Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Bonz #106998 07/09/08 04:17 PM
Brace
Brace

I agree, more is better. They (NC) were better prepared than we were, I understood they had trained more as a unit etc. I simply state why buy fields when many exist in Columbia already. Use the funds SCYSA has to get SC up a notch, say fund the difference for the better/more training or fund a huge free scholarship fund, or have it all free. I just think state assocation owned fields will not get our kids up a notch. More money, more training, more practice as a unit works. The coaches should be paid on par with the other states, we should expect the same level and number of training sessions, in return. The sessions I saw were professional, maybe just too few of them.

The problem with this scenario is it caters only to using state funds on the "elite" players. Having a 16-field complex in the Columbia area for soccer specific purposes would benefit every SCYSA player in the state.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
H
brace
brace
H
my kid made the coaches choice game her first year at usc upstate.she has been held over a few years in bama and made the national camp so it may seem odd that i am complaining.i know what the cost of odp soccer is or just soccer period. i am a big fan of odp and think it has been great for my kid.she is one of the best players that did COME out. unlike some on here i like mary bynum.for the 92s i think they got a good coach.
im just going to leave it at that and not bring anything else into it.not on here anyway.

Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 07/09/08 04:21 PM.
Bonz #107000 07/09/08 04:18 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
And for the record.... ODP is worth it, I encourage all to participate.

Brace
Brace
ODP has never tried to be an inclusive entity, but rather an exclusive one. That's been my biggest rant with ODP through the years.

There are several good points raised in this discussion however. But, I also feel that too much stock is being put in "professional" training sessions. My experience is that most 'good coaches' are running quality training sessions, sometimes in more quantity than the so-called experts that simply roll the ball out there and let a hand-picked group of talent knock it around. Yes, the argument can be made that the game is the best teacher, but this is essentially a scrimmage and little "training" is actually being done.

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles"
H
brace
brace
H
Quote:

ODP has never tried to be an inclusive entity, but rather an exclusive one. That's been my biggest rant with ODP through the years.

There are several good points raised in this discussion however. But, I also feel that too much stock is being put in "professional" training sessions. My experience is that most 'good coaches' are running quality training sessions, sometimes in more quantity than the so-called experts that simply roll the ball out there and let a hand-picked group of talent knock it around. Yes, the argument can be made that the game is the best teacher, but this is essentially a scrimmage and little "training" is actually being done.

i think there are good coaches in the sc odp system.i also think they hold good training sessions.that kind of gets back to my point of money and to few sessions. coaches are not paid enough to hold to many sessions.

Brace
Brace
more emphasis needs to be place on the technical development, especially with the younger age groups. standards should be in place with each group specifying where they need to be. along with that, the coaches should provide some type of feedback to the players on their weaknesses and strengths. have seen some pretty darn good players technically but they had no feel for the game. it can't all be just one-on-one crap, they need to learn how to read the game and make use of their skills when needed but still keep the game simple. dribble with head up, release the ball at right time and place, support, overlap, etc. that is where I see the SC teams lose it when playing others. We play one-on-one or in clics, the other states play the game they way it should be played, ball control and passing.

I
goal
goal
I
The key is the little ones.

throw in
throw in
Having had 2 kids participate in ODP each year that they possibly could, I can tell you unequivocally, it's absolutely worth the cost.

At the outset of pondering the value of ODP, we had a college coach tell us, if two comparatively identical players are being considered for college ball and one has ODP experience and the other doesn't, the ODP kid will be given higher considerations.

Having college coaches from other states train and evaluate my kids was a fabulous experience for them. Additionally, almost every SC college coach my kids experienced along the ODP way made for a valuable experience. Most of those coaches care(d) about giving kids a valuable experience and give their best to the kids.

Do the best players always come out? No - and it's for a variety of reasons. Are the chances good that my kids played with and against some of the best players in the region at ODP? Absolutely! What's fun is meeting - and playing against - those same kids again at Regionals.

"Import" is right - if SC is going to be more competitive at ODP camps, it boils down to fundamentals. Our experience at ODP would indicate college coaches would rather not have to stress fundamentals during ODP training sessions - they'd much rather focus on tactics and strategy. Hence, my rants on fundamentals - if a kid can't receive a ball or make a pass....

Bonz #107006 07/09/08 09:50 PM
S
throw in
throw in
S
For those of us not that familiar with the costs/commitment to participate in ODP, could others share this information? When I've inquired about ODP, I've heard great things on a regional and national level, but within the state of SC, I haven't heard many good things that seem to warrant the time and expense required to participate. Some coaches love it, others do not.........and this is coaches within the same club.

As for the comment that if you have a child who plays competitive club soccer, then they can afford ODP, I beg to differ..........as a family, we sacrifice every season to pay the costs involved with training/tournaments/travel, but do so with no reservation because of how committed our child is to the sport and truly loves the game.

Are there other states who help subsidize ODP costs Papa Hatfield, or is this your brainstorm?

M
brace
brace
M
Any coach who would discourage a player from trying out for ODP I respectfully submit is leading you astray. As someone else stated in this thread, ODP experience has always played a significant role in the development of collegiate players and I believe it always will. Not all states employ college coaches as ODP coaches, so our players get that as an added benefit.

My son's first ODP experience at the age of 10 (he's now 15) was to be trained by Head Coaches Ralph Lundy of The College of Charleston, Van Taylor of Lander and Ben Freakley now of VMI (I believe he was the Erskine Head Coach at that time), Bert Molinary of USC and for the past two seasons Sam Okpodu of Newberry. The impact such professionals, in conjunction with well qualified club coaches, have on the development of kids as young people and as players can't be emphasized enough.

Every one of these coaches have and do demand more of their players than they often realize they are capable of giving. Players who work individually, with their teammates, parents, etc. to stay in the program build a sense of accomplishment, desire for improvement, a healthy appreciation for how to take constructive criticism and general sense of pride in the responsibility they have as a member of their team.

Much of what I see as benefits of ODP are related to the mental aspect of the game as taught by these accomplished coaches and most club coaches. Teaching and having technical skill is a given at this level by all involved. Understanding the physical and mental demands of the game are better taught and absorbed when a player is exposed to multiple qualified coaches.

So, in my opinion, the $1500 or so the program and associated travel costs over the course of the year is money well spent..

SC 92 Boys had 10 players selected for the pool game tonight. Well done on the first day of Regionals after a 2-0 win this morning.

Imagine. Believe. Achieve.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard