Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Coach
Coach
C
We got three days outside...kinda frustrating...record numbers trying out, several freshmen on the JV/varsity bubble, and I really haven't had a chance to put them through the paces properly before I need to make cuts...oh, well...at least I need to make cuts rather than fish for warm bodies!

I've got good news and bad news...
C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Coach,
Looking forward to April 28th in the swamp..Don't bring the rain with ya..

C
Coach
Coach
C
We love mudball...last one with a clean spot on the uniform is a rotten egg!

I've got good news and bad news...
U
throw in
throw in
U
all sports require a refind skill. if your going to be good at something you have to do it all year.
high school programs that don't have the benefit of having a club in the area need the input of their high school coaches. players who can't afford club soccer also need the help of their high school coaches. one of the first questions to all of his hs players should be "who wants to play at the next level? then start going to work for those players. make some phone calls to college coaches that you have an athlete that's interested in their university. also give the player guidance on what level the hs coach thinks the player can play at.
i think these are some things that club is offering that "some" high schools don't offer when it comes to soccer.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
valid points Uncle Buck, but you seemed to have ignored the fact that we have highjacked this thread to whine about the rain.

U
throw in
throw in
U
sorry CJ, my bad.

CJ Offline
Brace
Brace
no worries, Chass started us our own thread.

C
hat-trick
hat-trick
C
Uncle Buck,
I guess my child got lucky because her coach asked all those questions and even offered to make a highlight video of her to send out to colleges..

J
corner kick
corner kick
J
observer...what a weird and awkward argument.

wish i would have looked to get in on this last night so that i could be the to say it first...but cht and uncle buck are dead on.

promoting hs soccer is in the hands of the players and coaches...mostly the coaches. college coaches don't go to club events b/c they are club events. they go b/c of the overall caliber of play (lots of it in one spot) and the fact that someone clues them in on the what's happening.

no one is going to come look at you unless they know that you are there. if you want them to just "stumble across you" for the sake of suspense, then you need to put yourself (or team) in those "hot spots" where you know coaches will be (quality tournaments, combines, etc.)

before i get raked over the coals...the rain sucks. we have our first club game this afternoon and have practiced a total of 2 1/2 hours thanks to the weather.

O
throw in
throw in
O
Jonathan: What if your coach doesn't do these things and your team isn't good enough to play at the "hot spot" tournaments? Thus, my idea of inviting local college coaches to be a part of the process by nominating the player of the year. (I know, it is a different way of selecting the POY, but, it could, ideally, lead to some kids being recruited that otherwise may not have been.)It sounds to me like a player should do the marketing themselves. Not all high school coaches are qualified to coach soccer, much less, market their program. Can a player and their family do some of these things or must it all be done by the coaches? How do states like Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, etc. select their high school players of the year? Perhaps, these states have a strong system in place for choosing their POY.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard