My theory is that the schools that have 30 premier kids try out every year are always going to be good. No brains necessary to figure that out.

But, then all of the other kids play against those kids and figure out what they need to do. More and more of them want to play this game, so the numbers really do show up eventually if you have a program that is fun to play in, wins consistently, and has class and respect. The kids want to be a part, and the parents want them to.

So my opinion is that the bass on top will always be bass. The huge coggle of catfish on the bottom is shrinking, and there are more perch who are trying to become bass. And a few of those perch are getting big enough so that the bass are afraid they may be eaten and they aren't hanging around the perch.

That is a really bad fishing analogy, but I am old so who cares. And I just made up the "coggle" thing. I don't know what a bunch of catfish are called, but let's start something here.

Congrats to the teams who are making something out of soccer life that is fun, good, and will be remembered as worthwhile in their lives. And kudos to the coaches (and parents) who make it happen.

Retired, Old, Happy, and off into the sunset