Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
C
bench
bench
C
I feel like we are beginning to argue two separate points here. No one can prove you wrong because that is what the rule book states, but I think the point here is that the fact the rule is written the way it is is absolutely ludicrous. The fact of the matter is they are basically serving little to no punishment for a rather serious offense. Your only response to that point has been that the perpetrator has graduated and we shouldn't punish the rest of the team. Should we make a new rule that as long as the kid is no longer on the team there should be no punishment at all? Absolutely not. As a standard of comparison many other teams have have WAYYYYY less sever infractions and served SEVERELY harsher punishments. Is it fair? No. Is it the way the rule book states? Yes. Just because its in the bylaws doesn't mean its just. Its a US law that 500 grams of powder cocaine will give you the same jail time as 5 grams of crack cocaine (this is actually true). Is that fair? No. The previous precedents set by the state over minuscule infractions should allow you to deduce that these kids had 0.000% shot of playing in the playoffs. Its obviously not the way its gonna happen that way, but if the people who wrote these rules had any common sense it would be that way.

Don't we have ways of stopping such a gross injustice? I think we've done it before. Oh I don't know say the 19th amendment? Nottttttt quite as big of a deal, but maybe you get my point. I say everyone boycott the playoffs and give them the rings!!! (I hope you can hear the sarcasm in my keystrokes)

B
corner kick
corner kick
B
Quote:

I say everyone boycott the playoffs and give them the rings!!! (I hope you can hear the sarcasm in my keystrokes)

..... or maybe lobby your local HS AD to secede from the SCHSL. Seriously, I think the important lesson that can be taken from this is that sometimes in life gross injustices occur. Everywhere - work, school, politics (especially politics).Frequently they are about things that are out of our hands. We have to learn to live with it. So in this case, even though other programs have received more severe punishmnets for lesser offenses, it looks like we all have to live with the rules of SCHSL whether we like it or not. Maybe this will cause SCHSL to take a look at this and this situation will not occur again or more likely SCHSL see's nothing wrong with the punishment they handed down. I don't blame Bluffton for the way the rule reads - don't know much about their program but hopefully what we are reading is true and the coach has cleaned up the program (if in fact it was that bad to begin with). It very well could have been one or two bad apples or simply just bad decisions by otherwise okay kids. Apparently SCHSL informed the coach they could play in the playoffs so they will - wouldn't you?
By the rules of SCHSL they have paid their penalty.
However - to me this is all about a "punsihment fits the crime" issue seemingly botched by SCHSL.

C
Coach
Coach
C
CS111...I agree with you about the inequity of the punishments handed down for similar and lesser offenses. I would argue that the League has a habit of over-punishing the many for the (often minor) offenses of the one, or the few. I'm not sure handing down an equally heavy-handed ruling in another case would really work to make things "right."

The graduation of that senior wasn't my only point, and wouldn't (shouldn't) stand on its own...the larger point was that the intention of the rule is to change the behavior of the people in the program, and that seems to have happened. Even in our legal system, there are sentences handed down with leeway--"time off for good behavior." If the true intention of the law is rehabilitation, not just punishment, then I think you have to consider that as well, but again, if you are punishing only people who have worked to do the right thing, then what is the punishment really accomplishing?

Again, open for debate.

I've got good news and bad news...
throw in
throw in
I'm lost, maybe I need to go and watch "The Great Debaters" again. We need to get that kid that looks like a young biggy smalls to debate Coach Chass! While you're kicking rocks coach, I'll see if I can find Mr. Smalls

Laces out DAN!!!
throw in
throw in
Bush League!

Yeah!! HAHA
C
Coach
Coach
C
Great movie! "Little Biggie" does a better job of carrying a point than most adults.

You hunt for him...I don't need to look far for rocks to kick with all the stones being thrown around here.

I've got good news and bad news...
throw in
throw in
Who the !^&! is this, paging me at 5:46 in the morning crack of dawing now I'm yawning, wipe the cold out my eyes, see whos this paging me and why!!!!

Yeah!! HAHA
W
kick off
kick off
W
BIGGIE... let Bluffton play as a 4 seed and the cream will rise to the top, the best team almost always wins... S Aiken will have to prove themselves, its the playoffs, no games should be easy... i do agree however, if you make a rule you should follow it, if not then bad things start to happen, let them play, lets see how these thugs take care of da futbol

B
goal kick
goal kick
B
Has South Aiken not already proved themselves by winning their region? It seems to be an interesting matchup. Basically two region champs playing first round

L
lfc Offline
Goal Kick
Goal Kick
L
Actually, Bluffton is not region champ just yet. Even if the region games previously played stand, Bluffton and Hilton Head pay once more and, if Hilton Head wins, they will have identical region records.

Now to continue the debate, there are two issues here. The first is "does the punishment fit the crime?". Personally, I thought that the punishment was excessive from the outset (see earlier post), but there are strong arguments in favor of the punishment handed down.

The second issue is "did the SCHSL reverse itself and, if so, was that a good idea?" Only the school and the SCHSL know what sanction was actually handed down but Coach Cook has repeatedly stated that the decision of the Executive Committee was to ban Bluffton from post-season competion. If that was the case and regardless of good behavior on the part of the current Bluffton players, it would appear that the SCHSL has reversed itself and done considerable damage to its credability. To quote the handy-dandy SCHSL Handbook (p.A-27 of the Constitution):

Quote:

Coaches must exemplify through their own actions and behavior an acceptable example of good sportsmanship and conduct. Coaches have access to their players on a daily basis and they need to take time to stress the importance of good conduct and sportsmanship by players in interscholastic contests. Allowing players to commit an unsportsmanlike act without a reprimand is really telling the player he has done nothing wrong.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard