Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21
D
kick off
kick off
D
I agree that we must move on. But, We must also learn from our mistakes and avoid this tournament in the future and warn others to do the same. If you enter this tournament there is very little chance that it will be completed. So I encourage all teams to save the money that you may spend on this tournament in the future and apply it to a quality tournament that will in all likelihood provide your team with quality competition and the opportunity to play the scheduled matches.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if, like I said earlier, the decision to close is a Town decision and they just do a "close everything we own" decision instead of a "let's check and pick and choose." The trend with the complaints in here suggests that this is more likely as I'd imagine to keep some sort of reputation that they'd have used PW if possible.

If that is the case then MPSC should have negotiated with the town for a better policy. This is a chronic problem with MPSC. They should have made sure that all closures would be on a field by field basis. I guess that goes back to poor planning.

Will you at least tell us if your club sponsors a tournament every year? If yes, how many teams enter each year?

If it will appease you. Yes they do and each age group usually has 6-10 teams for each gender.

And what is their weather policy? How many times have they ever had weather issues?

I don't believe we have ever had a rain out. I know they wouldn't start a tournament, play games in the rain, and then stop the tournament because they thought the fields might get bad. I have seen games at other tournaments get halted because of poor conditions and then continued on a field that was in better shape as soon as it become available.

I'll ask this question again. Since you have made reference to your club's tournament, will you identfy the club so we may do a fact check or will your continue to hide behind your keyboard?

C
Coach
Coach
C
Sorry, but I really don't feel that I "must" attempt to destroy this tournament's future, or that I "must" encourage others to do anything other than make well-thought-out decision based on risk vs. opportunity, act accordingly, and be willing to live with the results. This is my third year in a row bringing a team to this tournament, and the first time anything like this has happened. Of course I'm disappointed, and no, I don't think we got our money's worth as originally planned, but I also don't think it was an evil plot worthy of launching a crusade to destroy the perpetrators. If you want to start passing out the torches and pitchforks, I guess that's your privilege, but don't be too disappointed if you have a bunch left over when cooler heads opt out.

I've got good news and bad news...
G
corner kick
corner kick
G
Soccer is for the most part an outdoor sport. All to often in the last few years clubs have closed their fields due to rain, cancelling league and tournament matches. If it is just rain the matches should go on. Injuries can occur in any weather conditions on the pitch. Paying club and tournament fees gives teams the right to damage wet fields, and the fields are the only concern when matches are cancelled for only wet conditions.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
I tend to move the other way..Tournament should of been cancelled on Friday morning..Fields were not wet..they were saturated with standing water in several areas..Watched the early games on Saturday to see goalies sliding through puddles and players holding back...The lines where the ARs run were mud before noon..Now I do agree that soccer should be played wether or not it is raining but given the few days prior to the tournament and the chance that things were not going to improve they should of called the games off...SSC called off all games for Saturday due to conditions..

Last edited by coldhardtruth; 10/13/08 01:03 PM.
M
Corner Kick
Corner Kick
M
I agree. Furthermore, playing twenty minute games (yes folks an entire twenty minutes being considered a whole game) was not a good choice on Sunday. Therefore, we played the time equivalent of a game and a half. Thus, I believe MPSC should refund half the tournament fee. I think they were thinking of a way for the teams to play three games, as promised, so they would not have to refund any money. I understand the dilemma. However, money influenced their judgement - which I have determined to be poor. Last year we received a call at 1am about game changes (moved the time from 11 am to 8 am). Our experiences with this tournament have not been good. The decisions are what I have a hard time with. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses! I think CUFC did the right thing last year with their tourney-touch of class goes a long way!

F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
you want wet? Think regionals at Oklahoma City or Dallas or even parts of Raleigh last year. Imagine driving 16 hrs and playing 40 minute games that will determine if you move on to nationals or not.

Truth is that MPSC does have a tendency to close the fields (if it is the Municipal guy then still MPSC- guilty by association). This is not a perception it is fact and one that you should be aware of when planning tournaments that you will attend.

The kicker is the use of the word SHOWCASE... College coaches will not attend if the history of cancellations is known. They simply cannot spend the money to have it cancelled at the last minute. If you want to be a showcase then you must play the games. Maybe cancel the younger ages to save fields for the older ages, but we all know the older kids are the ones who wear the fields down to nothing

D
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
D
In all fairness, the CUFC tournament got hit by a tornado that did damage at some of the venues, maybe not the one you were at but there were other considerations. They also gave partial refunds and/or discounts for registrations fees to future tournaments, all dependent on number of games your team played.

What do people do when they go on vacation and it rains so they have to do something other than lay on the beach?

L
Goal
Goal
L
Quit all the whining and just be thankful that your kid is able to play soccer. If your kid plays soccer long enough this type situation is surely to happen. There is plenty of soccer left to be played for your kid. No one at MPSC is trying to scam you out of your money. Don’t whine in front of your kid, either. Tell him/her to look forward to playing in their next games.

S
bench
bench
S
Quote:

In all fairness, the CUFC tournament got hit by a tornado that did damage at some of the venues, maybe not the one you were at but there were other considerations. They also gave partial refunds and/or discounts for registrations fees to future tournaments, all dependent on number of games your team played.

What do people do when they go on vacation and it rains so they have to do something other than lay on the beach?

The 'damage' we were told of last year were that some of the fields had lots of leaves, small tree limbs (the kind kids could have picked up) and lots of twigs all over them. The tournament did not get hit be a tornado. The tornadoes that were in the area were not at any of the venues for the tournament.

I don't look at that as damage. I was told that there was one field that had a small tree that came down, but it was nothing that a few men could not have picked up and moved out of the way.

I would have gladly volunteered my time to go to a field and remove the twigs and leaves in order for our kids to play that Sunday.

I agree that Saturday cancellations were the correct call for the weather conditions that day.

My issue was with Sunday, in my opinion, those games were called and I think more could have been done to ensure those games were able to be played.

If there was significant damage to a field somewhere...please post and let us know.

I even went back and read the thread that dealt with this issue. Lots of words about "damage" and then some posters who said they walked the fields and only found standing water.

Again, if there was actual damage like downed power lines at a venue, then I will stand corrected....but I don't think that was the case.

Page 14 of 21 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard