and foremost and already the kids are suffering.

When a DOC complains and stresses developing the bottom first is because they can't develop quality at the top so its then easier to degrade the better clubs for not caring. Come on, SoccerDOC!

There are quality coaches to hire down in your area for a unified Lowcontry club but be careful because there seems to be a consensus the ones from clubs such as Charleston United, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, etc are not the answer since they've proven to not being able to facilitate a complete program from U8-U18.

Up here CUFC has done a decent job and of course CESA seems to be rolling.

brace
brace
Quote:

Quote:

The quarterback on the powderpuff team is always the best female athlete in the school.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset
W
throw in
throw in
W
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The quarterback on the powderpuff team is always the best female athlete in the school.

Not at our school! The softball players have the good arm for that. I'm partial, but I think the best female athlete's are on the soccer team.

S
Goal
Goal
S
Quote:

Although, the more energy clubs could spend on developing the bottom end of the pyramid we would not be worried about what's not happening at the top.

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner.

Finally, in all the bandwidth devoted to talking about the elite players, teams and clubs, someone finally discovers the holy grail of what's wrong with soccer in SC. It's like the Henny Penny children's story....everyone wants to eat the cake but no one wants to do the hard work to plow the field, seed it, water it, weed the field, nurture the young plants, etc......

Last edited by Soccer Watcher; 05/01/08 01:35 PM.
I
goal
goal
I
some folks do that, but the glory and recoginition goes to the elite teams. I would rather see a sound coach and a small group of classic players working on their game, than a pyramid where you just pick the best and not have to coach. I had the pleasure last night of having a conversation with like minded folks on this topic. Fun to have a conversation where egos are not involved.

K
goal kick
goal kick
K
You still need a unified organization for youth development. Because the top players even at 6-8, need to train with the other top 6-8 players. And even if the five Charleston clubs had properly developed players at those ages, there still comes the point where the next level of development is needed: all those best of the five clubs then come together. And there's the prolbem: no one can decide what club gets that group? who coaches it?

Example, there are a bunch of good young U10-12 female players that are splintered on various teams. For their best interest, they need to come together immediately and not waste time on their development.

Why not go to the CofC staff, a neutral party with great Region ODP coaches, and ask them to train the top players? My daughter got recruited by them and they haven't been bound with a specific club for a few years.

We use the USC staff as much as possible to facilitate training and clinics at CUFC. Just an idea.

I
goal
goal
I
other top players at 6-8 that is so funny...

Why do most world cup players have a birthday in Jan, Feb, or March, 1/2 of them, with a tiny percent in Oct, Nov, Dec. Because the science of picking kids who are elite is such a crap shoot, the biggest get the most training and low and behold they become the best players. Duh

"Not waste time on their development"? are you kidding me...
That is what we need to do... we have to train the masses or SC will always get its rear torn off by North Carolina etc.

My youngest has been on a U14 classic team for three seasons now, she is a U12 (now), there are ways to get the kids challenged, and prepaired. I will take her with your elite, today... She loves to play and has done so with 6 different teams, due to her ability to cross age groups

really the whole thing is almost a Joke. Go to ODP, you see a bunch of rich folks watching their kids. This one guy comes in a Mercedes mini bus deal. Are you kidding me?
Everybody is worried about the elite, worry about the masses and the elite will take care of it/themselves.

Soccer watcher and SoccerDoc are 100% correct, plow the ground, do the work, results will come, years from now... America is so impatient, 12 year old Scotch will not happen by 5/2/08 if I start today.

Top players at 6-8 that is so dang funny... Michael Jordan did not make his 9th grade team... give me a freaking break
so we should have given up on MJ

Last edited by Papa Hatfield; 05/01/08 03:09 PM.
I
goal
goal
I
let's not forget David Robinson, or Tim Duncan either...
David grew 6 inches into the best center in the US at the Naval Academy, and Tim was a swimmer as a kid... so let's assume we can pick the elite when they are 6-8, go ahead

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard