Article from the Greer Citizen of 4/2/09 written by Joel Fitzpatrick (cannot be linked so rewritten here):

SUMWALT PONDERS FUTURE

This was supposed to be one of the best seasons in the history of the Blue Ridge High girls soccer program. After a stellar campaign last year, the Lady Tigers had hopes of challenging Riverside for the region title and making a deep playoff run.

In the team's final preseason game, however, everything changed. Junior Marissa Sumwalt, one of the program and state's most prolific goal scorers (40 career goals/19 assists) through her sophomore season), suffered a torn ACL injury that ended her season.

"It was about 12 minutes into the scrimmage against Seneca, and I was going up for a header on a corner kick," Sumwalt said. "One girl pushed me from behind, and another took out my legs. I thought I had a broken leg. I knew something wasn't right. I had never suffered an injury that serious before."

As Sumwalt watched her teammated suffer a loss to Riverside on Monday, she admitted that not being able to help was difficult.

"It is definitely hard to watch because I want to be out there so badly," Sumwalt said. "It drives me to come back stronger."

Athletes who suffer ACL injuries often come back stronger than before after going through months of rehabilitation. Sumwalt is currently going through that process, but isn't completely certain that the game she loves will still be a part of her life when all is said and done.

"This is the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life," Sumwalt said. "After I had the surgery (with a possible infection, severe swelling, and a reaction to medication), I said I was never going to play again. At this point, I am still not sure. If I suffer this same injury again, the doctors can go ahead and cut my leg off."

Those may sound like the words of someone who is serious about giving up her athletic career, but there is a side of Sumwalt that refuses to totally let go. It's the side of her that entertains thoughts of getting back on the field for the Lady Tigers, and continuing to play the sport at the college level.

Western Carolina, Lander, Belmont Abbey, Mars Hill, UNC Asheville, and Presbyterian are among those who have shown interest, and it is hard for Sumwalt to hold back a grin when she thinks about suiting up for one of those schools.

"The schools that are looking at me aren't worried about the injury because it is so common in soccer," Sumwalt said. "If I didn't play soccer in college, I would love to go to Clemson or College of Charleston. Clemson sent me an invitation to attend a recruiting camp. I obviously won't be able to participate, but I still may go and watch."

The loss of his top player had been tough for the Lady Tigers' head coach. Not only because of her scoring ability, but because she is more than just another player to him. "It's been hard for everyone," Sumwalt said. "I think it bothers him more because I am his daughter."

With possibly nine months of recovery ahead of her, Sumwalt knows that there is little that she can do to help the Lady Tigers this season. She can, however, continue to be one of the team's biggest fans.

"Everyone on the team has stepped up," Sumwalt said. "It has been a great season, and I am so proud of the team. Hopefully, they will keep going strong."

Greer Citizen (4/23/09) by Joel Fitzpatrick.