Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
C
Coach
Coach
C
I can understand why people are disappointed about the results of the tournament this year. I'm disappointed, and my team didn't have to travel or pay for hotels; we just had to drive across the bridge. Still, some folks are turning from unfortunate facts to speculation.

It does seem that due to the nature of the facilities and environment, Mt. P. does have a challenge in pulling off a full-length tournament. Conditions are far from ideal, and that's a fact that would be hard to refute. However, to assume (speculate, assert) that all decisions are made due to some insidious plot to defraud the participants is a little over the top. I think the directors did make an effort to make sure that as many teams as possible at least got some experience out of the tournament. Less than ideal situations often result in less than ideal outcomes. That doesn't necessarily indicate the intent of the people in charge. It's really easy to shout fraud and conspiracy without knowing the entire situation and the constraints people are working under...just like it's really easy to stand on the sideline and declare authoritatively that a field is "fine to play" without ever stepping onto the pitch to find the consistency of the turf and the barely-hidden mudholes.

I've got good news and bad news...
D
kick off
kick off
D
The fields that were used on Sunday Morning could have been used on Sunday afternoon to play the games that were instead cancelled. I believe it was you, but may have been another, that stated that Park West could have remained open. Since they played abbreviated games on Saturday morning they could have moved up start times on Saturday morning and could have played more games prior to closing the fields at 1:30 on Saturday afternoon.

corner kick
corner kick
Really, the only three options MP has for the tournament other than staying with the unreliable system they have now are:

1) Somehow make agreements with the entities that own fields in WA, JI, or S'ville for back-up fields. Weather patterns here are erratic enough that what can drown Patriots leaves a field playable in the other areas.

This can be expensive or hard to manage.

2) Find a new date. October is notoriously rainy in the last few years and, as I mentioned previously, the Shootouts have been affected every year since their inception.

Again, hard to do, depends on availability, being allowed to do so, and not conflicting with competing tournaments.

3) Drop the idea of a select tournament and stick with Piggly Wiggly.

This is also expensive with regard to lost potential revenue, but also for each team involved because they will inevitably be paying for an away tournament elsewhere.

(4) Town Council can get off their butts and create a Carolina Park set of fields and we can have more options other than flood-y Patriots.

Last edited by adidaskitten86; 10/13/08 01:49 AM.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; [it] is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
D
kick off
kick off
D
Lets see. No players slipping and sliding. No rooster tails on the ball. No splashing as the girls run. Good control of the ball, plenty of crisp cuts. We were the last ones on that field minutes before they were deemed unplayable. Doesn't seem like the fields were dangerous to me. My kid said the fields played great. Gee coach seems like that field was good for play.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

SoccerMom85 -

I'm not commenting AT ALL about Charleston's decision to cancel ... I was in MB for a tourney and we played on a field with 6+ inches of standing water easily on 30% of one side of the field (worst I'd ever seen period) ... Again, though, no bearing on Charleston. I'm writing because as a member of CUFC and also being in Atlanta in the Georgia Dome during the storm last year, there were SERIOUS concerns about people's safety all the way through Saturday night. My sons were refereeing at 3p and were pulled due to tornado warnings. It was supposed to get bad Saturday night and while most of the bad stuff passed, CUFC did NOT want people worrying about getting to a field, IF it would be available, etc. They wanted families to be safe and put soccer second. So before you pass judgment on CUFC, know that your soccer-or-die attitude is not what club officials were worrying about when making the decision to cancel Sunday.

And, no, no one is due a refund for MPSC if they cancelled for rain - no matter when or how. However, I do think MPSC should have had much better contingency plans to play at other fields. Myrtle Beach scrambled, but one bracket (my younger team) actually went to 3 different sites on Saturday and finished playing at a 4th site later Saturday/Sunday. They went through hoops to make sure people got to play. I don't think it SEEMS MPSC (while NOT knowing their extra fields situation) did a whole lot to try and find alternate fields.

Again, I don't know any facts about Chas. and really don't care. But easy on CUFC for thinking first about EVERYONE'S safety.

Well, this kinda makes my point about this whole Monday morning quaterbacking of MPSC.

Here is how I would have handled that last spring in Columbia....I would have told all the teams to be on standby. Pushed all the games for Sunday back one hour and told everyone to be on standby in the morning. I agree with the cancellations on Saturday. That made perfect sense and was totally appropriate.

But I really think they jumped the gun for Sunday. The issue then was the storms impact at the very moment the storm was passing overhead...NOT with the amount of rain it dropped on the fields.

I don't know the situation for fields in MP, so I don't know what other fields there could have been. Are you indicating they should have tried Summerville, or Chas So, or James Island?

(BTW...I appreciate your wording. I'm sorry if I came off too harsh on Col United. I'm just a bit frustrated at seeing such venom directed toward MP when I think they did try to offer a solution.)

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

Lets see. No players slipping and sliding. No rooster tails on the ball. No splashing as the girls run. Good control of the ball, plenty of crisp cuts. We were the last ones on that field minutes before they were deemed unplayable. Doesn't seem like the fields were dangerous to me. My kid said the fields played great. Gee coach seems like that field was good for play.

What are you responding too????????

D
kick off
kick off
D
Re: Charleston Women's Shootout [Re: Coach Chass]

If you had looked at the top of my post you would have seen this. Please try to be more observant.

T
throw in
throw in
T
Quote:

Re: Charleston Women's Shootout [Re: Coach Chass]

If you had looked at the top of my post you would have seen this. Please try to be more observant.

Looks like you just want to fight with someone....I have no desire. I divorced one that wanted to do that all the time!

Again, it usually works best if you use the "quote" button. Coach Chass has posted multiple posts...so it's hard to know just which one you are responding to. If you use the quote button it makes it easier to distinguish what post you are responding to.

I'm not trying to fight...but you are new to the board....it is meant as a suggestion to help you participate.

Have you said what tournaments your team plans to attend that gives refunds for bad weather?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Quote:

Cool...which field?

I've got good news and bad news...
D
kick off
kick off
D
The softball fields at Park West.

Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard