Quote:

Once again, two years in a row, Woodruff is the public school state champion in AA/A girls soccer!

Great job!

(No, I will not let this go; look at the boys side. . .Unfair is unfair. . .and if unfair impacted more important sports or larger schools. . .well. . .)

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this matter. Bishop England is the rightful South Carolina High School League State Champion in Class 2A/1A Girls Soccer. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Nowhere in the bylaws of the SCHSL does it state that members have to be public institutions. Now then, I would have a major problem with this caveat if BEHS only participated in soccer. However, the Battling Bishops, by their membership of the SCHSL, compete across the board in all athletics for championships in SCHSL sanctioned sports.

No preferential treatment is given to BEHS. Does that school have an advantage in what kind of students it can attract? Sure! If I was a practicing Catholic and lived in the Lowcountry, then it is a good chance I would want my child to attend this fine institution. But, I am not a Catholic and if I felt my child would be better off by attending a private school -- and if I could afford it -- then I do not see where it is a problem.

I respect the demeanor and concentration that BEHS has approached athletics and I never hear them complaining about their lack of success -- in the SCHSL -- when it comes to football and basketball. Though those sports are hardly down-trodden, they certainly are not "championship material" as their spring sports have proven to be throughout the years.

Off the top of my head I can name three pretty good "soccer schools" that compete in the SCHSL -- Bishop England, Christ Church, and Southside Christian -- again, it would be different if it was across the board in all athletics, but it simply is not. Comparisons can be made across the state about "country club public schools" where the demographics lend a hand to the successes of its programs (whatever they may be). I don't knock it -- just makes those that have to work a little harder on the subject and appreciate it a little more of what there is to battle and overcome.

Congratulations to Woodruff on the Class 2A/1A Upper State Championship and kudos to Bishop England on another state title!