Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Recruited BECAUSE of their high school play? I don't know if you could ever say that because soccer is a sport that requires such a refined skill that year round play is practically a must during the formative years. That means high school AND club play.

Those girls did not all START at CESA, nor do they always finish there. Your comment makes it sound like CESA is the reason they are recruited to college, that is simply not true.
I can tell you that some of the girls that I have coached played for our high school team BEFORE they made a CESA premier team. So who gets "credit" for making them college level players?

But to answer your question, I have been head coach here at Hanna for only 3 years and have had two girls that were not CESA players sign with colleges although I must admit that one of them used to play at CESA. The other one was pure Anderson home grown.

C
Coach
Coach
C
I think it would be great if there was more exposure for high school players; in my opinion there is a lot of talent and hard work that goes unrecognized because players don't happen to have the "right" opportunities to be seen in the "right" places.

I've got good news and bad news...
CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

I am just making an observation of the current system which is flawed and I hate you took it personally. I am sure a lot people work hard, I have said nothing about specific players.

It takes a lot more than this to offend me and I did not take it personally...your idea was just so far fetched and some of your points sounded like you had an agenda (like maybe you have a daughter that plays on a HS team that is not good).

C
Coach
Coach
C
CJ, I'm with you in that I hate to see talented high school players listed as college picks and the first question everyone asks is, "oh, what club did they play for?" Still, I think it's fair to say that some high school players get more exposure to college coaches than others due to the overall level of play at the school...I know I've had a couple of girls who would have gotten more looks if they had been at higher-profile soccer schools. My keeper from last year was offered a spot at VT; the talent was mostly homegrown, but I have to admit it was the contacts she made through the club that got the coaches to give her a chance to prove herself.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Were you able to assist your players with the recruiting process? Did they "commit" before or during their senior year? Are there specific tournaments that your team played in that these specific schools were able to see these girls play? Did the colleges just come to your regular league games? What are you currently doing to market the players you have on the team now? Any of this info would be helpful for the kids who have aspirations (sp) of playing at the next level.

No daughter playing high school ball...just a soccer fan!

Last edited by observer; 02/07/10 03:03 AM.
C
Coach
Coach
C
Then again, maybe it's just me being warm and fuzzy and trying to see good intentions behind what might be stated awkwardly. I can't rip on EVERYONE who says something that's open to misinterpretation...then I'd have to change my screen name to match my favorite NASCAR driver.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
I think all of this rain is making me cranky.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
Quote:

Then again, maybe it's just me being warm and fuzzy and trying to see good intentions behind what might be stated awkwardly. I can't rip on EVERYONE who says something that's open to misinterpretation...then I'd have to change my screen name to match my favorite NASCAR driver.

You are a better man than I, my friend. I think you do a great job with your girls and I love reading your post game summaries. I do think that is something that more coaching should do.

C
Coach
Coach
C
Y'know, if you can find a way to make a torrential-rain Friday practice sharing an old gym floor with the boys' team fun, you can smile at anything.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
We were outside on only one day last week! And with wrestling and basketball still in play, there just isn't any room inside for much ball work. Very frustrating.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard