In SC,

the State Cup takes the two R3PL teams and the six top 'challenge' league teams in a single elimination format, with the finalist and champion going to R3PL play the following year, and the champion going to regionals. Prior to R3PL play (i.e., at U13), the top 8 'challenge' league teams play in a single elimination format.

The President's Medal State cup (this past weekend) is a sign-up based tournament for SC's Classic teams. One or two divisions are made based on entrants. In divisions that were divided as I and II in regular season, that's pretty much how the teams are divided in the President's Medal State Cup. In divisions that had East/West flights, it seemed that the top half of teams from East and West played in President's Medal State Cup Division I and the bottom half played in Division II. The winner of Division I goes on to the Region President's Medal Cup .. which this year will be played in Greenville (last year was FL).

In terms of where did CESA end up at the PMSL divisions, I applaud them for continuing to place player development above results. They continued to put players in a position to be challenged and maximize their development. They've got 1 or 2 teams in each R3PL division this fall, and at least one team in every challenge division (except U18G). The fact that they didn't win a PM cup title this weekend has no relation to whether they care about classic level soccer ... and to say otherwise is ridiculous.

In looking at the results, I was more interested in the meaning of the diversity of clubs represented as champions and finalists. Your thoughts?