"We really need to revise the whole taxation structure in SC to help prevent these drastic measures from repeating themselves in the future. I asked many questions hypothetically here to get you thinking. What I am really saying is we need to advocate for education, tax structure (a total re-write), "

I totally agree. It has never ceased to amaze me that in a state that prides itself on conservatism and an anti-Washington distrust of government.....things like what they have done with school funding could happen.

If you really believe in less government...and if you really believe in the idea that the best government is local government and that the further away you get from "the people", the less government will reflect the will of the people...then you should be appalled at whats happened with school funding.

But in SC.....we are not really conservative and we don't really believe in less government or a government that stays out of the lives of citizens. We don't want WASHINGTON interfering with South Carolina....but its perfectly ok for Columbia to interfere with York COunty or Spartanburg COunty or Horry County. This state isn't about less government.....its about MY government, not yours. Its a control factor......period.

The state should mandate a basic level of expectation for education. If an area chooses to prioritize and invest further in eduction.....that is our right if we live here and are willing and able to pay for it. By taking away local funding of schools the state has centralized control.

I believe that local schools are best funded locally. If the locale cannot fund sufficiently to meet min state standards, the state should assist. And if my tax dollars in York County (income or sales) go to help out a poor school district elsewhere in SC....I'm ok with that. As a South Carolinian I believe that to be part of my responsibility.

But if we want great schools here then I'm ok with paying property taxes on my home that stay here in my district.

Fact.....I lived for a couple of years in Connecticut and my wife and I bought our first home there in 1989, a condo that was about 1200 sq feet. I now live in a 3000 sq foot modern, brick home. In 2010 my property taxes are about 40% lower than what we paid CT back in 1989. And before someone makes a comment about CT property taxes...we had no state income tax at the time.

Property taxes should fund local services (like schools). To co-mingle local money with state money is like putting the fox in charge of the chicken coop.