5/6 at Greenwood

(with a 1 hour and 45 minute rain delay thrown in)

Greenwood 1
Westside 0

Shots: Greenwood - 12 / Westside - 13
Corners: Greenwood - 3 / Westside - 3
Records: Greenwood 7-7 (6-4) / Westside 12-8 (4-6)

Westside traveled to Greenwood on Wednesday, despite storm warnings, for Region I-AAAA's battle for 3rd seed. Both squads battled hard in a fast paced game on Greenwood's small pitch. The lone goal of the match came at the 17 minute mark when Greenwood's Elizabeth Sugden scored from 35+ yards out, nicking a high shot off the crossbar and off the Westside GKs waiting hands. After a LONG stoppage for lightning, the teams finished the match, with both squads having numerous chances in the 2nd half but neither able to change the scoreline.

Greenwood's win gives them the 3rd seed and a 1st Round playoff match vs Dorman or Spartanburg. Westside earns the 4th seed and will travel to Mauldin. The match marked the 1st time Westside has ever played Greenwood to a 1 goal game AT Greenwood, with losses over the last 5 years of: 2-0, 5-0, 4-0, 9-0, and 11-0.

Despite the close game, there was a better story to be told. It was Greenwood's senior night, and their girls wore green ribbons in their hair bc it was the favorite color of Greenwood coach George Sugden's recently deceased wife, who passed away unexpectedly on Saturday. Only fitting that the daughter scores a game winning, 3rd seed clinching goal on the day after her mother's funeral.

There are many lessons to be learned through coaching soccer, and most of them do not have to do with scorelines or results. I could not have been happier for the way my girls performed at the home of a region opponent we have only recently even been competitive against, but at the same time, seeing an opposing coach's daughter rise to the occasion in such a difficult time was somehow more touching...