Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

Yes, there are many kids from SC who go on to play college. But, I still stand by my statement that the vast majority of kids playing today do not go on to play in college. That is probably true of every state in the country though. Someone else can do the stats, but if you take how many seniors playing HS soccer this year, and then compare that to the number of freshman that will be added to college teams next year...let's face it...the MAJORITY of those seniors will NOT be playing college soccer.

Not sure I understand where we are going with this. The majority of high school seniors in any sport in any state will not be playing that sport in college. You don't need stats to show you that - common sense will tell you that.

S
Goal
Goal
S
Wow, this thread was work. Not sure the status of what the questions are/were but......

1. When referring to "Pro" players, are we talking indoor or outdoor? Assuming outdoor. And since we're talking, what's even the definition of "pro"? Vice semi-pro? I define "Pro" as someone who gets paid to play and gets paid well enough that they don't have to work at a 2nd job. This may sound like nit picking, but in the US, even today, not a lot of players can make it year round on their soccer salary.

In any event, prior to 1990, there was no MLS. The US had a pile of varied and failed experiments; North American Soccer League, United Soccer League, Southwest Outdoor Soccer League, Western Soccer League, American Soccer League, Western Soccer Alliance, American Professional Soccer League. Just to name a few. I would claim that other than the NASL, the others were semi-pro at best. I'd be surprised if anyone from SC made it to one of them prior to 1990. But maybe so.

In addition to John and Temoc mentioned in a post above, a number of SC players have played in the current USL league with the Battery and other teams. You may consider the Battery semi-pro. A few players probably get paid well enough to live on year round but most do not. Also, their contracts are not for 12 months, they only run for the length of the season. That's probably viewed as semi-pro. To contrast, MLS contracts are for 12 months. (although, try to make ends meet in an MLS city with a full time Developmental Contract that pays you a whopping $20K a year)

SC player Lawrence Smith has played in Jamaica but not on a first team. However, he went to Finland and played for a 2nd division team last year and got picked up by a 1st division team this season. So, he may count in your count, if you're interested in players making it to a 1st division pro team.

S
corner kick
corner kick
S
Here is a list from the link below. If you scroll down to the reader comments you will see the list I copied from. I do not see the reader comment listing Mike Gustavan - Aiken,SC/USC- who I saw on Fox Soccer Channel was recently released from the San Jose Earthquakes. Not sure of his status as of now. I'm sure there may be others.

Palmetto Pro Soccer Players

Temoc Suarez: Mt. P/ UNC/ Dallas Burn, and several other USL/USISL teams

Troy Lesesne: Columbia/ CofC/ Charleston Battery/ CofC Assistant Coach

Ben Hollingsworth: Mt. P/ SMU & CofC/ Charleston Battery, and I know he went overseas on trial to Macabi Tel Aviv

Brady Bryant: Columbia/ U of Mobile/ Charlotte Eagles, Wilmington Hammerheads, and one year of minor league arena football

Anthony Stovall: Columbia/ USC/ Cleveland City Stars, Charlotte Eagles

Jason Hotchkin: Greenville/ na/ Cleveland City Stars, New Jersey Ironmen (MISL), other MISL clubs and one or two years overseas

Hunter Gilstrap: Lexington/ Clemson & CofC/ Maritzburg United (Absa Premiership- South Africa), Cleveland City Stars, Miami FC

S
Goal
Goal
S
Thanks soccer63, I knew some of you have kept running lists.

Another thing, when we say "SC Players", are we meaning they were born in SC or just played for a SC club or college sometime during their lives?

throw in
throw in
$20K in MLS Try $12,600. That is what Jonathon Leathers made last year with the Kansas City Wizards. While not a SC player, he did play at Furman and was the SoCon player of the year. He probably wished he was making $20K!

Other SC players to add:

In the Chas Battery archives - E.J. Bossman Southside Christian HS Presbyterian College played for the Battery in early 90's, but may fall in the category of needs 2nd job to make ends meet. What about the South Carolina Shamrocks(Greenville) of the old USISL. There were a number of SC kids to play on their roster. A couple of the Boulware brothers played for them. I am sure there were other SC players rostered. There was a kid out of Anderson's TL Hanna HS, that played for Jacksonville (USL) franchise in the mid 90's, I believe, though can't remember his name.

S
Goal
Goal
S
Quote:

$20K in MLS Try $12,600. That is what Jonathon Leathers made last year with the Kansas City Wizards. While not a SC player, he did play at Furman and was the SoCon player of the year. He probably wished he was making $20K!

The Development boys got a raise this year to $20K, I didn't remember what slave wages they were making last year. This year, MLS reduced the number of development players on each team's roster from 10 to 4. And I think they raised the number of senior players they can carry but I'm not sure. Keeping up with MLS rules is a full time job.

throw in
OP Offline
throw in
Quote:

Here is a list from the link below. If you scroll down to the reader comments you will see the list I copied from. I do not see the reader comment listing Mike Gustavan - Aiken,SC/USC- who I saw on Fox Soccer Channel was recently released from the San Jose Earthquakes. Not sure of his status as of now. I'm sure there may be others.

Palmetto Pro Soccer Players

Temoc Suarez: Mt. P/ UNC/ Dallas Burn, and several other USL/USISL teams

Troy Lesesne: Columbia/ CofC/ Charleston Battery/ CofC Assistant Coach

Ben Hollingsworth: Mt. P/ SMU & CofC/ Charleston Battery, and I know he went overseas on trial to Macabi Tel Aviv

Brady Bryant: Columbia/ U of Mobile/ Charlotte Eagles, Wilmington Hammerheads, and one year of minor league arena football

Anthony Stovall: Columbia/ USC/ Cleveland City Stars, Charlotte Eagles

Jason Hotchkin: Greenville/ na/ Cleveland City Stars, New Jersey Ironmen (MISL), other MISL clubs and one or two years overseas

Hunter Gilstrap: Lexington/ Clemson & CofC/ Maritzburg United (Absa Premiership- South Africa), Cleveland City Stars, Miami FC

Thanks soccer63 and soccer watcher for your relevant responses and the material that you dug up. I definately think there is still a ton of chances to get even more players not only into college but further their soccer careers to what we may consider "pros" around here.Soccer watcher i think you dissected that definition pretty well referring to pros being anyone paid to play soccer and i possibly could add that spends or devotes more of their time to this as well as about 80% of his income is derived from the same employment. Well if we were in europe the definition would be more precise..i guess..lol.

Taking onto the next question in the original post,considering the observations above and maybe several others that may not have been voiced on here,assuming we have a genuine "tri-effort"(Player,coach and parent working together),what keeping in mind our knowledge of the status quo, can be done to magnify the numbers of players that successfully graduate from one level to the next i.e club ->College,College ->Proffessional or semi proffessional. I sure hope this is not complicated as the first post.lol.PS:We can start of tackling the situation hypothetically if need be.
Well lets share some ideas.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
What do we do to get more or any females on that list? How about single gender clubs?

Brace
Brace
John Wilson, Seneca HS - D.C. United, Kansas City Wizards, New England Revolution, Charleston Battery, etc.

F
goal kick
goal kick
F
Deliah Arrington - Waccamaw HS - Clemson - Philadelphia Charge

Heather Beem - Clemson - New York Power

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard