Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
World Cup
Online Content
World Cup
Quote:

Thanks for that info. I could not readily find.

As an aside, how does NC deal with Academy or R3PL in the Fall when their high school season is going on in the Fall? Folks are belly aching about SC high school kids practicing or going to play in tournament games on the weekends. It must be a constant clash in NC?

Someone told me SC used to play in the Fall (I have only been here 6 years so I have no idea), but football coaches did not want the soccer teams on the fields where schools had to share the field. Any truth to this?

Incorrect. South Carolina has never had high school soccer as a fall sport, but it did exist until 1986 as a Winter sport. It moved to the Spring in 1986 and has been there since.

D
throw in
throw in
D
Thanks for setting the record straight.

Winter sport, huh? Bet the Upstate teams really enjoyed training. Bet the gate has improved moving to the Spring as well.

Kevin, has their ever been any consideration to standardizing the days teams play during week (e.g. Tuesday nights and Friday nights)? This would be similar to say EPL (mid-week and weekend fixtures). Reason I ask, is because I think high school soccer would draw more casual fans if it were on set nights versus where it is all over the place each week currently and unless you are junkies like the folks on the forum, you do not really know when the teams play. I also think you would get more high school students to come out (especially Friday nights). I can not think of a better place to take a date for entertainment (cheaper than a movie).

D
Goal
Goal
D
Quote:

I see where some upstate High School Players are scheduled to play in a Tournament in Richmond thius coming weekend and their High Schools have games scheduled as well.

Some high school players from around the state will also be playing with club teams in Las Vegas this weekend.

I think the real difficulty both in scheduling as well as player fatigue comes a little later in the high school season, when teams are scheduling rain dates for region games. Throw in a club team tournament on the weekend and a college showcase friendly during the week, and I've known players to play 9-10 games in as many days.

A body has to have an opportunity to recuperate, and a student has to have an opportunity to study.

world cup
world cup
Marvin Ridge HS (Charlotte, NC area) had to postpone a match yesterday (Friday) because eight of their girls are in Las Vegas.

Nice problem to have.

Kids play sports because they find it fun. Eliminate the fun and soon you eliminate the kid.
hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

Thanks for setting the record straight.

Winter sport, huh? Bet the Upstate teams really enjoyed training. Bet the gate has improved moving to the Spring as well.

Kevin, has their ever been any consideration to standardizing the days teams play during week (e.g. Tuesday nights and Friday nights)? This would be similar to say EPL (mid-week and weekend fixtures). Reason I ask, is because I think high school soccer would draw more casual fans if it were on set nights versus where it is all over the place each week currently and unless you are junkies like the folks on the forum, you do not really know when the teams play. I also think you would get more high school students to come out (especially Friday nights). I can not think of a better place to take a date for entertainment (cheaper than a movie).

Most of the high school games in the Columbia area are played on Tuesdays and Fridays which is a problem with the limited number of referees. Especially when many of the referees are sitting in the stands on Tues & Fri watching their sons or daughters play as I did when mine were playing. I think the high schools should do a better job of spreading the games out Mon-Fri. That way there would easily be enough referees for 3 per match.

hat-trick
hat-trick
Quote:

I agree that, theoretically, a player practicing 5-6 days a week (high school) ...

What high school teams can get 5-6 practices a week during the season? With 2-3 games per week, we were lucky to get in 3 good practices a week. You don't want to work them too hard the day before a game and the day after a game is always a challenge to get a good effort out of the players.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard