Quote:

So no, I don't think HS soccer impedes the development of top players. Danny Cates was a national pool player and he carried DF his senior year.

Fair enough. We differ on this but I respectfully disagree. I too like high school soccer allowing communities to compete against each other - but that is not the topic of this thread. Once again, I believe for the majority of your classic level players high school season does not necessarily impede their development. However; for your top level premier/academy players I personally believe high school ball may impede their development because of the level of competition not being as strong.(Particularly at high school practice). If you look at the SC United U16 and U 18 rosters they are pretty much teams full of the best players from high schools in the midlands and lower state. (I realize CESA gets some top level players from other parts of the state and SC United gets some from other parts of the state too). For most of these top level players they are constantly being pushed if they want playing time. Sure it may be presure filled but they know it is what they will be facing at the college level and they better learn to deal with it. As far as the Danny Cates issue not sure what him carrying his team at Dutch Fork has to do with anything. The real question there is did he reach his full potential in high school or could he have even been better yet had he played for his Lexington club team year round? That's like saying is Joe Amon from Summerville High better off at the Bradenton residency program or at Summerville High? For goodness sake we better hope Bradenton or the National team is in some more kind of trouble).

Does this mean they don't enjoy high school ball? Certainly not - most I know will tell you they very much enjoy playing for their school. But once again - that is not the question of this thread.