k70,

You've lived in both NY and SC, let me offer up this scenario. My daughter is a junior and two of the schools that she is interested in are Fordham and College of Charleston. Both D1 schools, both comparable programs. If they square off tomorrow, it's probably a 1-goal game either way.

Both of these schools could see her at Disney, Orange Classic and possibly at the Raleigh Shootout. (She's going to the Orange Classic). She has the opportunity to see either of these schools play. She could shoot down to Charleston any time to see CofC or she could head up to Durham this weekend to see the Lady Rams take on Duke and UNC. She's already attended CofC's summer camp and next year she could go up to the Bronx and attend Fordham's.

Assuming both schools see her play and like her a little bit....what's the offer? Where do we go?

College of Charleston is an in-state school, tuition, room & board runs about $20K per year. If she's a good student she can earn the Palmetto scholarship which is worth about $7,500. The school can give her a leadership/academic scholarship worth another $5,000. If the soccer coach gives her $5,000 for playing, she's left with a balance of about $2,500 per year, times 4 years, equals $10,000 in college loans.

If she wants to go to Fordham, which costs $45,000 per year, she gets ZERO for the Palmetto or Life, the school could give her $20,000 in academic/leadership/financial aid and $5,000 for soccer. That leaves her a balance of $20,000 per year, times four years, equaling $80,000 in college loans.

What's the call? Bottom line, I don't want her $80K in debt when she's done.

My point here is that there is a strong incentive to stay in-state. There are D1 and D2 programs that can appeal to a varying degree of talent.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.