Quote:

Kyle:

Yes, BE and CC are and have always been the rightful champions because their participation is completely within the parameters created by the HSL.

As well, they are excellent programs with excellent coaches and players.

My points are two: (1) Private schools should not be allowed to compete with same-size schools when other factors are not (and cannot) be held constant (many states use a formula to adjust for these advantages); (2) private schools have different de facto rules that are NOT against HSL guidelines, and thus compete on an unlevel playing field.

Your other point, Kyle, is extremely important and almost never mentioned. We have profound disparities among public schools including affluence and open-enrollment allowances. A different disparity, but a disparity all the same.

If I were coaching AA/A girls, and I had a choice of who to play for the state, it would be BE without a doubt because they are the undisputed top team in AA/A girls soccer.

I think we do not disagree as much you think. But anyone who believes that the success of private schools in high school soccer has not in part been influenced by their advantages as a private school, then I believe that to be naive. (A similar and valid argument can be made for affluent public schools with many years of success as well.)

CC, I agree with you that "we do not disagree as much as you think". You and I are on the "other end" with the high schools we are associated with and I totally understand your statement about playing BE in a State Championship -- everyone wants to measure "your best" against the perceived "best". Good comments!

On another note, I am not against a 1 1/2-rule (i.e., 800 students at a private school = 1,200 for classification and thus, Class 3A in S.C.). However, until the football/basketball coaches start squirming for these measures then it is a moot point and not worth the time to discuss (or argue :-).