Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
sakka Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
I went and watched the Dorman-Mauldin game and could not believe how ignorant a linesman was about the offside rule. This guy has no idea that a player can be in an offside position if he/she is not part of the play. His ignorance caused Dorman's equalizing goal to be disgarded. Later, when the ball was in the middle of the field close to the ref, he called offside on a player at least 20 yards away not involved in the play at all and sadly the main ref called the offside. It is very sad to have the outcome of a game decided by horrible calls. I sure hope that linesman and ref will not be chosen for the finals.

S
kick off
kick off
S
the ref that called the offsides was jack. jack is probably one of the best refs your going to get in high school sorry lad

corner kick
corner kick
That all sounds great except the ref had blown his whistle way before the tying goal was scored. Also, the second offside was called because a Dorman player came from an offside position and was the first player to touch the ball. Jack is one of the most experienced and respected refs in the state. I am sure he has a very good understanding of the offside rule.
Dorman has great team and should be very proud of their season. As I said in another post their downfall would be beating Mauldin twice (PK's) in the regular season.

Last edited by mavs soccer; 05/13/08 03:44 AM.

Only time will tell
J
JC Offline
bench
bench
J
SAKKA,

I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE REFEREE TONITE IN THE DORMAN-MAULDIN MATCH NEVER JUDGED WHETHER OR NOT A PLAYER WAS GAINING AN ADVANTAGE FROM PLAYING SPACE NEARER THE GOAL SHE WAS ATTACKING THAN THE SECOND TO LAST DEFENDER ON THE OPPOSING TEAM.

THE ASSISTANTS WERE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT JUDGEMENT SINCE THEY HAD A CLEARER SIGHT OF THAT IMAGINARY LINE.

IT WOULD BE IGNORANT FOR A CENTER TO MAKE THAT JUDGEMENT.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Sakka,

I think you would get an argument from the FM people that a bad call (see 50/50 tackle, foul called by AR, goal scored from free kick) may have cost them the game on Friday. Anyway, Mauldin is a great team as is Dorman. They should be proud for making the upperstate final (especially as competitive as the upstate is considering Lexington, FM Byrnes, Spartanburg, Clover, Hanna and probably a couple others probably could have made it that far) Two young and great strikers will be entertaining to watch for the next couple of years.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
bench
bench
Well in the Airport Soc. guys game the AR called ofsides on the Soc. player when he went to trap it then it rolled out of bounds then the Center ref called the player not offsides because he said he didnt attempt to play it( only bad call the ref mad all night the rest were all good calls) which then on lead to Soc. throw in that lead to the game winning goal which shouldnt have been scored at that point because of the offsides call that should of been made so i feel you guys on the offsides calls.

World Cup
World Cup
Quote:

Sakka,

I think you would get an argument from the FM people that a bad call (see 50/50 tackle, foul called by AR, goal scored from free kick) may have cost them the game on Friday. Anyway, Mauldin is a great team as is Dorman. They should be proud for making the upperstate final (especially as competitive as the upstate is considering Lexington, FM Byrnes, Spartanburg, CLOVER, Hanna and probably a couple others probably could have made it that far) Two young and great strikers will be entertaining to watch for the next couple of years.

world cup
world cup
Did Jack also officiate the FM-Dorman game on Friday night, or was that "Don't Know Jack" who was reffing that game?

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
World Cup
World Cup
I think he reffed the FM-Byrnes game

corner kick
corner kick
Jack was the AR last night.

Only time will tell
corner kick
corner kick
I have watched many games where Jack was one of the refs. He has always been fair and consistent in his calls. If he believes he missed any call he would be the first to admit it and learn from it. Mavs Soccer description of the two offside calls are accurate. It was a great game and well called by the officials. It seems the Mauldin team is peaking at the right time during the playoffs. Good Luck to all the teams in the finals on Friday.

H
brace
brace
H
he put the flag up as soon as the ball was played.the offside player was not involved in the play.not rally close to it.i have seen some that would call it and some wouldnt.some wouldnt know to.
great game by both sides.

Last edited by Jim Morrison; 05/13/08 02:02 PM.
S
goal kick
goal kick
S
Quote:

he put the flag up as soon as the ball was played.the offside player was not involved in the play.not rally close to it.i have seen some that would call it and some wouldnt.some wouldnt know to.

The question is: What was the intention of the player passing the ball? If their intention is to pass to a player and that player is offsides, even if the ball gets deflected (or the pass is bad) and the offsides player never receives it, it can still be called offsides.

One thing about soccer officiating, the calls are extremely subjective. Almost every call will have differing opinions because every call is practically an official's judgement call.

Heck, there are even different standards between boys rules and girls rules. You never see an official say "the handball was inadvertant" in a boys game, but in a girls game, they are allowed to make that distinction because the girls are allowed to protect themselves using their arms.

World Cup
World Cup
The intentions, I believe, of the receiver should be the focus.

H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

The question is: What was the intention of the player passing the ball? If their intention is to pass to a player and that player is offsides, even if the ball gets deflected (or the pass is bad) and the offsides player never receives it, it can still be called offsides.

One thing about soccer officiating, the calls are extremely subjective. Almost every call will have differing opinions because every call is practically an official's judgement call.

Heck, there are even different standards between boys rules and girls rules. You never see an official say "the handball was inadvertant" in a boys game, but in a girls game, they are allowed to make that distinction because the girls are allowed to protect themselves using their arms.

i do not think the ball was intended for the player called offsides but i could be wrong.the player that recieved the ball was not offsides and she split the defense and went around the goalie to put the ball in the net.so i guess you would have to say the player called offsides was not the intended one.the call could of went either way.if i was a mauldin parent then it was the right call.if i was a dorman parent then i think it was the wrong call.
both sides played great and it was worth the ride to see it.

Last edited by Jim Morrison; 05/13/08 02:41 PM.
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

I think he reffed the FM-Byrnes game

good one dale.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

The intention of the passer is NOT the point. The point is whether or not the player who is in an offside position is actively involved in the play. Intent does not constitute action.

I do not have a copy of the high school rules with me, but here is the offside law from the FIFA Laws of the Game:

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:
interfering with play or
interfering with an opponent or
gaining an advantage by being in that position.

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i do not think the ball was intended for the player called offsides but i could be wrong.the player that recieved the ball was not offsides and she split the defense and went around the goalie to put the ball in the net.so i guess you would have to say the player called offsides was not the intended one.the call could of went either way.if i was a mauldin parent then it was the right call.if i was a dorman parent then i think it was the wrong call.

The Dorman player did all this after the ref blew his whistle to stop the play. It's easy to score when your the only one trying.

Only time will tell
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Dorman player did all this after the ref blew his whistle to stop the play. It's easy to score when your the only one trying.

i think this is going to lead into something other than why the topic was started.i do not think anyone except the person that started this topic is arguing with the call.a very good game and mauldin came out on top.no one can say they did not deserve it.the one thing no one is talking about is their goal off a nice corner.mauldins defense is the reason they won.they close on forwards as fast as any team i have seen this year.as far as when the ref blew his whistle i could not tell you because of the (mauldin boys choir that was in front of me) but they got split and the goalie did try.once the forward went by the defenders they did not chase her down like they had all night if that is what you are talking about.

World Cup
World Cup
Good for Mauldin making it back to the SC. Gwynne Armstrong made it the game 5 out of her last 8 years I believe (the last being in 2004) with 3 different coaches doing the same thing in the four years before that. Been a while and I'm sure all are elated after 2nd round and outs the last two years. Good job to a storied and successful program and represent the upstate well!

corner kick
corner kick

Back to the original intent of this topic. I believe this ref is well educated in the offsides rules. End of topic.

Now on to other topics. See new post for Mauldin vs Wando.

H
brace
brace
H
need instant re-play.

corner kick
corner kick
Mauldin boys choir does it's thing. Refs do a great job. Mauldin wins. There's your instant replay.

Last edited by mavs soccer; 05/15/08 02:12 AM.

Only time will tell
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

Mauldin boys choir does it's thing. Refs do a great job. Mauldin wins. There's your instant replay.

it will be interesting to see what the boys choir has up their sleeve.someone in the stands will complain about your great refs.i am pulling for maulden since we know about half the team but i think wando will have something to say about it.

World Cup
World Cup
Boys choir? Are those the people present at the TLH vs Mauldin game?

H
brace
brace
H
they are rowdy.best move i seen all year was made by the boys choir at the dorman game.there was a trash can set up and no one could get any closer to the field than the trash can.they just kept easing it forward.by games end they were almost to the fence.
their dads must work for the state for them to have all those construction cones they yell into.

Last edited by Jim Morrison; 05/15/08 02:03 PM.
World Cup
World Cup
I heard they were in rare form in Anderson. That is an intimidating factor that can be very effective. Cameron Crazies!

throw in
throw in
Yes the Mauldin choir was at the TLH game. It was a smaller version than the one at Dorman. The center ref decided to become the Mauldin choir director and moved the boys several times during the game. The center ref must have been a music lover to take on this added role.

I am hoping the choir will be in full force for the Wando game.

Last edited by mavsupporter; 05/15/08 03:26 PM.

"Play every game with your whole heart as you never know if it is your last game"
N
corner kick
corner kick
N
Quote:

Yes the Mauldin choir was at the TLH game. It was a smaller version than the one at Dorman. The center ref decided to become the Mauldin choir director and moved the boys several times during the game. The center ref must have been a music lover to take on this added role....

He had to have something to do... he certainly wasn't into the game

Good luck tomorrow D.

throw in
throw in
Thanks NP,

We will have to meet at the SSTR for a game recap soon.

"Play every game with your whole heart as you never know if it is your last game"
corner kick
corner kick
To my understanding the choir is growing in leaps and bounds. I hear several bus loads of choir members will attend. On my trip down to Lexington last week I noticed a lot road construction, which might allow them to gather more cones.

Only time will tell
S
sakka Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
Wow! It has been fun watching the replies (Mauldin fans immediately put on the defensive, others describing what they wanted to see not what happened, others very objective (thank you Jim Morrison), others going on tangents, etc.). Anyway, I didn't title this thread anything like "Mauldin got lucky" or "Dorman lost because of the linesman". Looking back, I should not have mentionned the teams involved. I still believe the linesman either doesn't know the rule completely or has a vision problem.
On another note, another call that really is not called properly is the ball going out of bounds. Unless there are special rules for High School, I believe the rule says that to call a ball out of bounds, the ball must COMPLETELY be out. If the ball is partially on the line, it is NOT out. To make this really interesting, all we need is a game where a goal is counted although the ball doesn't cross the goal line completely.

throw in
throw in
sakka,

Sorry you are still talking about the upperstate game when the finals have been completed. I believe we the Mauldin fans were telling like we saw it as far as the refs are concerned. Maybe you can enroll in a ref course to learn the rules like the excellent refs who were at the Dorman game and the Wando game.

Can't wait until next year to play Dorman in the toughest region in the state.

S
sakka Offline OP
bench
OP Offline
bench
S
mavsupporter,
"Sorry you are still talking about the upperstate game ..." - My emphasis has not been on any game, only on rules (respected or not)
"I believe we the Mauldin fans were telling like we saw it" - Mauldin fans were sitting on the opposite side of where the action was ...
I agree with you about the upperstate being the toughest region in the state and I wish Mauldin would have brought back the state title from Columbia.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard