Quote:

The league the Battery plays in actually promotes this structure. The USL (United Soccer Leagues) has leagues starting with youth (Super Y), older youth (Super 20), amateur men (PDL), amateur women (W-league) and 2 pro leagues (USL1 & USL2). A club could have teams in all leagues, thus, their own pyramid. Atlanta Silverbacks just dropped out of USL1 but I believe they fielded teams in almost all those leagues. The Richmond Kickers and I believe the Rochester Rhinos are close too. Here's a page from the USL website on all their leagues: http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72011+L2/+E+ABO

When the Super Y started several years ago, the Battery fielded one of 2 teams, (girls I believe) but after one year they dropped them. I asked Tony Bakker, the owner, why they dropped and he basically said the same thing as fristtouch, that he was afraid that ticket buying parents might not but Battery tickets if their kid didn't make the Battery youth team. Sad state of affairs but I can't say he'd be wrong in thinking that....

Great input,i also did notice the league battery plays in does support that format.Wonder if the battery got involved all the way to the bottom of the pyramid and not just stop at one or two youth teams.Players would be closely monitored and given an opportunity to aim for the main/first battery team that way every player within the team age groups trains hard knowing they have a shot at pro ball.Remember,the battery would be responsible for the administrative functions all through.I reckon,kids would be interested in watching the pro team play with alot more interest and parents/fans would possibly support the battery more resourcefully knowing that their funding is being visibly put to use right in their backyard.
The teams would be shipped out for games under the battery banner with funds specifically meant for such.Importance of this mainly for consistent and competative exposure to different teams countrywide.Of course this is hoping that the clubs around would be enlightened about the purpose of such a setting and actually all work towards strengthening the soccer base here.I guess the question then would be what if there is a surplus of quality players and the battery can't accomodate all?Well first it would be a goal met as we will have produced quality players capable of being directly being absorbed into college programs mainly due to the diverse nature of competative exposure and secondly it would then be the battery to market these players. Most importantly players would be playing for a goal that is clearly in sight rather than some hazy and very faint target.
Any other thoughts? Does anyone think it could be done a better way?