Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
sandman #124691 06/29/09 05:26 AM
throw in
throw in
Quote:

if we're honest, the real score was 4-2 & it wasn't even that close.
we got lucky in the first half & got embarrassed in the 2nd.
we're a long way off & hopefully this close score doesn't give us a false sense of security. we've got to make some major changes. hats off to tim who kept it close, the rest, along with the coaching staff should be replaced asap.
i really like how late in the game that schmuck went for the oscar in the brazil box instead of the goal. theres something really wrong & embarrassing with the over the top flopping in mens soccer, but i digress
today was another reminder of why i'm a girls soccer fan.
fundamentals, marking????? anyone?
run for the hills tim howard, don't look back.

Sandman,looks like we are going to all agree on one thing,the USMNT is not as far away as most people (sad to say even some of its own fans) think. That team came from two dismal performances orior to CONCACAF,physchologically they were not only down because of the result but mostly the (can i call it fake??) dwindled support at the time.Two crushes at the begining of CONCACAF were not helpful either.
If you have ever been in a high level tournament team camp,you might realize how great of not just a coach and team they were to comeback in 2 huge games but they attempted an upset in the finals.It takes a unique partnership of players and coach to dig that deep,remember these were not the college or Mls finals but an actual world stage final.They just happened to come up against a team (Brazil) which unlike spain and egypt,have mastered and know their role in world football and Brazil coach Ddunga has done a great job in delivering with this VERY young team.As for Bob Bradley and his staff.,relieving him of his duties now would do nothing but take the team a couple of years back.Would make sense to let him finish up his WC run as well.

SCKicker #124692 06/29/09 01:16 PM
F
Hat-Trick
Hat-Trick
F
You can change all the coaches you want... it will make little difference (just talk to El Tri).

1- Charlie Davies deserves to play more ( I do not know where he plays). He has what all other forwards in the US do not...hustle. Created all kinds of problems for two of the biggest teams in the world. Jozy...you need to take note
2- The best thing to could have happen to US soccer was to loose..... ... what you say?
The look on the players faces after the game is more important than anything else, it tells me they were upset they let it get away....AND THAT is what they need to start believing. put it away and work all 90 minutes.

We seem to forget that Brazil was frazzled for most of the first half. AND....yes I will say lucky.... for a lucky first goal in the first minute of the second half would have created a different game. (for those of you about to freak out lucky means it went through the defender's legs as he stepped up - the fact that he received the ball and turned and shot was great skill)

should it have been 4-2? yeah I think that was a goal.
Are we at the top? no, but the work has to continue, it was good enough to beat Spain - I do not care what ALMA thinks. We need more depth and the Gold cup will give many youngsters an opportunity.

In my opinion this was perfect timing, a tight loss may pay dividend in the future

SCKicker #124693 06/29/09 01:34 PM
S
goal
goal
S
i agree with you,they accomplished alot, but they looked really bad in their losses tho.

sandman #124694 06/29/09 01:57 PM
K
Throw In
OP Offline
Throw In
K
aaahhhh yes USMNT let it slip away with a poor second half showing the early goal shifted the momentum Brazils way in half 2 but i have to agree with FUTBOL you live and you learn and the boys played with heart it was just not enough. We all seem to forget that Brazil is a remarkable football nation and though dissapointed they were the better team hands down.

On a side note I feel we blew it with our failure to mark Luis Fabiano knowing how dangerous he is in front of goal he was just too free it was just a matter of time before he scored. either someone was terrible at their job tracking him or that was just a biiiigggggg oversight on the coaching staffs part .

we run things, things nuh run we.....
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
Can't say I saw a huge difference between halves, other than Brasil was a lot sharper in the second. They had, what....90% possession in the second half vs. 65 or 70% in the first half?

We had 2 chances in the game and finished them both. Brasil had 5-6 good chances in the 1st and didn't put anything in, primarily because Howard was fantastic. But to me it was the same story all game.....just more intense in the second half. My observations:

1. Brasil won EVERY ball in the air. Either first ball or second ball. A major advantage in winning or holding possession.

2. We don't have anyone who can beat people off the dribble. No one can create a dangerous opportunity off the dribble.

3. Our outside defending was non existent. The right mid for Brasil was beating our left back like a drum in the 1st half and serving up ball after ball in the box. In the second half.....Brasil looked undefended in the last 35 yards of the field outwide on both sides. Were we pinching defensively? Then why were they so able to receive the ball centrally without a lot of pressure 25-30 yards out? Seemed to me.......we just gave way too much space in the second half. Much less aggressive.

4. Missed Bradley in the midfield. I liked Davies uptop.

Watching Brasil yesterday.......was like having flashbacks to watching my sons team play Northwestern. At some point the levee's going to break and when it does.....(fade to old Zeppelin....)

Big Daddy #124696 06/29/09 08:43 PM
S
goal
goal
S
Quote:

Watching Brasil yesterday.......was like having flashbacks to watching my sons team play Northwestern. At some point the levee's going to break and when it does.....(fade to old Zeppelin....)

exactly, after watching the first half, it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that brazil was coming & bringing hell with it. the futbol gods were very generous with the 3-2 score.

sandman #124697 06/29/09 09:01 PM
L
Goal
Goal
L
The double whammy playing Brazil:

1. Stay back and defend and you lose.
2. Get numbers up in the attack and you lose.

throw in
throw in
Quote:

The double whammy playing Brazil:

1. Stay back and defend and you lose.
2. Get numbers up in the attack and you lose.

Very interesting and funny comment above.While one can't shy away from that facts letmeputit..stated; I wondered how it would have turned to keep a defence of 5 squarely meant to defend(whilst one gets lose every now and then to beef midfield,however maintain 3 solid midfield WORKHORSES and keep two sharp and fast forwards uptop...if you have watched Brazil's defence even in world cup qualifiers,they are rather sketchy..not like the old Brazil defence years back which was solid. Their top attacking mid and forwards are the biggest worries a team could have even pre-CONCACAF at world cup qualifiers.
Overall,it did look like a game worth watching,thanks to both teams unique efforts.

SCKicker #124699 06/29/09 10:21 PM
world cup
world cup
Daddy,

That wasn't Brasil's right mid, that was their right back bombing it up the right side all game. He is phenomenal, but the US did exploit him once with the counter attack on the second goal.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
Hurst66 #124700 06/30/09 10:51 AM
B
hat-trick
hat-trick
B
I'm sure you're right. Why we didn't counter more often is beyond me. Brasil pushed up so hard.....space is behind the backs. Donovan's goal was a thing of beauty....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard