A new high school season is upon us and the initial season start rankings will be out shortly. I have never understood however the team are ranked.

It occurred to me that there was a logical unbiased methodology for ranking the teams, which can be understood by all and checked by anyone who is familiar with the team and players. The system takes into account the success the HS coach has had in the preceding season with this team and evaluates the players individually, based on their previous performance and their experience level. At the very least, it gets rid of any bias based on subjective thinking.

I do not have a relationship with any team sufficient to compile the points total of the individual players and will rely on people familiar with the teams, to follow the system outlined below and give us a logical ranking with a background which will stand up to scrutiny.

Methodology
Players Evaluation
Use the top 13 players in the points total for the evaluation. Allow points as shown below for returning starters, and the exceptional players who make "All State" and "All Region" Teams, plus all existing HS players who are playing in the premier league, classic league or recreational league. Additionally assume that any incoming freshman player who is on premier team that played in the fall will make the varsity team in their first season. Add the points total for the individual player’s evaluation to the team and coach evaluation to get the overall total of points. Highest number of points gives that team the highest ranking.

Players Merit Rating
Allow 2 points for current All State Selections
Allow 1 point for current All Region Selections
Allow 3 points for playing in the Premier league, 2 points for playing in the Classic league and 1 point for playing in the recreational league.
Allow 1 point for each previous year as a starter.

Team and Coach Merit Rating
Allow 2 points for making the Upper or Lower State Quarter Finals, assuming the same HS coach returns
Allow 3 points for making the Upper State or Lower State Final assuming the same HS coach returns
Allow 4 points for playing in the State Championship, assuming the same HS coach returns
Deduct one point from each of coach merit ratings listed above, if the current coach is not returning.

Regrets but the Tables A & B would not copy However please continue

Table A Player Evaluation

Name Returning Starter yrs.
3 or 2 or 1 point

All State
2pts

All Region
1 pt Premier 3pts: Classic 2 pts: Rec 1 pt

Total Points Table A =

Table B
Coach & Team Evaluation
Quarter Final 2 pts
Semi Final 3 pts
Final 4 pts

Total Table B =

Total: Points Table A + Table B = Points

I look forward to seeing the points total for each of the Ladies teams in based on the above logic. They can then be seeded in their group (say Upper State AAAA) according the total accrued points.