Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Definatly wasn't fun to play on Rock Hill's turf field last year, but i must admit it would save some money in the long run since weather cant really effect the field conditions. There's definatly many pro's and con's for them to look at before deciding whether to or not.

I'm not sure there would be any cost savings at all...at the very highest estimate it would cost maybe 25K a year to maintain one HS Stadium field. That includes fertilizer, fungicides, herbicide, over seeding, annual rye, Pre emergents, labor to mow, aerating, lining ect...if it cost 700K to install a turf field you could maintain a natural field for 28 years for the same money or less. I don't know the life expectancy of a turf field but I imagine that after 28 years it would be in pretty ruff shape and in need of repair.

I don't like the idea of turf fields at the HS level.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
Brace
Brace
I don't like turf fields either for high school play, but as to the "shelf-life" of turf fields ... The folks I've talked to say between 10-12 years for a Grade 1 field is about right.

C
corner kick
corner kick
C
Turf fields make sense in most northern states, but certainly not here. In northern states you have football plus soccer playing on the same field at the same time. This can be a problem. Here there is nothing on that field but football. In Rock Hill, you have 2 schools using the field, so it kinda makes sense. But, having finally seen that field, is it me or are the soccer lines kinda narrow and confusing??? It looked like, from the stands, that the soccer lines could have been at least 4 - 5 yards wider on both sides.

"Boys, even if it means dying on the pitch, we must win!" Marc-Vivien Foe 1975 - 2003
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I'm not sure there would be any cost savings at all...

Here is a quote from a Herald Online article from 2008 about the introduction of field turf at Rock Hill's District Three Stadium.

"If two fields each were completely redone -- one with artificial turf and one with grass -- the turf field would cost about $256,000 less at the end of a 10-year period, according to figures from the Rock Hill school district."

I guess the question here is: Would the Lex. District 5 grass fields have to be completely redone anyway if they did not install the field turf?

corner kick
corner kick
Quote:

Here is a quote from a Herald Online article from 2008 about the introduction of field turf at Rock Hill's District Three Stadium.

"If two fields each were completely redone -- one with artificial turf and one with grass -- the turf field would cost about $256,000 less at the end of a 10-year period, according to figures from the Rock Hill school district."

I can not agree with that at all. Who ever gave that estimate should have kissed them before they stuck it to them!

The cost to clear, laser level, irrigate and seed a field is right around 100K (does not include lighting, parking or stands.) The actual cost to maintain a field is between 8 & 10K annually (the 25K I mentioned earlier was an extreamly inflated figure!)But just for the sake of discussion lets stick with 25k annually for one field. 25K X 10 years = 250K + 100K initial cost = 350K over a 10 year period. IF the figure stated earlier in this thread of 700k per Turf field is correct (I assume it is) that is still a 350k difference in favor of the natural field. That is also assuming the turf field requires no maintenance over the 10 year period.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
corner kick
corner kick
i think you can touch the ball better in turf, but you can get injured more often.

there is nothing like playing in natural grass sp when you pull bikes and things like that once in a while to keep the crowd awake.

playing in turf once in a while is good but ill take natural grass any day, is more natural.

Club of the century.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard