Quote:

My team wasn't particularly diverse, but it would have been fascinating to see the religious and cultural differences in pre-game "rituals" if it had been. Then, no one feels left out and you learn tolerance and respect for everyone's particular faith.

I agree with the point you're making. And, while your team may not have been diverse, my daughter's carpool was. For four years (U-11 through U-14) I had the privilege of carrying three players to and from club practice. One was Protestant, one Jewish and one Catholic.

My privilege was to listen to those three young ladies as they discussed each other's customs and beliefs regarding their different holidays, etc. I never entered the conversations, just to be able to listen was special enough. Growing up as the friends they became they would attend each other's confirmations, bah mitzvah, etc., and compete fiercely together as teammates on the field.

It would have been a shame if after stepping out of the car they stepped into a pre-game "ritual" or environment that made one or another feel left out or uncomfortable, or worse jeopardized the open exchange of ideas and beliefs they enjoyed in the car.

Two of the players (Catholic and Jewish) went on to play together in high school. As do other teams their high school team also made accommodations for a pre-game prayer. However, to avoid the environment you describe here is how that team did, and still does, handle it.

If the team is to arrive at the locker room one hour before game time, those wishing to participate in a pre-game team prayer or devotion know to arrive 15-20 minutes early. Those arriving early participate in a pre-game team prayer in the locker room, and those not wishing to participate arrive at the scheduled 1 hour prior to game time.

The event takes place in the relative privacy of the team locker room rather than on the field and avoids the potential discomfort or pressure some of the team may have felt by not participating on the field.